Start by marking “The Tale of Benjamin Bunny” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Tale of Benjamin B...

Beatrix Potter

The Tale of Benjamin Bunny (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  10,151 ratings  ·  139 reviews

To celebrate Peter's birthday, Frederick Warne is publishing new editions of all 23 of Potter's original tales, which take the very first printings of Potter's works as their guide. The aim of these editions is to be as close as possible to Beatrix Potter's intentions while benefiting from modern printing and design techniques.

The colors and details of the watercolors in

Published 1904 by F. Warne, N.Y.

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Benjamin Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Benjamin Bunny

Paul Bryant
The tale of Benjamin Bunny as retold by Quentin Tarantino:

"Bring out the bunny."

"But the bunny's asleep."

"Well you'd best go wake him up then ."

Ronyell
Bunny

“The Tale of Benjamin Bunny” is the fourth book made in Beatrix Potter’s “Peter Rabbit” books and it is about how Peter’s cousin Benjamin convinces Peter to come to Mr. McGregor’s garden to get Peter’s clothes back. “The Tale of Benjamin Bunny” is a truly memorable follow up to the classic tale “Peter Rabbit.”

The book starts off with Benjamin Bunny watching Mr. and Mrs. McGregor going out for the day and he decided to get his cousin Peter to come along with him to Mr. McGregor’s garden to get P
GoldGato
Of all the Beatrix Potter books, this one is closest to modern life. Benjamin Bunny goes to visit his cousins who live with their single, widowed mother...who runs a shop selling rabbit-wool mittens she's knitted herself along with herbs and, ahem, "rabbit-tobacco".

Benjamin is streetwise (unlike his cousin Peter) and knows the ins and outs of stealing. He is moving fast into a life of crime, but he doesn't reckon with his old man, known as Old Benjamin Bunny. Papa bunny is the Clint Eastwood of
Gail
Ah, this book made me glad I was reading them all in order of publication. This is book 4, and for the first time, characters from a previous books turn up! We learn a bit more about Peter Rabbit's widowed mother, for instance - she makes a living selling, among other things, rabbit tobacco (known as lavender to us oblivious humans!). Benjamin Bunny is Peter Rabbit's cousin, and even more mischievous than him. Peter is still unwell (and without clothes - wearing a hankerchief to hide his nakedne ...more
Jonathan
(Spoiler alert).Benjamin Bunny comes to the rescue of his forlorn cousin Peter Rabbit, having discovered him sans jacket and shoes, but covering his modesty with a rather fetching pocket handkerchief (human- rather than rabbit-sized). With the clothes-stealing Mr McGregor absent (no doubt at the bank where he is hoping to extend his loan to cover his food losses), they sneak paramilitary style into his garden, where Peter's clothes have been requisitioned as part of a scarecrow to combat the the ...more
Leah
Beatrix Potter is a charming story teller to little ones with sweet illustrations. I didn't know about Benjamin Bunny, and while it had a good enough resolution, it was sad to see little Peter Rabbit get strung along in mischief once more by his cousin. Ben was at ease the whole time confident in his mischief, but poor Peter was nervous and ready to leave and go straight home (as he should after his last time in the garden!). In the end Benjamin gets switched by his father for his naughtiness an ...more
Kaethe
This is not my favorite Potter, although that hat on the cover is awesome. The little books are so adorable, though.
Nick
Cute continuation of the Tale of Peter Rabbit. My daughter was disappointed that Mr. McGregor didn't make much of a showing in this one, but his cat did. Peter's naughty little cousin, Benjamin, decides that they need to rescue Peter's clothes from Mr. McGregor's garden.

There really wasn't as much suspense in this one as Peter, but it was still as nice little story with beautiful pictures.
Erica
This story follows "The Tale of Peter Rabbit". Peter's cousin Benjamin Bunny is hopping along when he sees a pony go by with the farmer and his wife. He continues hopping and comes upon his widowed Aunt's rabbit hole. Outside of the hole is sitting Peter, but he is missing his coat and shoes because the farmer had stolen them. Benjamin convinces Peter that they should go to the garden and retrieve his clothes. He tells Peter that he is sure that the farmer and his wife will be gone all day. They ...more
Mrbrudney44
"The Tale of Benjamin Bunny" is a splendid fantasy book for children. The classic tale will enthrall children and capture their attention nicely. Beatrix Potter's beautiful illustrations shine in this book, thanks to modern printing techniques that restore her original watercolors to their original splendor. Even if some children cannot actually read the entire text, they certainly will enjoy following along using the eye-catching and colorful illustrations.

The book describes the adventures of
Saashya Rodrigo
If I remember right, this book taught me what 'consequence' meant. After reading it years later, only now do I realize the humour in 'rabbit tobacco' being lavender. What could be cuter than that! That's proof that you're never too old for some Beatrix Potter classics!
I think all children should be introduced to this series. It's simple and exciting and you'll always learn new words.
Dolly
Apr 26, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
A classic story from Beatrix Potter. I don't remember these from my childhood and I've found that they are much too wordy and mature for the youngest audiences and much too childish for the older ones. I'm not sure who the perfect audience is, but I like the stories myself.
Sam
Beautifully written and illustrated tale telling of Benjamin Bunny and his cousin's, Peter Rabbit, exploits in Mr McGregor's garden. Potter brings the story and characters to life with her writing and illustrations appealling to adults and children alike.
Elaine
Cute bunnies! Oh Benjamin Bunny was naughty too, he dragged Peter this time to do some naughty things! Haha i love the drawings!!
Somerandom
Ahh the mischievous Benny Bunny and his misadventures with his cousin. This tale takes place immediately after the Tale of Peter Rabbit. Which is probably why the crisscrossed adaption had the smoothest transition in the TV series.

Benjamin, unlike his cousin Peter, is very street wise and manages to teach Peter the ins and outs of getting into Mr McGregor's farm, after he and the Mrs go out to town.

Peter, having sort of learned his lesson from the previous tale, is less enthusiastic than his cou
Jocelin
Not as good as The Story of Peter Rabbit. It felt little phoned in.
Eduard
Read as part of The Beatrix Potter Collection: Volume One

A direct sequel to Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny is about Peter and Benjamin, yet again stealing from Mr McGregor's garden.

And you'd think Peter had enough.

Long story short: Benjamin and Peter get in trouble with the McGregor cat leaving Mr Bunny(Benjamin's father and a badass bunny who smokes a pipe of rabbit-tobacco)to save the day. He kicks the cat's butt, rescues both Peter and Benjamin and finally, punishes them both.

I found it to be
Jeremy (Inklingstime)
I've read the Tale of Peter Rabbit a while ago. It was nice, but I think I prefer this sequel. In my opinion, the tale of Benjamin Bunny was less predictable than the one of Peter Rabbit.

As always I liked the drawings. Especially those of the rabbits are truly beautiful. I even prefer them to many of those modern picture books.

Now, I really liked Benjamin Bunny. He was funny, whereas naughty Peter from the first story turned into a scared one. Although I do get why that is. After all, he only j
Stephanie
The action in The Tale of Benjamin Bunny, by Beatrix Potter, takes place immediately after that in The Tale of Peter Rabbit. Benjamin, who is Peter's cousin, goes to visit Peter and finds him all wrapped up in a red handkerchief; Peter's clothes are missing, since he has lost them in Mr. McGregor's garden. Partially to escape his mother, who is very cross with him, and partially with a view to recovering his clothes, Peter reluctantly allows Benjamin to persuade him to visit the garden one more ...more
Gabrielle Robinson
Benjamin Bunny is helping his cousin Peter get his clothes back. All of Peters clothes were in a garden as a scarecrow. When they had finally found the clothes they spotted a cat and hid under a basket. The cat eventually passed out on the basket and the dad came to the rescue with a switch. The dad doesn't care about cats though so he just beat the cat, found Peter and beat him with the switch.
Andrea Davis
This book has a lot of old terminology and concepts today's younger children may not completely understand. Being so, it would probably be more geared towards 3rd or 4th graders. The illustrations are great, the story itself is beautifully written and holds strong themes throughout it. This book was good overall and interesting from being an older work, but wouldn't be in my top picks for teaching.
Barbara
a sweet story about how Benjamin and Peter sneak I to Mr McGregor's garden to get back Peters clothes. however once they have got what they came for Benjamin wants to stay and steal some onions for his aunt. They come into a but of trouble with the farm cat to be rescued by Benjamin's father. this little book has lovely pictures a sweet little story loved by all
E.  Talamante
This is a reduced, shortened tale, from the original Beatrix Potter stories, in a sturdy board book, cleverly shaped around Benjamin wearing a hat and standing in Farmer McGregor's garden. This is the best part of this version of the book.

Read the full review here:
Linda
Mr. McGregor must be at his wits end over these rascally rabbits! We had a wild cottontail living in our backyard last year. He was the most adorable creature for about a week. By then he had eaten all my flowers and had made his way to eating big patches of grass. I'm hoping he's still fat and sassy, being adorable in someone else's backyard.
Melle
Jun 30, 2014 Melle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who hang out with naughty kids?
This is a story about Benjamin Bunny who gets his cousin Peter Rabbit in trouble trying to rescue Peter's clothes from a scarecrow, steal food from the McGregors' garden, get trapped by a cat, then end up getting beaten with a switch by Benjamin Bunny's father.

Also, there is a cat-beating.

WTF, Trixie?
Meredith Links
I had to read this for my children's literature class. This written just as good at Peter Rabbit, but the character Benjamin is very flat and annoying and doesn't learn his lesson as much as Peter does. Benjamin is supposed to be the main character, but he just gets in the way of Peter's development.
Karen
This story tells you want happens after The Tale of Peter Rabbit. Hint, it is NOTHING like the television series on Nick Jr. The story is good, although somewhat dated, and the illustrations are also good, but not as charming as the originals.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars, but I round up.
Elaine Shipley-pope
The Tale of Benjamin Bunny is basically a continuation of The Tale of Peter Rabbit. Peter's cousin Benjamin convinces Peter to go back and get his coat and shoes that were left behind in the garden but things go wrong when they are trapped by a cat. Its a simple tale about another naughty rabbit. Both of my kids enjoyed it as a bedtime story.
Rauf
Jul 24, 2009 Rauf rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
This is a sequel to Peter Rabbit. Peter's cousin, Benjamin Bunny, managed to convince Peter to go back to Mr. McGregor's vegetable garden to get his (Peter's) coat back.
In the previous book Peter lost his coat when he tried to escape from McGregor.
Once they were there, however, Benjamin couldn't stop gorging on the veggies. Then the Cat showed up and chased the two rabbits. Just when they thought they were trapped forever, Benjamin's father showed up and saved them.

I rated it with 5 shiny
  • A Bargain for Frances
  • Flower Fairies of the Summer
  • Curious George Flies a Kite
  • The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)
  • Thumbelina
  • Rumpelstiltskin
  • Little Fur Family
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC (Beginner Books B-30)
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit
  • The Story of Miss Moppet
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher