Start by marking “Grace” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Grace

Robert Drewe

Grace

Grace is a young urban film critic on the run from a delusional stalker an erotomaniac who fell in love with the photo on her magazine column. Leading an adventure tour in the wilderness in Australia, she chances upon a young refugee, an escapee from a desert detention camp. He's on the run, she's on the run. This is a novel about that most pertinent and deluded of animal ...more
Published October 10th 2006 by Penguin Australia (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace

Ape
Sep 28, 2014 Ape rated it really liked it
2009 bookcrossing review...

I really enjoyed this book; it was certainly well worth the wait.
This book is about the woman, Grace, in so much depth. It is about her whole life, seeing how she got her name, growing up with her father and then working as a film reviewer and picking up a completely demented stalker (I strangely got a mental image of a Chris Evans-like guy in appearance). There is also something about illegal immigrints today in Australia (compared to how her father came in and how-wh
Kristy Trauzzi
Apr 10, 2011 Kristy Trauzzi rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I really did not enjoy this book. It took me forever to read it. Ugh.

To me this book had three story lines going - with nothing really linking them together. It just decided to jump to her dad, and back to her, and then to the random boy.

I felt no satisfaction by any of the stories. And was locking him in that cabinet literal? Was it supposed to be just trying to prove something?

Really. Really. Really. Awful book. 2 Thumbs Down!
Jane
Aug 02, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
Anthropology, asylum seekers, a stalker and his stalkee set amidst beautifully candid decriptions of the north west of WA. A fast paced story with plenty of texture. Really enjoyed it.
Anne_MB
Jul 20, 2010 Anne_MB rated it really liked it
A multi-layered contemporary novel that drew me in more and more as I read. The title refers to the main character, Grace, who is fleeing a deranged stalker, and is also the name given by her anthropological father to an ancient skeleton he finds in the desert of the northwest of Western Australia. As well as the linked stories of Grace and her father, current issues of the detention of refugees and of Aboriginal identity are touched on and woven into their lives. Another great book from Robert ...more
Carolyn Mck
Jan 07, 2016 Carolyn Mck rated it liked it
Grace is a young woman who is being pursued by a stalker. She was named after a ‘gracile’ aboriginal skeleton discovered by her father many years before. Drewe attempts too much in this novel. The connections between anthropology, aboriginal history, conservation, tourist parks, illegal immigrants and erotomania are elusive. There are disturbing ideas here, and a strong sense of Australian landscape and settlement over many waves of arrivals, but they sit rather uneasily with the sardonic humour ...more
Calzean
The storyline of looking at Australia’s first people with the arrival of the latest boat people was interesting. But I did not really enjoy this book.

Too many parts looked back on the lives of one of the characters with detail that did not seem to add much to the story. The links between the main characters – Grace, her anthropologist father, the stalker and a refugee boy – did not resonate with me. They had common themes – uncertain pasts, being hunted, seeking attention – but the book just did
S'hi
Mar 06, 2012 S'hi rated it did not like it
I found this book so boring that I forgot that I had already attempted to read it and given up, rather than just getting distracted with other things. Being such a voracious reader it actually takes quite a bit to distract me, so I should have realised much sooner. don't think I'll bother with any of his other books, despite having a good reputation by other's standards.
Karen Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2013 Karen Elizabeth rated it liked it
not his best work. normally really enjoy his writing. this book difficult to maintain interest. could not engage with characters, narrative difficult to follow, stories didnt hold together. some interesting information about life in different parts of Australia. scope was large but for me, I didn't feel he carried it off well.
Sally
Nov 27, 2013 Sally rated it really liked it
Another wonderful book from a fabulous Australian author. Grace moves from her inner city life to the Kimberleys for reasons which will be revealed upon reading. Beautiful descriptive writing by Drewe covering issues such as Father - Daughter relationships, stress, asylum seekers, just to name a few. I read this book in a week and can't wait to read more of his work.
Donna
Apr 11, 2009 Donna rated it it was ok
Not overly impressed - didn't like the main character, found the whole story a bit too cliche or something. Others int eh club seemed to like it better than i did.

Christa
Dec 14, 2008 Christa rated it really liked it
While this book was not that great it was saved by the anthropology and insights into Australian politics.
Joey
Mar 11, 2016 Joey rated it it was ok
Heard a lot about this book and this writer, but found the pace to drag too often and the characters poorly created. Nice depiction of countryside, and surprising narrative shift.
mandy
Aug 31, 2010 mandy rated it liked it
Bel
Sep 21, 2013 Bel rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Didn't finish this book. Just could not get into it. Too many obvious references. Disappointing as I had higher expectations from this author.
Jacinta Fintan
Nov 29, 2009 Jacinta Fintan rated it really liked it
Loved it! But F**K me if I can figure out the last thing that happened in the book? Did she sleep with that dude and I just completely miss it?
Billa
Billa rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Travis
Travis rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Malcolm Frawley
Malcolm Frawley rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Carmen
Carmen rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Lindsay Boyd
Lindsay Boyd rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Emma
Emma rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2013
Ron
Ron rated it really liked it
May 27, 2012
David Enticott
David Enticott rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was ok
Dec 17, 2015
Leanne Pollard
Leanne Pollard rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Emma
Emma rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert Drewe is among Australia’s most loved writers – of novels, memoir and short stories. His iconic Australian books include The Shark Net, The Bodysurfers and Our Sunshine. He is also editor of Black Inc.’s Best Australian Stories annual series. Recently, he has revisited the short story himself, with a masterful new collection, The Rip. Jo Case spoke to him for Readings about storytelling.
More about Robert Drewe...