Start by marking “All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye” as Want to Read:
All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye

All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  2,559 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Jane Fleming, forty-six and three years a grandmother, has always played by the rules, never hurt anybody, never lied, never even had a parking ticket. But she’s about to put all that right in a very big way…

Intrigue. Espionage. Advanced technology. Clinical violence. Hoovering.

It’s all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.
Published 2005 by Little Brown

To ask other readers questions about All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye

Ben Carroll
May 31, 2011 Ben Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like with every Brookmyre I've ever read, all I could think of after finishing this was how soon I could get another Brookmyre to read. If I saw a granny reading one in the street within an hour of finishing this, I would have robbed her. These books are drugs.

I think I know why. There's a brutal humour, cleverness and charm in Brookmyre's writing, but there's something else too. A third of the way through All Fun And Games, I faced up to the truth that I was reading a thriller. There. I said it
Rachael Hewison
Jul 25, 2012 Rachael Hewison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I like to think that I’m a pretty open minded reader, I will give any genre a go and always finish a book no matter how dire it is. My boyfriend is the complete opposite. For him reading consists of Christopher Brookmyre, Christopher Brookmyre and Christopher Brookmyre. I thought this author must be good if he’s created this much of an addiction so I gave him a try. Now all I can say is, “I want to read another one!”
Brookmyre introduces us to a variety of unique main characters, most of which fo
Deanne
Mar 30, 2013 Deanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who feels life has passed them by, and wishes they were James Bond.
Shelves: espionage
She's stuck in a rut, going through the motions, thinking that at 46 she's over the hill and heading down the other side. Married to a man who was middle aged at 19, mother to grown up children who seem to think that she was born aged 46.
Then one day changes all that and she realises that she's not dead yet, finds that inner punk she thought she'd lost when she got pregnant and married.
Guns, abductions, a mysterious bad guy,(without the evil fortress inside an extinct volcano)and a group of merc
Debbie
Jan 26, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great romp by Christopher Brookmyre with all the trademark Brookmyre ingredients of murder, mayhem, twists, turns and humour, where the one thing you can be sure of is that nothing is as it seems.

The heroine of the book is a dutiful, downtrodden middle aged wife and mother. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much! Great fun.
Jamie Collins
2.5 stars. Brookmyre has come up with plenty of wacky plots, but this one is so ludicrous that I had trouble enjoying the story. It’s still an amusing read at times, but it requires great suspension of disbelief.

Jane has spent 25 years raising children and keeping house for her boring husband. She’s a fan of James Bond movies, though, so when her adult son is threatened by wicked arms dealers, it only takes a little target practice and a few judo lessons to transform her into an espionage agent
Ian Mapp
Nov 07, 2012 Ian Mapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wendle
Apr 11, 2012 Wendle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, humour
All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye = (A Granny ^ kick arse) + Eclectic group of criminal mastermind do-gooders for hire.

If I forced myself to choose a favourite Brookmyre book, this may be the one I would choose. If I forced myself. Maybe.

The start of this book actually made me pretty damn angry. One character for what a complete tit he was, in every single way imaginable, and the other—his wife and main character of the story—for letting her life get taken away from her. For putting
Monica
Actually closer to 4 stars - it is not quite the nonstop manic adventure of the Parlabane books, but it is consistently clever in its forward movement, with a great cast of characters.

There is Bett’s team of security specialists - Rebekah the pilot, Lex the consummate hacker, Armand the explosives expert, Nuno the multi purpose man, and Som the gadget geek. They do role playing tests of security systems and, when needed, hard operations in defense of their clients.

There is Jane Fleming, the 46
Sebadiaz
Apr 23, 2014 Sebadiaz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you ever wanted to read a novel version of the movie True Lies but without any of the humor or charisma that Schwarzenegger and Curtis brought to the roles, than this is the book for you.
The book starts of all right, but then seems to turn into a farce by creating a series of unbelievable cliches and trying to present them as characters. You might be able to enjoy the farce if there was actually anything humorous going on.
On the plus side the book is fast paced and the technical descriptions
Jon
Feb 20, 2014 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Guardian compared Brookmyre to Elmore Leonard. The sheer volume of exposition, backstory and unnecessary spelling-out-for-the-reader passages determined... that was a lie.

That said, despite the occasional sloggy passage and the more-than-occasional desire to call up the author and insist that as far as I know I am not learning-disabled, and that I do understand exactly what is going on with these characters, and that I don't need another two or three paragraphs explaining their thoughts abo
Johanna Dickson
Feb 28, 2011 Johanna Dickson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very clever read that takes me right back to the East Kilbride, I hear the characters and see the locations.

For me this book was compulsive first time round and a proper treat to regularly re-read for my brookmyre fix. I particularly enjoy the thread of romance and like to imagine the author is a big softy under the vigilante violence.

If pushed I'd choose this as my favorite Brookmyre although (with the exception of Ducks) I've loved every single book once I get past the first 70'ish pages.
Mike Worth
Jul 28, 2011 Mike Worth rated it it was amazing
Impressive book - not sure is these are ever turned into films - but this is all action and full of hollywood "coincedences". I guess my love for these is the same as other's love for Bond. I don't know why people like Bond films...so I guess maybe others may not like these!
Corissa
Nov 01, 2016 Corissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is my first romp into a Brookmyre and it took me a while to get into it. It wasn't until Mrs. Fleming was out of the kitchen that it took off for me and then I couldn't put it down.
Derek Holmes
Mar 09, 2017 Derek Holmes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take a spy thriller and cross it with Pygmalion to get a good fun holiday read. A middle aged Scottish granny embroiled with spies, assassins and kidnappers when her scientist son demonstrates a startling invention, that could change the face of warfare forever. Far from being frightened she finds herself exhilarated by this turn of events and sees it as an escape from her humdrum life. It's daft but it doesn't take itself too seriously.
Mirjam Celie
Bouquetreeks meets James Bond.
Uitgelezen maar had er moeite mee.
Spannend verhaal op eerste gezicht maar eigenlijk zooooo slecht...
Neil Robinson
Got halfway through and still waiting for an eye to be lost. And if it was all fun and games, I'd have continued to the end.

I gave up because Brookmyre does all his character exposition by telling instead of showing the reader, and I couldn't take it any longer.
Guy
Jan 28, 2008 Guy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intussen ook nog wat gelezen: van een uitstap naar Londen eens All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye (2005) van Christopher Brookmyre meegebracht. Aan de stapels boeken te zien moet Brookmyre een held zijn in z’n land, en dat is eigenlijk best te begrijpen. Het is immers een bijzonder flukse, slim in elkaar gestoken roman met een gezonde combinatie van humor en actie, pulp en literatuur. De uitgerekte proloog was aanvankelijk wat verwarrend, waardoor het meer dan vijftig pagina’s duurde ...more
William
Feb 09, 2015 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brookmyre is one talented raconteur, with the added important bonus that he writes well and develops characters as a novelist does. I don't read many thrillers because the central characters seem interchangeable from one author to another. But Brookmyre creates people to whom one has to react. In this book, Bett and Jane Fleming are terrific characters. Alexis, the other principal figure, is a bit less fully depicted.

There is a lot of James Bond in this book, though I have never read Ian Fleming
Alison Evans
Mar 04, 2015 Alison Evans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mysterious Brett runs an organisation specialising in top secret assignments. He employs an assortment of incredibly clever specialists; Lex is a computer expert, Rebekah a pilot, Som a gadget geek etc. All of them have some sort of shady past. Brett's outfit is asked to check the security on a weapons research company, which employs Ross Fleming as one of its experts. Their research shows that the company is not very secure at all and, shortly afterwards, Ross disappears. Now Brett is broug ...more
Rob Kitchin
Aug 24, 2014 Rob Kitchin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brookmyre’s tales are always good fun, invariably a thriller tale wrapped up in dark humour and spun out as an edgy comic caper. So it is with All Fun and Games Until Someone Loses an Eye, which has a very nice hook about a dour Scottish housewife making a transformation into Lara Croft as a secret agent. The set-up is very nicely done, as is the unfolding of the plot and the denouement, with the action sequences particularly well conveyed. As usual, Brookmyre develops a colourful cast of charac ...more
Mark Cowen
Sep 01, 2014 Mark Cowen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm working my way through Christopher Brookmyre's novels and this was the best one yet. The story involves the usual Brookmyre Bond-villain baddies about to take over the world being defeated by someone with a fraction of the armoury and training, and this one is no different. A weapons expert is kindnapped to be sold on, and a crack hit-team employed to release him - the addition to the team of the victim's mother, previously a do-nothing granny in Eat Kilbride - being the main part of the tal ...more
Russell Taylor
Feb 11, 2015 Russell Taylor rated it really liked it
My first Christhopher Brookmyre novel, and it certainly won't be the last. The initial scene was a little bit slow, but once Jane was introduced things really picked up and before long the pages were flying by. The story's pace is good, a fine mix of fun and tension, and even though Jane's development is far fetched this doesn't spoil the story for me at all. The supporting cast were good overall, although he spent much more time on the female members of the team at the expense of the guys. The ...more
Nathan Hurst
Brookmyre woke up one morning and thought, 'I wonder what would happen if James Bond was a woman?' The result is A-fag. It's a solid adventure with all the set pieces you might expect from a good Ian Fleming novel, with nods to the source of the idea all over the place. Even the lead character is named Fleming.

The book kicks along at a good pace with compulsory casino scene and car chase. But things turned out a little too well for Jane Fleming. From housewife to accidental heroine in a week, su
Gordon Shumway
I truly wanted to love this book... there were some very memorable, clever lines and a fun story. Additionally, it's not very often one sees "hacking" represented realistically, especially when it's just a plot device. It was a nice change.

Unfortunately what spoiled the book for me was how the characters would suddenly start these internal monologues about how evil and stupid all religion is. I get that the author is an atheist, and that's fine, but the preaching really got in the way of the sto
Andy Bird
Feb 01, 2013 Andy Bird rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, 3
Almost a 3. OK I was drawn to this by the title which, combined with the blurb on the back, teased a wacky, humorous tale. However it was absolutely nothing of the sort. It is actually a fairly bland and ridiculous thriller. The whole concept of a middle aged lady suddenly turning into a fully trained special agent was just too unbelievable. Having said this some of the other aspects of the story were not that bad. The characters were quite good and some parts of the story were also quite good. ...more
Illyria
Jul 03, 2014 Illyria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-books
Zrovna jsem hledala nějakou knihu do letadla (nechtěla jsem brát něco z knihovny) a máma mi doporučila tohle. Ten název se mi líbil, a tak bylo rozhodnuto.

Nejdřív se to četlo trochu pomalu, pořád jsem musela listovat naspátek, abych si připomněla kdo je kdo a jazyk taky nebyl úplně jednoduchý, takže pokud si nejste jisti se svou znalostí angličtiny, tohle asi není dobrá kniha na začátek.

Po prvních obtížích jsem si však tuhle knihu zamilovala. Bylo to vtipné a napínavé, ale hlavně jsem zbožňovala
Clare
Oct 30, 2013 Clare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Wow, what a ride! I have to admit it was the title that got me to pick up this book. My decision was justified by the end of the first chapter. This story is a thriller sprinkled with a bit of humor, a combination not often seen in this type of genre. There are plenty of surprises along the way and the storyline is exceptionally good at keeping one or two steps ahead of the reader. There were quite a few times when I thought I could surmise what was going to happen, only to find I had been throw ...more
Joanne Parkington
I'm surprised by this book .. it's more chick lit than humorous adult action. Think a cross between Bridget Jones & James Bond, there's little or no acidic one liner's or funny put down's and it even has a cheesy and obvious ending. It also has no flow to it as the chapter's are so long & drawn out. It could have been half the size & alot more snappy. In fact, i'm not surprised .. i'm disappointed.
Bruce
Oct 02, 2010 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover promises more humor than I picked up on, but it was written by a Glaswegian and has many unfamiliar words and phrases. Maybe the humor was hidden in them. It's something like "a housewife joins the A-Team", and the plot is somewhat of a stretch. It kept my interest up to the end, though, so I'd recommend it for a light read. I picked it up at the National Gallery gift shop in Edinburgh, which explains the local theme.
Elisabeth Haljas
Oh my god. This book kept me on the hook like few have. The action, the intrigue and excitement one would wish for in their own life. And twisted in with a little romance, if you could call it that. A story of a mother like any other, willing to do everything to save her son from kidnappers, and boy, the 'everything' really did entail everything. Humorous, enthralling and utterly entertaining. So much fun!
  • Divorcing Jack
  • The Last Day of Christmas: The Fall of Jack Parlabane (Jack Parlabane, #5.5)
  • The Bullet Trick
  • Truth Dare Kill (Danny McRae, #1)
  • Dark Blood (Logan McRae, #6)
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • Past Mortem
  • The Storm Without
  • Flint
  • Resolution (Garnethill, #3)
  • He Kills Coppers
Christopher Brookmyre is a Scottish novelist whose novels mix politics, social comment and action with a strong narrative. He has been referred to as a Tartan Noir author. His debut novel was Quite Ugly One Morning, and subsequent works have included One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night, which he said "was just the sort of book he needed to write before he turned 30", and All Fun and Games unti ...more
More about Christopher Brookmyre...

“Was that such a heresy, to admit that your love for your family wasn't sufficiently all-consuming as to extinguish all other desires?” 0 likes