Start by marking “Haunted Providence: Strange Tales from the Smallest State” as Want to Read:
Haunted Providence: Strange Tales from the Smallest State

Haunted Providence: Strange Tales from the Smallest State

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Author Rory Raven has collected stories and tales drawn from the history and folklore of one of the oldest cities in the nation. From restless spirits and mysterious deaths, to vampires and shadowy strangers--including H.P. Lovecraft, one of the most influential horror writers of the twentieth century--Haunted Providence explores the events and untold tales that have made ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Haunted America (first published March 14th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Providence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Providence

Kathleen
For me this is both historical fiction and non fiction (I can't find that I've created a shelf for folklore, ghost stories, legends and the like!), so for now, it will reside here. I like the writer's style and very much appreciate his facility with language. This was a good corralling of some of the weirdest and possibly scariest bits of history about Providence. A fun read for me and my spouse! Loved all the photos.
Nomad
I was hit by a motherlode of nostalgia for my home state of Rhode Island and bought a slew of haunted New England books, of which this is one. I don't believe in ghosts and enjoy these stories as a way to revel in the folklore of where I come from and besides, who DOESN'T like a good ghost story?

The photos were very good and the book was enjoyable. It feed this transplanted Rhode Islander's need to bring some spooky New England to overly sunny San Diego.
Meredith
The worst! No references, no footnotes, no works cited... the author does refer to some publications and names of people he interviewed within the text but, in general, it read like an informal conversation - not a nonfiction book. I'm sure Rory Raven does a fantastic Providence Ghost Walk but as an author, I'm unimpressed. This book may have been more appropriate as a shorter brochure one could purchase to accompany the Ghost Walk.
Bill
This short easy to read anecdotal book brings history to life (or death) in a new manner. A little folksy, very Rhode Islandy it tells stories told around the state, perhaps more folklore than history. There is enough of both here to make even historyphobes take notice. I thought it was great. And the cover is fabulous too.
Brandy
Part ghost stories, part armchair history. Some of the entries were a little disjointed, but it was an entertaining read anyway.

I don't miss living in Providence, though.
Charles M.
Interesting book, filled with lore, etc. about Providence, RI and environs. From same person, who gives haunted tours of Providence, RI during fall.
Ron
Interest stories about Providnece. Quick good read.
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
LeAnn
LeAnn marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Stacey
Stacey added it
Jul 31, 2014
Bsg77
Bsg77 marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Ileana
Ileana marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
veronica davies
veronica davies marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2012
Rick Shepard
Rick Shepard marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012
Wicked Conduct: The Minister, the Mill Girl and the Murder That Captivated Old Rhode Island The Dorr War: Treason, Rebellion & the Fight for Reform in Rhode Island Burning the Gaspee: Revolution in Rhode Island