Start by marking “American Photobooth” as Want to Read:
American Photobooth

American Photobooth

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A fascinating history of an American institution that includes an extraordinary collection of photobooth images.
"That a perceptive, dedicated, and sensitive artist like Nakki Goranin has rescued from oblivion so many amazing self-portraits created by amateurs confronting themselves in the fleeting privacy of humble photobooths is yet another miracle for which we can be gr
Published February 1st 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about American Photobooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Photobooth

David Bales
A book that traces the beginnings of the automatic, coin-operated photobooth, which started in the early days of the twentieth century and became a national mania by the 1920s. The "photomaton" was a popular machine used by millions to print out cheap, high-quality photographs on vacations or visits to amusement parks. Edward Hanna of Utica started his own company in the early 1950s and cleaned up.
Marginalia2
Not only is the history fascinating and illuminating, but the photos are so intriguing Nakki tells of the long lines at the 42nd Street booth and the soldiers and sailors who took their photos before leaving for the front (WWII). It makes me wonder about those photos—who came back, how did they come back?
Bee
I've been lamenting to friends for years now about how sad I am that photobooths are a lost art. I've always loved them and I still drag whomever I'm with into them on the rare occasions I find one. This was a lovely book to skim through.

My favorite photo is on page 93.
Patricia
I started to read the essay about the evolution of the photobooth and got distracted and didn't finish it. But most people will get this book for the photobooth pictures, which were striking.
Joel Wiebner
This book is more than just a collection of great photobooth images. The author took the history of this phenomenon and wove it into a story with a wonderful list of characters.
Holly
Photobooths! are one of my favorite subjects...but I wasn't so keen on the the layout. pretty average approach. nice historical references.
Liza
Nakki Goranin had a show of American Photobooth at my gallery, Pine Street Art Works. This is a fascinating and beautiful book
monica
I am reading this book, I have read this book and I will keep reading and admiring the stories it tells.
If you got a bit weepy at the end of Love Actually, this book is for you.
Marissa
Feb 07, 2010 Marissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
A great collection of vintage shots from photobooths.
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Yuli
Yuli added it
Nov 20, 2014
Mollie Christine
Mollie Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Jordan Domoslai
Jordan Domoslai marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Sunita Pun magar
Sunita Pun magar marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Noa
Noa marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014