Start by marking “The Joy of Signing: The Illustrated Guide for Mastering Sign Language and the Manual Alphabet” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  345 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Teaches sign language in senteces rather than individual words. Includes graphic drawings, index, and sadditional learning tools.
Published January 1st 1987 by Gospel Publishing House (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Signing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Signing

Lisa Vegan
Mar 09, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn ASL-American Sign Language
I read through this many times when I first got it. It was by far the best resource for learning some American Sign Language. Of course, since I’ve had nobody to practice with or converse with for over 20 years, I’ve forgotten all I’d learned. But I still have the book and it remains a helpful reference book.
Linda
Jun 14, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok
Many signs are outdated. The book is well organized and lovely but it is in desperate need of a revision.
Bailey Jane
Dec 27, 2008 Bailey Jane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: professors,speech pathologists,audiologists,hearing impaired,relatives of hearing impaired
Recommended to Bailey Jane by: professors
This is the EASIEST book if you're wishing to learn ASL. It was what we used in college and it really does make the language simple (or as simple as it can be for a beginner) and fun to understand. A total must for the "communication disorders" major in all of us.
Allison
Jun 18, 2014 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: career-help
This book pieces together sentences for you somewhat. It is a help if you aren't sure how to really put together words but if you are trying to learn then a dictionary is more useful. I did go through this several times to see just how some stuff works. This is more of a bonus learning book though rather than something you want to rely heavily on. If you want to learn sign language though then I suggest you try several different books. This one is a decent one for sentence structure.

Happy Readi
anca dc
Jan 13, 2012 anca dc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007-and-before, 2012
I received this book as a gift while I was in high-school. That was the time when I started to be interested in deaf people and their sign language. At that time I was dreaming of starting to be involved in the small community of deaf people from my town but, against the fact that I tried, it didn't lead anywhere. Since than I kindda of abandoned this dream but the desire to have some kind of connection with death people, to enter in their world was still deep down in my heart. Starting with thi ...more
Ila Cokonougher blair
It is a good book. Had to take the class for my Associates Degree in Office Systems.
Boudreaux
If you want to learn to sign, this is probably the book for you...
SouthWestZippy
Jan 19, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it it was amazing
Great book, easy to understand.
Sheila
Jun 23, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: foreign-language
This sign language reference book has occupied a spot on my shelves for over 20 years. It is set up similar to a dictionary, with chapters where related signs are grouped together. There is also a large index at the back of the book to enable the user to easily look up a specific sign, and the illustrations for each sign are well drawn and easy to understand. I would recommend this book for anyone interested in learning the basics of sign language.
Marlyn
Jul 21, 2011 Marlyn rated it really liked it
Went to a sign language class with the family and enjoyed it so much that I bought the Joy of Signing. My granddaughter and I had a great time learing new words and also taught ourselves how to do the Our Father. I've always liked shorthand and signing but have never spent the time it takes to make me profecient at either one. Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. A little knowledge is better than none at all.
Kat
Jun 25, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
I think this book is a must have for anyone who is learning or wants to learn sign language. It is so easy to look up any word. The words are grouped by categories, and the illustrations are easy to understand. I have never become a pro at sign language like I wanted to about 20 years ago when I was a teenager, but sometimes I still look up words and figure out how to sign things!
Maia
May 15, 2007 Maia rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to learn sign language from; the illustrations are clear and well-explained, including origins of the signs to help you remember them. Instead of being grouped alphabetically, the signs are grouped by subject, such as people, pronouns, household, etc, so that you can get a sense of the similarites between related signs.
Mario
Feb 28, 2009 Mario added it
Extremely Helpful- A Must Needs!: Anyone involved in or interested in sign language, I highly recommend you purchase this book. I am involved in a sign team at our church & this book has been very helpful in looking up signs to our songs. It is a GREAT learning tool!
Suzanne Stewart
Sep 01, 2012 Suzanne Stewart rated it really liked it
This book is a good combination of many signs although somewhat outdated now, it's still a good collection of sign language. It's not a true ASL book or anything but if you need to look up a sign, it's usually in there..
TamTam
Apr 16, 2012 TamTam rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
I do like this book.

It is separated by different categories. Not by handshape, but by subject. Family. Food. You get it. Helpful for learning signs that relate to each other.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 21, 2011 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone in need of acquiring the sign language skill
This is a wonderful guide to learning the sign language art, however, I'm by no means a practitioner of it... I've always enjoyed perusing the volume though...
Hilary Dawson
Mar 12, 2012 Hilary Dawson rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Sarah Wainscott
Recommended to me by my sister & her husband (a sign-language interpreter). Working to build my sign skills in time for the arrival of my new niece.
Dan
Dec 19, 2015 Dan rated it it was ok
This book is not a joy. The introductions are written in the driest language imaginable. There isn't any color.
Terri
Feb 24, 2008 Terri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help-books
I had this book for years but gave to someone who would use it. Never got it back .. that okay. This book helps .
Patti
Dec 10, 2010 Patti rated it it was amazing
Completed class with an "A". Recommend the class at Atlantic Cape, learned a lot and had fun.
Moose
Feb 01, 2009 Moose rated it really liked it
I am so consumed by my sign language class that I have not read a real book since joy luck club!!
Sara
Dec 03, 2007 Sara rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to learn the basics of Sign Language. Any beginner should have a copy.
Jacqueline
May 22, 2014 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
A great beginners guide to ASL! I would highly recommend it to anyone just starting out.
Mimi
Jun 19, 2011 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for reference but hard to find individual words.
Gzchealsea
Sep 16, 2012 Gzchealsea rated it it was amazing
Really like it helped me alot to learn sign language
Joey
Oct 11, 2012 Joey rated it really liked it
Its a little inaccurate... But it still helped me learn! :D
Jessica
Nov 22, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Excellent reference guide. Highly recommended.
Cristen
Jan 04, 2011 Cristen is currently reading it
another book i use for my songs
Kathryn Bauss
Oct 12, 2010 Kathryn Bauss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reference for story time signing.
Janet Willmann
Jul 08, 2013 Janet Willmann rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for the beginner!
  • Signing Naturally: Student Videotext and Workbook Level 1
  • For Hearing People Only: Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Questions About the Deaf Community, Its Culture, and the "Deaf Reality"
  • Random House Webster's American Sign Language Dictionary
  • Inside Deaf Culture
  • American Sign Language Dictionary
  • When the Mind Hears: A History of the Deaf
  • Talking Hands: What Sign Language Reveals about the Mind
  • Train Go Sorry: Inside a Deaf World
  • Pocket Dictionary of Signing, Revised and Expanded
  • Talking with Your Hands, Listening with Your Eyes: A Complete Photographic Guide to American Sign Language
  • The New York Public Library Science Desk Reference
  • Crazy English
  • A Loss for Words: The Story of Deafness in a Family
  • Deaf Like Me
  • 501 French Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses and Moods in a New Easy-To-Learn Format, Alphabetically Arranged
  • A Place of Their Own: Creating the Deaf Community in America