Start by marking “Deutsche Spezialitäten” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Deutsche Spezialitäten

Christine Metzger

Deutsche Spezialitäten

Food and culture are inexorably tied together. Culinaria reports on every aspect of a country's cuisine within the context of the people who created it. Profusely illustrated with spectacular photography and abundantly peppered with authentic recipes, these volumes are a treat for both the mind and the palate.

Published 2007 by Tandem (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Deutsche Spezialitäten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deutsche Spezialitäten

Cheri
Mar 12, 2011 Cheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite set of cookbooks. These are like travel guides. Each region is carefully explained, and the food that region is known for is detailed. The pictures are exquisite. The books are so heavy that I have to get them down off the shelf for my mom and put her at the dining room table (as she's too little to hold these in her lap)! In rating this, I realized I have not made any of the recipes in the Germany book, so I will have to give one a try soon. In general, I have much better pl ...more
Petra Eggs
This book is to die for. Not just the food or the fabulous mouth-watering photogaphy, it is a travelogue by food of Germany. Even if you aren't a cook (I'm not) you will be totally absorbed by this amazing book.
Jen
This book is REALLY great for learning about the regional variations of food in Germany. The stories about the foods, their origins, and how they are served are really well done, along with the photos. I consider this a cultural tour of Germany's food. However, the recipes aren't very detailed and don't work very well (and I live in Germany, so it's not a problem of getting the ingredients). For this reason, I use this as a reference only, and refer to other cookbooks for recipes.
Barb
Feb 15, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arrived... it's a big hardback coffee table style book

Beautiful photography, colorful insights, and mouth-watering recipes of one of my favorite cuisines. Something wonderful on every page. I will refer to this book frequently. I hope to find a good German Deli close by. My favorite Old Country deli in Palo Alto closed a few years back. =(.
Redsteve
A wonderful read. Not just a cookbook, but an account (by region) of all aspects of food in Germany: recipes, history, dining, culture, agriculture, food production, hunting/fishing and even the politics of food. Also useful as a travel guide for foodies. The recipes do presuppose a certain amount of cooking knowledge on the part of the reader.
Lara
Great cookbook! Each region of Germany has its own chapter including history, culture, and recipes that are central to that area. Great photographs too. I love it when a cookbook is more than just a dry compilation of recipes!
Marcus Sellers
Marcus Sellers rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Matthew Shifflett
Matthew Shifflett rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Mariana
Mariana rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2012
Hayley
Hayley rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2010
Dan Furtwengler
Dan Furtwengler rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2015
Vratislav
Vratislav rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2012
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2015
H L
H L rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2008
Aaron Cooper
Aaron Cooper rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2011
Redri9hthand
Redri9hthand rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2015
Allison Tharp
Allison Tharp rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Clover
Clover rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2009
Lia
Lia rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2012
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2013
bud goodwin
bud goodwin rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2007
NoBeatenPath
NoBeatenPath rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Ola
Ola rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2009
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
May 26, 2013
Kerrie
Kerrie rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2009
  • Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Quick and Easy Thai: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Man Walks into a Pub
  • A Return to Cooking
  • The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother
  • Meat: A Kitchen Education
  • The Lebanese Kitchen
  • Memories of a Cuban Kitchen
  • The German Cookbook: A Complete Guide to Mastering Authentic German Cooking
  • The Babbo Cookbook
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Garde Manger: The Art and Craft of the Cold Kitchen