Start by marking “Haunted Providence: Strange Tales from the Smallest State” as Want to Read:
Haunted Providence: Strange Tales from the Smallest State

Haunted Providence: Strange Tales from the Smallest State

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Author Rory Raven has collected stories and tales drawn from the history and folklore of one of the oldest cities in the nation. From restless spirits and mysterious deaths, to vampires and shadowy strangers--including H.P. Lovecraft, one of the most influential horror writers of the twentieth century--Haunted Providence explores the events and untold tales that have made ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by History Press (SC) (first published March 14th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Providence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Providence

Meredith
Nov 10, 2008 Meredith rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated-it
The worst! No references, no footnotes, no works cited... the author does refer to some publications and names of people he interviewed within the text but, in general, it read like an informal conversation - not a nonfiction book. I'm sure Rory Raven does a fantastic Providence Ghost Walk but as an author, I'm unimpressed. This book may have been more appropriate as a shorter brochure one could purchase to accompany the Ghost Walk.
Kathleen
Feb 04, 2014 Kathleen rated it really liked it
For me this is both historical fiction and non fiction (I can't find that I've created a shelf for folklore, ghost stories, legends and the like!), so for now, it will reside here. I like the writer's style and very much appreciate his facility with language. This was a good corralling of some of the weirdest and possibly scariest bits of history about Providence. A fun read for me and my spouse! Loved all the photos.
Nomad
Jul 25, 2012 Nomad rated it really liked it
Shelves: haunted-history
I was hit by a motherlode of nostalgia for my home state of Rhode Island and bought a slew of haunted New England books, of which this is one. I don't believe in ghosts and enjoy these stories as a way to revel in the folklore of where I come from and besides, who DOESN'T like a good ghost story?

The photos were very good and the book was enjoyable. It feed this transplanted Rhode Islander's need to bring some spooky New England to overly sunny San Diego.
Bill
Dec 26, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
This short easy to read anecdotal book brings history to life (or death) in a new manner. A little folksy, very Rhode Islandy it tells stories told around the state, perhaps more folklore than history. There is enough of both here to make even historyphobes take notice. I thought it was great. And the cover is fabulous too.
Brandy
Part ghost stories, part armchair history. Some of the entries were a little disjointed, but it was an entertaining read anyway.

I don't miss living in Providence, though.
Charles M.
Jun 30, 2013 Charles M. rated it liked it
Interesting book, filled with lore, etc. about Providence, RI and environs. From same person, who gives haunted tours of Providence, RI during fall.
Ron
Jul 15, 2009 Ron rated it liked it
Interest stories about Providnece. Quick good read.
Jenn
Jenn rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Renee Ladurantaye
Renee Ladurantaye rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
KayB
KayB marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Catie
Catie rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Danielle D
Danielle D rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Kristen Blackbeard
Kristen Blackbeard marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Olga
Olga rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Daisy Perry
Daisy Perry rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Mallory O'Meara
Mallory O'Meara rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Meara
Meara rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
LeAnn
LeAnn marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Stacey
Stacey added it
Jul 31, 2014
Bsg77
Bsg77 marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Hannah C
Hannah C rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Blackaria
Blackaria rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2013