Start by marking “The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)

The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,035 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Forced into an arranged marriage after the death of his true love, Gareth has no intention of giving Alric of Kray the time of day. He'll do what he has to, but he knows he'll never find a love like the one he's lost. Alric has problems of his own, but is willing to go along with the wedding to help defend his kingdom from the forces ready to tear it apart.

When Alric is gr
Published January 2008 by Torquere Press

Heller
Jul 21, 2013 Heller rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
3.5

Some solid fantasy world building with well developed characters both the MCs and secondary ones. I enjoy stories with misunderstood characters and Alric definitely classifies and I liked seeing how Gareth's perception of him changed. I loved how the bad guy was defeated, I thought it was very clever.

Even though this is The Kingdom of Orielle #1, I don't think the author is writing books anymore so sadly, we'll never know what happens to the other characters in this world. I'll always wonder
Bookwatcher
Dec 19, 2010 Bookwatcher rated it it was amazing
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I really loved this one!

Hmm, let's count off the reasons why I do :D

1. Arranged marriage that turns to love... Gareth hates Alric when he finds out about Alric's past. Alric hates himself because he thinks he's contaminated with the whole cursed with fire thing.

2. We have the setting of a medieval time but m/m relationships are encouraged! Yay! No sneaking around! And it's a fantasy! :D

3. Alric gets kidnapped. :O Okay, so it's kinda brief but still, he gets kidnapped! And Gareth rides to his re
Nikki
May 21, 2011 Nikki rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, lgbt
The Devil's Fire is an LGBT fantasy set in one of those generic pseudomedieval worlds we see so much of, with a touch of magic and the twist that gay relationships are perfectly accepted and arranged in just the same way, for political reasons. There's some swordfighting, a kidnap or two, blood oaths, political manoeuvring... Pretty much all as you can expect. Also, Alric has the obligatory Tortured Past, and Gareth has the obligatory Tragic Past.

Though it was nothing particularly new, it was fu
Lexi Ander
Jul 13, 2011 Lexi Ander rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a historical romances with a twist of fancy
Recommended to Lexi by: Mika
3.5 Stars bumped up.

A delightful surprise for a historical romance with a twist of fantasy set in a world that doesn't have the religious persecution for sexual orientation. Because of that plot is a more traditional political intrigue, honor bound heroes, dastardly villains, arrange marriages, and duels.

I am not into political mechanizations because in my mind you find the evil bastard and run him through with your sword. People could get away with lots of stuff back then and no one would be th
Paisley
May 04, 2012 Paisley rated it it was amazing
I have been reading a lot of m/m fantasy stories lately. They have run the spectrum from super hot and smutty, to sweet and enchanting, to horribly dark and dirty. This one was a nice blend of good storytelling with lots of romance and a little bit sweet. It is definitely a love story - I like that.

The book itself is kinda long (over 200 pages) and told a fairly complex tale involving many interesting characters and conflicts. Throw that together with some magic, sword fighting, and true love an
Betryal
Oct 22, 2009 Betryal rated it it was amazing
I'm such a slacker since I've completed this book already for some time. I couldn't even begin to give you my thoughts on this story or where to begin. Fan-fawking-tabulous is the word that comes to mind. Being a writer of the era this took place in the storyline had me entranced till the very final end.

From the author's site I have confirmation that there's a sequel coming out to this one and I can't tell you how I sit with bated breath in anticipation for it's release.

Get it. Read it. You wo
Eden Winters
Dec 17, 2009 Eden Winters rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of the m/m genre. An old time bodice ripper, but with a man instead of woman, and he's far from perfect. It's rather long, but never boring. I got my money's worth. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like my characters flawed. I also like them with strong convictions. Both addictions were fed here.
Lady*M
Oct 23, 2011 Lady*M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, m-m-romance

I have no idea why I postponed reading this book, although I had it for a long time. The only thing I can think of is that some reviews described one of the characters (Alric) as weak, man playing a woman's role, etc. That could have turned me away from the story. After reading it, I find myself strongly disagreeing with those reviews.

But, first thing - first. The book plays with a lot of fairytale/fantasy tropes: arranged marriage, archenemy without any redeeming qualities, unconsumma
Karel
Oct 09, 2012 Karel rated it did not like it
Shelves: nomance
Had high hopes for this one after reading The Manny, but this turned out to be functional at best. Some points I didn't like:

- There wasn't much detail/description of the world. About two or three sentences at best to describe everything, from the final battle to any plain ol' castle.

- I can't really see what the world looks like, and what I imagine is pretty much standard fare medieval setting. Nothing unique at all.

- The story is bare-bones functional at best. It feels like a draft for a stor
Deeze

I have always enjoyed Sarah Bells work but due to the setting of this one I put it off and to be honest forgot all about it.

Luckily for me I have recently fallen in love with Medieval themed books and was reminded of this one while searching through my TBR folder.

Sarah Bell did not disappoint me. I was soon engrossed in this tale of Kings and Kingdoms. Watching Gareth and Alric fall in love and cheering them on as they faced the Evil Denmar. Through losses and returned family, through desertion
Still Reading
Dec 09, 2010 Still Reading rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, m-m-fantasy
I'd say this is a 3.5 star book.
The emphasis here isn't so much on world-building as it is on characters and relationship development. The main characters themselves do not seem to change or grow much over the course of the novel -- though the relationship between them develops.
The villain is two-dimensional but effective in designing plot conflicts for our characters along the way (sometimes unnecessary ones that had me skimming to get to the Point).
Elisa Rolle
Do you know the meaning of Savage Romance? I always identify this type of romance with a story which tells about a fiery and witty heroine, usually of noble birth, and an rough but handsome warrior, usually a bastard but who holds honor above all the virtue. Usually they are forced to an arranged marriage by the father of her, who is aging and who wants for her daughter a fitting groom. Doesn't matter if the groom is wealthy, what it is important is that he is an able warrior. Usually they cordi ...more
Noughty
Ravyn
Another very satisfying read from Sara Bell. This is her only fantasy work as far as I can tell, so in some ways it's quite different from her other fiction. Regardless of the apparent genre change though, The Devil's Fire still has all those essential qualities that I've come to look forward to with Sara Bell's work. So if you are a fan of hers, you'll like this one just as much, no doubt.

I'd call this book a "fantasy-light," with just enough of the fantastical to be classified as such, withou
Kris
Aug 08, 2009 Kris rated it liked it
The Tasting:

Why I bought it:

Dakota Flint talked about the book (http://lisabea.blogspot.com/2009/02/m...) and it sounded interesting.

Dislike/like (ending on a high note):

Dislike~ After two years of deep mourning, Gareth seems to fall for Alric pretty quickly. That’s a bit of an exaggeration and there are events that progress the relationship and story along, but still some things were a little too easy.

Like~ It’s HEA. The good guys win despite the (quite amazing) machinations of the baddie. He w
Aiva
Gareth and Alric are really sweet together and the story is interesting, but I just could't get into it. Couldn't dive into the story and forget the world around me. Something was missing! I kind of wanted to get it over with and I have to admit that I skipped it through in the end a little. 3.5 stars.
Favourite quote:
„I loved Kiel, but no more so than I love you." Gareth took Alric's left hand in his. "From the moment I met you, I'd thought to guard myself from the pain and risk of ever loving a
Stevie
Feb 24, 2008 Stevie rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book, I couldn't put it down. Fast paced but always fascinating, the world Sara Bell has created in this fantasy is rich and extremely well thought out. The characters are deep and well rounded, and that includes the family and friends of the lead characters. And the antagonist is as evil as can be!

I was sorry to reach the final page - and I can't think of a better recommendation.
Nik
Jul 15, 2012 Nik rated it really liked it
Shelves: fictionwise
4.5 stars.

Wow. I enjoyed this more than I'd expected to at first glance. Its a historical which is a bit hit or miss for me but, I loved the way SB built this story. The details, the history, the characters with a little bit of a twist to keep things interesting.

This wasn't my first read by this author and it certainly won't be my last!
Fani loves angst
3.5
Good but not that good. The beginning was nice but near the end, the romance went stagnant and the politics and machinations took the driver's seat till the end. The too suropy ending didn't help much either.
All in all, an ok read if you want to read an mm fantasy story. Just nothing special. Pity, because the first half showed that there was potential for it to turn into a keeper.
Avril
Dec 29, 2013 Avril rated it liked it
2.5

The beginning made me feel like I was missing something. Like this was a continuation of a series, with characters I should already be familiar with. I had a problem with the character Finn, and the way he was introduced. Hated it, hate characters like that, introduced with the sole purpose to make someone jealous. My eyes hurt from rolling it often. And hard.
Absynthe
I liked this book. I thought it had original ideas. I liked the characters, but something about it just left me unsatisfied. I think for me there was no part in it that was just the gripping "omg" part. There wasn't anything really suspenseful. It was a good solid book but for me it lacked the breath-taking, edge-of-your-seat moment.
Alli
May 06, 2016 Alli rated it did not like it
Shelves: mm-read
I tried. It's probably the most well-written of the three books I've read by Sara Bell, but I was bored. The passionate scenes were somewhat graphic, but still bland...kind of like the entire story.

Those who like emotional, medieval romance will probably enjoy.
Tasha
Feb 13, 2016 Tasha rated it liked it
This had potential, but it needed to be about twice as long. I didn't feel like the characters had enough time to fall in love. And, though we're told they love each other, I just wasn't feeling it.
MostlyDelores
Feb 17, 2012 MostlyDelores rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. A copy editor could have bumped it up to 4.
Roxs Goncalves
Jul 26, 2016 Roxs Goncalves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, glbt, romance
Me encantó como no tienen idea.
Luego traeré la reseña correspondiente.

*Horas más tarde*

Finalmente, después de muchos problemas que me impidieron seguir la lectura por dos días intercalados, lo acabé y ¡me encantó! Voy a advertir que esto tendrá spoilers porque trataré de tocar todo, TODO, lo que pueda. Así que, advertidos.

Como nos relata la premisa, todo va a comenzar por un matrimonio arreglado. Ahora bien, voy partiendo por el hecho de que el inicio fue un poco confuso, y eso provocó que le re
M60601
Jan 24, 2016 M60601 rated it liked it
Perhaps I was simply not in the mood to read it (though I really was, this book just disappointed me), but the more I read, the less I could tolerate certain parts. Oh, it reads easily and is written well, but I still found issues with the presentation of the plot. The first third of the book is essentially dedicated to filling in backstory for the characters. What happened to Gareth's previous husband in the past, what happened to his new husband in the past, what happened to this kingdom or th ...more
Jenre
Apr 06, 2010 Jenre rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, romance
At the beginning of The Devil's Fire we meet Gareth who is still grieving over the death of his husband, Kiel. He is summoned to the king, Tristam, who is also his brother-in-law and told that in order to prevent Tristam's kingdom from being overtaken by their enemy Denmar, they must ally themselves to another kingdom through Gareth's marriage to prince Alric. At first Gareth is furious at being forced to marry so soon after Kiel's death, but after meeting Alric and learning of the good in him, ...more
Dodo
Oct 10, 2016 Dodo rated it did not like it
I'm at 70 percent. I give up. Why didn't I stop sooner?
Evaine
Feb 15, 2012 Evaine rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, e-books, m-m
Kings. Oh, my LORD, there were a lot of kings in this book! And that underlines my big beef with The Devil's Fire - not enough time and effort spent on the world-building. This could have been a fantastic read, especially for a fantasy aficionado, but all the fantastic elements were either glossed-over or even totally ignored. What's the deal with these powers, for instance. The book IS titled The Devil's Fire and I expected more about the actual fire power that the whole plot hinged upon. Maybe ...more
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Cethe
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • The Emperor's Wolf
  • Prisoner (Kria, #1)
  • Gatekeeper
  • Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1)
  • Snowflakes and Embers
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)
  • The Vanguard
  • 'Til Kingdom Come
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
Sara Bell lives in North Alabama with the world's sexiest, most supportive husband, the two most beautiful, gifted daughters on the planet, and two of the most neurotic but loveable dogs ever created. She's a full-time author who writes stories about never-ending love for all kinds of characters--gay, straight, and somewhere in-between. Sara still can't believe she gets paid to do something she lo ...more
More about Sara Bell...

“ 'The grief didn't fade, but it changed into something I could carry around with me, a noose I wore around my neck. It wasn't until I saw you that the knot loosened.' ” 2 likes
“ 'Perhaps what Finneas needs, King Rowan, is an occupation. I believe there to be a village nearby in sore need of an idiot. Finn seems well suited to the task.'

Rowan had just taken a hearty sip of wine when Gareth's words caused him to swallow the wrong way. Glenna gave him a healthy tap on the back.

'What's an idiot, Mama?' Stefan seemed excited by the prospect of Finn's employment. 'If Finn's to be an idiot, may I be an idiot, too?' ”
0 likes