I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)

I Dare (Liaden Universe #13)

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  1,284 ratings  ·  38 reviews
In the action-packed conclusion to the saga of the Liaden Universe(r), the war between Clan Korval and the sinister Department of the Interior escalates as the DOI attempts to recruit Val Con's less than scrupulous cousin to their cause...
Published July 29th 2003 by Ace (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about I Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Dare

Kathleen
Here is a BOOK QUIZ.
After reading the e-book, I listened to Caploe's narration. It was okay (brief analysis further below). By the way, one of the sequels is FREE. It is the first book in this particular sequence, Agent of Change (FREE on Amazon, and at Baen).

Anyhoo...Pat Rin yos'Phelium takes center stage in I Dare. He is a gambler of extraordinary luck and a champion sharpshooter, but alas, he's also a frippery, an elegant lordling with no dramliz gifts and no affinity for piloting. An outs...more
Melanti
I really thought I had read this one - along with Local Custom and Scout's Progress. Once I started, it has become rather evident that I had not. This is the conclusion to the Agent of Change sequence - the plot-line with the Department of the Interior.

I've been fascinated with Pat Rin ever since his character was referred to in Conflict of Honors. While the first bit of Pat Rin we see is rather drab (no jewels or fancy parties to be seen), once he truly becomes involved in the action, his tran...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
5/5; 5 stars; A+

I can't decide if this is my favorite of the series or if Local Custom is. Never mind, it doesn't matter; I loved this book. I am so happy to have re-read it because there is an amazing amount of complexity that I missed the first time.

The story is like a complex weaving. The reader is kept abreast of several story lines on multiple planets and as the book comes to its conclusion the lines weave more tightly and faster and the next thing you know there is a fabulous cohesive ser...more
Debrac2014
I Dare was awesome! I had put off reading Pat Rin's part of the story because I really had no interest in his character but he won me over! I do wonder why Koval thought the contract was still in force and why Val Con was so happy that the contract was terminated and Koval exiled!
Jim

I DARE The dynamic conclusion to the Agent of Change series in Lee and Miller's Liaden Universe®! Val Con yos'Phelium-a Scout, former Agent of Change, husband, brother to Turtles, and designated heir to Clan Korval's fortune and mission... whether you considered him respectable or not, no one would call him a gambling man. When he reappears demanding Balance and retribution, he looks exactly like the kind of leader his clan has been producing for generations. On his capable shoulders the fate

Sbuchler
Genre: Space Opera

This book concludes the story arc started in _Agent of Change_. For all that I'm very fond of Miri and Val Con, the real "meat" of this book (imo) is the story of Pat Rin and Natasa reviving Surebleak. But then I have a great fondness for stories about rebuilding stuff. More so then any of the other books in the series, the POV jumps around _a lot_; between Val Con, Miri, Shan, Pricilla, Anthora, and Pat Rin. Alot of different stories/relationships are being followed.
Katharine Kimbriel
Jun 08, 2008 Katharine Kimbriel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults, YA who want space adventure.
Recommended to Katharine by: My hearthheart Whit
Shelves: science-fiction
This is great SF adventure with characters you will care about and fascinating new cultures where everything is not as it appears. Start with AGENT OF CHANGE and CARPE DIEM and watch the worlds, the characters, the strength of storytelling grow and grow!

The "Agent of Change" Miller&Lee books are among my favorite re-read books. Adult and YA-able -- mature concepts/relationships, no current vulgarities, graphic sex or senseless violence.
Julie Davis
Brilliant and exciting end to the Department's attempt to control Clan Corval. We get to see Pat Rin, the least known but not the least by any means, member of the Clan as he executes his plan for Balance on Surebleak. Fascinating look at how to reform a Wild West style planet that is out of control into a working society. As well as a dang good story.
Dana Stabenow
Last (so far) in the Liaden series. I want more!
Kiri
Just reread this because I've been in a Liaden universe rereading frenzy. This is a favorite for many fans of Lee and Miller, and I can understand why. The wrap-up of the plot events that began with "Agent of Change" is a pretty big deal. It involves all of the living members of Clan Korval that we've come to know and love, plus we get to know a few of them a lot better than we ever have before.

So why does it leave me a little disappointed? I think the biggest issue is that it could easily have...more
Red
I'm about 75 pages in right now. A few issues:
There are too many story lines going on. All of the lines from Plan B and 2 new ones. Having all but 1 take place in the same time line, and then having Pat Rin's story being told several months behind everyone else, isn't helping either. It feels like The authors suddenly realized in this the 3rd book of a trilogy, that they've left out someone pretty important, and are scrambling to get his story line included and up to speed, while still moving th...more
Jacqueline
The final story so far in the Liaden series. Hopefully there will be more taking off from this point. I don't count the books about Theo Wately because they tell her childhood up until she shows up in this book (and are not nearly as good in my opinion) This might be my favorite of the series. Kind of depends on the day I guess. Great sci fi space opera and sci fi romance. The romances are light but they are an integral part of the story. I have a very great fondness for Pat Rin who could be con...more
Likethereporter
Oh. It's number 13 in a series. Well, no wonder it was a little confusing; being dropped in mid-action, and all. Enjoyed it anyway.
Kathy Martin
The conclusion to the Agent of Change series sees Clan Korval and its allies bringing the war home to Liad to directly confront the Department of the Interior and to protect Liad. After the clan scattered in Plan B, Pat Rin, thinking he was the only one of Korval alive, plots his balance. He forges an alliance with the Juntavas and finds a lifemate in Inas Bhar, Sector Judge. Then he goes to Surebleak to make it the new base of operations for Clan Korval. Meanwhile the rest of the clan is making...more
BobA707
Summary: Another great episode in the Liaden universe. Lots of imagination

Plotline: A little weaker than some of the others. Both the enemy and the RinTin thread seemed contrived

Premise: Excellent I love this universe

Writing: Beautiful, simple

Ending: Against all the odds ... good stuff

Pace: Never a dull moment

Scribal
My favorite space opera series.

Because this title is wrapping up several plot lines in the three book sequence (Agent of Change and Plan B precede it) it can seem a little choppy. But I found Plan B much less cohesive.

I loved getting to know Pat Rin and watching him solve so much more than his own problem!
Jeff Crosby
Okay, large parts of this book are predictable. There are a few elements that over complicate the story without real reason. But, this is just flat out fun space opera from start to finish. I should note that it is heavily dependent upon the reader having previously completed the other books in the series.
Sctechsorceress
Loved it! This was a book that was really hard to put down! One of the things that Lee and Miller do really well, is getting you to know the characters so well, that they can act in a totally unprecedented way, and you still clearly understand their motivations and what prepared them to do this new thing.
Carolyn F.
This book was good, but for some reason as soon as I started reading it, I'd get so tired that within an hour I needed to go to bed or take a nap. Then finally the last 1/3 to 1/4 the book became more exciting and I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to see what happens in Surebleak.
Angela James
While I enjoyed this book a lot, as a conclusion, I felt it didn't feel very concluded. There was a alot that felt unexplained and left up to the reader to somehow infer? So I enjoyed it but ultimately it wasn't as satisfying as I might have hoped for!
Muff
I'm finished with the main series. I enjoyed it a lot. Novelist suggested it for me because I love the Vorkosigan series. While it was good, Korval isn't Vorkosigan. Guess it's time for another reread of Miles and Co.
Estara
It really is a wholly satisfying end for now with two major new players introduced. I'm very much looking forward to reading Ghost Ship whenever it becomes available.
Sandra
This is a great series! Rich in culture, politics, and characters. Also much mysticism is incorporated into the science of this universe.
Denise
An eminently satisfying conclusion to the main storyline, although again blossoming with side-stories begging to be explored.
Catherine
One of my all time favorite novels. Best if read after Conflict of Honors and Agent of Change. That is if you can get them.
David Chittenden
An excellent conclusion to this part of the series, and it leaves room for more. I will continue reading these authors!
Dan
One of the best books in the series. No matter how often I reread it, I laugh, cry, and shout with glee.
Becca
In this Liaden book we learn more about Pat Rin, but that was the only feature that really stuck out for me.
Christine
Yet another great book from the Liaden universe; I'm quite addicted to this series
  • An Accidental Goddess
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)
  • Once a Hero (The Serrano Legacy, #4)
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • Endless Blue
  • Bound in Blood (Kencyrath, #5)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she...more
More about Sharon Lee...
Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9) Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8) Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1; Liaden Universe, #12) Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5) Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)