Start by marking “30 Days of Night: Rumors of the Undead” as Want to Read:
30 Days of Night: Rumors of the Undead

30 Days of Night: Rumors of the Undead (30 Days of Night novels #1)

30 Days of Night novel #1.

FBI Special Agent Andy Gray used to have a grip on things. But that was before the violent confrontation with the terrifying creature that had once been his former partner and friend turned his world upside down. Now Gray is looking for some answers, and finding only more questions, all of which seem to lead straight to the backwater town of Barro
Published March 2006 by Simon & Schuster Pocket Star (first published February 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 30 Days of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30 Days of Night

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Your Top 5 Reads in 2012
381st out of 673 books — 856 voters
Possession of My Soul by Kia Carrington-RussellPhantom Wolf by Kia Carrington-RussellMoon Called by Patricia BriggsResurgent Shadows by Kevin L. NielsenKeeper of the Unicorns by Sahara Foley
Urban Fantasy Favorites
135th out of 145 books — 227 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
I was prepared to really enjoy this book, but instead found myself totally underwhelmed. Whereas the movie (and, I figured, the book)focuses on what happens to the town of Barrow, Alaska, this book puts that incident in the background and instead focuses on FBI Special Agent Andy Gray.

Based some time after those events in Barrow, Andy is trying to figure out exactly what happend to his partner, Paul. He spends a lot of time going back and forth with himself (Is Paul a vampire? There's no such th
John
Apr 05, 2015 John rated it liked it
I didn't care for either of the 30 DAYS OF NIGHT movies that got released, but I enjoyed this. (Haven't read the actual comic books yet.) RUMORS OF THE UNDEAD is pretty standard vampire fare, but better-written than what you generally expect from novels based on comics. The story, despite being generic and rather slow, is unpredictable and does a good job of setting the stage for the next installment of the trilogy. My main beef with this novel has to do with the main character's erratic--border ...more
Hayley
Apr 09, 2008 Hayley rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I had seen the film 30 Days of Nights adn didn't realise there was a series of books that the film was based on. I got this book from the Library but I couldn't find the first in the series, so having a basic knowledge of the book could fall into reading this quite easily.
I'm a true horror book fan and this hits the spot in terms of scaring the shit out of me - luckly I was reading this during the daytime (having watched the film and not being able to sleep for 3 nights after was not something I
Ana Mardoll
Mar 01, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it liked it
Shelves: ana-reviewed
30 Days of Night: Rumors of the Undead / 978-0-7434-9651-3

"Rumors of the Undead" takes place after the '30 days of night' in Barrow, Alaska, where nearly the entire population of an isolated arctic town is massacred by vampires under an extended cover of darkness. Rather than being a direct sequel, however, "Rumors" follows in the footsteps of an FBI agent assigned to keep an eye on Stella Olemaun, one of the few survivors of that massacre, and author of a tell-all vampire expose book.

The basic
Jorge Bleisen (Retrospecktiva Books)
Aunque no he visto las películas basadas en la obra original de Steve Niles (debo confesar que no soy adepto del cine de terror, me pone de malas) el haber encontrado este libro fue una oportunidad que no pude dejar escapar, ya que desde que he oído hablar de la saga, supuse que este sería el mejor modo de conocer de qué se trataba.

¡Y vaya que no me he equivocado! Esta novela contiene fragmentos narrados por uno de los protagonistas de la historia principal, Stella Olemaun, quien narra los hecho
Jwest82
Sep 02, 2014 Jwest82 rated it really liked it
Having been familiar with the "30 Days of Night" graphic novels I picked this book up. I enjoyed the brutality of the vampires as they are portrayed in the series. Not to say I enjoy brutality, but the concept of an immortal being that truly has little to fear from its prey would lend such a being to enjoy the type of power that these vampires do. Using the fear of the darkness they really make you think that no matter where you hide it will only be a matter of time before you are found. These a ...more
Carlos Garcia
Vampiros. Pero de los de verdad, de los que dan miedo. No esos vampiros adolescentes brillantes enamoradizos, ni siquiera vampiros clasicos de sentimientos encontrados entre el amor y el deseo de sangre. Vampiros. Monstruos sedientos de sangre que solo ven al ser humano como una bolsa de supermercado llena de comida. Implacables y capaces de cualquier atrocidad porque, ¿que problema hay si juegas un poco con la comida?. Un comic excepcional y una novela mas que aceptable, digna sucesora del comi ...more
BookMarc
Apr 15, 2010 BookMarc rated it it was amazing
If you are one of those people that have only seen the movie '30 Days of Night' then STOP!! Do not sigh already and move on to something else as I can assure you this book is actually very different from the not too great offering served up on the big screen.
While books such as the Twilight series have received critical acclaim the '30 Days of Night' series seems to have passed unnoticed by many. This, dear reader, is a damn shame as it offers up a fresh perspective on our bloodsucking friends.
Kyle Cheuvront
Jul 24, 2015 Kyle Cheuvront rated it really liked it
I have never read any 30 Days Of Night comics nor have I seen the movie or anything else before reading this book. I was vaguely familiar with the concept but haven't quite jumped into this series yet for whatever reason. But I'm a huge fan of Steve Niles and can't get enough of his Cal McDonald series and couldn't pass up on buying this book when I randomly found it at a used book store.

So with no prior background with 30 Days of Night, I must say I jumped right in with ease and really enjoyed
S-S-Long
Sep 16, 2016 S-S-Long rated it it was amazing
Very good book. I don't know how well this fits in with the rest of 30 Days of Night canon, as I'm unfamiliar with the comic books, but I still enjoyed it anyway!
William
Dec 23, 2013 William rated it really liked it
A pesar de que los autores aconsejan que no es "obligatorio" haber leído los cómics para disfrutar de la obra, es recomendable, ya que sabrás a que personajes se hace referencia y disfrutaras mas la novela.
En general es una buena novela de vampiros malvados no de los que brillan. No es un libro para quebrarte la cabeza ni mucho menos, pero si es entretenido y cumple bien su objetivo que es brindarte una buena historia.
Y bien, para los que solo han visto la película es mejor tal vez dar una leída
Deviancy
Apr 22, 2008 Deviancy rated it it was amazing
The comics began to get semi pathetic, the stories took a dive and the characters became lacking. It seems as if what made 30 Days of Night good had moved on to the novels instead of the comics, this book is a good example of that. The characters are likable, the vampires are vile, and the story is actually chilling.

Fans of the vampire genre should check Rumors of the Undead out.
Mike Jozic
Apr 25, 2016 Mike Jozic rated it really liked it
At times this book seems kind of aimless, with the main character's quest to reveal the existence of vampires to the world taking precedence over any plot or character advancement. it was, however, a hard book for me to put down. Crawling around the fringes of Steve Niles' world was enjoyable and I liked seeing the gaps between the main story fleshed out.
William
Jan 27, 2009 William rated it it was ok
Fairly typical, low-grade vampire fare. However, part of it took place in Madison, WI and I got a secret (sick?) thrill when reading about hookers being attacked at an address that is just around the corner from my house and then another one when one of the characters (whose fate I shall not divulge) turned out to be on the faculty at UW-Madison.
Jason
Aug 30, 2009 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: horror-thriller
Pretty interesting read. Picked this one up because I just saw the movie 30 days of night and really enjoyed it. Apparently the author wrote the graphic novel the movie is based on and this is sort of a continuation of that story, mostly from the standpoint of an FBI agent who stumbles across the existence of vampires. I enjoyed it.
LadyCroft86
Nov 05, 2010 LadyCroft86 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
This was entertaining but the writing wasn't the best. There were big descriptions for mundane things like some on making dinner, that isn't important to the story. It just makes reading it tedious. Overall the story was entertaining and I liked that you get to see Barrow again. Hopefully Eben and Stella will come back in the next books.
Alondra
Jul 08, 2012 Alondra rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like their vamps un-sparkled
Wow; that was pretty good. Nothing like a little blood and gore to get your juices flowing. The book was entertaining, but the main character was a complete idiot with how he handled EVERYTHING. I mean, who is that dumb. Read the book and you will know what I mean.

3 Stars, no halves.
Titus Hjelm
Jul 29, 2011 Titus Hjelm rated it really liked it
Certainly not high literature, but the story was entertaining and I especially liked the portrayal of the vampires in book. If you're tired of the guilt-ridden romantic vampire a la Anne Rice (I certainly seem to be...) then this is the antidote.
H3yd00
Jan 14, 2008 H3yd00 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2006
I don't usually read vampire stories, but this one was very good. Almost enough to restore my faith in that particular sub-genre. The vampires in this book were nasty and mean, as they should be. :)

Good story.
Princess Allie
Oct 23, 2007 Princess Allie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mean Vampires
I thought this novel was better then the graphic novel. I[ve read so many tame vampires I forgot how scary savage vampires can be. Specially, when we look like food to them. It was an entertaining read. Recommend.
Meghann
Apr 02, 2012 Meghann rated it liked it
Really great novel. Not necessary to read the series, but will add to the enjoyment of both as they both reference specific events occurring at the same time in both. The ending climax was especially great.
Ashley
Feb 09, 2016 Ashley marked it as to-read
#
NC
Own in paperback.

FS: "I can't be absolutely accurate when it all began."

LS: "Roared in exhaustion. In grief. In triumph."
Joseph
Aug 16, 2012 Joseph rated it really liked it
fills in many gaps that the comic books left, also takes a side character and gives him a background story. very good read
Sheri
Jul 30, 2012 Sheri rated it really liked it
Pretty intereting, I liked that it was new characters. Gives you an insight to the hunter and the huntee, however you define it.
Tek
Jan 12, 2009 Tek rated it liked it
Not a bad book. Very visual. Not too deep but overall enjoyable. Made me want to read the graphic novels.
Ben Grad
Feb 08, 2008 Ben Grad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
A thriller. A great spinoff novel of the graphic novels that revolve around the vampire incident in alaska.
Brett Botbyl
Jun 25, 2009 Brett Botbyl rated it really liked it
Ok. Say what you will. I enjoyed this one. A nice continuation of the 30 Days storyline. Love dem vamps!
PY Bookish Girl
I kinda bored in reading this but in some parts I enjoyed it...maybe there are some parts that lacks diction.
Launiquela
Apr 25, 2010 Launiquela rated it really liked it
I have never read a vampire book before this one. This book was great and had lots of excitement.
Dariosarus
Jul 19, 2012 Dariosarus rated it really liked it

This book tied the movies together and ended with a very surprising conclusion!!!
Goodreads Librari...: 9780743496513 3 14 Jun 29, 2012 02:23PM
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 4: Bloodsucker Tales
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 6: Spreading the Disease
  • 30 Days of Night: Light of Day
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 8: Red Snow
  • Tapping the Vein: Book Two (Tapping the Vein #2)
  • L'Incal: Ce qui est en haut (The Incal, #4)
  • Lovecraft
  • Mort Cinder
  • The House on the Borderland
  • 30 Days of Night: Official Novelization of The Film
  • Minor Miracles
Also writes as Jeff Mariotte

Jeffrey J. Mariotte is the bestselling, award-winning author of more than fifty novels, including thrillers Empty Rooms and The Devil's Bait, supernatural thrillers Season of the Wolf, Missing White Girl, River Runs Red, and Cold Black Hearts, horror epic The Slab, tand the Dark Vengeance teen horror quartet. His newest novel--written with wife and writing partner Marsh
More about Jeffrey J. Mariotte...

30 Days of Night novels (6 books)
  • 30 Days of Night: Immortal Remains
  • 30 Days of Night: Eternal Damnation: Book 3 (30 Days of Night)
  • 30 Days of Night: Light of Day