Start by marking “The Historical Guide to Utah Ghost Towns” as Want to Read:
The Historical Guide to Utah Ghost Towns

The Historical Guide to Utah Ghost Towns

Ghost towns: the shadowy remains of a town’s former life and activity; its houses, schools, and churches left behind, to dry and crumble in the arid winds of Utah. Carr presents more than 150 such sites across the state—towns formed around mines, railroads and agriculture—but nevertheless there remains a nagging suspicion that there are still ancient, forgotten villages ...more
Published October 30th 1987 by Western Epics (first published June 30th 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Historical Guide to Utah Ghost Towns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Historical Guide to Utah Ghost Towns

White
Aug 31, 2009 White rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a place to discover some of Utah's pioneer or mining history, this is the place to look. Now out of print, this book can still be found in used book stores. It has the story and passionate history of little towns that were born and died, some reborn again.

One hobby of ours is to investigate old ghost towns, if we're really lucky we can pick up old railroad nails, and such. In a way, it's like a little time machine. It's like "getting connected".

This book is accurate and
Laurie
Apr 27, 2012 Laurie rated it really liked it
I was looking for a completely different book when this caught my attention. Though I picked it up from the library, I wasn't expecting to get into it very much. To my surprise I became vastly intrigued by the snapshots of some of Utah's ghost towns.

Carr takes us on a journey through towns either long gone, or barely there, starting from the north on down through the south. Each town rises for a few simple reasons: a stop along the railroad, a mining town, or a site for farming.

Filled with blac
Mar 12, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is a great book which compiles information otherwise not found. It's a little dated so I would love to see someone go through and update the info and print a modern version. Still a great guide to have on hand though for those who like ghost towns. I didn't read through every word, but I went through every page much like you would a guide. Some of the towns that perked my interest I read about in depth while others I just skimmed. I'm excited to get out and see some of these towns and learn ...more
Michael
Nov 22, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Great information on lost Utah towns. A friend and I visited several towns described in this book. It really makes the scene come alive when you have some of the story behind what you are shooting pictures of.
Dave Raines
Dave Raines rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2009
Justin Fullmer
Justin Fullmer rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Connie Huntington
Connie Huntington rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
May 20, 2009
Christian
Christian rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2009
Mack
Mack rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Robert Garrard
Robert Garrard rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2011
Joanne
Joanne rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Chad Simons
Chad Simons rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2014
David
David added it
Aug 25, 2010
Alison Livingston
Alison Livingston marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2010
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jan 06, 2011
Bonnie
Bonnie added it
Oct 24, 2011
Lyndsey Broadhead
Lyndsey Broadhead marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2011
Mitchell
Mitchell marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Sari
Sari marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Lynette
Lynette marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Erika Viktor
Erika Viktor marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Mar 18, 2015
Kiri Good
Kiri Good marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Marc Christensen
Marc Christensen marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016