Start by marking “Confessions Of A Justified Sinner” as Want to Read:
Confessions Of A Justified Sinner

Confessions Of A Justified Sinner

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,849 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews
James Hogg wrote about the supernatural powerfully and convincingly, especially in his best-known novel, "The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner, " published in 1824. it has been called "the greatest of all Scottish novels."
Published November 26th 1992 by Everyman (first published 1824)

Bookworm Sean
I have no idea what this book is about. Nobody does. The narrative is so dense that it is impossible to make a solid interpretation of the events, but I shall try. I shall try to tell you why this book is so utterly excellent.

Perhaps the most obvious interpretation to start with is the religious angle. Robert, our sinner, has been claimed by Satan. The prince of destruction dominates his mind and controls his actions. The novel can be read as a didactical message about the dangers of a sinful m
Bill  Kerwin

A "post-modernist" early 19th century Scottish novel featuring multiple narratives and at least one--possibly three--unreliable narrators, "Sinner" is a curious congeries of doppleganger tale, abnormal psychology, moral fable, anti-Calvinist satire, and historical fiction with a little comic relief thrown in.

Part of its attraction may come from its very strangeness, which in turn may be a result of the fact that Hogg is not completely in control of his material, but that in no way diminishes th
Shovelmonkey1
Jul 27, 2011 Shovelmonkey1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: justified sinners everywhere
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list
The 1001 books list says that this is "at once gothic comedy, religious horror story, mystery thriller and psychological study." Way to go James Hogg! Either this book is so deep and complex that no one can actually fathom enough of it to pigeon-hole it in a convincing manner, or it is in fact, everything it says on the tin.

Personally I saw this book as a good example of what might happen when you tell a lot of people that they have an unlimited get-out-of-hell-free card. The deal is this: you
Anastasia Fitzgerald-Beaumont
So, what is the best Gothic novel ever written? For me there can only be one candidate: The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg, a nineteenth century Scottish poet and author. Hogg wrote it with a straight-forward intention: as a good macabre tale and as a satire on the Calvinist theology of his native Presbyterian church.

But with the passage of time more complex readings can be made; as an examination of a mind on the brink of collapse or, perhaps more import, es
J.G. Keely
I came across Hogg through his interactions with de Quincey, and so I grabbed his most notable work from Project Gutenberg, expecting another 'Opium Eater' about some clever reprobate's adventures through the Victorian. If you know anything about this book, then you can imagine my shock and wonder at discovering the story it actually contains.

It begins simply enough, as a witty picaresque set in Scotland and making some mockery of self-righteousness and Calvinist pre-destination in particular. B
Tony
This book opens with an anonymous Editor offering a 70-page Narrative, the story of what happened here. He tells it slyly, almost as if the humor and skewerings in the telling were unintentional. It's a Cain and Abel tale, a fratricide.

This segues into the Private Memoirs and Confessions of the killer, who indeed fancies himself a Justified Sinner. Something on the order of the Devil made me do it. It is nothing less than a descent into madness.

The Editor re-appears briefly at the end, explaini
Jonfaith
Sep 24, 2015 Jonfaith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who is he that causeth the mole, from his secret path of darkness, to throw up the gem, the gold, and the precious ore?

Hogg should be better remembered. Justified Sinner is a dark revelation, one less gothic than psychological. The novel is a headbirth which ignores Lewis/Walpole/Radcliff and instead Babadooks from a nascent emotional realism, one like Fyodor's magic door where everything is tinged yellow and seizures lead to murder. Speaking of crows, I heartily endorse the subtext as being an
Marie
May 09, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recently-read
I found this totally addictive and read it in two sittings. He's not the writer Scott was, nevertheless I found the style and tone to be highly readable. In fact, I thought his coarser style was more appealing in many ways.
By turns sinister, terrifying, amusing, fanatical, complex, simple,realistic, supernatural, ludicrous, coarse, lyrical,poetic...All combining to make a wonderful read.
Although not always my cup of tea in novels, I found the multiple narratives to be hugely interesting and enli
James
Oct 23, 2015 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
This is the first reading experience I have ever had that would have been enhanced by having a church organ belt out some thunderous riffs every now and again in the background.

Published in 1824, and rediscovered in the 1940s when it must have seemed incredibly apt, The novel is a fascinating mixture between gothic novel, crime story, psychological thriller, and study of religious fanaticism. Actually to call it a mixture is to do the book a rank disservice, its more of a multi- layered gem. Tw
Issicratea
Feb 21, 2015 Issicratea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 1800-1900
I felt as one round whose body a deadly snake is twisted, which continues to hold him in its fangs, without injuring him, farther than in moving its scaly infernal folds with exulting delight, to let its victim feel to whose power he has subjected himself ….

Hogg’s Confessions of a Justified Sinner is one of those works that was experimental at the time it was published, and still reads as pretty experimental almost two hundered years on (it was published in 1824). This is late-Gothic at its most
Thing Two
Don't wring him, Wringhim.

Someone is saying prayers for me,
The grace I earn I never see,
In all things he do, I interferes,
All I know is trouble as soon as he appears.

Mister Wringhim, Mister Wringhim, Mister Wringhim. I'm gonna wring him.

When I say my prayers my character changes,
My whole mind and body rearranges,
This strange transformation takes place in me,
Instead of myself everybody can see...

Mister Wringhim, Mister Wringhim, Mister Wringhim. I'm gonna wring him.

When you see my brother, make s
☽ Moon Rose ☯
THE PHARISAICAL VIEW

Predestination is an infallible and rigid belief that God has irrevocably preordained the eternal salvation of some and the condemnation of the rest of mankind. For the elected few whose salvation has already been guaranteed, no past or future transgression could wobble its validity, nor any situation could alter its mandate.

This seemingly amorphous doctrine in Christian theology is from the teachings of St. Augustine of Hippo and of Calvin and James Hogg elucidates this do
Old-Barbarossa
Apr 09, 2008 Old-Barbarossa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ranting Scottish religious fundamentalist goes a bit bonkers and it all ends in tears. An early book with different viewpoints presented as "found" papers. A few in-jokes, a bit of murder, and some self righteous godbothering. Or is it a study of the descent into mental illness? A bit of work for the modern reader at times but well worth the effort.
Nan
One of the most bizarre and compelling books I've ever read. I can't wait to write about it--academically, rather than for fun. That said, I won't waste too much of my time reviewing it here.

This much you should know: three times, you hear the story of Robert Wringhim and his parents, and each telling is different. No teller is impartial, and each version of the events varies greatly. Few things are certain by the end of the novel. Only one thing, I would think, remains certain--absolute faith i
David Sarkies
Dec 18, 2014 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Gothic Horror
Recommended to David by: Jasmine
Shelves: dark
The dark side of Predestination

I first discovered this book when I was perusing the shelf of a friend of mine from university and the title literally jumped out at me. The first thought that went through my mind was 'wow, this seems to be a good, whole hearted, Christian book' and asked her if I could borrow it. She kindly lent it to me, but I never go to finish it because after a week she asked for it back (having assumed that I have finished reading it, which I hadn't). Anyway, that was the l
Lauren Smith
Oct 08, 2009 Lauren Smith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lauren by: Luxx (LibraryThing)
Trish
I first read this at university, but decided that it was long past time to reread it. In the first few pages, I couldn't see why it had made such a strong impression on me. But by the end of the "Editor's Notes", I'd remembered. And there's so much about it that I'd forgotten - especially the latter part of it. So a rare star upgrade from my original rating.

It tells the story of a 'justified' sinner, who believes he's already one of God's elect on Earth, and therefore his place in Heaven is alre
Marieke
UNRELIABLE NARRATOR!! META-FICTION!! demons, possession, murders, grave disturbers! what more can you ask for? oh yeah, wonderfully stilted old-fashioned language plus some scottish brogue for good measure. i dare you...READ THIS BOOK!

disclaimer: i know nothing about Calivinism or how to read that layer of the story. but for those of you who do, this book may hold even more (or perhaps less, depending on your view of religion in literature) than it did for me.
Tristram
Cloven Hooves in Goody-Two-Shoes

It was thanks to one of my Goodreads friends’ reviews that I came across James Hogg’s disturbing novel The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner, which was published anonymously in 1824 and which can be read as a warning against religious fanaticism – were it not for the difficult language, it should therefore belong to the set books of our schools – but which is much more than that.

The Private Memoirs tells the story of the fervent and utterly sel
Sesana
Of the gothic novels that I've read, this one could most easily be adapted into a modern retelling. It would be perfectly seamless. This is, of course, assuming it hasn't been done already.

The book is divided into two sections. The first is an extended not from the "editor", explaining the circumstances of the case and introducing the second part, the private notes of Robert Wringhim, and the villain of the piece. Robert has been taught from a young age that he is one of the elect, and that wha
Nick
Sep 11, 2010 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, scotland
A very confusing novel, "Private Memoirs..." explores, over and over again, the concept of the "double" as a demonic force. A demon (is it Satan? -- probably not, though several characters speculate) entices a religious young man into a "double life" of debauchery and murder. The demon has the ability to resemble whoever's energies he is thinking of at the moment; thereby, several characters have "doubles" in the course of the story. The narrative, further is in two separate parts, the first an ...more
Angela
Jul 30, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best title ever, eh? There was no way i wasn't going to read it after seeing that. And the book delivers everything the title promises. Hogg shows just how far people are prepared to go; even act against their own conscience, when they blindly believe in something.

Hogg's narrative not only manages to attack extreme Calvinism, but also undermines the criminal justice system in Scotland at the time. Like James' 'Turn of the Screw', we are also never sure whether Robert's memoirs really tell of th
Andrea
Sep 05, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thinkers
Shelves: recommended
A 19th century piece about religious mania.

The book is split into three parts - the first is an account by The Editor (whoever that may be), the second is the actual memoir (and confession), and the final part is a wrap-up, so to speak, by The Editor once again.

I didn't enjoy the first part as much as the second, but I wouldn't have enjoyed the second part as much if I hadn't read the first, if you get what I mean.

I think this book, even though it was first published in 1824, is a timely reminde
Morgan
Aug 16, 2011 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fact that this still holds up pretty well today, context is everything. If you consider that this was written in 1824 the book is astoundingly shocking. It thumbs its nose at Calvinism, it sympathizes with a murderer, it toys with satanism, it explores insanity vs reality, and the tone of the book writes like a piece of post-modern metafiction. It doesn't surprise me to know that when this came out no one knew what to do with it and it didn't resurface until 100 years later.
Jo
The tale of a young religious man in Scotland who believes he has righteousness on his side and this enables him to treat others as beneath him and to commit murder and other 'sins'. The main function of this novel is to highlight the dangers of religious fanatacism and, although it's written a couple of centuries ago, it does seem rather relevant to today's issues.
Mrs. Bunny
Jun 13, 2016 Mrs. Bunny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, gothic
4.5
delightful
Jan-Maat
Set out within the framing mechanism of a forgotten manuscript found and presented to the reader this Calvinist inspired horror story is set around the year 1700 in Scotland and features the involvement of a mysterious diabolical figure in a sibling rivalry.
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

THE EDITOR'S NARRATIVE

It appears from tradition, as well as some parish registers still extant, that the lands of Dalcastle (or Dalchastel, as it is often spelled) were possessed by a family of the name of Colwan, about one hundred and fifty years ago, and for at least a century previous to that period. That family was supposed to have been a branch of the ancient family of Colquhoun, and it is certain that from it spring the Cowans that spread toward
Sara
This peculiar little book is essentially a send-up of hard-line Scottish Calvinism and especially its tenet of predestination. Hogg's main character - the "justified sinner", one Robert Wringhim - was raised in the faith and told that he was one of the elect, meaning he is predestined for heaven and his actions, on the merit of being his actions, must be righteous.

This creates in Robert a miserable asshole of a person, judgmental and impatient towards others, weak and selfish but arrogant in hi
Boris
Feb 28, 2008 Boris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this edition is optically scanned with numerous errors. So get a different one.

Like a lot I've read recently, it deals with the religious conflicts of 18th century England and Scotland. This book deals specifically with Calvinism and the notion of the elect brethren -- a small group of people whom God has selected from the beginning of time to be let into heaven to the exclusion of everyone else, actions for good or ill on their part or on the part of the damned notwithstanding. A
  • Melmoth the Wanderer
  • News from Nowhere and Other Writings
  • Born in Exile
  • The Monk
  • Là-Bas (Down There)
James Hogg was a Scottish poet, novelist and essayist who wrote in Scots and English. As a young man he worked as a shepherd and farmhand, and was largely self-educated through reading. He was a friend of many of the great writers of his day, including Sir Walter Scott, of whom he later wrote an unauthorized biography. He became widely known as the "Ettrick Shepherd", a nickname under which some o ...more
More about James Hogg...

“With regard to the work itself, I dare not venture a judgment, for I do not understand it.” 17 likes
“…he knew no other pleasure but what consisted in opposition.” 6 likes