Start by marking “The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)

The Raven Prince (Princes #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  9,849 ratings  ·  622 reviews
There comes a time in a lady's life...

Widowed Anna Wren is having a wretched day. After an arrogant male on horseback nearly squashes her, she arrives home to learn that she is in dire financial straits.

When she must do the unthinkable...

The Earl of Swartingham is in a quandary. Having frightened off two secretaries, Edward de Raaf needs someone who can withstand his bad t
Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published November 1st 2006 by Warner Forever (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Raven Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Raven Prince

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
The Raven Prince was a sweet, sensual, delectable book that I've had sitting on my tbr pile for years now! In a way, I don't regret that, because I read it at the right time. This lovely story took what could have been dark and melancholy subject matter, and made something upbeat and whimsical, yet no less moving.

Anna and Edward are characters that get shoved into closets and overlooked when it comes to romance novels. They are both over thirty. Neither is drop-dead-gorgeous. Neither are shinin
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

The Raven Prince is the first book in the Prince’s Trilogy and my first read by author Elizabeth Hoyt, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised! I enjoyed the uniqueness of this story in that neither of the characters could be considered even remotely conventional, and this in a time when being anything less was nigh unto blasphemous! Also, there was a Beauty and the Beast fairytalesque feel to it that was done so well one could easily believe in this story and its wonderful characters.

A widow
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

Edward said to Anna:
"I am in you, and you are holding me. There is no going back from this moment."

4.5 stars.

LITTLE BATTLEFORD, ENGLAND, MARCH 1760
I don't want to give away too much and of course I don't want to spoil your reading experience. That's why my synopsis will be super short. Suffice to say that Edward de Raaf, the fifth Earl of Swartingham, meets Anna Wren while falling off his gelding--oh, please excuse me, Edward--you did not fall off, you were unseated. *cheek
Lisa Kay
description
★★★★★ Man-oh-man-oh-man-man! Elizabeth Hoyt knows how to tell a story! I loved every enchanting word of this one. In a genre chocked with redundancy, Ms. Hoyt has written a RomanceLandia fairy tale and distinguished it with strong, compelling characters; the fascinating main protagonists, a devoted hound, an insightful mother-in-law, the average villagers, the lowest servants, the devoted friends, and last, but not least, the disgust-worthy villains – they all leap off the page. She has peppered
Juliana
Absolutely fabulous - probably one of my all-time favorite romances (5 stars)
I cannot believe that I have spent so long avoiding Elizabeth Hoyt! I tested whether I had been right in thinking she wasn't the romance author for me when I read Wicked Intentions a week and a half ago ... and discovered that I had been so, so wrong! From reviews and summaries, I had always thought that her books were a little too wild while being short on actual story/substance, but I could not have been more wrong a
Julianna
Oct 06, 2009 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Sensuous Historical Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" The Raven Prince was an enjoyable read which I thought had some rather unusual elements. As I read the first chapter or so of the book, I was reminded of one of my all-time favorite romances, Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels. While The Raven Prince does bear some resemblance to Lord of Scoundrels, it is still very much it's own distinctive story. Much like their counterparts in Lord of Scoundrels, Edward can be rather temperamental and boorish, while Anna is
Tammy Walton Grant

One of the problems with reading a very popular romance novel after everyone on the planet has already read it, is trying to find something to say about why you loved it that isn't the same as everyone else. Everyone has already talked about story, the depth, the meaning, the writing, the Beauty and the Beast angle, the main characters, the steamy scenes - what's left?

I loved this everything about this book. It's going on my favourites shelf - where I keep the books that I re-read and l
Susanne

Historical Romance - 3.5 stars!
With his hands at the back of his head, squeezing water from his hair, his muscles stood out in sharp relief. The sun glinted off his flexed arms and chest, and his black underarm hair curled damply. Rivulets of grimy water, mixed with blood from ewe, ran down his chest and arms. His low-slung breeches clung to his hips and thighs, delineating the bulge of his manhood. He looked quite pagan.
I so wanted to love this book. I really did. But for some unknown reason
Erika
Mar 31, 2012 Erika rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erika by: Rizka & Rane : Thanks girls! *hugs*

4 overheated kitties

Pheewww... what a mind-blowing read. It was...

Looks like I can't write a review. Give it a try if you're in the mood of HR with high level of explicitness without loosing the beauty of the romance itself.

iPhone Fail Pictures, Images and Photos

If I may give an advice - based on my own experience - reading it in public place is not a wise thing to do.
Lelyana Taufik
Memang sulit jadi janda, apalagi di jaman abad ke 18 yang menganggap janda gak pantes menikah lagi, dan cuma cocok jadi courtesan...
Bertemu dengan si Earl misterius, Edward de Raaf., Earl of Swatingham yang pemarah di tengah jalan, dan hampir tertabrak kudanya....Anna Wren tidak tahu jika nasibnya akan berubah hari itu juga ...
Kehabisan uang warisan dari suaminya , Anna mencari pekerjaan menjadi governes dan malah mendapatkan tawaran jadi sekretaris sang Earl yg berwajak penuh scar bekas chiken
Ian
Jul 02, 2013 Ian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like their men in stockings, and women in chemises.
Recommended to Ian by: Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Edward de Raaf, the Earl of Swartingham has a problem. After yet another secretary has fled from his service he desperately needs a replacement. But finding someone willing to put up with his abrasiveness and temper is proving difficult.

Impoverished widow Anna Wren desperately needs a job to keep the wolf from the door. She is even willing to put up with the Earl to earn some much needed money and manages to con her way into the job.

With small-pox scars from childhood, most women find Edward r
Beanbag Love
This was a really enjoyable read. There were a few moments where I thought the heroine might be diving into TSTL territory, and she kind of did, but it still worked. I have to admit to saying out loud "what in the world are you thinking?!" at least once, though. LOL.

One thing I'm left wondering, though, is how the ton would react to all these shenanigans. But we're also left to see these two as country people at heart and it's doubtful they'll be spending much time in London anyway. Still, their
valee
Sigh*** Dreamy eyes,LOL.

I had such a great time reading this book. I didn't want it to end, not at all. This book just had the perfect mixture of sweetness and romance, an excelling book if you're looking for a charming and delightful romance.

Books like this one are just my type of reads, you know? Those which have main characters you really end up feeling like you got to know and adore. For me to be fond of a character I need to feel like I got to know him/her and for that to happen they need t
MelissaB
Jul 28, 2008 MelissaB rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical romance fans who like hotter love scenes
I enjoyed this historical romance set near the Regency period (it may be Georgian). The story was a bit atypical in that the plot took place in a country village and manor instead of London. The heroine, Anna, is a widow who becomes the secretary of Edward, the lord of the local manor. Edward has pox scars over his face and body from a smallpox outbreak that killed his entire family. He is a very gruff and forbidding man who has a bad temper.

They fall for each other but Edward is engaged to a yo
Jen
Oh, how she wanted this man! She wanted to hold him like this tomorrow and fifty years hence. She wanted to be by his side every morning when he woke, she wanted his to be the last voice she heard before she fell asleep at night.

I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said in the hundreds of fabulous reviews for this book, but I will say Edward was HOT HOT HOT! Smallpox scars and all. Anna's a extremely lucky lady, indeed. A very well written book and I loved how the Raven Prin
Blacky *Romance Addict*
4,5 stars :)

Well I found a new historical writer for me <3 This book kinda reminds me of Lord of Scoundrels, both heroes have problems with their looks, but the heroines only see what's inside them <3 A lovely, funny, romantic story of an earl in need of a secretary, and a young widow in need of a job :) He has a temper, and she has one to match XD They are attracted to each other and fiting it, and I must say I loved every scene while they were working at his house XD great dialogue :)
We
Nikki
5+ stars. That's right... I typed it.

The first book I picked up of Elizabeth Hoyt's was To Seduce A Sinner from her Four Soldiers series. I don't know what it was that made me decide to choose that as my first taste of Hoyt - I think I read the first chapter on her website and it lured me in. I do know that while I enjoyed the writing well enough, the story and characters didn't overly impress me. Here's a tip to anyone who hasn't yet tried Elizabeth Hoyt - don't start with the Four Soldiers ser
Denise
A very engaging story about how beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Anna and Edward start off on rough ground after he almost tramples her on the road. She gives him some witty, sassy talk which surprises him. He is gruff and has a short fused explosive temper.
Edward is very self conscious of his severe scarring from having the pox when he was young. This bout with the pox, took his whole family when he was a young teen, he was the only one who survived. He finds in his life many people are r
Crista
I read this book because I am a frequenter of AAR and this book made the "Top 100 ever" list. I can plainly see why!

Anna Wren is a woman far beyond the times and goes to work for The Earl of Swarthington as his secretary. She really is a prize of a woman! Fiercely loyal to her deceased husbands mother, compassionate to animals, honest and forthright...kind of!, smart, and sensitive, it doesn't take long for the reader to fall in love with her.

Edward de Raaf is a little tougher.....he is somewh
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
After seeing my GR friend's reviews, I couldn't resist in reading this book. All I can say is THANK YOU! I stayed up until 4am reading this book (I started very late), and the second I woke up, I wanted to get back to the book. Love it and now I want book 2!

Update- Added this book to my "favorite book not published in 2010" shelf.
Blodeuedd Finland
I was unsure about the grade but I am just gonna go all bitchy on this book. Truth be told, I sat there reading and nitpicking and never truly connected. Did it make me want to read more by this author...no. Would it make me pick up more books by her if I found them at the library, no, and that really means it should get a 2. Which is still of course an ok grade.

So many things irritated me with this book. The first time Anna sees and hears Edward she thinks of one thing..is that how his voice so
Jessica
Five stars here means "it was amazing". I would place my rating at "I loved it and will be keeping a copy for re-reading".

This is my second Elizabeth Hoyt novel, and I'm falling more and more in love with the "historical England" she has created. I've read plenty of Regency and "ton" romances, but Hoyt's London is seedier, smellier, itchier, dirtier, and is an all around sensory feast for those who love to get lost in a book.

Once again, Hoyt has delivered an atypical hero. Edward de Raaf has sca
kız cezbeden
adam geneleve gider
kız gitmesine sebep
Zumbagirl
Oh, why did I wait so long to read this wonderful book? And to describe it as wonderful does not do it justice. I was hooked and in LOVE within a few pages - maybe by the second page. That is extremely rare for me. The author's writing style is very appealing. Seriously some of the best dialogue going - witty, humorous, sharp - and the two main characters go into my favorite couple hall of fame (they are up there with Matt and Meredith, Hardy and Haven). Every time there was a scene with them, y ...more
Audrey
Not a big fan usually of the hidden identity situations, but I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Edward turned out to be a great hero, and Anna and he made a splendid match. The author handled the hidden identity trope well, and the resolution of Edward's discovery of Anna's deception, along with his wooing/convincing her that they need to marry, was romantic without being saccharine. As with "The Leopard Prince" before, I really enjoyed Elizabeth Hoyt's writing, and I look forward to readi ...more
Dee
Jun 12, 2012 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dee by: Baba
I have only recently started reading HR and this author was recommended to me by a friend here on GR (Baba) and backed up by other friends, so I knew there was a good chance I was gonna like it as they rarely steer me wrong.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and have every intention of continuing to read this author. I loved the story line in that both the H/h weren't overly handsome or pretty, in fact the h is described as plain and a little plump and the h's first thought when she saw the H was that he
BJ Rose
Edward makes a very sympathetic hero - all of his actions are understandable and within character, given his sad history and his need to have an heir or have everything revert to the Crown (Anna told him she was barren). All of his actions - that includes going to a brothel for sex. Very much out of character was Anna's trips to the brothel to have anonymous sex with Edward (she wore a mask). Although she knew who he was, to him she was 'that whore from Aphrodite's'. No matter how I look at it, ...more
Keri
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Review @ Under the Covers

Impoverished widow Mrs Anna Wren needs to find a job if she doesn't wish to starve to death, luckily Edward de Raaf, Earl of Swartingham needs a new secretary as he has managed to scare of the latest one with his quick and extremely loud temper. Anna isn't so easily frightened away and as their friendship grows, so does their desire.

For my first read of 2013 I decided to start with a series that I know I love, so I chose the Princes Trilogy, its mixture of romance, passi
~J~ Riverina Romantics

I have never been a fan of Historical Romance, any time before the equality of the sexes doesnt seem to have an appeal to me, but The Raven Prince came highly recommended....and with good reason.

The Raven Prince was a delightfully sweet tale that I enjoyed from start to finish. It was adorably romantic and also erotic in parts without being smutty. I thoroughly enjoyed the tale of Anna and Edward and i found the included fairy tale story of The Raven Prince was enthralling.

This book has
The Raven Price 1 53 Dec 22, 2012 10:57AM
Romance Lovers fo...: The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt: 09-Feb-12 128 60 Feb 19, 2012 10:40AM
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • Yours Until Dawn
  • Passion (Passion Quartet, #1)
  • His at Night
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • Unveiled (Turner, #1)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Lord of Ice (Knight Miscellany, #3)
  • Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1)
  • The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in central Illinois with three untrained dogs, two angelic but bickering children, and one long-suffering husband.
More about Elizabeth Hoyt...
To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3) Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3) Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1) To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2) The Leopard Prince (Princes Trilogy, #2)

“Do you think 'Duke' is a good name?' she asked.

His face blanked for a second before it cleared. He glanced at the dog in consideration. 'I don't think so. He would outrank me.”
29 likes
“Where are we going?” she asked.

“Mr. Durbin’s sheep have begun to lamb, and I wanted to see how the ewes are doing.” He cleared his throat. “I suppose I should have told you about today’s outing earlier.”

Anna kept her eyes straight ahead and made a noncommittal sound.

He coughed. “I might’ve, had you not left so precipitously yesterday afternoon.”

She arched a brow but did not reply.

There was a lengthy lull broken only by the dog’s eager yelp as he flushed a rabbit from the hedge along the lane.

Then the earl tried again. “I’ve heard some people say my temper is rather . . .” He paused, apparently searching for a word.

Anna helped him. “Savage?”

He squinted at her.

“Ferocious?”

He frowned and opened his mouth.

She was quicker. “Barbaric?”

He cut her off before she could add to her list. “Yes, well, let us simply say that it intimidates some people.” He hesitated. “I wouldn’t want to intimidate you, Mrs. Wren.”

“You don’t.”