Start by marking “Somewhere South of Here” as Want to Read:
Somewhere South of Here

Somewhere South of Here

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  232 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
I'd wondered about my mother all my life -- what she looked like, how she smelled and sounded and acted. Lately this wondering had grown to encompass a curiosity about the kind of people she herself came from, because they were my family, too, after all, even though I knew nothing about them. I'd no idea whether they were loud or soft-spoken, funny or boring, preferred cho ...more
Published May 28th 2002 by Harper Perennial (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere South of Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere South of Here

Alex Hoshor
Jul 19, 2012 Alex Hoshor rated it liked it
Kind of a serviceable mess. If I hadn’t read Eddie’s Bastard, I probably wouldn’t have scored this one so generously. So read Eddie’s Bastard first, okay? Come into this one with some inertia (if at all). It’s all surface emotion and quirk and subplot that works best when merely skated upon. If one tries to stop and crack into any layers of depth, one will hurt one’s foot when the shovelhead hits a big ole dumb rock. If you don’t care about the rock though, you’ll be all like weeeeeee…that was n ...more
Ian Mapp
Dec 19, 2012 Ian Mapp rated it liked it
Sequel to the ever excellent eddies bastard, which sees eddie head down to Sante Fe in search of his mother.

I suppose this is the law of diminsihing returns, as this is not as good as its predecessor.

You have to say that the characters, minor and major, are again well drawn... with introductions to his sister, mother, new friend from college and girlfriend, consuela.... and the wry humour is still there.

Things that I didnt like were the way that the chapters were not introduced as they were with
Bruth George
good reading about several people affected by unusual childhoods, illegitimate baby raised by grandfather, searching for his mother.
Christy Willis
We seek our roots to know ourselves, but soon realize that it is the journey that helps make us who we are.
Hollis
Apr 27, 2014 Hollis rated it liked it
Written by Molly's friend - not fantastic, but good storytelling
Diana
Jul 12, 2010 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nach dem Tod seines Großvaters macht sich Billy Mann auf die Suche nach seiner Mutter, die ihn als Baby mit dem Zettel "Eddies Bastard" bei seinem Großvater auf der Schwelle abgegeben hatte.

In New Mexiko angekommen trifft er als Erstes auf einen durchgeknallten Vietnam-Veteranen, der ihn für einen ehemaligen Kriegskollegen hält.

Dies ist nur die erste von vielen skurillen Begegnungen, die Kowalski Billy wiederfahren lässt.

Ich mag Kowalskis Stil und seine verrückten Charaktere sehr und das Buch
Karen
Apr 29, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't crazy about this book like I was it's prequel, Eddie's Bastard... but it was ok. I wondered as I was reading if I'd be enjoying it at all, if some details would have meant a thing, if I would even like the main character, Billy, if I hadn't read Eddie's Bastard.. which I totally loved. Somewhere South of Here was a bit of a disappointment. And I was a little sad because Billy's mom died of ovarian cancer... the same disease that killed my sister :(
Jen Jenson
Nov 16, 2011 Jen Jenson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sequel?! I stumbled upon this book at the library and thought it looked good... Which it was. Although it seemed that he was just rambling about things. But I was compelled nonetheless and it reappears in my mind randomly. I'm curious what the other book could be like, since this one really didn't feel like a sequel at all.
Barbara
Jul 01, 2007 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: absolutefavs
Somewhere...continues the story of Billy and the search for the mother he never knew. You can feel Billy grow as he heads out into the world to try to find a missing piece of his life.

I would love to read more books about Billy. I really hope William Kowalski will write another.
Valerie
Jul 13, 2007 Valerie rated it liked it
I loved loved loved Eddie's Bastard, and after reading that, I'm sure nothing could have lived up to my expectations and hopes for Billy. I only gave this one three stars, but I have high hopes for Mr. Kowalski's future endeavors.
Liz
May 15, 2008 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read
This was the sequel to Eddie's Bastard which fell short of my expectations.

All in all not a bad book, but I felt like the author ran out of ideas. It was light and nice, but not as meaty as I like.
Anita
Aug 30, 2010 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed "Eddie's Bastard" and although this follow-up was readable it didn't excite me in the same way the first book about Billy's life did.
Louise
Mar 09, 2007 Louise rated it liked it
Light and fun to read, but not really memorable. I only remember that it wasn't as good as it's predecessor which can't be a good sign.
Hannah cowles
Mar 28, 2008 Hannah cowles rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's a man searching for his identity, and comes to find out that he was missing his soul.
Sabine
Mar 21, 2016 Sabine rated it really liked it
Not as good as 'Eddie's Bastard. He has lost his 'Steinbeckian Way' of writing, which appealed to me.
Sandra
Dec 27, 2010 Sandra rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to Eddie's Bastard. It wasn't a good by it gave closure to Billy's story. I enjoyed it.
Teresa Berman
Oct 06, 2013 Teresa Berman rated it really liked it
not as good as Eddie's Bastard (this is the sequel) but still enjoyable
Pat35
Dec 02, 2014 Pat35 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it.. thought provoking .. characters were well drawn
Velvetink
Jan 31, 2013 Velvetink rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, usa
5o cents!
Hilde
Hilde marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Lisa Riley
Lisa Riley rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Nathan Fisher
Nathan Fisher rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Tunde
Tunde marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Heidi Wegner
Heidi Wegner is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2016
Aletheia
Aletheia rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Alice Rowen
Alice Rowen rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Elri
Elri rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2016
Melissa Da Costa
Melissa Da Costa rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Death of a Garage Sale Newbie (Bargain Hunters Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mother Road
  • Ein Tag im Jahr
  • Return to Amberley
  • Day of the Bees
  • MotherKind
  • Sweet Dreams at the Goodnight Motel (Valentine, #6)
  • Gone to Ground
  • Starting Over
  • Blood Retribution (Lee Nez, #2)