The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder

The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A much-needed tool that parents of children with O.D.D. can use to identify the source of this turmoil and take back parental control. Dr. Douglas Riley teaches parents how to recognize the signs, understand the attitudes, and modify the behavior of their oppositional child.
Published October 1st 1997 by Taylor Trade Publishing (first published January 1st 1997)

Rebecca Grace
Lots of practical tactics for parents with very challenging children, suggestions grouped by age of the child. Riley also does a great job of explaining what's going on in the OD child's mind that makes mainstream discipline so ineffective with this population: I must defeat the adults, I am smarter than the adults, adults must treat me fairly even if I do not treat others fairly, and a displaced optimism that makes them believe they actually CAN ultimately defeat the adults in their lives and d...more
Melissa
A
Maz
ING
This book really did change my life (and the life of my daughter). Before I read this book I thought that my daughter and I would never really get along. I feared for her safety almost all the time. I worried she would say the wrong thing to the wrong person and they would hurt her. I didn't have any idea what ODD was before I read this. However, when I read this book all I could thing was "This is my daughter!" I have used many of the techniques spelled out in this book to astonishing ef...more
Aaron Fullmer
This is truly an excellent resource for not just parents with "out-of-control" kids, but for parents who have a child that is less that perfect :) It's a perfect balance between why defiant children act defiant and what to do with your defiant child.
Natalie Tos byington
This book was a good read for us in our current situation. Some of the ideas remind me of things I'm not sure I can change now but at least remind me that what I'm doing is working in the right direction.
Chelsea
This book is full of useful, innovative ideas for dealing with defiant children. It addresses the really tough cases, and gives solid answers for what to do beyond the usual pc answers that don't work on any but the calmest, best-behaved children in the first place. My only criticism of the book is that I wish it addressed young children more. There is some advice for what to do with preschool age children, but much of the book is focused on tweens and teens.
Jennifer Bonner
Very good, but mostly about teenage defiance and I have children 7 and under.
Abi
Ok. The book talks about ADHD/ODD being a common diagnosis - but that if that is the case that the ODD will be almost impossible to manage if the ADHD is not under control. So - most of the helps really did not apply to our situation. Should have looked at this book a little harder before I bought it.
Deirdre
This book is a very good read (really accessible) for the parent of a child with oppositional tendencies or for an educator. It provides really good information and lets parents know they're not alone and suggests strategies for breaking the cycle of battles with oppositional children.
Brenna
May 27, 2007 Brenna rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those people who deal with difficult children
this gives a few behavioral tactics for dealing with ODD children - but when it comes down to it, you need a team of people handling the child in the same way and some real environmental changes, so the book gives good advice, but hard to follow in real, day to day life
Louise
This book gave an excellent in-depth view to Oppositional Defiant Disorder, as well as, ADHD, ADD and some other mental illnesses. It was a very educating experience reading this book!!

Nancy
Excellent resource. Very clear explanation of oppositional defiant disorder & its manifestations, as well as good advice in providing the structure needed by children with this disorder.
Melissa.e
I wish I had read this book when my kids were younger. Helpful parenting applications for discipline and consequences for all my kids - even the ones who show no symptoms at all of ODD.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
Read this many years ago, thought it had some good insights and interventions.
Anne
very helpful dealing with toxic people
Andrea
This was a great book!!
Autumn Riche
Autumn Riche marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Sarahboetigymail.com
Sarahboetigymail.com marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Kim Vrana
Kim Vrana marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What Your Explosive Child Is Trying to Tell You: Discovering the Pathway from Symptoms to Solutions Dr. Riley's Box of Tricks: 80 Uncommon Solutions for Everyday Parenting Problems Depressed Child: A Parent's Guide for Rescusing Kids