Es muß nicht immer Kaviar sein

Es muß nicht immer Kaviar sein

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Driven from his cherished London home by circumstances beyond his control, Thomas Lieven -- ladies man, pacifist and gourmand -- reluctantly finds himself forced to work as a secret agent for no less than four countries on various fronts of wartime Europe: England, France, Germany and the United States, before, during and after WWII.

The book includes the recipes of the gou...more
Published (first published 1960)

Mei
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book!!!

I laughed like crazy, I almost cryed, I sighed, I chewed my nails!

It's a roller-caoster adventure! It's brillantly complicated and at the same time easy to read and follow.

It's so an incredible story that it could just be true!

It's a fantastic book.

It's one of those that you cherish forever!

I think I read it at least 10 times and enojoyed it every single one!

So, believe me: READ IT!!! You'll LOVE it!!!
Norm DePlume
This is the story of Thomas Levin, ladies man, pacifist, gourmand and reluctant secret agent. Through a series of circumstances, Thomas is driven out of his beloved London and forced to work as a spy for no less than 4 different countries - England, France, Germany and the U.S., before, during and after WWII. He's clever, this Thomas Levin, and manages for the most part to outwit these agencies, all of whom need him to do their bidding, and some of whom want him dead. Clever as he is however, hi...more
Sonja
Now, this book is not well know among the English speaking population, but trust me, it is a must read!

It's combined of 2 books, and, well, numerous cooking recipes.

It tells a story about a cunning, inteligent, handsome man who durring the II WW worked as a spy for: French Inteligence, CIA, MI6, KGB, Nazis, am I forgeting anyone here? Interesting, eh? Well, the thing is, he worked for all of them- in the same time. Yes.

And the recipes really work!

Read it, you'll laugh-cry-eat-love it!
Željka
Ovu knjigu sam prvi put pročitala davno,negdje na početku srednje škole, i ostala mi je u pamćenju kao jedna od najzabavnijih na koje sam ikad naišla. Nedavno sam ju ponovno pročitala, oduševljenje mi je nešto splasnulo, ali ipak se ne može umanjiti originalnost djela. Preporučujem svima koje zanimaju špijunski romani i dobra hrana-može se naučiti svašta:)
Margarita
Spy novel with recipes - what could be better??!!
Sebastjan
V napeti vohunski kriminalki avstrijskega novinarja in prevajalca, polni nenadnih zapletov in preobratov, je opisano življenje glavnega junaka Thomasa Lievna, pacifista, ljubitelja lepih žensk, gurmana in ljubitelja kulinarike, nekdanjega uspešnega zasebnega bankirja in neprostovoljnega tajnega agenta.
Zaradi spleta nenavadnih okoliščin mora zapustiti London in delati kot tajni agent v kar štirih različnih državah, Veliki Britaniji, Franciji, Nemčiji in v ZDA, v času pred, med in po drugi svetov...more
Brian
This book is the best book....it combines aspects of my favorite book The Count of Monte Cristo....and the coolest non-spy spy character Ever.
I have read hundreds of espionage books and this is top 3. The story is an ever changing saga of adventures and misadventures that run the gambit of emotions from
Comedy, hysteria, passion, tragedy, intrigue, clever wits, high class sophistication to the European underbelly across two dozen European cities . Thomas Levien, is a suave pacifist banker thrown...more
Carolin
Ein deutscher James Bond - damit lässt sich Thomas Lieven alias Jean Leblanc alias Peter Scheuner alias William S. Murphy alias ... vielleicht noch am ehesten beschreiben, obwohl ihn natürlich auch einige Züge und Eigenheiten von diesem unterscheiden: Lieven trinkt lieber Whisky als Martini, Lieven kämpft lieber mit Klugheit und List als mit Pistole und actionreichen Explosionen und Lieven kocht! In puncto Agententätigkeit (auch wenn Lieven da um einiges vielseitiger ist), ebenso bei Frauenabent...more
Paul Bartusiak
The Monte-Cristo Cover-Up (originally titled It Can’t Always Be Caviar and originally published in German) is no longer in print, and I became aware of it through a friend who purchased a copy for me as a surprise gift. This is a novel that falls in the espionage genre, but it’s not your ordinary spy novel. The tone of it can be gleaned by a caption provided below the title on an inside page of the book: “The fabulously daring adventures and exquisite cooking recipes of the involuntary secret ag...more
A.
Dec 09, 2008 A. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: library
Es begann mit fadem Dressing -
Thomas Lieven, Geheimagent wider Willen, hat zwei Schwächen: die Frauen und das Kochen. Seine tolldreisten Abenteuer, garniert mit außergewöhnlichen Kochrezepten, führen ihn durch das Europa des Kalten Krieges, einer Zeit des offenen Hasses und der dezenten Verlogenheit. Trotzdem geht Lieven unbeirrt seinen Weg, denn letztlich "können wir Deutschen ein Wirtschaftswunder machen, aber keinen Salat."

Die tolldreisten Abenteuer und auserlesenen Kochrezepte des Geheimag...more
Listra
I like Thomas Lieven's no sense of patriotism. He sees the world as one world, not as pieces of lands called nations. It's not that he hates all, but on the contrary, he loves all. He doesn't want his conduct to harm anyone. And that's, I think, so sweet.

In the midst of wars and patriotism, he stays firm to what he believes in. As he said, if people had thought more, all the bad things in WWII wouldn't have happened. He wants people to live in harmony, regardless the nationality.

And he's a goo...more
Sunny
Jun 30, 2014 Sunny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sunny by: knjigoholicarka
Sega bolan, zajebancija! Odlicna knjiga!!! Niki care hvala! :*
Misha
The impression is that this book is written for teenagers dreaming of becoming superheroes. The main character is too lucky, too smart and his reasoning is as primitive as a one belonging to a 15-years old idealist. How the hell did this book become a best-seller in the 60-s?

I stopped reading after 150 pages. It's just not worth the effort.
Nat Shirman
Ich habe das Buch als Teenager regelrecht verschlungen, so spannend fand ich es. Meine Tante, bei der ich damals Englisch lernte, hatte jedesmal einen Kampf, mich zu den festgelegten Stunden dazu zu bringen, das Buch auf die Seite zu legen und Englischvokabeln zu büffeln. So vergebe ich - aus der Erinnerung - vier Sterne.
Wirbowsky
Une très bonne histoire d'espionage se déroulant entre 1939 et 1957.
Le personnage principal est très attachant et intéressant. L'écriture est très bonne.

On est assez loin de James Bond et plus proche d'Arsène Lupin.

Je recommande vivement ce livre.
Derya
The perfect novel I have ever read, and i recommend everyone to have a copy on their bookshelves, if not for novel then for the recipes inside. a book that will make you surprised, laugh, cry, and get angry sometimes, this book is a musst read one :)
Arturo
Que libro mas genial! No hay manera de describirlo mas que con esta pregunta: ¿Cuantos libros conocen que mezclen aventuras estilo James Bond, recetas de cocina, historia intrincada y personajes geniales? He ahi su respuesta a porque deben leer este libro.
Antoine
I re-read this book many years after reading it for the first time, and it was a pleasure to appreciate it as much as before ! It's smart, witty and amazing to think that such events really took place...
Warmly recommended to any reader above 15 or so.
Anna Moon
Tu knihu jsem četla už dávno, jako všechny knihy od tohoto spisovatele se mi moc líbila. Asi si jí opět vypůjčím v knihovně, i když nemám ve zvyku číst nějakou, byť krásnou knihu dvakrát, ale asi to udělám. Moc na mě zapůsobila.
Tish
A great spy story with the lead spy also being a gourmand. Every chapter begins with a menu (complete with recipes) and each recipe is vital to the solving of the case. Delightful!
Pao Barragan
Un libro que te lleva por escenas y momentos super interesantes y misteriosos. Thomas Lieven es uno de esos personajes que se quedan en tu memoria a través de los años.
Sofia
Wonderful WWII true spy story, told with plenty of humour.
One of my first serious reads. I haven't re-read it in a while but still would recommend it.
Chemo
I remembered it to be an entertaining book. Now that I tried to read it after cca 15-20 years, it was just boring
Uwe
Classic Simmel. Good story,international intrigue. Reminds me of a James Bond movie on paper.
Ferda Ak
Very nice smooth reading.. great recipies too if you like cooking
Nina
James Bond wannabe. Pripovedovalec ima zelo zanimiv odnos do bralca.
Murat Akçiçek
Magnificant! So funny so immotional.
Nejra
If you like to read&cook - a must have
Eran Rivlis
  • Schweigeminute
  • Libertinagem / Estrela da Manhã
  • Felidae (Felidae, #1)
  • Die Leber wächst mit ihren Aufgaben
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • Fairy Tales Of Wilhelm Hauff
  • Gordon
  • Herzsprung
  • Ganz unten: Mit einer Dokumentation der Folgen
  • Mission London
  • A Vida Como Ela É...
  • The Legend of the Glorious Adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the Land of Flanders & Elsewhere
  • And Where Were You, Adam?
Johannes Mario Simmel was an Austrian writer.

He was born in Vienna and grew up in Austria and England. He was trained as a chemical engineer and worked in research from 1943 to the end of World War II. After the end of the war, he worked as a translator for the American military government and published reviews and stories in the Vienna Welt am Abend. Starting in 1950, he worked as a reporter for...more
More about Johannes Mario Simmel...
Liebe ist nur ein Wort Doch mit den Clowns kamen die Tränen Alle Menschen werden Brüder. Niemand ist eine Insel. Und Jimmy ging zum Regenbogen