Start by marking “The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder” as Want to Read:
The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder

The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder

A much-needed tool that parents of children with O.D.D. can use to identify the source of this turmoil and take back parental control. Dr. Douglas Riley teaches parents how to recognize the signs, understand the attitudes, and modify the behavior of their oppositional child.
Published October 1st 1997 by Taylor Trade Publishing (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Defiant Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Defiant Child

Melissa
May 26, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
A
Maz
ING
This book really did change my life (and the life of my daughter). Before I read this book I thought that my daughter and I would never really get along. I feared for her safety almost all the time. I worried she would say the wrong thing to the wrong person and they would hurt her. I didn't have any idea what ODD was before I read this. However, when I read this book all I could thing was "This is my daughter!" I have used many of the techniques spelled out in this book to astonishing ef
Rebecca Grace
Feb 25, 2014 Rebecca Grace rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
Lots of practical tactics for parents with very challenging children, suggestions grouped by age of the child. Riley also does a great job of explaining what's going on in the OD child's mind that makes mainstream discipline so ineffective with this population: I must defeat the adults, I am smarter than the adults, adults must treat me fairly even if I do not treat others fairly, and a displaced optimism that makes them believe they actually CAN ultimately defeat the adults in their lives and d ...more
Aaron Fullmer
Jan 27, 2014 Aaron Fullmer rated it it was amazing
This is truly an excellent resource for not just parents with "out-of-control" kids, but for parents who have a child that is less that perfect :) It's a perfect balance between why defiant children act defiant and what to do with your defiant child.
Tracy
Nov 22, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, e-read
Was glad to have recognitions that the methods we've been using come suggested ... However remained frustrated that the methods we've been using & are recommended still leave us feeling like haphazard parents just bumbling through our boys violative mood swings
Teresa in Ohio
Jul 31, 2014 Teresa in Ohio rated it really liked it
very doable and simple to implement these changes
Natalie Tos byington
May 09, 2014 Natalie Tos byington rated it really liked it
This book was a good read for us in our current situation. Some of the ideas remind me of things I'm not sure I can change now but at least remind me that what I'm doing is working in the right direction.
Chelsea
Mar 23, 2009 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
This book is full of useful, innovative ideas for dealing with defiant children. It addresses the really tough cases, and gives solid answers for what to do beyond the usual pc answers that don't work on any but the calmest, best-behaved children in the first place. My only criticism of the book is that I wish it addressed young children more. There is some advice for what to do with preschool age children, but much of the book is focused on tweens and teens.
Jennifer Bonner
Feb 09, 2014 Jennifer Bonner rated it really liked it
Very good, but mostly about teenage defiance and I have children 7 and under.
Jessica
Mar 18, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
Lots of really great practical advice that can also, to an extent, be used in other settings with children who are oppositionally defiant.
Abi
Jan 06, 2015 Abi rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
Ok. The book talks about ADHD/ODD being a common diagnosis - but that if that is the case that the ODD will be almost impossible to manage if the ADHD is not under control. So - most of the helps really did not apply to our situation. Should have looked at this book a little harder before I bought it.
Deirdre
Apr 14, 2010 Deirdre rated it really liked it
This book is a very good read (really accessible) for the parent of a child with oppositional tendencies or for an educator. It provides really good information and lets parents know they're not alone and suggests strategies for breaking the cycle of battles with oppositional children.
Brenna
May 27, 2007 Brenna rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those people who deal with difficult children
this gives a few behavioral tactics for dealing with ODD children - but when it comes down to it, you need a team of people handling the child in the same way and some real environmental changes, so the book gives good advice, but hard to follow in real, day to day life
Xaleah
Mar 20, 2016 Xaleah rated it liked it
Shelves: information-etc
I was given this book to read because of issues we are having with our son but personally I lost interest very quickly and began skimming through parts of the book I thought would be relevant to me.
Louise
Apr 10, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book gave an excellent in-depth view to Oppositional Defiant Disorder, as well as, ADHD, ADD and some other mental illnesses. It was a very educating experience reading this book!!

Nancy
Dec 30, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent resource. Very clear explanation of oppositional defiant disorder & its manifestations, as well as good advice in providing the structure needed by children with this disorder.
Melissa.e
Jul 16, 2014 Melissa.e rated it it was amazing
I wish I had read this book when my kids were younger. Helpful parenting applications for discipline and consequences for all my kids - even the ones who show no symptoms at all of ODD.
Matt Gwynn
Sep 18, 2016 Matt Gwynn rated it really liked it
I'm glad I read this book. I feel a little more prepared to eventually become a parent - and feel like I have become a better uncle and martial arts instructor as well.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
Apr 09, 2012 Carolyn (in SC) C234D rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Read this many years ago, thought it had some good insights and interventions.
Anne
Mar 16, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
very helpful dealing with toxic people
Andrea
Apr 17, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This was a great book!!
Rhonda
Rhonda is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
C Scanlon
C Scanlon marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Tara C
Tara C marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Brooke
Brooke rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Angie
Angie added it
Sep 08, 2016
Sarah Lovesy
Sarah Lovesy rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Traveling Light
Traveling Light is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
  • Medications and Mothers' Milk 2006 (Medications and Mother's Milk)
  • Redirecting Children's Behavior
  • Raising Boys with ADHD: Secrets for Parenting Healthy, Happy Sons
  • The Difficult Child
  • Your Defiant Child: Eight Steps to Better Behavior
  • Giving The Love That Heals
  • Shut Up About...Your Perfect Kid!
  • Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender
  • Positive Discipline A-Z: 1001 Solutions to Everyday Parenting Problems
  • The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Taming the Spirited Child: Strategies for Parenting Challenging Children Without Breaking Their Spirits
  • Parenting Today's Adolescent: Helping Your Child Avoid the Traps of the Preteen and Teen Years
  • The Gift of the Blessing
  • The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents)
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk