Start by marking “Mars and Venus Starting Over: A Practical Guide for Finding Love Again after a Painful Breakup, Divorce, or the Loss of a Loved One” as Want to Read:

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  394 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Starting over after a painful breakup, a divorce, or the loss of a loved one can be the most challenging experience of a lifetime. Drawing on insights derived from twenty-eight years of counseling thousands of men and women in making wise choices in the process of healing their hearts, John Gray has once again written a groundbreaking book--one that abundantly provides gui ...more
Published June 24th 1998 by Harper (first published February 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mars and Venus Starting Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mars and Venus Starting Over

Hon3yb33
Mar 30, 2007 Hon3yb33 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a broken heart
This book was so.. therapeutic. It understood exactly what I was going through. The author himself had to endure through such a tramatic tragedy that you can't help but trust him as he eventually got out of his pit. Even though it's a "secular" book, it had profound truths.. and all truths are God's truths. The end.
Corey Rae
This book was terribly personal for me and made me work through the pain of true heartbreak. Once I had truthfully and 100% completed the steps in this books, I felt I had the capability to move on in my life! This is a must read for anyone out there that has had their heart completely and utterly ripped out. For those in this world shattered because they love with all they have and wear their hearts on their sleeve, this is a way to begin living again and preparing yourself for the love dive on ...more
Kristen MacGregor
I really loved the first section on how to heal your heart- the second and third sections are geared towards the different sexes about how to stop preventing new love in your life- they didn't really apply to my current situation. I do have issues that require for me to heal my broken heart and I plan on implementing several of his techniques to help me with that. The first section is a great read for anyone suffering from a broken heart- from death of a loved one, a break-up or divorce, etc.
Andrea
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is going through a divorce or death of a loved one. It really helped me get my mind straight after my Ex left me.
Raja
يُعابُ على الكتاب الإسهاب والتكرار في طرح نفس النقاط، لربما كان هناك غياب للتنظيم المناسب لفصول الكتاب-وجهة نظري الشخصية-. بينما من جهة أخرى أُشيد على بعض التمارين الذي ارفقها الكاتب التي من شأنها أن تساعد في الغوص والوصول إلى الأحساس الدفين. كذلك من الملاحظ أن يكون عنوان الكتاب في الترجمة العربية (البدء من جديد) بدلاً من (عودٌ على البدء).

يلخص دكتور جون غراي في هذا الكتاب إلى أن شفاء القلوب من ألم الخسارة (موت الحبيب، الطلاق.) ينبغي الإحساس العميق وأن تعيش أربعة مشاعر رئيسية هي (الغضب، الحزن،
Heulwen
Having found Mars and Venus a help in understanding the psyche of men and women more easily and let's face it, we are very different in our practical thinking processes at times, I then found this book whilst seeking to find myself again after a painful marriage breakup.

I have to admit to wholeheartedly weeping from the depths of my soul whilst carrying out some of the tasks here in the recovery process, having said that, they proved invaluable in helping me to move on out of the 'pain and sadne
David
A good book to work through issues stemming from a breakup. There is much to be said about John Gray's approach to differentiating between the way a man and woman suffer after a breakup. There's also quite a bit of exploration of family-of-origin learned behaviors that can help someone trace why the breakup occurred in the first place and how to rewire faulty thinking that doesn't serve one's search for a healthy relationship.

That said, I am not positive that Dr. Gray's approach in writing from
Robyn26 loid
There are some great ideas and suggestions here. He give you a lot to think about. A book that I have also found helpful in a supportive way is called, " Living Happier After: 20 Women Talk About Life After Divorce" by author Wilma Jones.

"Living Happier After" tells you the real deal regarding what it takes to overcome the demise of a marriage and emerge living happier after. This is the first book to speak from the perspective of a working woman who contributed as much, or more to the househol
Matthew
This is the BEST book for a break up, divorce, or even a death of a loved one. I have never read a book on these topics until my divorce and a really bad break up afterwords that just completely left me crushed with no where to turn to. Then I stumbled upon this gem. John Gray's look at a broken heart is revolutionary and anyone that is hurting should check it out!
Christine Balaty
As with other Mars and Venus books by John Gray, many points resonate, but some seem off-base. Some traits identified as male or female could easily apply to the other sex, and the book got tedious and repetitive in parts two (Starting over on Venus) and three (Starting over on Mars). However, with any relationship self-help book, if one can glean a few golden nuggets of truth, go a little deeper into the mystery of self, and see life a little more clearly, then the time was well-spent. Overall, ...more
Alona
This book is really helpful to those people who thought that there's no hope. This book taught me that to be able to move forward we should remove/unload the baggages that we carry from our past. That everything has an end. Thanks to John Gray because he continue writing such an inspiring books like this which tackles things that is happening in reality and this has been an inspiration to me to be a strong and better person... thanks you help another person to becoming a positive and ready to fa ...more
Dayne Myers
I like John Gray's writing style and agree with his insights almost completely. I feel that there are a lot of good tips and surprising concepts that are somewhat counter-intuitive that most anyone could benefit from in this book. Certainly anyone going through any process mentioned in the title should read this book, I also think that most everyone else should as well.
Medhat
this really amazing book, that really helped me after my divorce
Gray has organized all my feelings and told me how to deal with it on right way
he helped me to understand all the vague and undesirable emotions and know the way to get over it
now i am reading it again and again, reading chapters related to my dialy emotions
thanx gray
Haryati Abd. Halim
Setiap dari kita pernah mengalami kehilangan orang-orang yang pernah kita sayang. Itu sesuatu yang tak akan dapat kita elak. Kita percaya setiap apa yang berlaku ada hikmah yang tersembunyi.

Memaafkan dan melupakan itu perkara yang sangat perlu dilakukan. Namun, apa yang pasti payah betul untuk melaksanakan.
Linda
Don't let the Mars and Venus title fool you into thinking this is an arm chair psychology book. Good solid advice accompanied by exercises that can promote healing for the reader. I would reccomend this book to serval friends and think they could actually heal the wounds of the past using this book.
Rae
Cheesy presentation. But surprisingly good counsel.
Lynn
Jul 11, 2010 Lynn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I flipped through this at a huge departmental store sometime back and I told myself I had to purchase this one, and just this one. As luck has it, I bought it for eight bucks at a book sale - original price? Perhaps nineteen or, at the very most, twenty seven.
Toby
Everytime I go to read another John Gray book I keep thinking this will be the one that brings nothing new. He'll be lazy by now and just rehash old mars/venus stuff. And he blows me away again with fresh new specific developments and insights that are incredible
Pure
All I have to say is ladies you need to have this book in your collection of books its a good guide for us as ladies in moving forward espicially after aa painful break up or losing someone we love who has died.
Tammy
Even though I'm a lesbian and the 'Mars' doesn't technically apply here, I'm hoping this will help me move forward. The ex is emotionally retarded, so maybe this will be a better fit than I expect!
Eric Beaty
Great book with tremendous insight on dealing with the loss of love, letting go, healing, and finding love again. I don't agree with his take on having multiple sexual partners and "good-time sex" though.
Charles
Aug 26, 2014 Charles marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
Stopped under advisement from my counselor. May continue when more ready.
Ursula G.
It was amazing to read this book after a difficult and sad break up! it helped to see things more clearly and to find some explanations to the mental processes we go through this time.
Lusitarius
Tästä kirjasta oli paljon hyötyä! Kirjassa oli uutta tietoa Mars&Venus-ajattelutapaan pohjaten. Monet kirjasta löytyvät harjoitukset auttavat varmasti eron jälkeisessä parantumisessa.
Writerstewie
After a while all of his books are the same. I got the feeling he was trying to help men push their women back into the 1950's under the guise of the woman having the control.
Elena
Another great book by John Gray. A must-read to all.
I said all I wanted in my review about the Men from Mars and women are from Venus book.
Thats all I'm gonna say.
Anthony Tenaglier
A timely book for me in continuation of finding myself. Eye opening and great insight into a man and woman's emotions in all forms of relationships.
Meghan
This book was ok. It just didn't seem to apply to my situation enough. Perhaps I'm just not ready for it and need to pick it up again someday.
Anna
For alle som har brutte forhold bak seg og vil komme videre uten å drasse med seg gamle problemer eller dårlige vaner.
Joyce
How to heal from loss (divorce or death). Four emotions: fear, anger, sorrow, sadness. Really, really good book.
  • Healing Grief
  • Getting Past Your Breakup: How to Turn a Devastating Loss into the Best Thing That Ever Happened to You
  • Perfect Love, Imperfect Relationships: Healing the Wound of the Heart
  • The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life
  • Transformation: Understanding the Three Levels of Mascul
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • The Spirit of Intimacy: Ancient Teachings In The Ways Of Relationships
  • Everything Happens for a Reason: Finding the True Meaning of the Events in Our Lives
  • After the Affair: Healing the Pain and Rebuilding Trust When a Partner Has Been Unfaithful
  • Releasing You From The Past: Healing Past Hurt Through Forgiveness
  • The Law of the Garbage Truck: How to Respond to People Who Dump on You, and How to Stop Dumping on Others
  • In Spite of Everything: A Memoir
  • Love Is a Choice: The Definitive Book on Letting Go of Unhealthy Relationships
  • Falling Apart in One Piece: One Optimist's Journey Through the Hell of Divorce
  • Getting the Love You Want Workbook: The New Couples' Study Guide
  • How to Cook Your Life: From the Zen Kitchen to Enlightenment
  • Power, Freedom, and Grace: Living from the Source of Lasting Happiness
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships

John Gray is an American author on relationships and personal growth, best known for his 1992 book Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, and other "pop psychology" books offering relationship advice.

He was previously married to fellow self-help author Barbara De Angelis, but they divorced in 1984. He is now m
More about John Gray...
Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus الرجال من المريخ والنساء من الزهرة: كتاب الأيام 365 فكرة لإثراء علاقاتك Mars and Venus on a Date: A Guide for Navigating the 5 Stages of Dating to Create a Loving and Lasting Relationship Mars and Venus in the Bedroom: A Guide to Lasting Romance and Passion How To Get What You Want And Want What You Have