Start by marking “Food in Medieval Times” as Want to Read:
Food in Medieval Times

Food in Medieval Times

Students and other readers will learn about the common foodstuffs available, how and what they cooked, ate, and drank, what the regional cuisines were like, how the different classes entertained and celebrated, and what restrictions they followed for health and faith reasons. Fascinating information is provided, such as on imitation food, kitchen humor, and medical ideas. ...more
Published October 30th 2004 by Greenwood Press (first published May 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Food in Medieval Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food in Medieval Times

Rebecca Mcgraw
Aug 14, 2014 Rebecca Mcgraw rated it liked it
I wanted this book to be better than it was. It's fascinating, but so...dry. Like an overcooked haunch of venison on spit over an open fire. Very academic, and a little repetitive at times (see, for instance, Blanc-Manger, over and over and over).
I've clearly been spoiled by Bill Bryson's histories of stuff being both fascinating and entertaining.
Siria
Jan 04, 2014 Siria rated it liked it
Food in Medieval Times is a synthetic work which pulls together information on medieval cookery and approaches to food from a variety of different sources both secondary and primary. Adamson has done a good job at creating a primer on the topic, and I could see this being a useful text to use in an undergrad classroom setting, or as a sort of encyclopaedic reference for the researcher looking to see the uses of a particular kind of food during the medieval period. The writing is however a little ...more
Jessica Knauss
Mar 28, 2011 Jessica Knauss rated it really liked it
This is my go-to for information about medieval food. I'm working on a historical novel, and this has been invaluable. It' also fun and readable for the casually interested, and might even inspire some chefs. I found a recipe for blancmanger after reading here that this "white food" was only suitable for the nobility. Delicious! And, appropriately expensive with all the almonds, time and effort.

I appreciated learning about the origin of the "Four and Twenty Blackbirds" song among other gems. Ad
Darcy
Jul 05, 2013 Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: culture
I picked this up on a whim in the library and read the whole thing in one sitting. I'm now very enlightened to the eating habits of both the wealthy and poor of the Medieval era. What am I doing with my life?
Etty
Feb 20, 2012 Etty added it
Semenjak gw ingin tahu seperti apa saja makanan jaman medieval, setelah membaca novel2 HR, buku ini lumayan menjawab semua pertanyaan gw. Selanjutnya tinggal mencari buku tentang gaya hidupnya deh....
Louis Daniel
Louis Daniel rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Mitch
Mitch rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2013
Becky Cresswell
Becky Cresswell rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Veronika
Veronika rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2010
Maria Hazir
Maria Hazir rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Dewi V
Dewi V rated it liked it
May 11, 2010
Dr. Anne Ballard
Dr. Anne Ballard rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2016
Wolundr
Wolundr rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Barb
Barb rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2011
Oleg Liakhovich
Oleg Liakhovich rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Mauro
Mauro rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Nofixedstars
Nofixedstars rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2009
Joppe
Joppe rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Lance
Lance rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Hill
Hill rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Isa Lavinia
Isa Lavinia rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2011
Arna
Arna rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2016
Miamaslegi
Miamaslegi rated it really liked it
May 16, 2012
Elora
Elora rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2012
Kthxbai!
Kthxbai! rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Thomas
Thomas rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2013