Start by marking “In Deep Voodoo (Voodoo in Mojo, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Deep Voodoo (Voodoo in Mojo, #1)

In Deep Voodoo (Voodoo in Mojo #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  2,701 ratings  ·  234 reviews
Start With Bad Mojo . . . There's something strange afoot in the small town of Mojo, Louisiana. Yet even as the annual voodoo festival gets underway, Penny Francisco, who runs a health food business, refuses to believe in black magic. Her mind is on celebrating her divorce from her lying, cheating husband Deke.

Add a Pinprick of Revenge . . .

Fueled by run-ins with her ex-mo
Published September 1st 2005 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about In Deep Voodoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Deep Voodoo

Dalene
I chose this book from my free downloads for the Kindle. This was a really fun and quick read. There is plenty of laugh out loud moments all the way to the end.

I enjoyed all of the characters in this book. Penny is the main character and while she helps solve the mystery, she is not portrayed as a “true amateur sleuth” in this book. She kind of takes side notes with B.J. the PI who is visiting town working on missing persons cases. Penny has a few secrets herself.

Penny owns a health food store
Susan
3 1/2 out of 5 stars. Having never before read any of this author's works, I was pleasantly surprised by how entertaining this light mystery is. It is not destined to be a classic or even a book I remember reading six months from now but it satisfied what I wanted at the time --- something fun, enjoyable, and the literary equivalent of a small bag of potato chips.

There were parts grisly enough that they didn't bear thinking about too much. There were voodoo sacrifices, not much appreciated by me
Cheryl Landmark
This was a quick, entertaining read with a nice blend of humour, light-heartedness, romance and dark, chilling moments. Throw in a voodoo festival, black magic, murder, bone-chilling rituals and a plethora of quirky characters and you have a book that keeps you reading until the end.

Penny Francisco was a likeable character for the most part, although I must say that she was a bit more of a health fanatic than I liked and her attitude annoyed me at times. And, she could have been a little more as
Lynda Kelly
Another very good book by this author. Again, there are some real laugh-out-loud moments or expressions in it and I really enjoyed it. It's about Penny who is recently divorced and her pals throw her a freedom party. She's given a voodoo doll dressed as her ex and stabs it. All in good fun until said ex is found murdered !! So it's got a nice dose of murder and thriller mixed in with the humour.
Penny is a little uptight and certainly eats some odd stuff all in the healthy living cause and she'd
Tash
I have finally finished this book! I have to admit, it took me some time to finish this book and not because it wasn't good, it was different! I liked it well enough but don't expect me to pick it up for a 2nd go.
Maybe part of the reason I had a didn't really get into the book as much as I'd hope was because I couldn't connect with Penny Francisco, the main character. I viewed her as a weakling and at some point I felt she got what she deserved because she allowed it to happen. If you don't spea
Barbara ★
When Penny Francisco's cheating ex-husband, Deke Black, turns up murdered, Penny is the prime suspect as she was found at the scene by the new younger vindictive girlfriend. Enter gorgeous Cajun PI BJ Beaumont who is helping Penny investigate the many inconsistencies in the police case against her.

This is a light voodoo novel not a dark black magic one. A great mystery with engaging likable characters. The conclusion is very satisfying but leaves enough loose ends - not really connected to the
Bnice
This was my first read by this author and i enjoyed the reading very much! it was our book club choice for the month. im not really a murder book reade but this book had me wanting to know who killed who and years of secreta were revealed. in a small town if Mojo everything takes place and everything unfolds. i enjoyed getn to know the characters and BJ was my fave! i didnt really like Pennys friends. Like my friends friend told ger daughter, "Friends dont get friends pregnant". That dint happen ...more
Sonja
I was under the spell of IN DEEP VOODOO by about page 5. The setting immediately drew me in, and the characters and storyline soon after. At first, I was afraid that there were too many characters to keep them all straight, but everything added up in the end in a satisfying, if darker-than-expected conclusion. The most confusing part of the book, for me, was the tone. Lots of light humor inter-mixed with some pretty dark stuff, like a murder and a grisley conclusion. Still, I enjoyed reading it ...more
Kay Van Slyke
This was a great, fun read and on my own booklist I will give it 4.5 stars. I loved the characters and the "voodoo" plot. After visiting the torture chambers in Amsterdam, I could truly envision the museum in Mojo. So now it's on to "Voodoo or Die" with Gloria Dalton from the first book.
Toni N
Loved this book. Thought the setting/plot was different from any I've read. And, who wouldn't love the whole puke-pink house thing? As a divorced woman, I couldn't imagine living or working across the street from my ex-husband and not throwing something through his windows daily. So good for Penny for being stronger than I. LOL
Jennifer Schaper
Review Courtesy of: Books That Hook

In Deep Voodoo by Stephanie Bond (2005, Avon Books) is a hard-to-put down mystery/romantic suspense about a woman who is falsely accused of killing her man-slut ex-husband. A sexy, Cajun, private investigator helps her clear her name while he searches for two women gone missing in the area.

The story is intricate, thrilling, and cohesive.

I can’t say anything negative about this book, except, maybe, that it would have been nice to know if there really was some su
Ann Marie
I liked this but it was a little too creepy for me. This book was a ride carrying murder, a voodoo festival, a snake and a whole bunch of weirdo characters. Even with all of this, I have to say that Bond does weave a great story.
Renee
Herb shop and juice bar owner Penny Francisco found it trying enough to run her shop across the street from the house she used to share with her ex-husband, Deke. Even more so when he brought his new girlfriend in to live with him. It couldn't be even worse if he were dead, could it?

Yeah, it could.

I enjoyed this book thoroughly. Bond created a small town filled with unique and interesting characters; I can only hope she's able to write at least a few more books to explore them more. The book wa
Marie
A well written novel, with an interesting plot and though it was "somewhat" predictable to some extant, the mystery was still grabbing enough to make it a page turner.
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Overall plot was pretty good, kept me guessing who dunn-it, but it was very drawn out.
Angela
16 January 2015: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
Rhonda
Sep 15, 2013 Rhonda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
"When Deke Black is stabbed through the heart with a lawn stake, the secrets of Mojo, La., start bursting to the fore in this lively first of a new romantic mystery trilogy from Rita Award–winner Bond (Whole Lotta Trouble). Deke's ex, health-food store owner Penny Francisco, is the primary suspect. Not only was she found at the scene of the crime holding the murder weapon but, at her divorce celebration, she stabbed a voodoo doll bearing Deke's likeness. The police are keen to pin the crime on P ...more
Brenda
This was the second book by Stephanie Bond that I read. I really like this author. She has some great laughs included in her stories. I'm sure anyone who picks up one of her booss would find them interesting.
The book has been entertaining and a very fast raad. I would really refer this book to anyone. I can't remember all the particular as it has been a while since I've read the book. The info on the book here at Good Reads: Start With Bad Mojo . . . There's something strange afoot in the small
Wendy Cantu
From the window of her herb shop, Penny Francisco heartbreakingly watches painters slather on coats of Pepto Bismal Pink paint to the old Victorian home she had put her blood, sweat and tears into restoring. It was no longer her home - not since her cheating lying ex, Deke, got it in the divorce. Now, his young blonde floozy of a girlfriend lived there. And clearly, she had about as good taste in decorating as she does in men.

As much as she hated Deke for what he'd put her through, she didn't wa
Christine
This is an amusing story and a quick read.
Newly divorced Penny owns a business across the street from her old home - a Victorian that she lovingly restored. She is horrified to see that her ex-husband's girlfriend (the woman he cheated on her with) is having it painted 'puke pink.'
She's still not over the divorce despite having left him and starting divorce proceedings 10 months ago. One of her employees throws Penny a divorce party and this is where a lot of the trouble starts. Penny receives
Lady Ethereal Butterfly
In Deep Voodoo by Stephanie Bond is a light romantic suspense novel set in Louisiana with cute, funny characters and a simple but entertaining plot. Penny Francisco, newly divorced, is celebrating her new freedom from her cheating scumbag ex-husband, Deke, in the small town of Mojo, Louisiana at the same time that the annual Voodoo festival is going on. While she’s having a good time at the divorce party her friends have thrown for her, she receives a joke gift of a voodoo doll that looks a lot ...more
Elizabeth Noah Astle
This is the first book of Stephanie Bond that I have read.

Penny is a newly divorcee. Her health shop is right across the street where her now ex-husband Zeke and his mistress, Sheena (who was the cause of the failed marriage) now live.

One of Penny's employees, Marie, throws her a divorced party and it really takes off from there. Next thing Penny knows is that her ex is dead and she is the number one suspect. Penny joins forces with BJ, who is a private detective in town during the voodoo festiv
Lori Sparks Shoemake
I absolutely love, love, love reading Stephanie Bond's books! This one was an especially fun ride and I recommend it. The only thing I noticed in this book was overuse of the phrase, "she wet her lips". It was used multiple times, as well as one additional, "he wet HIS lips", thrown in for good measure. It did not spoil the book for me at all, I just kept applying Chapstick as I worked my way through the twists and turns to the surprise conclusion, haha! Thank you, Ms. Bond, I look forward to re ...more
Randy
A pretty good romantic murder mystery. The plot is interesting with lots of suspects, but all of the Stephanie Bond books I've read have pretty much the same characters, usually a woman who has lost her husband and finds herself involved in a murder. Of course there has to be some hot sex with an Adonis-type guy. I guess the average-looking male just doesn't cut the mustard. And, of course, like in most stories involving murder, mystery and romance, the protagonist has to get herself into situat ...more
Holly
For me, this was good but not great. The attraction/romance wasn't quite as developed as I would have preferred but overall, it was an interesting and fun read even though some elements were a bit dark. I read the second story in the series first and liked it much better.

I've read several books that I loved by this author so I'll be back to read more.
Amee
I didn't really like this book. It is the second book in a 3 book set offered free for the kindle. I liked the first book better, but I might have liked this one better if I hadn't already read the first one. It was basically the same story in a different location with different names. I'm also not a fan of erotica and even though this book didn't have too much of that it was far more than necessary for the storyline. And the end was ridiculous. I still have one more books in the set to read, bu ...more
Eperdu
Overall I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read that had a lot of amusing characters and ideas. I think that I'd probably continue reading this series. It reminded me of the Southern Vampire Mysteries series (Sookie Stackhouse) by Charlaine Harris. It had the quirky characters, the mystery and the southern bent.

There was a lot that wasn't wrapped up in the story but I know there are more in the series. I'm fairly certain these issues will crop up again.

One issue I had was the number of people
Barbara
Stephanie Bond's light and fluffy romance, "In Deep Voodoo" is set in the fictitious town of Mojo, LA, where black magic is all too real. The town's voodoo festival sets the scene for health food business owner Penny Francisco is celebrating her divorce from cheating husband Deke. Deke's mother is the town's mayor and this causes problems for Penny. Add to this Deke's new wife, a busty blond named Sheena who paints an old mansion pink just to annoy Penny.

At Penny's emancipation party, she is gi
joyce horton
? Entertaining, humorous mystery.

Set in a typical small southern town where everyone knows each other's business or thinks they do. A wonderful cast of characters with enough twists to keep you guessing right up to the end. if you enjoy a quirky mystery, you'll enjoy Voodoo!
Pat
A lot of characters I had to go back and check involvement if not mentioned for awhile. I enjoyed my read first time for Stephanie Bond. My husband would read bloody mysteries but he enjoyed my "cozy" mystery. I think they are true. I will follow Ms. Bond when I catch up on my reading list.
Pat S.
  • In Deep Shitake (Shitake Mystery, #1)
  • Dance of the Winnebagos (Jackrabbit Junction, #1)
  • The Ex Who Wouldn't Die (Charley's Ghost, #1)
  • Diary of a Confessions Queen
  • London Broil (Wendy Darlin Tomb Raider #2)
  • Cut, Crop & Die (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #2)
  • The Huntress
  • Strictly Murder
  • Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #1)
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • The Temporary Detective (Isobel Spice #1)
  • 'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy (Bombay Assassins, #1)
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5)
  • The Heart of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #2)
  • Copping Attitude
  • Sweet Masterpiece (A Samantha Sweet Mystery #1)
Stephanie Bond was seven years deep into a systems engineering career and pursuing an MBA at night when an instructor remarked that she had a flair for writing and suggested that she submit to academic journals. But Stephanie, a voracious reader, was only interested in writing fiction–more specifically, romantic fiction.

Upon completing her master’s degree and with no formal training in writing (he
More about Stephanie Bond...

Voodoo in Mojo (2 books)
  • Voodoo or Die (The Mojo, #2)
Body Movers (Body Movers, #1) 2 Bodies for the Price of 1 (Body Movers, #2) 3 Men and a Body (Body Movers, #3) 5 Bodies to Die For (Body Movers, #5) 4 Bodies and a Funeral (Body Movers, #4)

“Some people were like rubber bands--willing to stretch but eager to snap back into place at the first opportunity.” 5 likes
“There are a lot of things in the world that are unexplainable - love at first sight, vegetable pizza, and potpourri, for instance. But I doubt your ex's murder is one of them.” 4 likes