Start by marking “Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon, #1)

Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A young shepherd, Corydon, is driven out of his village because of his unusual appearance and then captured and put on display as a monster. Alongside him in the traveling freak show are Medusa, the Minotaur, the Sphinx, and other classical beasts. When Corydon helps these monsters to escape their cages, they scatter to seek peace and solitude away from prying eyes. But th ...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Corydon and the Island of Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corydon and the Island of Monsters

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanThe Mark of Athena by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
YA mythology books
53rd out of 66 books — 46 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
Greek Mythology
234th out of 319 books — 251 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
Admittedly I bought this book but was not expecting a great deal from it as the blurb was interesting but the book title was atrocious! When I had finished the first couple of chapters I was far from convinced that I was going to enjoy it but fortunatly it prooved me wrong. (NOTE- I would have wanted to give it 3.5 stars but there are no halves here to give and it didn't feel like a 4 star.)

Once the story truly begins this book is gripping but a lot of characters feel underdeveloped although I a
Jackie
Corydon, a simple sheep-herder, is an outcast exiled from his village because of his deformed goat-like leg. Little does he know that he will become a hero as he joins forces with the monsters Medusa, the Minotaur, Sphinx, the Gorgons and othera to defeat the Olympian heroes led by Perseus. Corydon is the son of Pan, and he fulfills his destiny as he defeats the heroes, expelling them from the island. Along the way, he journeys to the world of Hades, meets shades and also encounters Persephone ( ...more
Julie
May 24, 2009 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: Alex
Mythology has always been an inspiration for YA fiction, and Greek mythology in particular has been conspicuous of late thanks to Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson series. CIM is the first of a trilogy by Tobias Druitt (a pseudonym for a mother-son writing team in which the mother is a literature professor, though interestingly not classical literature).

Like Riordan and Anne Ursu, Druitt pulls figures from Greek myth and reinterprets them, in this case by making the traditional mythological monsters
Aelvana
Corydon was a simple shepherd boy, although an outcast. Then one day pirates kidnap him to use in their show of monsters because his leg is twisted. There he meets a host of monsters that are the other exhibits: a lion that breathes fire, a man with the head of a bull, and most frightening of all, the one he cannot see because she turns men to stone. But when he gets the chance to escape, he decides to side with the monsters.

The book lightly skewers Greek myths even as it makes much of them. Per
Terri
Corydon is driven out of his village when his neighbors discover his birth defect, one goat leg, and he is captured by the operators of a freak show of Greek monsters including Medusa, the Sphinx, and others. Corydon helps them escape, and their adventures retell the Greek myths from a new perspective in which it is the gods and heroes who are evil and the monsters are tragic. The tone of the book is not always consistent, shifting from the serious tone of high fantasy into serio-comic or sarcas ...more
Sapphire Pyro
~ Longer version @ my blog

It was cool to attempt to give the readers a different perspective on mythology and making the monsters the good guys..... but it's extremely boring. The book's trying to make the monsters as sympathetic as possible so hard... to the point that they've become annoying instead of pitiful. The "villains" are at least more entertaining, thanks to their silliness.
Mary
Marsha
There were some fun things about this book--it was full of Greek mythology, I occasionally liked some of the characters, and parts of the writing were ironic and funny--but there were a lot of slow parts and I only occasionally liked the characters. I had to force myself to finish, but maybe I am on juvenile book overload.
Mrs. Trimble
If you like the Rick Riordan books, you'll like Corydon. Medusa, gorgons, Zeus and Perseus are main characters. The "monsters" are living on an island and Perseus is determined to defeat them to give himself more credibility with his followers. This is a book about friendship, adventure and power.
Onna
It was very interesting. I've read so many books about Greek mythology, but this one was like a mixture of everything. The ending made me really sad. Most of it made me sad. It's not a happy story, but one of overcoming. I'm not going to read the others in the series, but I'm glad I finished this one.
Kevin
Interesting twist on the Greek Myths - the monsters are the good guys.
The monsters become more than just symbols but characters with personalities and feelings. Some violence but imaginative and entertaining first book in this trilogy. It will be interesting to see how the series develops.
Jamie Wates
A really good book, interestingly told from the monsters side of view. the monsters of the island must unify together to defeat the army led by Perseus, who is a coward. Will Corydon learn the magic powers of the staff in time to save his friends?
Jamie Wates
natercopia
Apr 29, 2011 natercopia marked it as to-read
Just because one of the co-author is a 12 year old boy and was featured in Child Genius.
Luane
This book is the fruit of reading Alice in Wonderland for the first time. I discovered the joy of reading fantasy children's books.
Sq.Hill Library
Apr 30, 2009 Sq.Hill Library marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Read alike to Percy Jackson Series.
Kate Hastings
For Percy Jackson Fans? SLJ grades 7-9.
Soccerboy
did not finish
Mandy  Sanchez
Mandy Sanchez marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Bruce Gargoyle
Bruce Gargoyle marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Simona F.
Simona F. marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Jill
Jill added it
Jan 24, 2015
Myriam
Myriam marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
  • Quicksilver
  • Day of the Scarab (The Oracle Prophecies, #3)
  • Songs on Bronze: The Greek Myths Made Real
  • Have a Hot Time, Hades! (Myth-O-Mania, #1)
  • The Ghost of Grania O'Malley
  • Odysseus in the Serpent Maze (Young Heroes, #1)
  • The Moon Riders (Moon Riders, #1)
  • The Gods of the Greeks
  • Birth of a Warrior (Spartan Warrior, #2)
  • Goddess of Yesterday
  • Daughter of Kura: A Novel
  • The Doomspell Trilogy
  • The Ratastrophe Catastrophe (The Illmoor Chronicles, #1)
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • Fringe Girl (Fringe Girl, #1)
  • Obsession: An Erotic Tale
  • Dogboy (Brind, #1)
  • Watching the Roses (Egerton Hall, #2)
Tobias Druitt is a pen name for the mother-and-son writing team of Diane Purkiss and Michael Dowling. Purkiss is on the faculty of Oxford University, and Dowling attends the prestigious Dragon School. They both live in Oxford, England.
More about Tobias Druitt...

Corydon (3 books)
  • Corydon and the Fall of Atlantis (Corydon, #2)
  • Corydon and the Siege of Troy (Corydon, #3)
Corydon and the Fall of Atlantis (Corydon, #2) Corydon and the Siege of Troy (Corydon, #3)