Start by marking “The Stranger Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Stranger Next Door

The Stranger Next Door (Pete the Cat #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  518 ratings  ·  50 reviews
If there’s a mystery to be solved, Pete’s your man. Er, your cat. Pete’s a cat, specifically, Alex’s cat. And since Alex and his family moved into a new housing development, Pete is Alex’s only friend. Things start looking up for Alex when Rocky moves in next door. But Rocky isn’t very friendly, and Alex starts to suspect he’s hiding something. And when the neighborhood is ...more
Published June 19th 2008 by Puffin Books (first published April 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stranger Next Door

Kris by Patrick O'ScheenDewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperInto the Wild by Erin HunterCleo by Helen Brown
Best Cat Books
146th out of 159 books — 65 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
377th out of 587 books — 290 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan Carlo Foz
The Stranger Next Door is the second book I've read from Peg Kehret. Just like the first one, Peg Kehret did not fail to deliver a very simple yet so much fun story. Everyone will love the characters in this book especially Benjie and Pete the cat. It's amazing how the book can still appeal to persons like me who are no longer considered "children." How I wish I was able to read Peg Kehret works when I was still a little kid.

The overall story was so smooth that you will end up reading this book
MacKenzie Z
Carol
I liked the story. The plot moved well. It didn't get stuck anywhere. You get a good idea of the main characters, what they think and feel. The author has won numerous awards for her childrens' books.

As a writer myself I try to pay attention to construction, point of view and showing vs. telling when I read. That way I can learn from successful authors. This writer changed points of view in the middle of chapters and changed scenes without an indication. I was able to follow the story well beca
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
I liked Spy Cat a lot better. Rocky just moved into a new housing development, but he had to leave behind all his stuff, his house, his dog...and his name. His real name is Clifford, and a gang of drug dealers are after his family, so they had to change their names, they had to move to a new house, and stay low until his mother's testimony against the drug gang is done. Meanwhile, a mysterious arsonist is threatening the neighborhood where Alex, his cat Pete, and his family live. Rocky's house i ...more
Jim
Aug 20, 2007 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loved 'The Cable Guy'.
I never saw The Cable Guy. Knowing the premise of the film was enough to put me off. The Stranger Next Door is very similar, a couple move to a little retirement cottage where they hope to live quietly until they die. All is fine for a week until their next door neighbour, the monosyllabic Mr Bernardin, comes calling. This visit is uncomfortable, he seems to want to do nothing but sit in silence, but at least he finally leaves only to come back the next day and then the nest and then the next.

Wh
Whitney
I think that the book was amazing in just tell chapter five. Why I gave The Stranger Next Door four stars is because It has a mysteries that just make you want to keep reading. Clifford used to be his real name but, he had tho switch it with Gerald Morris, but he doesn't know why. Find out why he switch his name.
Karen & Gerard
The Stranger Next Door by Peg Kehret and Pete the Cat is actually better than I expected. Although the author's cat helped write parts of this book, in the story we know what the cat is thinking and saying, but the people in the book only hear it meowing which makes it more realistic. Shortly after an aloof family move in next door to Alex's family, houses burn in the neighborhood, including the new neighbor's. Pete the cat sees what happens and using his cat intelligence, makes his people aware ...more
Reagan
This book is manly about a cat who helps two boys from different places, becomes friends. Also with other things going on like fires, and identities. It is a different kind of book. But is is a great book to read
Clare
This is a book from my childhood, and it was so awesome to revisit it and the characters!It was super nostalgic, and just finding it after such a long time was really awesome!
Alison
Really liked this book, love how Pete writes his own story in there. It was interesting and the story kept me reading and my son reading and there were times when I was like "OK, bed time" and my son would say "AW, just one more chapter?" THAT is what I want out of a book for my kid, I want him to want to read. He loves reading but it's especially nice when the school isn't telling him something is too low, or not challenging enough and pushing him to read certain things because they have the te ...more
Alivia
This is my favorite book by Peg Kehret
Jaclyn
I had a harder time connecting to this book due to Alex's (the main character) cat being able to speak english. I found it unrealistic. Although, I know young children would enjoy this. Trouble starts to stir when arson fires and vandalism starts occurring in his new neighborhood. He starts to think that Rocky his new neighbor is responsible due to how private he is to Alex about his past. This book would be a good chapter read aloud in a second to third grade classroom and introduce the mystery ...more
Kyla Braden
So far they have caught the house on fire and they are trying to find out who did it and it is really good so far!!!
Hunter
this was in my opinion a very well written book. i found it very unpredictable at times but was very exciting. i dont think i am going to be able to put this book down, it is so good.i have learned some lessons from this book like not roaming around without telling anyone.
Ashley
Jan 29, 2007 Ashley added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I would like to recimend this book to anybody who would like to get a GREAT read.
I this book Alex Kendrill gets a new neighbor named Clifford.Duke and his buddy(bullies) doesn't like anybody who lives in Valley Veiw Estates just because the builders took away their dirt wheel tracks.Then something dromastic happens but I cant say because that would be T.M.I.
Emma Emert
I think the book was cool and a bit of a mystery!
It was sad when the boy had to give his dog away and move to a knew home because he was in witness protection he was called Rocky.
The book was great and I loved it.
M M Penner
I enjoyed reading this to Canyon and Sienna. Canyon had interesting questions about the Witness Protection Program, insurance and fires. I felt it was well written, exciting but not too scary.
Betsy
I enjoyed the cat's writing as part of the book. Entertaining. I was a bit thrown by the blurb on the back at the beginning as the names didn't match up, then it all started to click.
Bella
What I learned from this book is that you should never wonder of to far from home and never get in to a strangers car and always tell your parents if your leaving the house.
Rachel
Oct 17, 2008 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who likes mysterys
Recommended to Rachel by: librain
i thought it was realy cool and if any body likes mysterys then they should read this but i just didn't get why the guy would burn down the houses i got realy confused!!!!!
Cassie
Jun 30, 2011 Cassie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I think this book will be good because it is by one of my favorite authors. I'll read it when I get around the mountain. (I have no idea what that means.)
Sylvia
Alex and Rocky (who used to be Clifford) live side by side. A story of new friendship, arson, danger and a heroic cat who understands human language.
Veda Sorrells
Pet Kehret does it again. She never disappoints. Just a reminder that I am currently reading a bunch of children's books.
Shane Sutton
so far after reading the review from the review of the book this book looks intresting and i would look forward to reading it
Emily
4 stars only because it was way better than I expected it to be. I liked the cats point of view, it was kind of clever.
Alex
Entertaining book. Easy book to read. I like what happens in the book, Very unpredictable, what's going to happen next.
Emma
I liked it. I got confused by the italics though because my brain kept on wanting to put emphasis on Pete's words.
Heather S
Jan 18, 2011 Heather S marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequoyah-winners
Sequoyah Winner: 2004-2005 (Children's)
Reading Counts Reading Level:
Lexile:
Kirkus Review Age Recommendation:
Chelsey
I really liked this book but if I was the one writing this book I would have tried to put more action in the book.
Barbara Brien
I liked this book; Pete the cat's voice rings true, and the bit of mystery was not too scary.
  • Stranded
  • The Backward Bird Dog (Paperback)
  • Snow Valley Heroes a Christmas Tale
  • William S. and the Great Escape
  • The House On Hackman's Hill
  • Victory
  • Defiance
  • Dork in Disguise
  • Crandalls' Castle
  • Dog Lost
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Wild River
  • Chasing Jenna
  • Paris Pan Takes the Dare
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • Ghost Canoe
  • Secret Letters From 0 To 10
  • The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
Peg Kehret writes middle grade fiction and nonfiction. She's won dozens of state children's choice awards, where kids vote for their favorite book.

When she was twelve, Peg was paralyzed with polio. Most of her protagonists are the age she was then.

A volunteer with animal rescue groups, three of Peg's books are co-authored by Pete the Cat."
More about Peg Kehret...

Pete the Cat (3 books)
  • Spy Cat
  • Trapped
Stolen Children Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio Runaway Twin Abduction! Escaping The Giant Wave