Start by marking “Ten Little Fish” as Want to Read:
Ten Little Fish

Audrey Wood

Ten Little Fish

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  464 ratings  ·  67 reviews
It's an undersea countdown in the newest book by bestselling author Audrey Wood and her dynamic, digital-artist son, Bruce. Follow ten little fish as they swim along a beautiful ocean reef, one by one departing from the school for different reasons, eventually leaving one fellow all alone. What will he do? Along comes another, and that makes two! Soon he becomes a father a...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Little Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Little Fish

Michelle
This was one of my daughter's most requested bedtime and quiet-time stories.

I have such wonderful memories of reading this clever, colorful counting book aloud as my little girl dozed-off with the glimmering, shimmering Fisher-Price Aquarium Night Light splashing soothingly along.

Even more special are the "quiet-time" memories as her big brother read aloud and she chimed-in on her favorite words and phrases. I can still see them snuggled together with the awesome blue cover filled with fish as t...more
Vivian
You'll have the kids counting forward up to ten and backward down to one with this book filled with breathtaking colors.

"Ten little fish, swimming in a line. One dives down, and now there are..." (turn page)

If sharing the story in a pre-school library story time, lead the children in a fishy song when the story is done.

A Slippery Fish : (hear the tune and words here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkQeX... -- This is a flannel board version.) Here is a version with actions: https://www.youtube....more
Amy Holliday
Comments on the Story:
This story was cute, even though we are not supposed to comment about it like that. More importantly, the story rhymes all throughout which makes it very easy to listen and follow along and provides kids with a clue about what the next number will be. For example, nine little fish swimming round a crate, one goes in, and now there are EIGHT!! And, eight is easier to remember because it rhymes with crate. This is a very helpful tool. I liked the twist at the end of the story...more
Sarah Sammis
My son has grown up with Audrey, Don and Bruce Wood's books. They are a family of children's book authors and illustrators. He rediscovered them on his own in first grade and has read through his school library's collection. His most recent read was Ten Little Fish by Audrey Wood and illustrated by Bruce Wood.

The book begins like most books with "ten little" in the title. There are ten fish in school and one goes away. Wash, rinse, repeat. Typically though at one, the remaining member either fin...more
Jamie
Ten little fish are swimming through the sea, and something keeps happening to one of the fish. Soon there is only one fish left. But not to fear! One fish soon becomes two, and then becomes a family of ten baby fish. This original twist on the often used structure for counting books makes for a great read, with bouncy phrases that kids will love.
The artwork for this book greatly resembles something you would see in an animated film. The pictures were digitally created, allowing for a fantastic...more
Jessica
Ten Little Fish is a wonderful book to use in so many ways. The extremely colorful and engaging illustrations are coupled perfectly with a simple plot line that touches multiple domains. I myself have used this book for multiple lesson plans. The illustrations also have a very real feel to them, with a 3d effect that makes them really pop off the page! The colors, social-emotional, numbers, and life cycle aspect all give this book a five star rating!

Learning Extension:
I would use this book for a...more
Erin
Good, simple reverse counting book. Colorful computer created 3D illustrations are used to show what all 10 little fish end up doing. The illustrations are not my style, but the words make it worthwhile.

Good for toddler or preschool storytime.
Maggie KutsBorg
Fifty-fifty. One class was fidgety and I had to cut it short, the other class was fixated on it. Pretty decent, but the pictures are kind of hideous.
Lindsay
I used 10 Little Fish as a participation story for a bilingual story time to celebrate Dr. Seuss/fish (the Dr. Seuss tale was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish). The story is brightly illustrated, almost like an animated film Pixar style. The repetitive, rhyming nature of the story helps build narrative skills and phonological awareness. Although the story goes from 10 fish to 1 and then increased back to 10 with the start of a family, I only had the kids help me count from 10 to 1. I clip...more
Jenni
We liked the rhyming!
Mckinley
Liked the counting, didn't much care for illustrations so I settled on 3 stars.
Ebookwormy
This fun counting book uses the formula of a rhyme that finishes each stanza with a word that becomes the first word in the next though. For example:
"Ten little fish, swimming in a line,
One dives down and now there are...
Nine little fish, swimming 'round a crate,
One goes in and now there are..."

You get the idea. The authors are clever enough that the story doesn't seem burdened by the form. The illustrations are colorful and engaging, particularly to a child who loves fish.
Angela
The story is told as a remade of '10 little pigs' but instead refer to fish. Fish illustrations remind me of Finding Nemo. It ends with a happy ending about finding love and settling down.

This book could be incorporated into a lesson to allow students to make connection of items that we can count any object through the use of numbers. This book could also be incorporated to teach basic addition and subtraction by providing the students with word problems from the book.
This book works well as a counting book for kids. It lets them play along, as the number the fish are down to is not revealed until the next page. At first, it tells them 10 minus one fish is nine, but then they get to guess for the rest of the numbers. It also lets them guess what the female fish is if the male fish is a father. The words rhyme as well, so it has a singsong effect when read out loud. The pictures are wonderful!

Ages 2-5
Tricia
I'm a fanatic for Audrey Wood, whether the work is a result of a colloboration with husband Don or son Bruce. Concept books sometimes translate into a poor storytime selection (boring!) but in this case, counting down is entertaining thanks to appealing illustrations and amusing simple rhyming text. Cute choice for preschool fish storytime or anytime!
Michelle
I thought it was a bit sad with how the fish went away (you know most of them got eaten or something!) but my young kids didn't get that part so they found the book cute and fun. It's not like the 10 little ladybug book where you see them all together at a party at the end. In this book, the way to get more fish together is to have babies...
Ina
This is a fun counting book with big beautiful illustrations. Nice real aloud, even with a large group because of the illustrations. One by one the line of fishes gets shorter, until there is only one left...then there are two, who fall in love and then start a family...of ten little fishes.
Jackie
As only Audrey Wood can do, Ten Little Fish is a darling story of colorful, happy fish and their happy little lives. Audrey's son, Bruce now joins in the family storytelling business and illustrates this charming book.

Used for "Fish-A-Mania" Storytime-July, 2010.
Dona
This is an adorable book. The colors are vibrant and the fish are so cute and full of character. A great way to teach counting to a young child and a great way to work on rhyming too. The Woods seldom disappoint and this book is a winner as far as I'm concerned.
Edna
Rukia Rogers
This book is an awesome read aloud! Children can easily predict what will happen next and be engaged in the story. The adventures of "Ten Little Fish" are uncovered" with rhymes, humors and concepts related to numbers.
Great in preschool classroom!
Danielle Desmarais
-Counting and rhyminging book that follows a very cute story. Very colorful illustrations and parts children can read along. (Content book)

-Would be fun to read with a K/1st grade class and eventually let them read individually.
Rebecca Snodgrass
Super cute book for a Kindergartener learning to count and read about numbers. The rhyming had me reading it like a song and it was actually fun to read. The colors are very bright to keep your interest as well.
Brenda Pritchard
toddler-->preschool story time; print motivation, letter knowledge, vocabulary building;

This is a rhyming book that counts down. Ten little fish are swimming and one dives down, now there are __?

Mhm Storytelling
A great book for a rhyming theme. The use of simple numbers is perfect too making it a great book to read aloud. There are also many opportunities for interaction too. The pictures are really great!
Lena Barnes
This book would be great with a math lesson. You could use ten frames and edible goldfish to recreate the problems given within the book. It focuses on both subtraction and addition.
Leyla
I liked it because we could count backwards.
Jo Oehrlein
Counts down from 10, with the picture for each number showing the number as x+1. So, for 10, there are 9 fish in one group + 1 in another ready to be left behind/do its own thing.
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Two at the Zoo
  • Lemons Are Not Red
  • Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On
  • Ten Red Apples
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers
  • All for Pie, Pie for All
  • Five Little Ducks
  • One Duck Stuck
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...
The Napping House King Bidgood's in the Bathtub Silly Sally Quick as a Cricket Heckedy Peg