Start by marking “Ice Magic” as Want to Read:
Ice Magic

Ice Magic

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  294 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The twins toy hockey game seems to be magic as it plays games identical to the real ones before they even happen.
School & Library Binding, 151 pages
Published December 19th 2009 by Little Brown & Co (Juv) (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Magic

Josiah
May 05, 2016 Josiah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hockey isn't as common a subject as baseball, football, or basketball in Matt Christopher's junior novels, but he writes the game action competently even as he adds his signature sprinkling of the paranormal. Young Pie Pennelli is an adequate right winger for the Penguins of his Fly League hockey team. He isn't their top scorer—that would be Terry "the terrible" Mason, an outspoken defenseman who's always heckled Pie for his blunders on the ice but has ridden him especially hard lately—and he i ...more
Bruce Boes
Mar 09, 2014 Bruce Boes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character in ice hockey was Pie. He had a bad life at home living up to the expectations his parents have for him that his brother set. He also got some old skates from his brother that he just can't skate in that hold him back. I feel bad for Pie for the way he is treated by teammates too I thought Matt Christopher did a very good job with the book.
Pie is a hockey player with very bad luck with skates and the teammates he has to deal with. His bad luck soon washes off when his neighb
Cathy
Jul 21, 2014 Cathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: Battle of the Books 2014-15
ICE MAGIC A strange power is at work in the rink... Pie Pennelli loves to play ice hockey, but he's got some problems: his hand-me-down skates are too big for him, and one of his teammates is always giving him a hard time. But Pie's troubles really begin when his next-door neighbors find an antique hockey game. They swear the game is magic and can predict every play Pie's team will make! When the magic game shows Pie immobilized in midgame, what does it mean for Pie on the ice?

Didn't love this b
Donovan Oneal
Ice Magic, this book is about a regular boy who loves to play hockey. One day after one of his hockey game his two younger neighbors tell him that everything that happened in their stick hockey game came true in his real life game. Pie doesn't believe them, but they are trying to convince him that they are not lying. Is this a coincidence or is it MAGIC? This book was very interesting I liked it a lot because I enjoy mysteries and I play hockey, this book combined the two. I recommend this book ...more
Connor
Oct 25, 2013 Connor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty good book I didn't like terry because he was mean.
Becca
Jan 16, 2015 Becca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, bb-2015
I was assigned to prepare review questions for this book last fall for our school district Battle of the Books endeavor. I was familiar with many of the titles on the proposed list, but not this one, and had to borrow it to fulfill my assignment. This is a niche book, good for the occasional boy who will only read sports books, but I did not enjoy it and thought, "What have I got myself into? If the other titles I am not familiar with are as bad as this how can I encourage kids to read them?"
Trever
Feb 24, 2015 Trever rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is super good. It is one of my favorites. Pie loves to play hockey. His old skates are too big for him so he always rolls his ankles. Him and his friends find an old antique hockey game and they think it's magic. They think it can control pies whole next game. Will it ruin his career or will it make him an all star?
Maufiroh
This book is about hockey games and magic. As Indonesian, hockey games is almost never played in my country. So, while I was reading this book, I got many knowledges about hockey games and because of that should make me to search in google to explore about it. Overall, I enjoyed this book. It tells me that we shouldnt accusse someone. Then, we should have coinscience to having an apology if we know that we were wrong. :)
Jody
Dec 29, 2014 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um...not my thing, but I've been hearing my whole career how Matt Christopher has turned so many kids, especialy boys, on to reading. The magic in this was a turn-off for me. A little cheesy. One more Battle of the Books book to go!
Mar 01, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a kid!!!!! I haven't read it lately but I remember reading it a lot when I was younger.
Kathy
Jan 27, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fun book for anyone who loves playing hockey. This book combined the game, with mystery, with magic. It was a lot of fun to read.
matt
Jan 15, 2014 matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood

My best friend played hockey growing up- a goalie, as it happens, and an all-state top ranked one- and his wife (another great friend of mine) also grew up playing goalie (in VT, not MA where he and I are from) and said she used to read about his shutouts in the newspapers.
Andrea C
Dec 04, 2014 Andrea C rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
it wasn't very good. i didn't like any of it.
Kristie Stauffer
Kinda weird. Ok.
Drew
Jul 23, 2007 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sports kids
Shelves: kids
What if your sports competitions were not a product of your own sweat and tears, but instead the result of some kid's ice hockey table? That's what happens here, and it prepares kids for something they learn about later called point shaving (when the ref or other players give effort based on the point spread).
Derek
Mar 06, 2016 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens_books
It's been years but I can still remember sitting down and reading this book between the library shelves of my middle school. And while I can't remember them all, I know I ready a bunch of Matt Christopher books, with none being better in my mind than Ice Magic.
Hillvan
Dec 05, 2014 Hillvan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
770L
Emily Lorkowski
Jan 01, 2012 Emily Lorkowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was not a bad book. I thought it should of caught the readers eye more. But i like it after all. It showed you to never give up and have fun with sports.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 421 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 4.8 - AR Pts: 2.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Caren
A little bit of magic along with the hockey theme.
Should be a good choice for some of the lower readers in Battle of the Books.
Stephen Torres
my favorite scence is hockey because they play on ice.they sit on the box.it will be 5 player on the ice and it hurt.
Chris
Apr 15, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characters include kids named Pie and Frog! It's like an allegory or something. But not.
Linda Mcleod
Aug 22, 2012 Linda Mcleod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to share with a reluctant third grade reader. We enjoyed it.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
I do not recommend this book. It was very hard to understand. J. N.
Caleb
May 22, 2011 Caleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book! I think you should read it.
Matthew
Jan 18, 2016 Matthew rated it liked it
another weird hockey book from matt christopher.
the boss  is awesome
gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood book
Ari F.
Jul 19, 2012 Ari F. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an ok book but it's to short
Nadine Hawel
May 09, 2009 Nadine Hawel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a magical BOOK!!
Matazuki
Feb 16, 2013 Matazuki marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I hope this book is good.
  • Harry's Mad
  • Phineas L. MacGuire . . . Erupts!: The First Experiment
  • Punished!
  • The Stupids Have a Ball (The Stupids, #2)
  • A Cricket in Times Square
  • All About Sam (Sam Krupnik, #1)
  • Best of the Best (Baseball Great, #3)
  • A Lion to Guard Us
  • The Boy Who Saved Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #2)
  • The Clue At The Bottom Of The Lake (Cabin Creek Mysteries #2)
  • The Big Bazoohley
  • How Angel Peterson Got His Name
  • The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
  • Air Raid--Pearl Harbor!: The Story of December 7, 1941
  • The Wish Giver: Three Tales of Coven Tree
  • Sugarcane Island (Choose Your Own Adventure, #62)
  • The Green Dog: A Mostly True Story
  • The Case of the Great Sled Race (Jigsaw Jones, #8)
Matt Christopher is the writer young readers turn to when they're looking for fast-paced, action-packed sports novels. He is the best-selling author of more than one hundred sports books for young readers.

Matt Christopher is America's bestselling sports writer for children, with more than 100 books and sales approaching six million copies. In 1992, Matt Christopher talked about being a children's
More about Matt Christopher...

“Foff,” 0 likes