Start by marking “Drawing on the Powers of Heaven” as Want to Read:
Drawing on the Powers of Heaven

Drawing on the Powers of Heaven

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,187 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
The powers of heaven are very real and can dramatically influence the course of events in a person's life. In our relationship with deity, the powers of heaven include any influence of power (inspiration, gift of the spirit, power of the priesthood, etc.) which is governed by God and operates in our behalf. A study of the scriptures reveals that the ways the powers of heav ...more
Published July 13th 2015 by Ringmasters LLC (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Drawing on the Powers of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing on the Powers of Heaven

Mar 20, 2013 Spencer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"When a person is groping in life, we say "he has not found himself." This statement is not accurate. Self is created, not found."

I read this quote early on in my mission and found it so disconcerting that I thought of it every day. But I did not trust myself enough to go with what my gut was saying, that much of this book is snake oil.

Man this book gave me a stomach ache. I wanted to believe it, because it seemed to promise whatever you wanted, (As long as you deemed it righteous). And everyone
Jun 18, 2008 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina by: Palua
I feel that there is real power in this book. I've started to use the principles and already see a change in my life. I think if I continue to practice these principles, and see more change come about as I incorporate them into my life, I may just have to give the book 5 stars.
Feb 24, 2008 Kortney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the MOST powerful books I ever read! It has taught me so much about God and the capacity that I hold to unlock and bring down the powers of heaven upon my head. It teaches so much about agency, attitude and potential. Grant Von Harrison has not only scripted words to teach the individual but has also included exercises to help the reader internalize all of the principles. I have read this book four times and every time I get more and more out of it. Things I didn't understand or r ...more
Aug 04, 2008 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book in high school when I was 16 or 17, after my parents suggested it. That tells you what kind of teenager I was! I have re-read it several times, and each time I gain valuable insight pertaining to various aspects of the power of prayer, faith and the Lord's willingness to bless us in every facet of our lives. The book primarily examines faith not only as a principle of action but as a principle of power. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in building, strength ...more
Mar 29, 2008 Alexia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. If anyone has read The Secret, and liked it but felt the element of "what about God's plan for us" was missing... this book is key. Very powerful book, very insightful especially for those who desire to learn how to set righteous goals and involve Heavenly Father in their lives. It is only eighty pages, and can be read in a day.
Jun 16, 2008 Tereasa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen and older
There is a lot of profound stuff packed into this tiny little 85 page book. It took me a couple of months to read because I had to absorb everything and then cross reference things with my scriptures. I would recommend this book to anyone who needs a testimony booster in any area.
Warren E.
May 19, 2008 Warren E. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition, is a poorly disguised attempt at blending the Cognitive-Behavioral approach to human action to Spiritual Living. Implied in this book is the bankrupt idea that if you "do" all the "right things," you will get answers to your prayers. The problem is that the concept of "intent" vis-a-vis prayer and spirituality cannot be approached through a blending of social science and religiosity. In fact, one should not pray with the intention of getting answers, or behave with the expectation o ...more
Mar 12, 2010 Meisingerdj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my friends
Grant Von Harrison goes through the insights of what it means to have the blessings of Heaven open up to you as you proceed through faith and dedication the the Lord, I recommend this to Missionaries and others who served a mission and are coming back from.

What I learned from Harrison's book, that in order to be successful in missionary work, one has to convince the Lord what they want and is willing to pay any price in order to succeed.

I already knew this, but from Harrison, I saw it in a new
Derek Bowen
Jan 31, 2015 Derek Bowen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not only does Harrison error in offering an over simplified form of faith, he errors in offering a formula altogether. Formulas turn the gospel into a legalistic to do list that robs religion of its real spiritual power. The gospel of Jesus Christ is much more complicated than some simplistic formula. Often such proposed equations only set people up for failure, thereby leaving the follower worse off than before.
Dec 12, 2008 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I had to read this with a smirk, because Von Harrison is so obviously over-the-top in his interpretation of the gospel as a mechanical process--insert Works A and G into Slot F and receive Blessing M and Gift R. God isn't a slot machine or an ATM, and the process isn't nearly as cut-and-dried as Von Harrison presents it. Still, it is very inspiring to think of what could be possible if we were to put in the effort, and Von Harrison certainly lifted my sights as a young missionary.
Jan 28, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really appreciated this book, and it is one that I will reread every year at least. This is a must read for anyone who wants to better understand the principle of faith and how to apply it in getting answers to our prayers. I feel like this is a spiritual (truer) version of "The Secret" that was so big on the best sellers list. I prefer this book!
Jul 28, 2012 Karin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Grandpa and Grandma Memmott bought this book for my dad for his birthday in 1980 (3 years before I was born). The note in the cover says "Dear Danny, Hope you have a happy day, and that you'll enjoy this book as we have. Love, Dad and Mom." My mom gave it to me to read when I was in high school. Great book, which I need to read again.
Aug 03, 2008 mitzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was in college, I read this for a class. I was amazed at how much it helped me spiritually AND academically.
Nov 23, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good friend of mine recommended this book to me. She had discovered it while serving her mission and had a great deal of success from using some of the tools outlined by the Grant Von Harrison. I thought the book had some amazing insights, particulary about the foundations of faith and why it is necessary for that faith to be tried. The author has taught religion for a number of years at BYU, served as a mission president as well as in many other leadership callings, and is obviously a very sp ...more
James Perkins
Stephen Covey and Spencer W. Kimball had a child, and that child is Grant Von Harrison. Harrison's indebtedness to self-help methodologies leads him to a vulgar conception of faith: by "drawing on the powers of heaven" through the proven principles of prayer, self-discipline, and goal-setting, Harrison promises that even the weakest of the saints can feel the influence and power of the Lord in their own lives. Granted, self-discipline and introspection often do allow people to "live by the spiri ...more
I'm not sure why, but I went into this book thinking it was about prayer. It turns out the book is more about setting goals and having faith to rely on the Lord to help achieve the goals.

This is a short book, but took me a surprising length of time to read because it is information intensive. I had to read slowly and re-read some parts to feel that I got the meaning. This would be a good book to go back and read occasionally as the author recommends. I definitely plan to put his suggestions to t
Feb 18, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I have read this book. Very powerful and simple. This book was written for missionaries serving from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints; however, I believe these same principals apply to any righteous desire we may have. There is a challenge at the end of this book to read it every week for 8 weeks in a row and then every month after that. I am going to try it. There is power in thinking about your goals every waking moment.
Mar 13, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this. It was written for a specific audience, missionaries, so you have to ferret out the information and apply it for yourself, but there are a lot of good thoughts about prayer. This book is full of typos and some flawed grammar (I don't know why). I've always felt like prayer is a tool in my life that I (at times grossly) underestimate in it's effectiveness. Even though it takes a little work, there is a lot of food for thought that I enjoyed.
Jan 07, 2016 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've wanted to read this book ever since I heard about it on my mission. I guess I just kind of forgot about it. I really wish I would've read it back then. There are so many great things in this book. I especially liked the chapter on setting goals as this is the beginning of a new year and a perfect time to set new goals. It also talks a ton about faith. This book should be read at least once or twice a year.
Jun 12, 2009 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It really gave concrete suggestions of how to achieve goals that we can't see the direct path to, and therefore require divine intervention. He points out there are many blessings which we don't receive because we haven't done our part in obtaining them, and then goes on to describe specifically what we need to do to change that and see more divinity at work in our lives. It gives you a lot to think about and definitely a book to read more than once.
May 28, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, religious
I read this back on my mission and the few things I remember 11yrs later is that I like the part about setting goals and also I think this was the book that mentioned setting goals and visualizing your objective was what was meant by "the eye of faith". And that's about all that stuck with me after all these years. Funny how the years filter hundreds of pages of text down to just a few lines of memory...
Dec 15, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are needing a pick-me-up in how to exercise more faith and utilize the power of prayer, this is a great one to read. I was reminded that I need to have more faith in my life and that prayer is a more important tool than we oftentimes realize. This book is only about 80 pages which makes it easy to read in just one sitting if you like. I HIGHLY recommend this little gem--it really changed my outlook on a lot of different aspects of my life.
Sep 15, 2009 Chantelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have purchased read and given away this book many times. This time I purchase the book on CD - the audio was really bad (I think it was recorded from a tape, I could hear the hissing throughout the entire book). I love this book though it is a great book about prayer and using the powers our Heavenly Father has granted us.
James Miller
Aug 09, 2010 James Miller rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to really learn how to pray - and chances are, you do not know.

Harrison, in detail, explains how to set goals, communicate with God, and accomplish those goals. The scriptures tell us how to get to heaven, this book will tell you what to do when you get stuck.
Apr 23, 2012 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This was one of the most insightful reads on the power of covenants. We used this concept a lot in my mission and I can say the principles of drawing on the powers of heaven are real. It shows us how we gain faith strong enough to see miracles occur. Great recommendation for understanding covenants with our God.
Kasi Beorchia
Jan 15, 2010 Kasi Beorchia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy learning about faith, so this little book was an enjoyable read. Though I have studied the topic of faith in the past, this book was yet another reminder that I still have much, much more to learn. I definitely recommend the book and have noticed positive changes as I have tried to employ some of its teachings.
Jun 19, 2008 Danny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-religious
In reading this book I learned alot about the word "Power" and the reality of using faith to draw the power of heaven to earth. I think this will be a life long process, learning the difference between having faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ, and consciously using that faith to bring spiritual power into my life, and to extend that power to others.
Sep 17, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I read this on my mission. Eye opening and very inspiring. I have a notebook full of notes on this book. It is amazing how easy it can be to get blessings, if we do things the right way. This book helped me think about God and heaven in a whole new light.

This is a book that I need to read more often and one I would definately recommend.
Sep 21, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion-general
This book talks a lot about Faith. It explains how to achieve the goals you have set, having faith that you can achieve them. You must first do everything you can do to reach your goal, then rely on God to take care of the rest. It has tons of inspiring stories that really show how to put into practice the faith in you life.
Sep 02, 2008 Gregory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book while on my mission. I had been in the mission field for about a year when I started reading it.
I believe it was sent to me as a gift.
It completely and totaly changed the way I approached missionary work.
This was another "Matrix" experience in my life...
Don't expect many people to relate to you on issues of faith after you read this book.
Needs to be read again and again and . . . 1 15 Jul 07, 2008 11:08PM
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Lighten Up
  • Lectures on Faith
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • House of Glory: Finding Personal Meaning in the Temple
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • Mothers of the Prophets

“You have the choice of deliberately directing your thinking, or allowing other forces to dictate your desires and attitudes.” 8 likes
“Pure motives are prerequisite to the ability to call down the powers of heaven. The Lord will not sustain your efforts to achieve, excel or receive special blessings if your desires are vain.” 2 likes