Start by marking “Rock This!” as Want to Read:
Rock This!

Rock This!

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  679 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Pegged as the new Eddie Murphy, the new Richard Pryor--even the new Lenny Bruce--Chris Rock is one of the smartest, funniest, and most widely appealing comedians today. With "an appeal that crosses racial boundaries" (Entertainment Weekly), Chris Rock's book "crawls into the minds of the lazy, women, blacks, and whites, uncovering driving forces that are all too real in mo ...more
Published October 6th 1997 by Hyperion (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Rock This!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rock This!

Rose
Nov 02, 2011 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris answers many questions that are afraid to be answered by most in "Rock This!"by Chris Rock. He makes a lot of connections with people's opinions, and gives his own throughout the book, such as "Why white people can't say the N-word", "crack-heads", & many other subjects that have become controversy's. This book is filled with jokes, and things that will literally make you laugh out loud.

My opinion on "Rock This!" is that I really enjoyed it. Sitting in class being forced to read is n
Rade
I am still deciding whether to go with 3 or 2 stars. I love all Chris Rock's stand up specials and I think he is a really funny guy but this book felt like a stale piece of bread. It would have been awesome to turn it into a an hour long HBO special but the book jokes seemed like they lacked a punchline.

Yes, there were quite a few jokes in this book that would have been deemed offensive and racist but Rock is a comedian. Their job is to poke fun of controversial or taboo topics. Some of the jok
Adil
Jun 09, 2009 Adil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9th-grade, advisory
Rock This
Chris Rock
242pgs
Hyperion
0-7868-8941-1

This is a hilarious and extreme book created by Chris Rock, a well-known comedian. Chris Rock explores all the usual issues and taboo issues of America such as our prison system, racism, government, economy, drrug problem,e.t.c. While he's talking about these issues, he cracks jokes that would make even the most serious person laugh. He takes a lot of shots at O.J. and the possibility of a black leader, but most of his jokes are varied.

Even thought C
Tamara Evans
When I first bought this book, I didn't really give it a chance and ended up giving it away.However, once I did read it, I felt like a moron for letting such a funny and insightful book go to waste.In Rock This, Chris Rock leaves no stone unturned as he examines various topics from race relations to dating.

The reason why I like this book so much is because Chris Rock doesn't just make fun of certain things but instead, he jokes about everything. Also,I agree with a lot of topics that he brings
Bailey
Sep 22, 2011 Bailey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's very hard for me to put in words what I feel for this book...upon reading it I read it's review's and they were harsh and unflattering to say the least . Which, of course made me want to read it even more. I think its really interesting to have seen and heard Chris' comedic stand up and then to read the book, to me it seems one in the same. Yet reading the reviews people seemed to take his words to seriously and literally. Let me remind you, Chris is a comedian, what he says is meant to sho ...more
Shannon
I think Chris Rock is very funny, insightful, and talented. That said, this book is rather repetitive and not super interesting to read if you've heard (as I have) even a decent amount of his stand-up. There's just no point (in my opinion) in having it in book form, when it's like 200xs funnier to hear it delivered by Rock himself. For example, the infamous "Black people vs. Niggers" skit (which was hilariously dealt with on the first season of The Office). It's good, it just didn't exactly need ...more
Tosh
Nov 03, 2007 Tosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Usually I don't ask for autographs, but my wife was or is a major fan of his. To study English, she's Japanese, and read this book. Odd woman my wife. She studied English by watching Beevis and Buthead, Green Acres, Absolutely Fab, and reading this book. So yes her English is all the above.

Anyway I was at the bookstore and asked Rock to sign all his books that we had in stock. He signed each one "Love, Chris Rock." When I asked him to sign a book for my wife he wrote "Smoke Crack, Chris Rock.'

Th
Michael
Oct 30, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
pure crap
Ashley Lauren
Jul 17, 2009 Ashley Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I realize that 5 stars might seem a little excessive when it comes to a book like this but... honestly, I loved it. I would recommend it to anyone though I realize that this might not be the type of comedy that everyone enjoys. I, however, found myself laughing aloud both at home and at work. I think is comedy is both hysterical and honest and I agree with the quote on the front of the book that says he is one of the best comics. Kudos to you, Chris Rock, for writing a great book.
Dionisia
Oct 24, 2011 Dionisia rated it really liked it
I read this the summer before my freshman year of college began. I was in a new city and far from home. I remember it being a hilarious read and held on to this book like a kind of security blanket. I would carry it around with me and occasionally (read: often) hide behind it in lieu of talking to strangers. I'm such an odd duck.

So, lots of laughs here. If you love his stand-up, then you'll love this. The two are very similar.
Chris Clark
Mar 28, 2011 Chris Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rock really knocks white people here. And I totally agree. I'm a bowler, and I would never trust a white bowling ball. Those pins are white for a reason: they're symbolic of the black man's struggle. Often, when I see a white person walking down the street, I just can't help accosting him: "Go back to Europe, you snob!" So I'm about to take my own advice. I'm moving to Stockholm.
Alyanna Jesoro
Apr 13, 2014 Alyanna Jesoro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I love about this book is the honesty. Which is also funny with the way Chris Rock delivers it. Racism is a tough subject to broach but here it came and went without being insulting. It's just plain funny. I would love to read it again and again just to view both sides of racism and understand why society has those stereotypes. All in all a great read.
Jeremy
This is by far the funniest autobiagraphy that i have ever read. Chris Rock takes an approach that I have never seen in a biagraphy, and makes a joke of the different situations he has ecountered throughout his life. This book keeps you laughing from the first page all the way to the last page.
Heather Banta
Jan 21, 2013 Heather Banta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on a quiet Greyhound bus ride from Wisconsin to Texas. That was 13 years ago so I don't remember it. What I DO remember and will never forget, is my constant embarrassment at cracking up laughing out loud on a quiet bus! Therefore, 5 stars!
Diana
This book talks about Chris Rock's history and he became famous, and his life as a Comedian. I chose to read this book, because i used to watch "Everybody Hates Chris". I also learned a lot more about Comedians. it is very difficult being one and it takes talent.
Quanah Edwards
Aug 04, 2012 Quanah Edwards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my beach read a few years ago. As I read it, I had Rock's voice in my head. It was funny and I had a smile on my face while reading it. He makes a lot of good points and says a lot of things people are a little hesitant to talk about.
Dave
Apr 14, 2007 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the funniest book I've read in a while. His description of how the drug war's laughably flawed strategy is hysterical. How many drug dealers complain about their inability to move product, and become vaccuum cleaner salespeople as a result?
Susie
Jun 17, 2007 Susie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-commented
proof that 99% of chris rock's hilarity is his performance/delivery. on paper, his comedy just comes off as bigoted. i only laughed out loud once, which normally would be fine, but chris rock is my favorite comedian so i was truly disappointed.
Mitch Romig
I was disappointed that large portions of this are basically a transcription of his act from this time. That said, it was a really great act and is still entertaining to read.
Robert
Feb 19, 2008 Robert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Here's the feedback for this. This book is the exact same material he covers on his stand-up CDs (almost down to the exact word). It was a waste of time for me. Unoriginal.
Grace
Feb 09, 2012 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
THE BEST BOOK EVER!! He's a sociologist's dream come true. He truly is a social commentator, and manages to make you laugh with his keen observations. He needs to write MORE!
Benjamin
Jul 19, 2010 Benjamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book, very funny look inside Chris Rock's brain & the way he perceives other people.
I wasn't really a fan of his movies or time on SNL, but this book was great!
angrykitty
Feb 22, 2008 angrykitty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
the thing is, rock is just way funnier to hear than in print. i wish the book was funnier, but it his stuff just doesn't translate to the page as well....
Connie
Sep 20, 2009 Connie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I normally wouldn't have picked this book but once I peeked inside, I was hooked. Rock offers interesting and insightful social commentary.
Crystal
Nov 14, 2010 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago and his stand-up was based off this. It was funny as all hell and still hilarious to this day. I highly recommend it!
Rebekkila
Jul 20, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jack Gattanella
Mar 07, 2014 Jack Gattanella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
Basically his standup act circa mid late nineties. but considering he was one of THE towering, uproariously funny stand ups it's the shit.
K
Feb 28, 2008 K rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone neding a great laugh.
Frikkin HEEEEEEEEEEEE-Larious! I read the entire book standing in a barnes and noble. LoL! Could'nt put it down.
Keli Wright
This book was funny in parts.. but that was overruled by all the GROSS descriptions of things and all the cussing...
Aug 23, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just like his act. I usually think Rock is pretty funny, but why does he seem even more racist on paper?
  • Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined
  • The Wendy Williams Experience
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • Notes on a Cowardly Lion: The Biography of Bert Lahr, With a New Preface by the Author
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Pimps, Hos, Playa Hatas, and All the Rest of My Hollywood Friends
  • Roseannearchy: Dispatches from the Nut Farm
  • The Rants
  • Confessions of an Actor
  • My Life as Indiana Jones, James Bond, Superman and Other Action Heroes
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Hollywood Babylon II
  • Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad
Christopher Julius Rock, III is an American comedian, actor, screenwriter, television producer, film producer and director. He was voted by Comedy Central as the fifth greatest stand-up comedian of all time.
More about Chris Rock...

“Doing something really profound and personal is bigger than a fad.
It's not some passing fancy.
It's always number one.”