Start by marking “The Hunted” as Want to Read:
The Hunted

The Hunted

“Wonderful…razor-sharp.”
Los Angeles Times Book Review

“Excellent….A plot and a chase as good as anything he has ever written.”
Bergan Record

In Elmore Leonard’s The Hunted, “crime fiction’s greatest living practitioner” (Washington Post) carries the action far from his usual Detroit, Miami, and Los Angeles milieus, all the way to the Middle East. There no lack of excitemen
Published January 28th 2003 by HarperTorch (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunted

Jamie
Dec 16, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Two minutes in and I wanted to kiss this book on the mouth. Forget pretentious, stilted, and boring. How do these other books try to write twice the story and only come away with half?

It’s an early one, so more straightforward but doesn’t suffer from it a bit. I’ve said something to this effect before: I will read Elmore write about blistering standoffs and unlikely allies all day long.

Also loved: how, as usual, as always, bring on the criminals and misfits but the only unforgivable crime is a
Craig Pittman
Aug 13, 2013 Craig Pittman rated it really liked it
The other day I heard Elmore Leonard had suffered a stroke, so when I had to visit a bookstore to buy a gift, I found myself browsing the section with all of his books on display and thinking back fondly about all the ones I'd really enjoyed. But then I saw an unfamiliar title: "The Hunted." I picked it up and checked the copyright date: 1977. I thought I had read nearly all of Leonard's thrillers, but here was one I'd somehow missed, so I bought it.

I'm glad I did. Chronologically it falls after
Jim
Overall, this was another excellent Leonard story, but it seemed to go on a bit too long. I don't really know anything I'd cut out, though. There was certainly plenty of twisty action all the way up to a perfect ending. Great characters. Leonard likes to have a minimum of them & sketches them out perfectly, then slowly grows them into full fledged beings that just obey their natures & write the rest of the story themselves. Fantastic.

So a 3.5. Great entertainment & well read.
Daniel Villines
Oct 16, 2016 Daniel Villines rated it really liked it
The thing I like best about Leonard is his consistency. I find it hard to believe that my attention could not be held by any of his books. His ability to write characters that are true to themselves before holding fast to any moral ideal is what makes his characters real and interesting. This is what I have come to expect from Leonard and The Hunted is one more case-in-point.

The story brings the reader to Israel in the late 1970s, however, with only a few exceptions, the setting is timeless. In
Tom Marcinko
Dec 09, 2012 Tom Marcinko rated it really liked it
My Elmore fixation continues. I used to read him too fast, I think. If you blink you miss something—plot and nuance. Also, I love the way he accomplishes a lot as a writer without seeming to be doing much at all.
Favoring the earlier novels and reading my way forward, gradually. I expect to read them all.
This one was set in Israel.

~“It’s hot here.” “Yes, it’s nice, isn’t it?”~

~“He’s going to have a heart attack,” Davis said. “I hope so,” Tali said.~

~Mel Bandy took his shower in 823. It would b
Ken Doggett
This, to me, was a rather mediocre Elmore Leonard novel. It takes place in the Israeli desert, and went on and on with various degrees of back story and heavy characterization dropped in here and there. One chapter in the middle was entirely back story, filling in some of the hero's past without really adding anything to the story. The action scenes were believable and well done, though not particularly special, as the story built toward the climax. It finally ends after it seemed that it could ...more
Ensiform
Mar 14, 2012 Ensiform rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Al Rosen, a businessman hiding out in Israel from some criminals he testified against, is found when his picture is printed Stateside. As three killers hone in on Rosen, he meets with a decorated Marine and Vietnam vet who makes Rosen’s safety his business. It’s an exciting action story, interlaced with ruminations on age and confidence and people. And of course it’s liberally sprinkled with that dry, deadpan Leonard dialogue. The ending, unlike that of other Leonard books I’ve read, was just ...more
Chris Gager
First audio book ever. Could signal a trend as I'm not getting any younger! My adopted(from the transfer station) stereo(radio,cd and tape player) is only semi-functional and has decided to seize up for a while so I'll have to borrow my old Sony radio/tape player from the workshop. Thing's about 40 years old! Meanwhile the "book" is pretty good and the reader is adept the different voices. The cover of "my" edition is not represented in Goodreads. That happens a lot with oldies!

I'm about halfway
Frostling
Feb 14, 2010 Frostling rated it liked it
Elmore Leonard is always praised for his sharp, witty dialogues and this novel provides exactly that. My main concern was that there would be long talks, going on and on, where everything is resolved with words, a bit like Oscar Wilde with an Uzi. Thankfully is wasn’t like that. There is even a lot of action/description and even a touch of philosophy - although some might call it cheap…

To resume the book in a few words, The Hunted is the story of a man pursued by the Detroit mob. With its succes
Luca
Feb 28, 2016 Luca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though it contains the most drastic superficial breaking of tradition compared to previous Leonard books, "The Hunted" felt fairly rote in that it's yet another guy being chased by a couple of nasty dudes. Doesn't help that said nasty dudes were quite non-descript compared to previous baddies.

Points though for making the Vietnam vet the quiet, polite professional and the WWII vet the decadent screw-up!

The writing's rock solid as usual (by this point Leonard had become an absolute genre mac
Jrobertus
Oct 18, 2007 Jrobertus rated it really liked it
I love Elmore Leonard books for casual enjoyment. THe Hunted was great fun from the master of fast patter. In this story an American businessman of dubious past is hiding from the Detroit mob as As Rosen, in Israel. A chance encounter brings his whereabouts to the bad guy's attention and they come after him. A loyal Israeli girl who works for Rosen, and a U.S. Marine on leave from embassy duty aid him in his efforts to survive. The plot is interesting, the sense of place is intriguing, and as ...more
Andrew
Dec 26, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most truly great men, Mr Leonard was born on October 11th. He wrote crime fiction the way it should be done, dialogue that Tarantino dreams about, characters with more balls than a bingo game and stories that flow seamlessly. While The Hunted isn't among his best, it is still a very cool 70's crime caper.
Peter Poole
Sep 21, 2011 Peter Poole rated it it was amazing
A great, vivid read that got me into Elmore Leonard's unique, slick, succinct and accessible style of prose. A taut tale of crime and manhunting, set in Israel but using the place as an interesting locale rather than piling on the politics. One slight continuity error with a military officer's rucksack is the kind of glitch you spot in films, but can be overlooked - see if you spot it!
Godzilla
Mar 16, 2009 Godzilla rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, 2009
I loved the chracterisations, and the opening was sharp and pacy. However I felt the flow disappeared about half way through, and the denouement was disappointing, with a rushed and incomplete feeling to it.
Steve
Set in Israel, this novel sucks you in and won't let go. Al Rosen is on the lam, anonymous in Tel Aviv, until his cover is blown and assassins pursue him and the money he's being paid by his company. How does he get away? The story is fun, and you'll be left wanting more.
태호 신
Jan 09, 2014 태호 신 rated it really liked it
Leonard prides himself on his invisibility and this one's a good example why. Simple, elegant and fun, with moments of surprising depth. I can read him all day.
James
Nov 19, 2014 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2014
Leonard is great for listening to because of his hard boiled style, but I didn't care for the narrator on this one. Also, the book lacked the humorous tone found in his best novels.
Abby
Sep 12, 2014 Abby rated it liked it
Fun, fast read. I'd never read Elmore Leonard before, and now I know why he was lauded.
wally
Sep 23, 2012 wally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leonard
didn't elmore leonard receive recently...like this week...some award?...or maybe it was last week? thought i saw something in the paper about it...i forget the award.

and...having just finished Richard Stark's...The Hunter...i could not resist reading this one, next...another elmore leonard, anyway...#? #7-8? from him for me?

heh! stark's story has two./..three counting the gun...silhouettes on the cover, a woman...a man...the gun. this one has a man-shape target on the cover...might want to re-th
Johnny
Jan 24, 2010 Johnny rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Elmore Leonard has this fascinating ability to capture that type of person with no moral scruples whatsoever. In fact, most of his stories have more than one such person and several of them experience poetic justice. Of course, enough of them get away with what they do that you can never be certain of the eventual outcome. In this novel, the Al Rosen (no relation to the former Cleveland Indians star) with a price on his head has been “on the lam” for many years. At the start of the story, he ...more
James
Nov 11, 2013 James rated it liked it
I wasn't quite sure what to expect with The Hunted, it being by far the earliest of Elmore Leonard's books that I've read, in addition to being one of his somewhat lesser known ones, but the style that I'm familiar with (from Glitz and Get Shorty) was definitely there.

I got confused at a few points regarding setting and geography, but I'm guessing that's my lack of experience with big cities, let alone Israel, more than anything. In addition, I couldn't help but think about Davis (my pick for t
Don Massenzio
Nov 30, 2014 Don Massenzio rated it really liked it
This book was a departure for Elmore Leonard in terms of setting. It takes place in Israel which is a setting that he had not used in previous works. I got the sense that he spent some time there while I was reading this book. His descriptions of the country, its landmarks, and roads were very vivid. The plot of this book was also a bit of a departure. It centers on the efforts of a marine to protect a businessman that fled the United States after testifying against organized crime figures when ...more
Michael
Published in 1977, this was the oldest Elmore Leonard book I had ever read. I was surprised how fully formed his style was even back then. I read a few criticisms that it ended too abruptly, but I much prefer that over the stories that wear out their welcome. The ending reminded me of a lot of movies from the 70s where as soon as the conflict was resolved, the movie was over and the credits began to roll. I'm also thinking of just about every Shaw Bros film ever made: the villian is killed, or ...more
Tom M
Jul 30, 2011 Tom M rated it liked it
(Read as part of the Dutch Treat three story compilation which apparently was edited, as GoodReads puts this story at over 300 pages)

Al Rosen is a Detroit businessman living in Israel hiding from some teamsters trying to "find" him.

Being a short novel at 185 pages, the action begins quickly and pushes you to the end. Originally I was a bit lost as Leonard throws a bunch of characters at you immediately but as the story progresses they're fleshed out in more detail and fit into the plot. The main
Jason
Jul 31, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it
When I was reading this book and one of the characters made reference to what he had done in the war, I was confused about which war he meant because he didn't seem old enough to be talking about Vietnam (which he was). That's when I realized that the book was written in 1977, and it struck me how much the language and dialogue felt like it was written now. To me, that speaks to what is so awesome about this book and what makes Leonard books timeless - dialogue that is real, unadorned, and ...more
Christian
Oct 23, 2013 Christian rated it liked it
Pretty good Leonard. Typically, man's past comes back to haunt him fare, but the way Dutch sets it up makes it seem like the protagonist, Rosen, is going to be this amazing badass, and halfway through the book Rosen becomes a neutered shell of the first-25-pages-Rosen and becomes resigned to being saved by a Vietnam vet in the midst of a prolonged flashback of sorts. Similar to "Out of the Past" in its premise but more like "A History of Violence" in its third act problems. Still, lesser Leonard ...more
Bryson McCheeseburger
Typical Leonard fare, except it's set in the middle east and not in Detroit. Of course there are connections to his home, but it's a far cry from the usual settings. This is a typical heist, chase book. It's simple, there's money, a bunch of people want it and they end up all trying (and dying) to get it. I liked the simplicity of the story and the way Leonard tells his tales. Not his best work, but still solid story telling, like a 70's/80's action flick come to life.
Drake Savage
Jun 21, 2015 Drake Savage rated it really liked it
An international joyride. Leonard proves his ability of expanding his gritty American root system well into the Israeli desert, followed by a group of antiheroes and criminals that are destined for death. Think not why Leonard placed this story outside of his Floridian country, but how well he pulled it off, with a nod of the head to his early western-writing career in regards to exquisite desert imagery and resonance.
Bayneeta
Aug 01, 2015 Bayneeta rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, suspense, audio
A decent entry in Leonard's extensive catalog. Written in 1977 and set in Israel. I listened to this on audio, and at first wasn't taken with the narrator--Mark Hammer. Can't be easy to give unique voices to this ragbag cast of sleazy characters, and I never really appreciated his choices except for Davis, the Marine who was born in Harlan, Kentucky where his daddy died in the mines. (shades of Justified)
Mazel
Apr 30, 2010 Mazel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Le sergent Davis, du Corps des Marines, allait prendre une retraite qu'il redoutait, comme bien des futurs retraités.

Et, sans le savoir, sans le vouloir, il trouva la solution. Il devint, dans les sables du Sinaï, une sorte de Don Quichotte et de redresseur de torts.

Sa Dulcinée était une charmante israélienne. Mais les moulins à vent se révélèrent de redoutables malfrats.
  • Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, #2)
  • Red on Red
  • Stray Bullets, Vol. 2: Somewhere Out West
  • Faithless: Tales of Transgression
  • Greed
  • Area 10
  • Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Ultimate Collection, Book 3
  • Prizzi's Honor
  • Diamond Dust (Peter Diamond, #7)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • South of Heaven
  • Women and Other Animals: Stories
  • Duplicate Keys
  • Freezer Burn
Elmore John Leonard lived in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Memphis before settling in Detroit in 1935. After serving in the navy, he studied English literature at the University of Detroit where he entered a short story competition. His earliest published novels in the 1950s were westerns, but Leonard went on to specialize in crime fiction and suspense thrillers, many of which have been adapted into ...more
More about Elmore Leonard...