Start by marking “The Institutes of Biblical Law: Law And Society (Volume Two)” as Want to Read:
The Institutes of Biblical Law: Law And Society (Volume Two)

The Institutes of Biblical Law: Law And Society (Volume Two)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Rousas John (R. J.) Rushdoony (1916-2001) was a well-known American scholar, writer, and author of over thirty books. He held B.A. and M.A. degrees from the University of California and received his theological training at the Pacific School of Religion. An ordained minister, he worked as a missionary among Paiute and Shoshone Indians as well as a pastor to two California...more
Published by Chalcedon (first published June 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Institutes of Biblical Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Institutes of Biblical Law

Jessica Courter
Huzzah! I finally finished my first volume! I know I'm going about this backwards, but at this point in life, I wasn't able to sit down with long portions of time to read, so the short, manageable chapters of Volume 3 were perfect.

As far as the content of this book, Mr. Rushdoony explains in plain, easy-to-understand terms why theonomy, or God's Law, is such a crucial doctrine for Christians to understand, embrace and teach. Without this foundational doctrine in place, we must consequently retr...more
Ian Hodge
Rushdoony's Institutes of Biblical Law follows his earlier books outlining the influence of Greek and neoplatonic thought into modern culture, and therefore modern Christianity. Rushdoony saw clearly two choices: man's law or God's law. He recognized that non-biblical thought had misdirected everyone's attention from the unified covenants of the Bible. This book is an attempt to explain God's Law (Torah).
Feb 27, 2013 John rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
The second volume of Rushdoony's Institutes is a much different book than the first. The first was organized primarily by the Ten Commandments. This book is a collection of topics, or themes. The chapters are all very short--ranging from two pages to six. The book progresses thematically, but in a rather loose way.

Like any other collection of essays, they are uneven in quality. Most are okay--small developments on themes from the first book. Some are outstanding, and some are really not all tha...more
Peter B.
This is a seminal book on understanding biblical law, its way of life, and applying it to civilization. Rushdoony's writing is unique and insightful. I don't always agree with his positions, but even in those places he is beneficial to read. You do have to pay careful attention to his line of thought, as it isn't always conventional. Also, it is pretty amazing how well-read Rushdoony is, which gives him a very practical edge on applying biblical law.

"The goal of atonement, of redemption, is the...more
Rkeddins
Excellent book on understanding God's law and how it applies to society and the believer. This book has greatly developed my understanding of biblical law. It is so important in understanding both covenants that I've used it as a family study.
Doug Ramsburg
This is my favorite book besides the Bible. Rushdoony shows how God's law should be applied to modern day society like now one I have ever read!
Jacob Aitken
I come not to praise Rushdoony, but to bury him. I put off reviewing this work, either here or on amazon, for over 5 years. Even in my recon days, this book had too many conceptual problems to warrant "free praise." We will get to those problems in a minute. It would be futile (and intellectually impossible) to give an adequate review and summary of this work.

Obviously, it parallels Calvin by title. Part of the book is a running (if massively flawed) commentary on the Ten Commandments. Interest...more
Steve Hemmeke
I was quite taken aback to begin reading the introduction to the Institutes of Biblical Law and find Calvin’s view of the law dubbed “heretical nonsense” (9). Rushdoony pulls no punches.

Surveying the 10 commandments for 650 pages, and then turning to the use of the law throughout Scripture for another 200, Rushdoony is an insightful cultural critic and decent exegete, but his theological view of the law within the entire scope of Scripture is off kilter.

There is a wealth of information on the Te...more
John
It is interesting that Rushdoony chose to write a third volume to his Institutes so long after the publication of the first two volumes. In many ways, the third volume serves as a summary of the previous two volumes. There is little new material. It is organized into very short chapters--some less than a page long.

Rushdoony does respond to his critics with more depth in this volume, but he still seems unable to grasp that his understanding of the validity of Old Testament law is entirely bound u...more
John
The law in the Old Testament is often treated as an embarrassing thing by Christians and the church. There are those that look down upon it, and it is easy to be thankful one is not a Jew under the obligations of the Old Testament law. Secularists often point to things like the condemnation of cloths made with two materials, no sex with a menstruating wife, laws against homosexuality, and on and on. Too often Christians join in the ridicule and dismiss the goodness of God’s law.
Along comes R.J....more
Jeremy Walker
R. J. Rushdoony is a modern day Moses. This book is the foundational book for all his other many writings.

As Rushdoony has said before, "Christ does not save men in order to make them moral idiots."

Rushdoony desires for the world to have true revival, and revival comes when men are called out of their lawless living, back into obedience to the law of God. We do not obey God so that we may be saved, we obey the law of God because we have been saved.

Read Rushdoony
Amy
YAY I AM DONE! *does happy dance* The Institute of Bibical Law is truly a facinating read, it stretched my thoughts and opinions to a remarkable extent, and I have a better grasp of the Bible because of it.
It was, though, long and I often struggled to finish it. While adjetives like "facinating" or "fantastic" might be a bit more enthusastic then the book deserves, it certainly is an educational read that the you can't help but learn from.
Paul
Jan 28, 2014 Paul is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
"Anything other than a Biblically grounded schooling is thus an act of apostasy for a believer...", and, "...while evangelical Christians today are greatly concerned with personal holiness, the Bible is also concerned with national holiness.", pretty much sets the tone.
A training guide for the people that protest at the funerals of soldiers.
Jacob Aitken
Best described as "good, bathroom reading." Think about it. Each chapter is about two minutes worth of reading and the dimensions of the book fit nicely on the top of the toilet! There is definitely a difference of quality between this volume and volume one. I really don't recommend it.
Tim Renshaw
Excellent. Everyone that calls themselves Christian and wonders why, but if God never changes and is never thwarted, that we give no heed to the Old Testament / the Law aside from being somewhat interesting history and good morality tales.
Steven Wedgeworth
This is Rushdoony at his most famous. It is full of weirds, odds, and stranges, so be alert for that. There's plenty to think about though, and I'd recommend being familiar with it.
Douglas Hayes
One of the most significant books I have ever read. I've made all my children read it, and I've done book studies through it twice.

Rushdoony at his best!
Andy Kenway
Excellent. I liked it even better than the first volume, which is saying a great deal.
Brian
Top notch commentary on the Ten Commandments from a Theonomic Position.
Gwen Burrow
Boy, this was a long time ago. All I know is that I liked it.
Ken
Foundational. Every high school student should read this.
Jerry
Always provocative and interesting.
Steve Macias
Rushdoony does it for me.
Felipe
Excelente! Fantástico!
  • Westminster Confession Of Faith (1646-7) (and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, Directories for Public and Private Worship, Form of Presbyterial Church Government, the Sum of Saving Knowledge, National Covenant and the Solemn League and Covenant)
  • Systematic Theology
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • A Christian Manifesto
  • Christian Apologetics 2nd Ed
  • We Become What We Worship: A Biblical Theology of Idolatry
  • The Last Days According to Jesus: When Did Jesus Say He Would Return?
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Home-Making
  • So Much More
  • The Future of Justification: A Response to N. T. Wright
  • Basic Theological Writings
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
Rousas John Rushdoony was a Calvinist philosopher, historian, and theologian and is widely credited as the father of both Christian Reconstructionism and the modern homeschool movement. His prolific writings have exerted considerable influence on the Christian right.
More about R.J. Rushdoony...
Law and Liberty By What Standard? An Analysis of the Philosophy of Cornelius Van Til The Foundations of Social Order: Studies in the Creeds and Councils of the Early The One And The Many: Studies In The Philosophy Of Order And Ultimacy Politics of Guilt and Pity

“It must be recognized that in any culture the source of law is the god of that society” 24 likes
“It needs more than ever to be stressed that the best and truest educators are parents under God. The greatest school is the family. In learning, no act of teaching in any school or university compares to the routine task of mothers in teaching a babe who speaks no language the mother tongue in so short a time. No other task in education is equal to this. The moral training of the children, the discipline of good habits, is an inheritance from the parents to the children which surpasses all other. The family is the first and basic school of man.” 7 likes