The Boys, Volume 2: Get Some

The Boys, Volume 2: Get Some (The Boys #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  2,628 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Features the legend the story of the Tek-Knight and the team's journey to frozen Russia.
Published March 4th 2008 by Dynamite Entertainment (first published March 3rd 2008)

mark monday
in this second installment, our ragtag band of super-powered types who monitor other super-powered types visit Gay World and then Russia.

here's a story:

so this public figure decides to get some community cred, some faggy version of Up With The People, by doing outreach to the fag community. he's a good-looking guy, so of course all the queers rally around him, and one of the younger homos even falls in love with him. well, we all know about gaydar - but did you know that some gaylords also have...more
Stephen
4.0 stars. This series is NOT for the faint of heart or those easily offended. Dark, brutal, violent and at times disturbing. However, it is also original, well written and superbly plotted. Highly Recommended (with the above caveat).
Gavin
Boy does Garth Ennis despise Batman/Robin/Nightwing. The entire first story is a not-so-thinly veiled takedown. There's also some venom for Wolverine if you pay close attention.
That being said, this series is all about how Supes are assholes, and this goes well with proving that. It also adds dimension to Butcher and Hughie, as well as their relationship dynamic. Not as much on the other three, but I think that might be OK with me so far.
The first story seems to be an analysis of the treatment o...more
Meran
Book #2 is a little calmer on the disgusting stuff. Still there though.

As Book #1, its premise is one close to my heart: every time I read a comic or book (or watch a superhero movie), I always ask the question: "But what about the people that bomb killed?" or "but the train fell off the cliff.. sure, it saved the town, but what about the people ON THE TRAIN?" Silly I know. It's just make-believe. But still! Really!!

This series answers those concerns and sheds a very strong spotlight on the 'sup...more
Mike
Good job on Ennis, not repeating the plotline from book one (which would've been so easy to do and still fun - but not this much). This gets deeper, more serious and takes us behind the facade to get to know Butcher and his connections.

There's a sense of disappointment I can't quite shake tho - after the first book blew my mind, this feels a bit of a letdown. Like as if not every page from here on out will make me pee my pants with how much Ennis hates supes - which I guess he doesn't - but man...more
Jeffrey
First for the disclaimer: this series is meant for a mature audience!!! Ok, now that we have that out of the way we can get on with the review. The writing is superb, drawing the reader into the story with ease. Some of the jokes had me gasping for breath only to find myself gasping at something ludicrous a page later. Yes, the violence, language and adult situations are gratuitous, but somehow that is what makes the book and series so enjoyable. Set aside any expectations of this being a superh...more
Elh R'
A hell of a comic this is, it have all that I search on a story : blood, sex, insults ... And most of all, it's a really intelligent story.

The book is divided in two arcs, the first one taking on homophobic and murder. A character that resembles Batman, with a serious fuck-it-all problem, and his sidekick. The second arc taking place in Russia and not-so-much into superheroes, they are here, but they are not the center of the story.

The only thing that I dislike, and it's a personal matter, is...more
Sonic
I have been unsure how I felt about this and therefore unsure of how to review it,...

for the most part I liked the abrasive in-your-face flavor,...
it makes you think,...

but some of it seemed unnecessarily convoluted,...

but on the whole I enjoyed it, and would probably consider getting the next book.

Also, some of it made me laugh my ass off.
Arminzerella
Gayle Francis Moffet
Let's be honest, this is a love it or hate it book. As I appreciate well-done, audacious violence, sex, and swearing, book 2 was as enjoyable as book 1, but if you're not into violence, sex, or swearing (or even just not into a LOT), no matter my enjoyment, it's not gonna be your bag.

But if it might be your bag, if you've heard about The Boys and found yourself intrigued, know this: book 2 builds up from book 1. There's still plenty of violence and sex and swearing, but there's also an actual ar...more
Tom
This second volume of the Boys covers two story arcs; Get Some and Glorious Five Year Plan. As with Name of the Game there is plenty of violence and humour to keep you satisfied if thats all you want from a comic - especially in Glorious Five Year Plan which features exploding vibrators and the introduction of communist ex-superhero Love Sausage who steals the show and delivers some of the most hilarious lines of the series thus far.

Get Some takes a bit of a different turn for the series; the v...more
Bobbi Kyle
Oct 04, 2013 Bobbi Kyle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bobbi by: Thrista
Shelves: graphic-novel
Now for those who read my last post on The Boys Volume 1: Name of the Game know that this series is very hard to describe! The word intense comes to mind. The artwork and story line tend to be very graphic. The language can be crude, so if your sensitive to those types of things, don't pick this up. On the flip side if you are looking for good chuckle or surprises while reading, this is a MUST READ!

Now The Boys series follows a group extreme killers with various skills. The world is over run wit...more
Mikael Kuoppala
The second installment to "The Boys" series does what I hoped for after reading the goofy but nicely daring opening volume. "Get Some" finally tackles some actual themes and issues to go along with the witty bantering and shock effects that Garth Ennis admittedly does know how to write.

The majority of the book covers a story about a murder of a young homosexual man connected to a superhero who's built his image around gay activism. Ennis makes some truly poignant observations about homophobia, b...more
Erik
Get Some collects the next two story-arcs that take us again into the unsavory under-belly of the superhero world. The first involves a sex-obsessed Batman-style hero, named the Tek Knight, who will feels a compulsion to f*ck anything that moves and who gets himself involved in a bizarre sex-triangle & murder (an awful combination of problems, you must admit). All while the second takes the cast of the Boys to Mother Russia to combat the horny Tsarina Nina and her sordid and sex-depraved all...more
Jonathan Schildbach
I like this book in spite of myself. The violence is pretty standard-issue Ennis, but he seems to get more over-the-top with the sexual content, which is essentially junior-high-level sexual humor. On some level, I guess I admire him for committing to it, but mostly I just roll my eyes at how obvious and dumb it is, and wonder who it's supposed to appeal to, given that this is a "mature" title.

I'm also a little confused at Ennis' suggestion in the first story arc that one can use demeaning langu...more
Does Garth have a problem with people who are gay? I really wondered this while reading one of the stories in this Volume. I just got a vibe he does but sprinkled it like he doesn't. Really it's not my concern if he does or doesn't but the storyline kind of irked me.

I understand fully well that all the characters are rather crude but there is a point when flipping through the trade and on every second page and the 'c'* word crops up gets a little bit stupid. All the swearing that went on to just...more
The Man In The Hat
I never thought I'd say this about anything, but there was too much sex and violence.

I don't have a problem with sex and violence, even gratuitous sex and violence, I'm a fan. But there are two stories in this book and halfway through the first story I was getting bored because all there was was sex and violence. The wafer-thin plot should have been wrapped up in one issue but instead the writer threw in so much sex and violence that it lasted 4! Absolutely absurd.
The second story was much bette...more
Jeremy Muse
This series is crazy. Naughty things super heroes do and the people that keep them under control. It's naughty, in your face, entertainment. This volume is a little more subdued than the original volume, but very fun to read.
Jason
It's certainly a matter of taste, but the endless violence and sexual perversion does wear on a reader after a bit. There's a lot that's still funny and original here, but I'll need a break before I tackle volume 3.
Dufour
Not nearly as shocking and outrageous as the first volume, GET SOME is still Garth Ennis taking the piss out of superheroes. Of the two stories presented here, the first is really the jewel; the second not so much. But still, neither rises to the level of craziness embodied in the first volume. Ennis seems to be building his larger narrative with the Vought-American connection, so I assume he's going somewhere with the series as a whole and not just enjoying himself as he ratfucks superheroes.

Ob...more
Korynn
After the utter depravity of the first volume I had great hopes for the second. At first, I was not disappointed, the unfortunate sexual problems the Tek Knight is suffering are ridiculous and otherwise hilarious, but the resolution is completely over the top and somehow a let down. This is followed by a story-arc in which the Boys go to Russia that I think is not up to the usual standards. We have a woman with a vibrator (oh ha.) and a superhero named Love Sausage. It sounds like a bad joke tol...more
Timothy Boyd
The twisted story of what superheroes are really like continues, this time in Russia. A very different comic series. Good entertaining read if somewhat odd. Recommended
Brendan Nicholls
the first laid the foundation but this conspiracy story was brilliant. the story is just geting started here but already I fear thr best has been delivered
Brad
Sep 20, 2009 Brad rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
The jokes and the characters in this vicious satire were fine, but the two stories in this book just dragged. The first, a new take on Batman's Seduction of the Innocent/homosexual undertones, just drags on through a murder investigation that ends fairly unsatisfactory. (Actually the post-script is an acceptably perverse ending to the story of Tek-Knight.) The second story, involving Russian superheroes and post-cold war intrigue, is even more of a mess.
Jessica
The ending redeemed it a bit. I felt that this book moved much slower than the last one. I'm going to move on to the next one, though. For some reason, I found that starting in Thirteen through the end that Little Hughie looked different.
Saturday22
Better than the first. Can't wait to read the next one.
Kirsty
As this story continues I like it more and more.

It's hilarious, dark, tackles issues and is frankly quite brutal.

I found the introduction of Love Sausage one of the best things about volume 2, he is a funny guy and I hope we get to see more of him, hopefully not in costume though, that was a little too much for my innocent eyes.

I am looking forward to reading volume 3. I'm still madly in love with The Frenchman.

Recommended to those who are not of a nervous disposition.
Goose
As I feared, not a lot of character development in the ongoing saga of The Boys. Two story arcs here. The first concerning a dead homosexual, a priapic hero in a mechanical suit, and horny devil of a former side kick. The second concerning the possible overthrow of Russia as schemed up by a giant vibrator using sociopathic short woman. Sorry but not all the tittering "oooo boobies" and "oooo violence" scenes can help this collection with anyone over the age of 16.
Federiken Masters
Mar 02, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Iconoclastas
Recommended to Federiken by: El #1.
Después de un tomo introductorio la mar de interesante e incorrecto, llega otro... bastante parecido. Los casos a los que se enfrentan en este volumen tienen bastantes diferencias con los del anterior, pero se respira más o menos lo mismo: mala leche, humor ingenioso y escatológico por partes iguales, teorías conspirativas asquerosamente verosímiles y mucha diversión. Sin duda no será el mejor exponente de la serie, pero sí es un muy buen comic antisuperheróico.
Devowasright
the anti-gay remarks in the first bit were quite a put-off, to the point i almost didn't want to keep reading, but the whole attitude was in fact quite necessary to the story. (i should have had more faith in garth). by the end of this book, i was laughing out loud on a pagely basis. all worth it just for the russian supe "love sausage". oh yes.

(though like with many ennis tales, at the end i hear the phrase "you read it, you can't un-read it")
  • Black Summer
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 3
  • Invincible, Vol. 2: Eight is Enough
  • Northlanders Vol. 2: The Cross and the Hammer
  • Scalped, Volume 5: High Lonesome
  • Wormwood, Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 3: Calamari Rising
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 7: Ex Cathedra (Ex Machina, #7)
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch...more
More about Garth Ennis...
Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas Preacher, Volume 2: Until the End of the World Preacher, Volume 3: Proud Americans Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun