Somewhere South of Here

Somewhere South of Here

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  16 reviews
I'd wondered about my mother all my life -- what she looked like, how she smelled and sounded and acted. Lately this wondering had grown to encompass a curiosity about the kind of people she herself came from, because they were my family, too, after all, even though I knew nothing about them. I'd no idea whether they were loud or soft-spoken, funny or boring, preferred cho...more
Published May 28th 2002 by Harper Perennial (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere South of Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere South of Here

Alex Hoshor
Kind of a serviceable mess. If I hadn’t read Eddie’s Bastard, I probably wouldn’t have scored this one so generously. So read Eddie’s Bastard first, okay? Come into this one with some inertia (if at all). It’s all surface emotion and quirk and subplot that works best when merely skated upon. If one tries to stop and crack into any layers of depth, one will hurt one’s foot when the shovelhead hits a big ole dumb rock. If you don’t care about the rock though, you’ll be all like weeeeeee…that was n...more
Ian Mapp
Sequel to the ever excellent eddies bastard, which sees eddie head down to Sante Fe in search of his mother.

I suppose this is the law of diminsihing returns, as this is not as good as its predecessor.

You have to say that the characters, minor and major, are again well drawn... with introductions to his sister, mother, new friend from college and girlfriend, consuela.... and the wry humour is still there.

Things that I didnt like were the way that the chapters were not introduced as they were with...more
Hollis
Written by Molly's friend - not fantastic, but good storytelling
Diana
Nach dem Tod seines Großvaters macht sich Billy Mann auf die Suche nach seiner Mutter, die ihn als Baby mit dem Zettel "Eddies Bastard" bei seinem Großvater auf der Schwelle abgegeben hatte.

In New Mexiko angekommen trifft er als Erstes auf einen durchgeknallten Vietnam-Veteranen, der ihn für einen ehemaligen Kriegskollegen hält.

Dies ist nur die erste von vielen skurillen Begegnungen, die Kowalski Billy wiederfahren lässt.

Ich mag Kowalskis Stil und seine verrückten Charaktere sehr und das Buch...more
Karen
I wasn't crazy about this book like I was it's prequel, Eddie's Bastard... but it was ok. I wondered as I was reading if I'd be enjoying it at all, if some details would have meant a thing, if I would even like the main character, Billy, if I hadn't read Eddie's Bastard.. which I totally loved. Somewhere South of Here was a bit of a disappointment. And I was a little sad because Billy's mom died of ovarian cancer... the same disease that killed my sister :(
Jen
This is a sequel?! I stumbled upon this book at the library and thought it looked good... Which it was. Although it seemed that he was just rambling about things. But I was compelled nonetheless and it reappears in my mind randomly. I'm curious what the other book could be like, since this one really didn't feel like a sequel at all.
Barbara
Jul 01, 2007 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: absolutefavs
Somewhere...continues the story of Billy and the search for the mother he never knew. You can feel Billy grow as he heads out into the world to try to find a missing piece of his life.

I would love to read more books about Billy. I really hope William Kowalski will write another.
Mardalee
Very surprised to find this a sequel. Found it in the library, and it looked interesting enough. I agree that it is not an intellectually scoring novel, but it is a good summer read.

I'm looking forward to reading Eddie's Bastard to see where this came.
Valerie
I loved loved loved Eddie's Bastard, and after reading that, I'm sure nothing could have lived up to my expectations and hopes for Billy. I only gave this one three stars, but I have high hopes for Mr. Kowalski's future endeavors.
Liz
This was the sequel to Eddie's Bastard which fell short of my expectations.

All in all not a bad book, but I felt like the author ran out of ideas. It was light and nice, but not as meaty as I like.
Anita
I really enjoyed "Eddie's Bastard" and although this follow-up was readable it didn't excite me in the same way the first book about Billy's life did.
Louise
Light and fun to read, but not really memorable. I only remember that it wasn't as good as it's predecessor which can't be a good sign.
Hannah cowles
I loved this book. It's a man searching for his identity, and comes to find out that he was missing his soul.
Sabine
Not as good as 'Eddie's Bastard. He has lost his 'Steinbeckian Way' of writing, which appealed to me.
Sandra
This is the sequel to Eddie's Bastard. It wasn't a good by it gave closure to Billy's story. I enjoyed it.
Teresa Berman
not as good as Eddie's Bastard (this is the sequel) but still enjoyable
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
LB
LB added it
Jul 08, 2014
Pat35
Pat35 is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2014
Photo Eclectic
Photo Eclectic marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Eddie's Bastard The Adventures of Flash Jackson The Barrio Kings The Good Neighbor Way It Works, the