Start by marking “Surviving Sharks and Other Dangerous Creatures” as Want to Read:
Surviving Sharks and Other Dangerous Creatures

Surviving Sharks and Other Dangerous Creatures (Ten True Tales)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
On rare occasions, wild animals like cougars, grizzly bears and alligators can pose a deadly threat to humans. Sometimes with little or no warning, wild animals attack. Few will pick a fight with humans, but most will defend themselves if they are cornered or surprised or defending their young.

In this book you will read about the incredible life-and-death ordeals of young
Published January 1st 2006 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Surviving Sharks and Other Dangerous Creatures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surviving Sharks and Other Dangerous Creatures

Debbie
May 19, 2014 Debbie rated it liked it
I know that Alan Zullo rolls out these collections of creative nonfiction short stories every few years for Scholastic, and my struggling readers love them. I don't gravitate in that direction very often, though, so I thought I'd give this one a chance.

Zullo starts with a forward about how these stories are true, fact-wise, but he made up the dialogue and inner monologues to make the stories more interesting. Then he shares statistics about how often these kinds of wild animal attacks happen - f
Matthew Marc
Nov 16, 2015 Matthew Marc rated it it was amazing
"Surviving Sharks and Other Dangerous Creatures" by Allan Zullo was a book full of thrilling stories. There are shark attacks, bear attacks, and evan an alligator attack. All of the stories are exotic and will keep you on the edge of your heels. Their all multiple stories of kids surviving deadly animal attacks. You won't want to skip this book when your reading a non-fiction book.

Danny Mason was a trouble maker. He always skipped school and got terrible grades. Thats how he ended up in this wi
Kyle
Jul 20, 2011 Kyle rated it it was amazing
I liked tis book because it was pushing you to read on. When you finished a chapter you would read another and another! There are lots of scary but interesting stories of kids our age getting attacked by different animals like cougars, moose, bears, wolves, crocodiles, so on. I would recommend this book only if you want to get scared of animals. I think you should.
Chase Furtado
Sep 20, 2015 Chase Furtado rated it it was amazing
This book was about not only how to protect yourself from these dangerous animals, but how to prevent yourself from running into these animals. The first story is about this boy and his friend wants him to go on a fishing trip with him and his dad. After hearing that he was thinking about it he had massive headaches and stomach pains that he could not control. He was getting bad vibes about the whole thing, but he didnt want his friend to be mad at him so he decided he will go. That night he was ...more
Jack Cheatle
Nov 30, 2015 Jack Cheatle rated it it was amazing
"Surviving Sharks and other Dangerous Animals" by Alan Zulio was a very good book. A boy is bit by a shark, girls are trampled by elephants, people get strangled by pet pythons. Also wolves and moose attack pets. In another one of the stories a cougar stalks a person also a bear can mistake you for food.

This book was very good in my opinion. It shared various stories of people being attacked by wild animals. I found it very interesting and I always wanted to keep reading on.

I recommend this b
Seton Valcik
Dec 14, 2015 Seton Valcik rated it really liked it
The book I read was surviving sharks and other dangerous animals by Allan Zullo. This book was about 10 animal attacks. A couple of the attacks were a shark attack, a bear attack, Etc.. Most of the attacks happened as human causes.

I like to this book. I like this book because if I was in this situation with wild animals attacking me I could remember what these stories told me about surviving these animals.

I would recommend this book to whoever wants to learn more about wild attacks. Just in cas
Heather Burdette Quinn
The cover art is misleading - the book contains only one shark attack story; the other nine tales are all about the "other dangerous creatures," which range from gators to rhesus monkeys. Allan Zullo's nonfiction books for Scholastic are high interest and easy to read; perfect for upper elementary and middle school classroom libraries.
Ms. Mielke's Class
Apr 28, 2015 Ms. Mielke's Class rated it liked it
Well, I wasn't that big of a fan of this book. The stories sounded fake, also I was forced to read it or get a bad grade. Living near and around the wild midwest the dangers of getting attacked by a shark is great! The moose and cougars run wild. I had a hard time relating to this book. DV
Sheila Myers
Feb 21, 2016 Sheila Myers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wildlife
Terrifying yet thrilling stories about kids who survived being attacked by wild animals. Not only can readers learn about the kids and what they dealt with, they can also learn about how to avoid these encounters or respond to them if they ever find themselves facing similar situations.
Mari Anne
Dec 12, 2015 Mari Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-ya
A good MG non-fiction selection from the book fair. This one might be a bit graphic for younger or more sensitive readers, but those that are thrill seekers or danger junkies will eat this up. Fascinating stories with great real life tips. Probably best for grades 4 and up.
Hayden Round
Apr 25, 2016 Hayden Round rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I got this book because i like to fish and i want to catch a shark. If the shark tries to get me hopfully this book gives me some tips how to survive. AFTER:This book gave me some tips on how to survive so Im hoping to catch a shark now.
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
Mar 15, 2016 Mz. Diana Gagliardi rated it liked it
Nice stories, well told, explaining how rare these attacks are and giving facts and techniques to deal with them.
Zach Costello
Jan 08, 2013 Zach Costello rated it really liked it
This book is about young teens and children who have been attacked by various animals and have lived to tell the tale. In one story of this book a boy lived with his father in alaska in a logging camp. One day he is attacked by a wolf but is saved. He got many injuries from the attack. There are other stories in this book when young people who get attacked by animals but live. This is a book for anyonekids and adults who likes to read true stories.
Jaguar
Jan 19, 2015 Jaguar rated it really liked it
The stories in this book are based off of true survival stories of kids and teens who survived attacks from dangerous wild animals. My favorite story was the last one titled: The Stalker. It's a story about a cougar attack. Recommended.
Dayna Smith
Feb 08, 2014 Dayna Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-nonfiction
This is a short collection of true stories about people who have survived attacks by dangerous animals. A great way to introduce reluctant readers to nonfiction. The tales are not graphic, but they are entertaining.
Zackery
Dec 10, 2013 Zackery rated it it was ok
I thought this book was ok. I also thought it was cool to see how they managed to survive and succeed in life after their attack.
Debbie
Apr 20, 2008 Debbie rated it it was ok
A collection of true stories of kids who survived a variety of attacks by wild animals.
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Nagol
Nagol rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Mrslabraden
Mrslabraden marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Olivia
Olivia added it
Feb 16, 2016
Hailey Bedford
Hailey Bedford marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Sandra
Sandra added it
Jan 14, 2016
Sammy Maya
Sammy Maya rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Allan Zullo is an American non-fiction writer. He is the author or co-author of more than eighty paperbacks for adults and children.

A native of Rockford, Illinois, Zullo graduated from Northern Illinois University in 1969 with a degree in journalism. His books include The Baseball Hall of Shame and Baseball Confidential (both co-written with Bruce Nash), A Boomer's Guide to Grandparenting (co-writ
More about Allan Zullo...

Ten True Tales (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • World War I Heroes
  • Titanic Young Survivors (Ten True Tales)
  • Heroes of 9/11 (Ten True Tales)
  • Battle Heroes: Voices from Afghanistan (Ten True Tales)
  • War Heroes: Voices from Iraq (Ten True Tales)
  • Teens at War (Ten True Tales)
  • Crime Scene Investigators (Ten True Tales)
  • World War II Heroes
  • Kid Pirates: Their Battles, Shipwrecks & Narrow Escapes (Ten True Tales)
  • The Rescuers: Kids Who Risked Everything to Save Others