Start by marking “Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time (Houndsley and Catina, #3)” as Want to Read:
Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time (Houndsley and Catina, #3)

Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time (Houndsley and Catina #3)

The creators of the E. B. White Read Aloud winner HOUNDSLEY AND CATINA offer a charming sequel about taking time out from the hustle and bustle.

The first snow of winter has fallen, and Houndsley is very happy, as he loves the quiet time. Catina does not like the quiet time, however, and she does not enjoy being snowed in. What about all her plans for the day? What if their
Published September 9th 2008 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time

babyhippoface
Apr 04, 2011 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-fiction
As friends Houndsley and Catina look forward to their upcoming concert, a snowstorm threatens to cancel the event. Catina is frustrated, but Houndsley is enthralled by the quiet beauty of the falling snow. By pretending they are stranded on an island, they find many happy ways to pass the time, and still manage to make their concert. Marie-Louise Gay's muted watercolors are a charming partner to the vivid imagery and lyrical language that make this early chapter book an absolute gem.
Terry
Feb 10, 2009 Terry added it
Shelves: ez-chapter
What a refreshing story! It is perfect for a snowy day ... or remembering a snowy day. In his quiet way, Houndsley draws Catina into the fun of enjoying the unexpected and invites us along, as well. The watercolor illustrations draw out the coolness of the season, yet make you feel warm inside, too. I was surprised, though that the readability level came out at the fourth grade.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Sandie
Dec 25, 2015 Sandie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is my first Houndsely and Catina book....I have to say that my daughter and I and maybe most especially me just love these characters! I think the pictures are darling but the story is wonderful. Houndsley and Catina compliment each other so well and make such a wonderful story together. Everyone should have a best friend like this. I look forward to reading more books by this auther!
Danette
Nov 16, 2016 Danette rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I want to be snowed in with cookies, poetry, and a good friend.
Read with Julia.
Josiah
Oct 24, 2015 Josiah rated it it was ok
One of the interesting things about the Houndsley and Catina series is the "About the Author" section on the rear inside flap of the book jacket, which always includes a word from both the author and illustrator about what each particular book means to them. I like what James Howe has to say about the writing of Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time, that it is a reminder to himself, as well as to the many kids whose schedules are so overstuffed with activities that they're never able to stop ...more
Dolly
Apr 04, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love love love the Houndsley and Catina series by James Howe and Marie-Louise Gay. The collaboration has resulted in four (and hopefully more to come!) stories that are simple, contemplative and heartwarming. They are truly a joy to read aloud. This story centers around a winter storm, and while Catina is frantic about all of the things she is missing, Houndsley reminds her of the simple joy of enjoying the quiet and simply surrendering to the beauty of the storm. This is a perfect book ...more
Jill
Mar 27, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This was my first experience with a Houndsley and Catina book and I fell in love! Such a sweet story that is simple yet rich in illustrating the truly meaningful things in life. As someone who loves and performs music, I also particularly appreciate the sub-story about how music brings people together and can express and magnify the beauty around us. I was captivated by the way the author and illustrator quietly celebrate the peacefulness of slowing down. I love the subtlety of the artwork - ...more
Ramona
Nov 07, 2009 Ramona rated it really liked it
What a nice "quiet" book for bedtime. Houndsley and Catina are practicing for the concert but it looks like they might get snowed in. Catina starts to worry about all the things she can't do when they are stuck in the house, like go home to curl her whiskers and put on a dress for the concert, but Houndsley reminds her to focus on the fun things they can do when it is snowing and quite. Like bake cookies and write poems and read them to each other which my daughter said she wanted to do today! A ...more
Shannonmde
Feb 03, 2016 Shannonmde added it
Shelves: 2016
there are some great lines in this book about a music concert in the snow...

Houndsley began to worry that Bert would ruin everything. Bert's only part was to play tie final note of the final piece of music. how awful, Houndsley thought, to end the evening with a crash.
But when the last note came, it was not a crash or a clash or a boom or a bang. It was the closest that cymbals can come to silence. It sounded like a chime in the wind. It lingered and floated and fell into the quiet time. 3
Mary
Dec 27, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
I adore books like this: Beautiful, calming narratives enriched by like illustrations. A (5y) got this in her stocking and read it to herself first, but then asked me to read it aloud with her later that day. N (7y) listened in, and they both engaged with the story by asking questions and suggesting related scenarios. It has a lovely ending that might send you into the kitchen to heat up some cocoa if not bake some cookies.
JaNeal
Aug 03, 2016 JaNeal rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Though I love the original Houndsley and Catina most of all (one of my favorite early readers--a format I read extensively), this one is delightful! The mood is palpable and the character are charming. The author also weaves details masterfully through such a simple form. And then there are the illustrations--a perfect companion to the text. Love it! I'll be reading this one over and over.
Julie Esanu
Jan 10, 2012 Julie Esanu rated it really liked it
The Houndsley and Catina series is a wonderful collection of books that focus on friendship and the quotidian activities of children. This lovely book made me want to curl up with cocoa and cookies and enjoy a quiet winter afternoon. It is a great book to use with kindergarten and first grade because students are able to make many text-to-self connection.
Christine
Mar 26, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it
It's really snowing outside and Catina is fretting. Houndsley teaches her how to enjoy the "quiet time" and finds fun things for them to do indoors. Great story to read when there is a blizzard raging outside.
Heather
Mar 03, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
45 months - we've read a few of these short chapter books and enjoyed them. Being fairly quiet people this one was particularly fitting. We also enjoy Marie-Louise Gay's illustrations... A Canadian author illustrator we have read many of her Stella books.
Molly
Jan 28, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, reader
Houndsley and Catina are wonderful characters but I really like this book when they have a snow day and Catina is getting a little worried about their concert. I think this is a fun book for a kid when their is the hopes of a snow day.
May 17, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Love it! Love the cute relationship this dog and cat have. Love that they are stuck inside during a snow storm and find fun things to do together that aren't TV. They pretended that they were on an island. It is just cute! I wanted to hang out with them.
Julie
Dec 22, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
Beautiful story about a quiet, snowy, winter day. These books are so gentle. And I was pleased to see it recognized as a best book of 2008 by School Library Journal!
Malissa
May 12, 2012 Malissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-kids, series
The three little chapters in this book are sweet and thoughtful. The illustrations are beautiful. Perfect for first and second graders.
Meher
Meher rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Lynnstein
Lynnstein rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Monica
Monica rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2008
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
May 16, 2012
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2010
Cheyanna
Cheyanna rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Paint the Porch
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read)
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • The Case of the Missing Jelly Donut
  • Zelda And Ivy
  • Wolf! Wolf!
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • Scoot!
  • Squirrel's World: Candlewick Sparks

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi
More about James Howe...

Houndsley and Catina (4 books)
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Houndsley and Catina and The Birthday Surprise (Houndsley and Catina, #2)
  • Houndsley and Catina Plink and Plunk (Houndsley and Catina, #4)