Start by marking “The Truth (Discworld, #25)” as Want to Read:
The Truth (Discworld, #25)

The Truth (Discworld #25)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  34,910 ratings  ·  744 reviews
William just wants to get at the truth. Unfortunately, everyone else wants to get at William. And it’s only the third edition. William de Worde is the accidental editor of the Discworld’s first newspaper. Now he must cope with the traditional perils of a journalist’s life – people who want him dead, a recovering vampire with a suicidal fascination for flash photography, so ...more
Published November 7th 2001 by Corgi (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth

I think I've only read this Pratchett novel once before, and on the re-read, I enjoyed it more than I expected to.

Don't get me wrong. The worst Terry Pratchett novel is still wonderfully enjoyable. And while I don't think this one is *the* best, it's *among* the best. Definitely on his A list.

As a bonus, I think this book would be more accessible to new readers, as most of the main characters are new, and the older characters are mostly there for support.

As I re-read all the Discworld novels,
"The truth shall make ye free fret"

Despite their fear of that newfangled movable type, Ankh-Morpork has FINALLY gotten a newspaper!

Young William de Worde is quite surprised when his page full of "things written down" is suddenly incredibly popular with the citizenry, and publishing a newspaper becomes a rather terrifying, learn-as-you-go experience. Should he listen to the advice of others or go with his gut?

"Be careful. People like to be told what they already know. Remember that. They get u
Deborah Markus
I have a favorable bias toward the story of someone stumbling into the business of printed news. This story isn't exactly analogous to my own. I decided to start a magazine when the concept of magazines already existed. William de Worde managed to invent the newspaper without even trying. Terry Pratchett does a wonderful job of showing the form evolve in fast-motion.

He also gives ample stage time here to two of my favorite Discworld characters: Lord Vetinari and Commander Vimes. And of course,
Prvobitno sam dala knjizi 3 zvezdice, jer jednostavno nije na humorističkom nivou starijih Pračetovih knjiga. Pogrešila sam, jer Pračet, kao i svaki pisac, ima pravo da evoluira; u ovom slučaju krećemo se od specifičnog teripračetovskog humora ka satiri. Ka kritikama modernog društva, sa osvrtima na politička, sociološka i ina događanja.

Nakon što sam malko porazmislila, shvatila sam da mi se zapravo najviše dopalo to što je u ovoj knjizi Pračet uporedio žutu štampu sa JMPDŽ Diblerovim kobasicama
A lot of your enjoyment of Terry Pratchett's DiscWorld series comes down to your awareness of the object of Pratchett's satire. In the case of "The Truth," it's the world of newspapers and journalism in general. Having a background in this, I found a lot of Pratchett's zingers and satire to be dead-on accurate in their humor and observation.

What I didn't find quite as spot-on was some of the twists and turns of the novel. For one thing, the identity of who is behind the elaborate conspiracy is s
I read this about 15 years ago and quite enjoyed the satire and parody about "the truth" that's printed in newspapers (if it's published, it's ink-validated). It's about time for a re-read. Or maybe I'll buy the digital audiobook and listen to it, if the sound quality is good. This book comes after The Fifth Elephant in sequence, but could be read as a stand-alone.

This book includes some of my favorite characters — "people" I first met in Guards! Guards! —Lord Vetinari, Samuel Vimes, and several
An ultimately slight tale with a degree of laxness in the telling, but brought to life by passion and specificity - this is a novel about journalism, and clearly draws on Pratchett's experience in the field, both in its details and in its complex and unresolved ethical-political debates. The book also benefits from some of Pratchett's best villains, and is an enjoyable and frequently laugh-out-loud-funny read throughout.

Not one of my favourites, and the jaded reader may identify the flaws that w
To honor Terry Pratchett's life, I decided to read two Discworld books in April. The first, Witches Abroad, was decent enough. The Truth was even better, although it also didn't achieve genuine greatness.

It's yet another Discworld entry centered around the development of a new industry. In this case, a printing press that allows a daily newspaper, the Ankh-Morpork Times, to thrive under the stewardship of our main protagonist, William de Worde. Of course, William encounters obstacles, and there
Nov 10, 2014 TL rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to TL by: Deborah Markus
Shelves: favorites
I went into this excited but a little nervous too... most satires either don't look interesting to me or I don't like it when alot of others love it. My sense of humor is a bit different sometimes haha.

Well, *points at my rating* happy to see this isn't the case :). Even though I didn't start at the beginning of Discworld, I wasn't confused and fell in love right away. A vibrant world that doesn't take itself seriously and plenty of laughs to go with the peril/drama when it happened.

Two of the v
Reviewing Pratchett is always hard, I absolutely adore most of his books, and his literary cannon is huge. I have been reading all of the Discworld books in chronological order and have finally arrived at “The Truth,” the twenty-fifth book in the series. “The Truth” introduces the character of William de Worde, a young son of a noble who chooses not to follow in his father’s footsteps, rather attempting to make his own way in the world. Late one night the local rumor that Dwarves have found a wa ...more
If you print it people will believe it. Terry Pratchett has fun with media by giving Ankh-Morpork it's first newspaper. If it's in the paper it must be true, otherwise 'they' wouldn't print it, would they? Just who are "they" and what drives them? The power of the press grows as the city Patrician (ruler) is accused of attacking and bludgeoning his assistant.

If you're still a reader of newspapers in the age of internet there's nothing more telling about the power of the press then the automotive
April 3 2004
Jan 1 2012

Having read it twice, I feel like I should remember it better.

December 16, 2014

The Industrial Revolution series-within-a-series are all devoted to bringing the Discworld out of medieval European fantasy and into the modern world. This is the development of the printing press and newspapers. It is a romp on the theme of great newspaper romantic comedies, with the clever aristocratic publisher solving a mystery, dealing with politics, and getting the girl despite a certain
Mary Catelli
In which dwarfs find a way to turn lead into gold. . . .

You create a printing press.

When they accidentally collide with William de Worde and break the engraving plate he used to send copies of his news to various foreign powers, they set it and produce more letters. And one things leads to another, with "Ankh-Morpork tImes" being a typo for "Items." And they start to sell the paper.

This involves the granddaughter of the original engraver getting hired by William, a dog, the other lodgers at Will
Complete Discworld Reread

“An’ then…then I’m gonna get medieval on his arse.”

There were more pressing problems but this one intrigued Mr. Pin.

“How, exactly?” he said.

“I thought maybe a maypole,” said Mr. Tulip reflectively. “An’ then a display of country dancing, land tillage under the three-field system, several plagues, and if my –ing hand ain’t too tired the invention of the –ing horse collar”

You can always tell when my favorite author is on his ‘A’ Game and when he is off. When the plot
I wish I knew what gets Sir Terry started on particular themes! Over the years Discworld has given opportunity to closely examine all sorts of themes important to the modern world:- In no particular order, Equal Rites examined women's rights, Maskerade examined the world of the performing arts, Pyramids totally parodied the traditional fantasy stereotype assassin, Moving Pictures took the p*** out of Hollywood until there was no joke left uncracked, Soul Music made an affectionate mockery of a c ...more
Vishnu Vardhan
Ah, Terry. Ah, Discworld. Ah, British writers of humour. Along with P.G.Wodehouse and Tom Sharpe, I consider Pratchett a key figure in the genre of Brit. comedy writings produced by that generation of writers, the ranks of whom Douglas Adams would later join.

The fun these people have with the language itself, the grammar, the lexicon, the structure of sentences and conversation is possibly the most riveting and interesting and intriguing and rip-roaringly hilarious one that you'd hope to come ac
Xime García
Ayer me compré algo de Terry Pratchett porque me parecía que debía darle una chance. Ahora bien, no tengo idea del orden de la saga, y no es que en Rosario hay Pratchett como para hacer dulce, así que me quedé con lo primero que encontré.

Resulta que es el número 25 de la saga.

Igual lo pienso leer aunque no entienda ni mu.
Nigel Temple
I admit it! I am a Terry Pratchett fan. I have bought all of his books. They make me laugh out loud and I find myself re-reading them. What more can I say? =)
Jude Morrissey
I loved this book! Well, I love all the Discworld novels. To be honest, I just love Terry Pratchett's work entirely. He is a consistently awesome writer; I've never met a book he's written that I didn't at least like a heck of a whole lot - and he writes a ton.

But this one, in particular, hit me over the head with awesome.

I have always been shocked and annoyed by people who are more interested in the gender of a celebrity's often imaginary baby, or the latest alien abduction, than in legislati
Subhalakshmi Roy
Terry Pratchett takes us through the murky politics of Ankh-Morpork with his particular brand of humor and witticism. Trolls, vampires, dwarfs, humans, imps, golems, gargoyles, werewolves come together in a story about politics, justice, society and the truth. The old Ankh-Morporkian favorites are back, Mister Vimes, Lord Vetinari, Captain Carrot, Corporal Nobbs...along with some new endearing characters...most notably Otto the recovering vampire, a photographer by trade, who vapourises every ti ...more
Another brilliant, entertaining, and imaginative read! Just what I've come to expect and appreciate from Terry Pratchett. Sometimes, though, I'd trade some of the humor for a bit more back story.
I believe this has been one of the most incisive Terry Pratchett books to date for me. Great social commentary, great echoes of our own world translated into Ankh Morpork and, now, more than ever, Terry Pratchett creating a loudspeaker for himself in the character of William de Worde.

I can't help but notice that most of Terry Pratchett's books from this period of his writing are quite excellent and it's been a while since I ran into a stinker. Not much to say that I haven't said in other review
I found this book slow at times, but Prachett's humor always wins in the end. In this farce, he pokes fun at the press and the legal business. William De Worde, a son of wealth, parts ways with his father and starts a newsletter, which grows into a daily paper. Striving to provide "The Truth", he finds himself caught up in findout out that really happened to the Patrician, who is being framed for theft and assault, in order to find a new ruler for Ankh-Morpork. Working in parallel and sometimes ...more
Michael Clemens
At a certain point in The Truth, the characters go subterranean, as we're reminded (again) that owing to the general muck nature of the River Ankh, the entire city of Ankh-Morpork is literally built upon the bones of its predecessors. A whole underground city exists, propping up the current incarnation, which may eventually get subsumed in the muck and mire of the oozing, sucking river and form the bones of a city built anew.

This book is that image -- built almost entirely upon the books before,
John Lucy
I like the vast majority of Terry Pratchett's work, especially his Discworld novels, of which this is one. In his Discworld novels, Pratchett often takes a fantastical and satirical look at real-world topics: in this case, journalism.

Sometimes, though, it seems to me that Pratchett works too hard to address the topic and loses some of the normal punch to his humorous wit and winding plots. I think that this novel falls into that category. Much of the quality of the book relies on the commentary
I've been rereading Terry Pratchett lately and attempting to collect them all in printed format (I've listened to the majority of them). Rereading these early books has been a blast. The Truth, where we witness the beginning of The Ankh Morpork Times and meet William de Worde. These early books set in Ankh Morphork are where Pratchett's satire really shine. It is an absolute pleasure to read them-- and in The Turth we are introduced to so many street and character names that positively sing with ...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in November 2001.

In about twenty years, Terry Pratchett has produced twenty five Discworld novels, of a fluctuating standard; The Truth, which is the twenty fifth, is one of the best of them. Several others share the plot device where an idea from our world leaks through to the Discworld to cause havoc - Hollywood in Moving Pictures, rock'n'roll in Soul Music, and now newspaper journalism in The Truth. It succeeds better than the earlier novels in this vein,
I have one problem with Pratchett's stand alone discworld novels: the fact that they are stand alone. In a few hundred pages Pratchett is able to make his readers become attached to and invested in the characters...and then we never see them again. I really enjoyed William and his antics, and above all his threatening manner of taking down notes. This book tackled the press and all the nonsense that can be spewed in response to the news.
An important thing to note about this book is that it is tr
"If it was in the paper, it was news. If it was news it went in the paper, and if it was in the paper it was news. And it was the truth." (p. 134).
When Terry Pratchett is at his best, he takes something from the real world and puts it in the Discworld universe and watches what happens. In this book, it's journalism, free press and the news that are the subject of his scrutiny - and also how people in charge cope with these. This is a very succesful installment in the Discworld series since the
Apr 22, 2015 Tracey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the nature of news, political intrigue and British humour
Shelves: re-read, owned-etext
Previously read Oct 2004

I re-read through The Truth this cold, rainy afternoon. perhaps as a response to the election media blitz.

William de Worde, a second son of a noble family, has struck out to find his own fortune. He makes money as a scribe of sorts, composing letters for the illiterate of Ankh-Morpork and writing up newsworthy items to be sent to the rulers of nearby countries. His chance meeting with a group of dwarves with a printing press and movable type propels him into the news busi
2015 Reading Chal...: The Truth by Terry Pratchett 2 24 Dec 31, 2014 02:44PM
Should I read the rest of Discworld first? 19 305 Sep 29, 2013 01:44PM
  • East of Ealing
  • The Portable Door (J. W. Wells & Co., #1)
  • After the King: Stories in Honor of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Too Many Curses
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)

“There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass! Who's been pinching my beer?
And at the other end of the bar the world is full of the other type of person, who has a broken glass, or a glass that has been carelessly knocked over (usually by one of the people calling for a larger glass) or who had no glass at all, because he was at the back of the crowd and had failed to catch the barman's eye. ”
“Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove.” 546 likes