Start by marking “The Prince” as Want to Read:
The Prince

Read Book* *Different edition

The Prince

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  162,260 Ratings  ·  4,683 Reviews
THE PRINCE was written by Niccolo' Machiavelli in the 1500s. It has continued to be a best seller in many languages. Presently, it is translated into modern English, with illustrations by Benjamin Martinez and an Introduction by Adolph Cso.

The Prince is a classic book that explores the attainment, maintenance, and utilization of political power in the western world. Machia
Published June 1st 2003 by Dante University of America Press (first published 1532)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince, please sign up.

Meltem I think I should start off with saying that this book was addressed to Lorenzo de Medici and in some sense it was written to get back into their good…moreI think I should start off with saying that this book was addressed to Lorenzo de Medici and in some sense it was written to get back into their good graces. This work is in contrast to his other works. The previous two chapter explain other ways how a prince came to power and the does not want to leave the last, however 'wicked' it is (in his view). His thoughts on this matter is quite clearly expressed by the following sentence:

"Nevertheless, his barbarous cruelty and inhumanity with infinite wickedness do not permit him to be celebrated among the most excellent men."

One can gain power this way, but according to Machiavelli's reasoning he will not be able to keep it, because he pleases no one. As in another example by Machiavelli, Oliveretto rose to power by wickedness however was strangled because of it.
In this work Machiavelli writes about how a prince should acquire land by, in some ways, cruelty. He is seen to be somewhat more of a realist, using examples throughout history as well. But do keep in mind that he is more of an idealist in other works.

I hope I understood it correctly and explained it so it would be intelligible to you.(less)

filter: 3 stars  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
قد ملأت شهرة هذا الكتاب السمع والبصر ...
حتى باتت قراءته واجبه ...
نجحت بفضل الله سبحانه اولا ...ثم صديق عزيز في الحصول ع نسخة جديدة عن دار الكرنك محققه بواسطة إيهاب كمال محمد ...
في البداية لقد استفدت من كلام المحقق أكثر بكثير من الكتاب ذاته ...
فمقدمه الكتاب غنية جدا ...ولا يمكن الاستيعاض عنها بمحتوى الكتاب ...ثم ان إضافاته في نهاية الكتاب جعلت من الكتاب بحث علمي متكامل عن السياسه قبل وبعد (مكيافيلي ) و العلاقة بين ابن تيميه (المفترى عليه من أتباعه) ومكيافيلي .
سأضع المنقول من الكتاب بين علامتي تنص
Liz BooksandStuff
This book is the perfect representation between the best and the worst of House Slytherin in the Harry Potter verse, and that is how I presented it to my class. I got an A on the paper, so it does make sense.
“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.” Yes Machiavelli, at least you make some logical sense.

Here is my reasoning about Slytherin and The Prince: Slytherin House, which is known for cunningness, astuteness, ambition, thirst for power, self-preservation

نيقولا ميكافيللي

وكان شرحه فصيحًا لدرجة اشتياقهم لرؤية الكتيبة المنظمة
ولكنهم قضوا 3 ساعات تحت الشمس
ولم يستطع نيقولا أن ينظم الجنود يعد محاولات لم تبوء إلا
Libertine magazine issue 3 has a quote down the spine:

it is the common good, and not private gain, that makes the cities great

I like to quote this to friends and play the yes-no game at guessing who said it. Everyone is stunned that it was Machiavelli.

In times when Machiavelli sounds radical, look sharp = /
بثينة العيسى
كيف تكون لا أخلاقيا في 100 صفحة.
Classic book about politics and power...per the cover copy: "The famous analysis of Statesmanship and Power. This world-renowned study reveals the techniques and strategy of gaining and keeping political control."

I picked up this book some years ago at a yard sale or a used book store...I don't remember which. And (picture my head hung in shame) it sat on the bookshelf, giving me a guilt complex every time I passed it over for something else. And It's such a short little thing....This is the 195
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN problem 3 30 Apr 15, 2016 12:06AM
Why was this book written? 20 342 Aug 22, 2015 08:41PM
Goodreads Librari...: Cover for Penguin Classics 1961 Version of The Prince 2 28 Jun 23, 2015 05:48AM
  • Two Treatises of Government
  • Leviathan
  • Phaedrus
  • The Book of the Courtier
  • Rights of Man
  • Political Writings (Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism
  • An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding
  • On Law, Morality, and Politics
Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli was an Italian political philosopher, musician, poet, and romantic comedic playwright. He is a figure of the Italian Renaissance and a central figure of its political component, most widely known for his treatises on realist political theory (The Prince) on the one hand and republicanism (Discourses on Livy) on the other.
More about Niccolò Machiavelli...

“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.” 5784 likes
“If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.” 641 likes