Start by marking “Deutsche Spezialitäten” as Want to Read:
Deutsche Spezialitäten

Christine Metzger

Deutsche Spezialitäten

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  7 reviews

Food and culture are inexorably tied together. Culinaria reports on every aspect of a country's cuisine within the context of the people who created it. Profusely illustrated with spectacular photography and abundantly peppered with authentic recipes, these volumes are a treat for both the mind and the palate.

Published 2007 by Tandem (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Deutsche Spezialitäten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deutsche Spezialitäten

Petra Xtra Crunchy
This book is to die for. Not just the food or the fabulous mouth-watering photogaphy, it is a travelogue by food of Germany. Even if you aren't a cook (I'm not) you will be totally absorbed by this amazing book.
Cheri
This is my favorite set of cookbooks. These are like travel guides. Each region is carefully explained, and the food that region is known for is detailed. The pictures are exquisite. The books are so heavy that I have to get them down off the shelf for my mom and put her at the dining room table (as she's too little to hold these in her lap)! In rating this, I realized I have not made any of the recipes in the Germany book, so I will have to give one a try soon. In general, I have much better pl ...more
Zenaida Partin
More of a culinarian's guide to regional cooking history than a practical cookbook; you will love this book for kitchen display, reading and dreaming or travel planning. It's hefty weight and size let you know that it's informational value alone is worth the price of the book. Some of the recipes may be difficult to duplicate in your home kitchen or ingredients difficult to find outside of the specific region of Germany, but there is much to keep you busy in the kitchen as well. The newest editi ...more
Jen
This book is REALLY great for learning about the regional variations of food in Germany. The stories about the foods, their origins, and how they are served are really well done, along with the photos. I consider this a cultural tour of Germany's food. However, the recipes aren't very detailed and don't work very well (and I live in Germany, so it's not a problem of getting the ingredients). For this reason, I use this as a reference only, and refer to other cookbooks for recipes.
Redsteve
A wonderful read. Not just a cookbook, but an account (by region) of all aspects of food in Germany: recipes, history, dining, culture, agriculture, food production, hunting/fishing and even the politics of food. Also useful as a travel guide for foodies. The recipes do presuppose a certain amount of cooking knowledge on the part of the reader.
Barb
Arrived... it's a big hardback coffee table style book

Beautiful photography, colorful insights, and mouth-watering recipes of one of my favorite cuisines. Something wonderful on every page. I will refer to this book frequently. I hope to find a good German Deli close by. My favorite Old Country deli in Palo Alto closed a few years back. =(.
Lara
Great cookbook! Each region of Germany has its own chapter including history, culture, and recipes that are central to that area. Great photographs too. I love it when a cookbook is more than just a dry compilation of recipes!
Hannah
Hannah added it
Nov 27, 2014
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Marianne Wurtele
Marianne Wurtele marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Marianthi
Marianthi marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Jessie
Jessie added it
Aug 08, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Culinaria Spain
  • Culinaria France
  • Culinaria Italy
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • The Babbo Cookbook
  • The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother
  • Quick and Easy Thai: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • Garde Manger: The Art and Craft of the Cold Kitchen
  • Man Walks into a Pub: A Sociable History of Beer
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Thai Food
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
  • A Return to Cooking
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • Summer Cooking
  • Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague
New York Bell ich, bin ich Reiseführer München - Zeit für das Beste: Stadtführer mit Highlights, Wohlfühladressen und Sehenswürdigkeiten wie Viktualienmarkt, Odeonsplatz, Pinakothek, ... Seiten mit über 400 Fotos (German Edition) Journey Through Munich Food Of Germany