Start by marking “All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye” as Want to Read:
All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye

All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  2,127 ratings  ·  97 reviews
Jane Fleming, forty-six and three years a grandmother, has always played by the rules, never hurt anybody, never lied, never even had a parking ticket. But she’s about to put all that right in a very big way…

Intrigue. Espionage. Advanced technology. Clinical violence. Hoovering.

It’s all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.
Published 2005 by Little Brown

To ask other readers questions about All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye

Ben Carroll
Like with every Brookmyre I've ever read, all I could think of after finishing this was how soon I could get another Brookmyre to read. If I saw a granny reading one in the street within an hour of finishing this, I would have robbed her. These books are drugs.

I think I know why. There's a brutal humour, cleverness and charm in Brookmyre's writing, but there's something else too. A third of the way through All Fun And Games, I faced up to the truth that I was reading a thriller. There. I said it
Rachael Hewison
I like to think that I’m a pretty open minded reader, I will give any genre a go and always finish a book no matter how dire it is. My boyfriend is the complete opposite. For him reading consists of Christopher Brookmyre, Christopher Brookmyre and Christopher Brookmyre. I thought this author must be good if he’s created this much of an addiction so I gave him a try. Now all I can say is, “I want to read another one!”
Brookmyre introduces us to a variety of unique main characters, most of which fo
Jun 07, 2013 Deanne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who feels life has passed them by, and wishes they were James Bond.
Shelves: espionage
She's stuck in a rut, going through the motions, thinking that at 46 she's over the hill and heading down the other side. Married to a man who was middle aged at 19, mother to grown up children who seem to think that she was born aged 46.
Then one day changes all that and she realises that she's not dead yet, finds that inner punk she thought she'd lost when she got pregnant and married.
Guns, abductions, a mysterious bad guy,(without the evil fortress inside an extinct volcano)and a group of merc
I’d like to write a witty, concise and positive review of this but will settle for concise:

It’s…. ok. It’s more than a hundred pages too long but I suppose that’s necessary for a screenplay if… if you were writing it to be attractive to a film producer. Hmmmmm.

Took me a lifetime to finish, probably shouldn’t have bothered. It's not bad, it's just not gripping.

Message to Mr Brookmyre: A-fag Chris, A-fag.
2.5 stars. Brookmyre has come up with plenty of wacky plots, but this one is so ludicrous that I had trouble enjoying the story. It’s still an amusing read at times, but it requires great suspension of disbelief.

Jane has spent 25 years raising children and keeping house for her boring husband. She’s a fan of James Bond movies, though, so when her adult son is threatened by wicked arms dealers, it only takes a little target practice and a few judo lessons to transform her into an espionage agent
Ian Mapp
All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye = (A Granny ^ kick arse) + Eclectic group of criminal mastermind do-gooders for hire.

If I forced myself to choose a favourite Brookmyre book, this may be the one I would choose. If I forced myself. Maybe.

The start of this book actually made me pretty damn angry. One character for what a complete tit he was, in every single way imaginable, and the other—his wife and main character of the story—for letting her life get taken away from her. For putting
This is a great romp by Christopher Brookmyre with all the trademark Brookmyre ingredients of murder, mayhem, twists, turns and humour, where the one thing you can be sure of is that nothing is as it seems.

The heroine of the book is a dutiful, downtrodden middle aged wife and mother. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much! Great fun.
Brookmyre is one talented raconteur, with the added important bonus that he writes well and develops characters as a novelist does. I don't read many thrillers because the central characters seem interchangeable from one author to another. But Brookmyre creates people to whom one has to react. In this book, Bett and Jane Fleming are terrific characters. Alexis, the other principal figure, is a bit less fully depicted.

There is a lot of James Bond in this book, though I have never read Ian Fleming
Johanna Dickson
A very clever read that takes me right back to the East Kilbride, I hear the characters and see the locations.

For me this book was compulsive first time round and a proper treat to regularly re-read for my brookmyre fix. I particularly enjoy the thread of romance and like to imagine the author is a big softy under the vigilante violence.

If pushed I'd choose this as my favorite Brookmyre although (with the exception of Ducks) I've loved every single book once I get past the first 70'ish pages.
Rob Kitchin
Brookmyre’s tales are always good fun, invariably a thriller tale wrapped up in dark humour and spun out as an edgy comic caper. So it is with All Fun and Games Until Someone Loses an Eye, which has a very nice hook about a dour Scottish housewife making a transformation into Lara Croft as a secret agent. The set-up is very nicely done, as is the unfolding of the plot and the denouement, with the action sequences particularly well conveyed. As usual, Brookmyre develops a colourful cast of charac ...more
Alison Evans
The mysterious Brett runs an organisation specialising in top secret assignments. He employs an assortment of incredibly clever specialists; Lex is a computer expert, Rebekah a pilot, Som a gadget geek etc. All of them have some sort of shady past. Brett's outfit is asked to check the security on a weapons research company, which employs Ross Fleming as one of its experts. Their research shows that the company is not very secure at all and, shortly afterwards, Ross disappears. Now Brett is broug ...more
Mike Worth
Impressive book - not sure is these are ever turned into films - but this is all action and full of hollywood "coincedences". I guess my love for these is the same as other's love for Bond. I don't know why people like Bond I guess maybe others may not like these!
The Guardian compared Brookmyre to Elmore Leonard. The sheer volume of exposition, backstory and unnecessary spelling-out-for-the-reader passages determined... that was a lie.

That said, despite the occasional sloggy passage and the more-than-occasional desire to call up the author and insist that as far as I know I am not learning-disabled, and that I do understand exactly what is going on with these characters, and that I don't need another two or three paragraphs explaining their thoughts abo
Zrovna jsem hledala nějakou knihu do letadla (nechtěla jsem brát něco z knihovny) a máma mi doporučila tohle. Ten název se mi líbil, a tak bylo rozhodnuto.

Nejdřív se to četlo trochu pomalu, pořád jsem musela listovat naspátek, abych si připomněla kdo je kdo a jazyk taky nebyl úplně jednoduchý, takže pokud si nejste jisti se svou znalostí angličtiny, tohle asi není dobrá kniha na začátek.

Po prvních obtížích jsem si však tuhle knihu zamilovala. Bylo to vtipné a napínavé, ale hlavně jsem zbožňovala
Russell Taylor
My first Christhopher Brookmyre novel, and it certainly won't be the last. The initial scene was a little bit slow, but once Jane was introduced things really picked up and before long the pages were flying by. The story's pace is good, a fine mix of fun and tension, and even though Jane's development is far fetched this doesn't spoil the story for me at all. The supporting cast were good overall, although he spent much more time on the female members of the team at the expense of the guys. The ...more
Intussen ook nog wat gelezen: van een uitstap naar Londen eens All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye (2005) van Christopher Brookmyre meegebracht. Aan de stapels boeken te zien moet Brookmyre een held zijn in z’n land, en dat is eigenlijk best te begrijpen. Het is immers een bijzonder flukse, slim in elkaar gestoken roman met een gezonde combinatie van humor en actie, pulp en literatuur. De uitgerekte proloog was aanvankelijk wat verwarrend, waardoor het meer dan vijftig pagina’s duurde ...more
Mark Cowen
I'm working my way through Christopher Brookmyre's novels and this was the best one yet. The story involves the usual Brookmyre Bond-villain baddies about to take over the world being defeated by someone with a fraction of the armoury and training, and this one is no different. A weapons expert is kindnapped to be sold on, and a crack hit-team employed to release him - the addition to the team of the victim's mother, previously a do-nothing granny in Eat Kilbride - being the main part of the tal ...more
Slow to start, plot did keep me reading. Will probably read the other books in the series. Relatively predictable story line, could see where it was going. no surprises here. Overly witty UK writing style not my favourite, comes across a bit try-hard.
I'm thoroughly impressed with Christopher Brookmyre's writing. His work is startlingly original, unapologetic, and fresh. I am delighted to have found this author and will be seeking out his other works forthwith.
Nathan Hurst
Brookmyre woke up one morning and thought, 'I wonder what would happen if James Bond was a woman?' The result is A-fag. It's a solid adventure with all the set pieces you might expect from a good Ian Fleming novel, with nods to the source of the idea all over the place. Even the lead character is named Fleming.

The book kicks along at a good pace with compulsory casino scene and car chase. But things turned out a little too well for Jane Fleming. From housewife to accidental heroine in a week, su
If you ever wanted to read a novel version of the movie True Lies but without any of the humor or charisma that Schwarzenegger and Curtis brought to the roles, than this is the book for you.
The book starts of all right, but then seems to turn into a farce by creating a series of unbelievable cliches and trying to present them as characters. You might be able to enjoy the farce if there was actually anything humorous going on.
On the plus side the book is fast paced and the technical descriptions
Joanne Parkington
I'm surprised by this book .. it's more chick lit than humorous adult action. Think a cross between Bridget Jones & James Bond, there's little or no acidic one liner's or funny put down's and it even has a cheesy and obvious ending. It also has no flow to it as the chapter's are so long & drawn out. It could have been half the size & alot more snappy. In fact, i'm not surprised .. i'm disappointed.
Gordon Shumway
I truly wanted to love this book... there were some very memorable, clever lines and a fun story. Additionally, it's not very often one sees "hacking" represented realistically, especially when it's just a plot device. It was a nice change.

Unfortunately what spoiled the book for me was how the characters would suddenly start these internal monologues about how evil and stupid all religion is. I get that the author is an atheist, and that's fine, but the preaching really got in the way of the sto
Patrick Carroll
Generally amusing provided you are prepared to suspend you disbelief. Not as good as the Unsinkable rubber Duck
Andy Bird
Almost a 3. OK I was drawn to this by the title which, combined with the blurb on the back, teased a wacky, humorous tale. However it was absolutely nothing of the sort. It is actually a fairly bland and ridiculous thriller. The whole concept of a middle aged lady suddenly turning into a fully trained special agent was just too unbelievable. Having said this some of the other aspects of the story were not that bad. The characters were quite good and some parts of the story were also quite good. ...more
A real hoot and a great book for a bit of light reading that thoroughly entertains...
Wow, what a ride! I have to admit it was the title that got me to pick up this book. My decision was justified by the end of the first chapter. This story is a thriller sprinkled with a bit of humor, a combination not often seen in this type of genre. There are plenty of surprises along the way and the storyline is exceptionally good at keeping one or two steps ahead of the reader. There were quite a few times when I thought I could surmise what was going to happen, only to find I had been throw ...more
Alison Gray
If you like James Bond, you'll probably like this. The characters are all interesting and become more dimensional through the story in the book. There's a nice twist at the end.
I really enjoyed it. This was my first book by Brookmyre, but I will definitely be reading more by him in he near future!
  • Divorcing Jack
  • Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie, #2)
  • Dark Blood (Logan McRae, #6)
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • The Incredible Adam Spark
  • Complicity
  • Black Butterfly (Lucifer Box, #3)
  • Resolution (Garnethill, #3)
  • The Bullet Trick
  • Dead Souls (Inspector Rebus, #10)
  • He Kills Coppers
  • The Sopranos
Christopher Brookmyre is a Scottish novelist whose novels mix politics, social comment and action with a strong narrative. He has been referred to as a Tartan Noir author. His debut novel was Quite Ugly One Morning, and subsequent works have included One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night, which he said "was just the sort of book he needed to write before he turned 30", and All Fun and Games unti ...more
More about Christopher Brookmyre...
Quite Ugly One Morning (Jack Parlabane, #1) A Big Boy Did It and Ran Away One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night The Sacred Art of Stealing Boiling a Frog

“Was that such a heresy, to admit that your love for your family wasn't sufficiently all-consuming as to extinguish all other desires?” 0 likes