Start by marking “The Lamb Who Came for Dinner” as Want to Read:
The Lamb Who Came for Dinner

The Lamb Who Came for Dinner

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
When a hungry old wolf gets an unexpected visit from a little lamb, he starts planning a delicious lamb hotpot. But the lamb doesn't want to be the wolf's dinner, she wants to be his friend.
Published September 28th 2007 by Tiger Tales (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Lamb Who Came for Dinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lamb Who Came for Dinner

Richard
Oct 30, 2011 Richard rated it liked it
The book begins in quite a sinister manner as the front over suggests it would. The freezing cold lamb unwittingly asks the hungry wolf if she can shelter in his house from the snow. The wolf decides he can’t eat a frozen lamb so warms it up. Neither can he eat a hiccupping lamb. But after putting the lamb on his shoulder and tapping her, the lamb falls asleep. The wolf begins to feel for this naive, helpless lamb and has to fight his instincts to eat her. For the lamb’s own sake the wolf forces ...more
Becky B
Wolf is hungry, and though he has some vegetable soup what he'd really like is some nice, juicy lamb. Wolf thinks it must be his lucky day, because who should appear at his door right then but a little lamb! But after standing outside in the snow and cold, the lamb is a bit chilly and Wolf can't stand frozen food. Then the lamb is hungry, then it has the hiccups, and then it needs a hug. And Wolf finds himself in a dilemma, because after helping a little lamb overcome hunger and hiccups and lone ...more
Heidi
The pictures in this are adorable. And the story is sweet humor. I put the book on hold thinking my mom might like it. I think she would. A great lap-read. Maybe a fun school-age storytime. Though pre-schoolers would grasp the concept well and might be able to sit still long enough for the whole thing. This could be worked into another storytime of varying ages (like PJ or something). A good choice during the winter months. But I really, really love the pictures. I couldn't eat a lamb that cute ...more
TheCosyDragon
Mar 02, 2015 TheCosyDragon rated it it was amazing

It's cold outside and a little lamb is knocking at the door. The wolf is rather hungry, but he couldn't possibly eat a frozen lamb, it will give him indigestion! What shall he do?

So you've probably realised by now, but this is a kid's book! I ran into it because I happened to turn on the tv and Bookaboo was on! Bookaboo is awesome, it's on ABC4Ki
Ameenah Murray-khalifa
Apr 16, 2013 Ameenah Murray-khalifa rated it really liked it
This is a story of a sweet, innocent lamb who turns up at eh door of the wolf's house as he if cooking his dinner.
The lamb, half-frozen from the cold, wants nothing more than to be warm and hugged.

Children who have come across wolves in other stories would expect this wolf to be 'bad' and most certainly eat the little lamb "because that's what wolves do" as stated by my two youngest children.

The moment that softens the wolf's heart is whn little lamb falls asleep in his arms and wakes to give w
Hannah Mary
Nov 17, 2015 Hannah Mary rated it it was amazing
Very sweet book about a tough, hungry wolf who finds a lost lamb. As he takers her in to 'defrost' from the cold he starts caring for the little lamb and they become friends!
Kristina
My eldest daughter brought this book home from pre-school in 2013 and I read it to her every night for a week. Such a cute story. It is a simple but endearing story about a very hungry wolf who befriended the little lamb whom he originally desired to eat for dinner. The lamb would have made a tasty addition to his vegetable hot pot. I loved the lamb's question at the end of the story, "Not eat me woof? No?" and the wolf's reply "Goodness gracious me, I can't eat a lamb who needs me". So cute!
Christina
A young lamb is caught in the cold and knocks on a hungry wolf's door for help. The story is humorous. The wolf looks at the lamb and imagines a yummy dinner. However, hearing the lambs tummy rumble, his conscience kicks in and he feeds the lamb. The story continues in this manner with nature vs nurture. Children will enjoy the sweet, no pun intended, ending!

Claudia Loureiro
Aug 10, 2013 Claudia Loureiro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
Fala de um lobo, velhinho e esfomeado, que recebeu inesperadamente a visita de uma ovelhinha. Mal olhou para ela, começou logo a planear um belo ensopado de borrego. Mas a ovelhinha não queria ser o jantar do lobo. Na verdade, o que ela queria mesmo era... ser apenas amiga dele!
Lori
Jul 09, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
I kind of like it when the big bad wolf turns into an old softie....which is just what happens in this humorous book. Great illustrations (love the wolf's rainbow socks) and amusing text make it perfect for a read aloud.
Kirsten
I really enjoyed reading this one out loud. There's lots of sound effects, the illustrations are big and bright, and the wolf's repetition of "My goodness gracious me!" kept making the kids laugh.
Mandy
Jan 15, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An old wolf is very hungry, and vegetable soup again just won't do. What luck, a cold little lamb knocks on his front door and begs to come in!

(Very touching/heartwarming :) )
Paula

When a hungry old wolf gets an unexpected visit from a little lamb, he starts planning a delicious lamb stew, while all the little lamb wants is to be his friend.
Emily
Nov 16, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Emily by: scholastic book orders
FANTASTIC book for kids! Mine take different parts and recognize words more quickly because of it. Great for 3-6 yrs., also a good ending they love.
Meg McGregor
Jul 26, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
A very sweet story about the friendship that develops between a hungry wolf and a helpless lost little lamb!
Marilyn
Sep 29, 2011 Marilyn rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wolf has a change of heart about eating an adorable, loving lamb. They become vegetarians together. ;)
Natalie
Dec 12, 2007 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is some stick sweet dialogue coming out of the wolf's mouth, and this time he really means it!
Jenny
Dec 30, 2007 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschoolers
Very fun story of learning what friendship can be. Illustrations are colorful. A very good read aloud book!!
Holly
So cute and charming! Love that cuddly lamb and how the wolf is filled with love and enlightenment!
Tina Bartholoma
"lamb, big bad wolf, family, wolf becomes vegetarian"
Chris
Jun 30, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Goodness gracious, the wolf has a soft side!
Marge
fun suspense story for 4's & 5's
Serveh
Serveh marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2016
Vonnie
Vonnie added it
Apr 26, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Naiara
Naiara added it
Apr 14, 2016
Nerea
Nerea rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Hoooo!
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • Mice And Beans
  • The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza
Steve Smallman lives in Staffordshire with his wife, two dogs and two cats. He has four children and a grandchild. Steve has been illustrating children’s books for almost 30 years and writing his own stories for slightly less. He also teaches illustration workshops in schools, including mural-painting. Steve is the author of Smelly Peter the Great Pea Eater (Winner of the Sheffield Children's Book ...more
More about Steve Smallman...