DEATH NOTE (1) in Japanese

DEATH NOTE (1) in Japanese (Death Note #1)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  81,095 ratings  ·  1,389 reviews

Best selling VIZ series Death Note, Volume 1 now reissued in an amazing fan-desirable collector's edition! Special edition features larger trim, sturdy deluxe hardcover binding and protective dust cover. Both new and collector fans will admire this handsome edition.

Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects - and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changes w

Comic, 191 pages
Published April 2nd 2004 by Shueisha (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about DEATH NOTE (1) in Japanese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DEATH NOTE (1) in Japanese

Choco
Update: I said I should watch the series again, for a more accurate review now because it has been so long, right? I started it. Haha... hahaaa... I don't know what I'm doing with myself. It'll be a little slow, so be patient with me, but I'll try to remember to include links here.
Intro post.

Death Note as a series, I would probably rate at 2.5.

I have a very long review somewhere on my computer, but I'll have to shorten it or cut it down into different parts for all the volumes. I'll figure it...more
Kira
Sep 04, 2011 Kira rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bitchin' peeps
Recommended to Kira by: my bitchin' peeps
Seth Hahne
Nov 01, 2007 Seth Hahne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pretty much anyone
Shelves: comics
Over the past three weeks I've been burning through one of the most exciting reads I've come across in a while. Death Note is a seat-edged battle of wits that left me exhausted by the end. Heck, I was exhausted by the halfway mark.

Let me start over. Death Note is a Japanese comic that tells it's story over the course of twelve volumes (on display now at your local Borders). If what I'm about to say sounds good but you don't feel like spending the eight dollars per volume, head to your local libr...more
Emily May
4.5
When I wrote in my review of Battle Royale that there were only two manga series I would recommend, it made me realise just how much in need of a review this was. I am not a manga fan, I know some people love it like crazy, but I've tried starting the most commonly loved - Naruto, InuYasha, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc. - and been left believing that I would never appreciate these Japanese graphic novels. Death Note was a complete accident which I found one day whilst browsing youtube. I ran into...more
Merary
Once upon a time, there was a young, intelligent man who had it all: Excellent grades (in fact, he was number one in all of Japan), a loving family, popularity, friends, good looks (really good looks! That boy is just too pretty!), a great body, and girls wanting to fu—um, I mean—date him.
But, there was only one teensy, tiny problem:
He was so fucking bored, y’all!

But, everything changed when a mysterious notebook dropped from the sky (Whoosh!) and landed outside his school. The young man notice...more
Caris
Manga. It’s weird.

First off, you have to read the book backwards. I thought this was going to be difficult, but, barring a couple of confusing missteps, it wasn’t too bad. You eventually fall into a rhythm and know where to read. As a result of this experience, I feel confident that I can read Hebrew.

I’ve never been a fan of the manga/anime art style. And I’m still not. For me, it’s visually uninteresting. That makes it kind of difficult to stay engaged.

And then there were those parts that I kn...more
Sheila Ruth
Death Note was my first manga, and I enjoyed it rather more than I thought I would. Although the premise sounds quite macabre, this isn't a book about "killing people," as would seem from the description. The pleasure in reading Death Note comes from watching the battle of wits between two brilliant minds, Light and L, as each tries to find out the identity of the other. The book also raises interesting philosophical questions, such as, is it wrong to kill criminals who have committed horrible c...more
Shinjini
It’s funny how I started reading this book due to immense boredom. I wanted to experiment with the manga genre and so I got on the internet to look for some good mangas. Then I found this. I’d already heard a bit about Death Note, thanks to a few of my anime-crazy friends. The anime series is immensely popular and most people who have never watched an anime before are acting like anime experts because they've seen this particular one. I haven’t seen a single episode so I decided I’ll start readi...more
Jonathan
The power of Death in your hands? What would you do with it? Would just ignore it or would you use it to rid the world of evil?
In this manga, Light Yagami is a regular high school student who stumbles upon a notebook. Not just any plain notebook but the Death Note. He then uses the Death Note to rid the world of all evil.
The story is one of the best I ever read. When you hold this manga and start reading it, you will start shaking in the suspense it has.
The characters in Death Note are very int...more
Veronica Morfi
Rating: 5/5

It's been a long time since I watched half of the anime episodes of Death Note. Ever since then, I knew it'd come a time when I will pick up the manga and actually finish the story. I am so excited to get back into the Death Note world. Here is a quick intro to the story.

A Shinigami, or death god, drops his Death Note in the human world, mainly because he is bored, and a japanese teenager, Light, picks it up. Light is not your average kid, on the outside he is an exremely bright stude...more
Beth
This series has read like a supernatural Sherlock told from Moriarity's POV....more
Anila
Cillian, Ryuk, don't hurt me please.

It's better than I expected. Even after hearing the above mentioned Goodreaders raving about it, I was wary. This is one of those series that is ridiculously effing famous and popular and from a distance, frankly, it doesn't look too good. (I still don't like the art, but I digress.) I guess this sounds hypocritical, after all my raving and ranting about Fullmetal Alchemist, doesn't it? But I had sworn never to touch InuYasha, One Piece, Naruto, or Death Note...more
Fuzzy Gerdes
I've been hearing a lot about this manga (which is also an anime and a live action movie, now) so I took the opportunity at Erica's cousins' to read Volume 1. So, yes, I can understand the appeal to high school misfits -- Japanese high schooler Light Yagami finds a "Death Note" dropped by a Shinigami ("death god") and decides to use the powers of the note to cleanse the earth of evil doers. Half the book reads like a late night 'philosophical' discussion as Light tests the increasingly detailed...more
Caroline
There's a lot of hype surrounding the Death Note series, especially since Adult Swim started airing the anime adaptation of it. I'm always a bit reluctant to join in on the crazes like this, but figured I'd give it a shot when my husband was really enjoying the twists and turns of the anime.

I was really happy with how well-done the story is so far! It really sucked me right in and the protagonist, Light Yagami is pretty interesting to watch. Definitely enjoying this series.
Sam Quixote
Death Note is trashy good fun. That’s basically all you need to know going in. The writing and plotting is borderline retarded though the concept is completely enthralling so while I couldn’t put the book down, I was constantly aware of how dumb things played out or were set up – and I loved it, this book is hilarious! Tsugumi Ohba is definitely an ideas man though - as a writer he’s mediocre at best, kind of like a manga Dan Brown.

But I’m jumping ahead of the gloriously high concept plot! Ligh...more
Saniya(Will Herondale is mine)
May 27, 2013 Saniya(Will Herondale is mine) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Great people who want to be mind fucked.
Shelves: favorites
This is mind fucking, but still.

I, I just love Death Note. So, so much.

I must be cray cray, but I love Light Yagami more than L, even though I know L is correct and there should be justice. But I feel for Light. Even though he would kill and use me too in an instance. (Gosh, I am crazy.) But I believe that Light was a good guy and if he haven't gotten that Death Note in the first place, he would have been the most kick-ass Detective ever. :'(
I loved the anime. And the Manga didn't disappoint me...more
Joyzi
Nov 21, 2011 Joyzi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Shonen
Recommended to Joyzi by: Crunchyroll
I read it in my nook. Isn't that sweet? I really like the manga but I like the anime better simply because the english translation sucks and there's a lot of similarities between the anime and the manga so I pretty much know what'll happen.

___________________________________________________________________
This is my most favorite anime of all time. It even beat up Ouran High School Host Club, Code Geass, Ghost Hunt, RomeoxJuliet etc. This anime change my life...seriously. I even remember being...more
Michael
I watched the film many years ago and loved it, the premise and the twists and turns. The book is fantastic and I couldn't stop reading it once I started, finishing the book and then buying the next two in the series. I love the attention to detail in manga and the quality of the writing also. A great concept.
Michael
one of the known fault lines in human consciousness is that between idealism and realism, the abstract and the applied, the ideal and real. I'm a theoretician. I still read theoretical abstractions prseentened on GR, but my uncaring nondevotion to non-keyboardish stmashups of gibberish english are a major detraction to my non-fans. and this GR entry still diverges into nonsense territory. I can't be bothered to correct typos, and that is price of entry. that is price of entry.

sometimes you have...more
Nancy
I heard about this from NPR and thought the premise sounded interesting. I don't normally read comics or graphic novels - I find it really hard to pay attention to pictures. I liked this book much more than I thought I would. The story is cool, and I was sorry not to have Book 2 when I finished the first one. But the writing is disappointing. It services the plot in the most minimal way possible. I guess that's the tradition of comics, though. Still, the characters could have had more distinct v...more
Jenn (One of Many, We are Legion)
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

My boyfriend of 8 years is a huge manga fan. Before I met him, I wrote off manga and anime (and most comics, to be honest) as silly, cartoonish books/shows for kids. I don't really know why, since I quite liked certain comics when I was younger, but I really had very little exposure to the genre, and I had no exposure to manga. He had for a long time been trying to get me to watch anime with him, but I would just laugh at him wondering how on earth he thought I...more
Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction}
"The human whose name is written in the Death Note shall die."

Death Note is perfect. It's intelligent, brilliant and simply the kind of book which requires you to put your copy down every once in a while and go-"Sheeet." And Death Note has plenty of those moments. Light and Lawliet(L the awesome detective, I'm currently X-ing with Light...) are the best in their fields, human geniuses who don't ever want to lose or be outspoken. The fact that they both want to seek out their targets, who are mys...more
Matt Garcia
This was my first manga and I have to say that the story was decent. I'm just not a huge fan of the right to left reading style and the artwork was subpar in my opinion. I also found the dialogue and writing,in general, to be agonizingly simplistic and a bit juvenile. However, it is not a bad read by any means just not what I am used to or what I like to read. Overall, interesting concept that is deservingly very popular with manga fans.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Manga is one of those genres I typically avoid, but a goal for 2013 was to try something I normally wouldn't. After loads of amazing recommendations, I settled on Death Note.

Turns out, that was a good choice. Great characters, interesting story, brisk, exciting pace. Not sure I'll be joking head-first into manga and I won't be buying the whole Death Note line (2014's goal is to reduce book spending and read only my own books), but if you are interested in checking out Mangas, this...more
Circus Princess
Honestly, I think I would do the same as Light if I was in his position. I know he's actually such of a villain... but I think if done justly, there are some key people who live only to take others down with them. I can see exactly where he's coming from.

On a lighter note:

(view spoiler)
Tariq Alferis
‎“لا يوجد من البشر من لم يكذب ابداً، لا احد من الناس يستطيع ان يكون مثالياً، الكل يكذب.”

‎عندما يجتمع الفكر والفلسفة والدين والخيال والمتعة في المجلات الهزلية ، عندما تخبر صديق ان المانجا فيه كم هائل من الحكمة والمتعة والفلسفة يقولك علي طول ‫…‬تي هي رسوم متحركة ‫"‬حول بالك‫"‬
‎تكمن فكرة الرسوم المتحركة عند اغلبية الناس مثل ‫"‬ماركو ، بطوط وبعض رسومات شركة ديزني ، المناجا والانمي تختلف كليا ، المانجا مبنية علي فكرة يتم توصيلها بطريقة رسوم هزلية ‫…‬

‎فكرة ‫"‬مفكرة الموت‫"‬ رائعة ، المميز في الانمي ا
Sakura
This was my very first psychological series and to me, despite how mainstream it has gotten over the years, I still think that it's pretty darn good.

If you've never read a good psychological/thriller manga before, then this would be a great one to start with (granted that it sounds interesting to you and you're not just picking it up because it's under the popular Shounen Jump label).

It's definitely different from the majority of Shonen Jump series in that it's not all about action, fighting sam...more
Cindy
First time reading manga - for my book challenge. Even though it's in English, you read it back to front and follow right to left!
_____________

I've read a few graphic novels and graphic memoirs, both of which have captivated me with the intersection of writing and graphics. Really good ones tell part of the story not just through images but also through their layout on the page. It can be mind-blowing and brain-bending when done well.

This is the first time I've tried manga, and I'm quite disappo...more
Mochacocafan
Few mangas are this complicated, philosophical or ruthlessly harsh. Light Yagami (Yagami Raito, GO [Generation Otaku:] freaks here :P) a high school valedictorian, finds a notebook dropped to the earth. He reads the instructions, all in English, and discovers he can kill anyone in the world just by knowing their name and face. What does he do now?

Instead of going into detail of the plot, let me just examine Light before the series begins. In the first manga page, he is sitting, hand folded unde...more
Ferdy
4.5 stars - Spoilers

This is the first manga I've ever read. I was reluctant to start Death Note because for some reason I didn't think it would entertain me. Thankfully, it was extremely enjoyable, it's probably one of the best things I've read in months. There are twelve volumes in total and I'm definitely going to try and get my hands on each of them.

I adored the concept, I've not read anything quite like it before. It begins when a Shinigami (a Japanese death god) called Ryuk drops his Death...more
Who's name would you write in the Death note 29 120 Aug 15, 2014 04:28AM
Who is the best character in death note? 61 167 Jul 04, 2014 09:43AM
Books Are Life: May 2014: *Death Note*: Vols.1&2 1 3 Apr 25, 2014 10:50PM
Reading Everythin...: Death Note, Vol.1 Boredom 1 2 Mar 16, 2014 01:48AM
How different is the manga compared to the anime? 1 24 Jan 23, 2014 03:32PM
How do you do a picture for your avatar thingy???!!! 3 22 Nov 04, 2013 08:15PM
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 07 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Bleach Volume 08: The Blade and Me (Bleach #8)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 03: The Rewinding City (D.Gray-man, #3)
  • Naruto, Vol. 12: The Great Flight (Naruto, #12)
1978
Tsugumi Ohba (大場 つぐみ Ōba Tsugumi?, born in Tokyo, Japan) is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ohba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is speculation th...more
More about Tsugumi Ohba...
Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2) Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3) Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4) Death Note, Vol. 8: Target (Death Note, #8) Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5)

“Start looking around you... and all you see are people the world would be better off without.” 135 likes
“The name of the human who is written in this note shall die.” 98 likes