Start by marking “The Martian General's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Martian General's Daughter

The Martian General's Daughter

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Welcome to the End of Empire.

Set over two hundred years from now, in a world very much like Imperial Rome, this is the story of General Peter Black, the last decent man, as told through the eyes of his devoted (and illegitimate) daughter, Justa.

Raised on battlefields, more comfortable in the company of hard men of war than with women or other children, Justa must keep the
Published April 1st 2008 by Pyr

To ask other readers questions about The Martian General's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Martian General's Daughter

Jacob
In the late 23rd century, the Pan-Polarian Empire reigns supreme. Covering most of the northern hemisphere of Earth, with colonies on Mars and the moons of Jupiter, the Empire knows no rivals and fears no enemies, until a mysterious metal-corroding plague begins to destroy the empire’s technology. As territories fall and borders shrink, the great Emperor Mathias the Glistening also succumbs to the plague, and the empire passes to his son, Luke Anthony--whose disastrous rule is anything but benev ...more
Robert
A dystopian tale of a devoted daughter who watches the empire her father is pledged to protect crumble and burn to dust and ashes.
Chris
Unfortunately I was sorely disappointed in Judson's The Martian General's Daughter. Despite this theoretically being a novel about the fall of an empire, whereas Fitzpatrick's War was supposedly about the rise of an empire, this short novel actually seems like nothing more than leftover material from his first book, despite there not being any allusion to this being the same empire as was founded in the first book.

I was somewhat glad to see a female persona in this novel, something that was lack
Rob
While I would not rate this one as high as his previous work, Fitzpatrick's War, it was a fairly decent read provided your tastes run to political science fiction.

S.M. Stirling writes that it is a "A witty, learned, amusing, and sometimes moving retelling of ancient truths ...". The only part of this I question is amusing. I found this to be a thinking persons read and not very amusing at all, though there were a few humorous scenes. This was a sad tale, as the back cover blurb will tell you, of
Greg
Again, Judson’s story takes place in futuristic Victorian age and focuses on the Pan-Polarian Empire. Not as good as Fitzpatrick’s War but it follows the same story of empire and how it corrupts those involved in it. More work could have been put into some of the other characters (Justa and General Peter Black are well done though), especially Luke Anthony, the Caligula-like emperor, who you only ever see the sadistic side of. Not as well developed as Isaac Fitzpatrick, the crazed emperor from J ...more
Ramberto
John Strohm
This book is supposed to be a retelling of the fall of Rome, with a general technological collapse aiding the general collapse of society. Chapters alternate between the "present day" at the end of the empire, and some years before, when one particularly terrible emperor reigned. The problem with flashbacks is that you know how things turn out. Judson fails to apply some twist to the backstory that causes you to think differently about the present -- it's just two straight stories that are broke ...more
JW
I'm not sure what's up with Theodore Judson. I read Fitzgerald's War (or was it Fitzpatrick's?)and while I like the writing, the protagonist was a pathetic, naive dolt. And a whoop ass war hero. I wrote in a prior review that Judson adapt Machiavelli's advice. A protagonist can be loved or hated, but he can not be despised.

He doesn't make that mistake here, although the protagonist(s) are no one's definition of a hero. The Martian General (who's not really from Mars) is approaching senility, the
Cam
Not as fun or original feeling as his "Fitzpatrick's War", but a similar feel of historical accounts looking backwards and forwards at events of imagined future history. Similar to the declining eras of Rome, a Marcus Aurelius-like Emperor of a transcontinental empire fails to appoint a proper successor and the last honorable General tries to be obedient and salvage what he can of the Empire at the same time. All sorts of thoughts on language, philosophy, warfare, technology & culture inform ...more
Stephen
Although the title gives you the impression that most of this book is about the daughter, it's more about her fascination for and personal envelopment by her father. A man who is entirely alone as he both a man of war, faith, and honor. The adjective "martian" has less to do with the general's eventual position before seeking the title of emporer, and more to do with the alienation and sense of "other" that embodies the man.

As a Christian, the author portrayed an interesting speculation on the
Ken Hernandez
It was on a 50 cent rack at a book store. I got because its supposed to be a book of "strategies, and vile politics". "a stirring military adventure". At least according to the back of the book cover.

( off topic: why do we buy a book based on what the publisher says on the back cover page? Its almost as bad as buying a book for its cover! Lol)

anyway, it's short enough that I read it in one sitting. It was ok. As bit of strategy, a bit of vile politics. a George Martin book it was not.

It was a
Jake
May 25, 2008 Jake rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Judson has followed up 'Fizpatrick's War' with another alternate future story about empire. The book actually feels a bit like a prequel to his previous effort. The Martian Generals daughter is a story about the end of an empire, in the case the 'Pan-Polarian' rather than Fitzpatricks Yukons. While Fitz was a take on Alexander the great this is the story of Romes dissolution.

I enjoyed it, although not nearly as much. It really suffers a bit from 'more of the same' syndrome in some ways. I would
Ben Mcnamara
Excellent idea, poor execution.

The writing was passive, list-like and often an info-dump. After finishing two chapters, I felt nothing for the book or characters besides a desire to put it down, despite the markings of an intriguing plot. It reads, to me, like the outline of a novel.

I may try this again some other time - If I force myself further into it, the plot might grip me for the ride. But it is the kind of thing I’ll need to set aside a day to read - because one I have to put it down, t
Bill
An entertainig book of the future.
Luke
Despite a promising premiere in "Fitzpatrick's War" which turned the life of Alexander the Great into a charmingly bitter MilSF satire, this thinner adaptation of the "Time of the Five Emperors" lacks the richness in realization and exploitation of genre convention. It drags in places and tends to go for perversity for the sake of perversity. Most problematically, Judson struggles to develop a female voice that isn't stilted and stale, and fails.
Brian
Told from the point of view of the titular daughter, this book regales the final death throws of an empire bloated with decadence and corruption. The main character, the general, is perhaps the last honest man, a true believer of the empire and all its ideals. Although set in the future, technology doesn't play a roll in the telling. Or rather, this book could have taken place while Nero fiddled and Rome burned.
Jon
Like Judson's previous effort Fitzpatrick's War, this is a "future history" of a technologically-regressed Earth. It's well-written and has an interesting setting, but the story lacks a certain "oomph" that would make it a page turner and a 5-star effort.
Brendon
For a second time, Judson has written a very engaging sci/fi book that is a thinly veiled allegory for the fall of the Roman empire. Fitzpatrick's War is vastly superior, but this book is not without its charms.
Alicia
This was an enjoyable read. I felt sympathy for the characters, even as they harmed themselves or each other. The ending was also satisfying, a must for me to receive it favorably.
Donna Jo Atwood
More the story of the General than his daughter. This is a 23rd century, history revisited look at what might happen. I kept seeing bits of I, Claudius in this.
Pretty good
Patrick Elsey
The creation of an interesting world but it didn't spend enough time with it to really deal with the issues. Could have been more indepth
Andrew
Not quite as good as Judson's debut "Fitzpatrick's War", but still a very entertaining and well written 'future history'.
Barbara
Jul 17, 2008 Barbara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
It just did not hold my interest. Seemed well written. Maybe another day it will grab me, but not right now.
Joe
A small disappointment after Fitzpatrick War [which was really good].
I can't recommend this one.
Susan
Jul 23, 2008 Susan added it
Couldn't get into it so I stopped reading after 20 pages. Maybe some other time.
Josh
Apr 02, 2012 Josh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: future
dialogue was a little weak, but Judson did a great job at fully painting the world.
Betsey
the writing was fine, but the story was extremely mediocre.
terry
terry marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Eldorankin
Eldorankin marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
  • The Adventures of Langdon St. Ives
  • Thomas Riley
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith #1)
  • MultiReal (Jump 225, #2)
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
  • The Patron Saint of Plagues
  • The Memory Cathedral: A Secret History of Leonardo Da Vinci
  • The Time Roads
  • Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution
  • Digging for the Truth: One Man's Epic Adventure Exploring the World's Greatest Archaeological Mysteries
  • Best Sex Writing 2012: The State of Today's Sexual Culture
  • The Complete Fuzzy (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1-3)
  • Flaming Zeppelins: The Adventures of Ned the Seal
  • Mind Over Ship
  • The Quiet War
  • Principles of Angels
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
Fitzpatrick's War Hell Can Wait Tom Wedderbum's Life