Start by marking “Ten Little Fish” as Want to Read:
Ten Little Fish

Audrey Wood

Ten Little Fish

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  655 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
It's an undersea countdown in the newest book by bestselling author Audrey Wood and her dynamic, digital-artist son, Bruce. Follow ten little fish as they swim along a beautiful ocean reef, one by one departing from the school for different reasons, eventually leaving one fellow all alone. What will he do? Along comes another, and that makes two! Soon he becomes a father a ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Little Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Little Fish

Anna Nesterovich
An unassuming little book. Very bright and colorful and well made, it nevertheless lacks inventiveness in the story and is not perfectly rhymed. Thus, it's certainly not the best book ever, but a good one to read with a toddler several times.
Lindsay
I used 10 Little Fish as a participation story for a bilingual story time to celebrate Dr. Seuss/fish (the Dr. Seuss tale was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish). The story is brightly illustrated, almost like an animated film Pixar style. The repetitive, rhyming nature of the story helps build narrative skills and phonological awareness. Although the story goes from 10 fish to 1 and then increased back to 10 with the start of a family, I only had the kids help me count from 10 to 1. I clip ...more
Michelle
This was one of my daughter's most requested bedtime and quiet-time stories.

I have such wonderful memories of reading this clever, colorful counting book aloud as my little girl dozed-off with the glimmering, shimmering Fisher-Price Aquarium Night Light splashing soothingly along.

Even more special are the "quiet-time" memories as her big brother read aloud and she chimed-in on her favorite words and phrases. I can still see them snuggled together with the awesome blue cover filled with fish as t
Vivian
Apr 15, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
You'll have the kids counting forward up to ten and backward down to one with this book filled with breathtaking colors.

"Ten little fish, swimming in a line. One dives down, and now there are..." (turn page)

If sharing the story in a pre-school library story time, lead the children in a fishy song when the story is done.

A Slippery Fish : (hear the tune and words here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkQeX... -- This is a flannel board version.) Here is a version with actions: https://www.youtube.
Amy Holliday
Comments on the Story:
This story was cute, even though we are not supposed to comment about it like that. More importantly, the story rhymes all throughout which makes it very easy to listen and follow along and provides kids with a clue about what the next number will be. For example, nine little fish swimming round a crate, one goes in, and now there are EIGHT!! And, eight is easier to remember because it rhymes with crate. This is a very helpful tool. I liked the twist at the end of the story
Sarah Sammis
My son has grown up with Audrey, Don and Bruce Wood's books. They are a family of children's book authors and illustrators. He rediscovered them on his own in first grade and has read through his school library's collection. His most recent read was Ten Little Fish by Audrey Wood and illustrated by Bruce Wood.

The book begins like most books with "ten little" in the title. There are ten fish in school and one goes away. Wash, rinse, repeat. Typically though at one, the remaining member either fin
Rachel
Mar 11, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I had to write a review for this book because the children in my preschool class absolutely ADORE IT! (Especially those between 2-3 years old.) They cannot get enough of the cute little fishies, the fun rhymes, and the entire story overall. Set to the same tune as the song "10 little monkeys (jumping on the bed)" it becomes quite easy for the kids to read along as we read this story over and over and over again.
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten little fish are swimming through the sea, and something keeps happening to one of the fish. Soon there is only one fish left. But not to fear! One fish soon becomes two, and then becomes a family of ten baby fish. This original twist on the often used structure for counting books makes for a great read, with bouncy phrases that kids will love.
The artwork for this book greatly resembles something you would see in an animated film. The pictures were digitally created, allowing for a fantastic
Valerie
Apr 01, 2016 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From 10 to 1, this creative counting book features a school of colorful computer gererated fish as they gradually disappear from readers' view. Each page has a rhyme that is completed on the next page. After the author counts down to 1, she quickly brings the number back up again, as the final fish finds a mate and they have 10 little babies.
Kristy
Feb 04, 2015 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-books
This is a great book for learning about numbers (1-10), and the rhymes give the kiddos a hint at the next number coming up. I'm not a huge fan of the illustrations, but the kiddos seemed to like them. It incorporates lots of chances for participation.

Good for pre-k storytime.
Jessica
Ten Little Fish is a wonderful book to use in so many ways. The extremely colorful and engaging illustrations are coupled perfectly with a simple plot line that touches multiple domains. I myself have used this book for multiple lesson plans. The illustrations also have a very real feel to them, with a 3d effect that makes them really pop off the page! The colors, social-emotional, numbers, and life cycle aspect all give this book a five star rating!

Learning Extension:
I would use this book for a
Erin
Good, simple reverse counting book. Colorful computer created 3D illustrations are used to show what all 10 little fish end up doing. The illustrations are not my style, but the words make it worthwhile.

Good for toddler or preschool storytime.
Lauren
Jan 15, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Great book the encourages counting forward and backward with super cute cgi-ish illustrated fish. Great for also teaching basic adding and subtracting.
Maggie KutsBorg
Fifty-fifty. One class was fidgety and I had to cut it short, the other class was fixated on it. Pretty decent, but the pictures are kind of hideous.
Valentin Eni
Numărăm peştişorii care se pierd unul câte unul până rămâne unul singur. Dar povestea nu se sfârşeşte aici. Foarte frumos ilustrată.
Rebecca Ann
Jun 22, 2015 Rebecca Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Another great read for toddle or baby storytime. I'm excited to try this one as a felt story!
Casandria
Kids might like this, but I found the illustrations really ugly and weird.
Donna Siebold
Bright fun illustrations illuminate this lesson in counting.
Kelsey Ruggirello
May 07, 2015 Kelsey Ruggirello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this! Would suggest this to kindergarteners
Valerie
Feb 06, 2015 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute and colorful artwork and story!
Natalie Weber
Would be great for early grades.
Jenni
Apr 22, 2014 Jenni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-kyle, children-s
We liked the rhyming!
Dana Pressnell
Counting book about fish.
SB
Mar 03, 2016 SB rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a fun book (loved the illustrations!) until the fish got married at the end and produced babies. Killed the intrigue for me, personally.
Mckinley
Apr 29, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, counting, fish
Liked the counting, didn't much care for illustrations so I settled on 3 stars.
Ebookwormy
May 07, 2009 Ebookwormy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-preschool
This fun counting book uses the formula of a rhyme that finishes each stanza with a word that becomes the first word in the next though. For example:
"Ten little fish, swimming in a line,
One dives down and now there are...
Nine little fish, swimming 'round a crate,
One goes in and now there are..."

You get the idea. The authors are clever enough that the story doesn't seem burdened by the form. The illustrations are colorful and engaging, particularly to a child who loves fish.
Karrie
Dec 22, 2015 Karrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute
Angela
Apr 18, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
The story is told as a remade of '10 little pigs' but instead refer to fish. Fish illustrations remind me of Finding Nemo. It ends with a happy ending about finding love and settling down.

This book could be incorporated into a lesson to allow students to make connection of items that we can count any object through the use of numbers. This book could also be incorporated to teach basic addition and subtraction by providing the students with word problems from the book.
Mar 13, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book works well as a counting book for kids. It lets them play along, as the number the fish are down to is not revealed until the next page. At first, it tells them 10 minus one fish is nine, but then they get to guess for the rest of the numbers. It also lets them guess what the female fish is if the male fish is a father. The words rhyme as well, so it has a singsong effect when read out loud. The pictures are wonderful!

Ages 2-5
  • I Spy Under the Sea
  • Five Little Ducks
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On
  • One Duck Stuck
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...