Start by marking “The Martian General's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Martian General's Daughter

The Martian General's Daughter

Welcome to the End of Empire.

Set over two hundred years from now, in a world very much like Imperial Rome, this is the story of General Peter Black, the last decent man, as told through the eyes of his devoted (and illegitimate) daughter, Justa.

Raised on battlefields, more comfortable in the company of hard men of war than with women or other children, Justa must keep the
Published April 1st 2008 by Pyr

To ask other readers questions about The Martian General's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Martian General's Daughter

Jacob
Oct 03, 2008 Jacob rated it liked it
In the late 23rd century, the Pan-Polarian Empire reigns supreme. Covering most of the northern hemisphere of Earth, with colonies on Mars and the moons of Jupiter, the Empire knows no rivals and fears no enemies, until a mysterious metal-corroding plague begins to destroy the empire’s technology. As territories fall and borders shrink, the great Emperor Mathias the Glistening also succumbs to the plague, and the empire passes to his son, Luke Anthony--whose disastrous rule is anything but benev ...more
Chris
Mar 29, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok
Unfortunately I was sorely disappointed in Judson's The Martian General's Daughter. Despite this theoretically being a novel about the fall of an empire, whereas Fitzpatrick's War was supposedly about the rise of an empire, this short novel actually seems like nothing more than leftover material from his first book, despite there not being any allusion to this being the same empire as was founded in the first book.

I was somewhat glad to see a female persona in this novel, something that was lack
John Strohm
Dec 04, 2013 John Strohm rated it it was ok
This book is supposed to be a retelling of the fall of Rome, with a general technological collapse aiding the general collapse of society. Chapters alternate between the "present day" at the end of the empire, and some years before, when one particularly terrible emperor reigned. The problem with flashbacks is that you know how things turn out. Judson fails to apply some twist to the backstory that causes you to think differently about the present -- it's just two straight stories that are broke ...more
Ken Hernandez
Jun 30, 2013 Ken Hernandez rated it it was ok
It was on a 50 cent rack at a book store. I got because its supposed to be a book of "strategies, and vile politics". "a stirring military adventure". At least according to the back of the book cover.

( off topic: why do we buy a book based on what the publisher says on the back cover page? Its almost as bad as buying a book for its cover! Lol)

anyway, it's short enough that I read it in one sitting. It was ok. As bit of strategy, a bit of vile politics. a George Martin book it was not.

It was a
Ben Mcnamara
Mar 12, 2013 Ben Mcnamara rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
Excellent idea, poor execution.

The writing was passive, list-like and often an info-dump. After finishing two chapters, I felt nothing for the book or characters besides a desire to put it down, despite the markings of an intriguing plot. It reads, to me, like the outline of a novel.

I may try this again some other time - If I force myself further into it, the plot might grip me for the ride. But it is the kind of thing I’ll need to set aside a day to read - because one I have to put it down, t
Luke
May 03, 2010 Luke rated it it was ok
Despite a promising premiere in "Fitzpatrick's War" which turned the life of Alexander the Great into a charmingly bitter MilSF satire, this thinner adaptation of the "Time of the Five Emperors" lacks the richness in realization and exploitation of genre convention. It drags in places and tends to go for perversity for the sake of perversity. Most problematically, Judson struggles to develop a female voice that isn't stilted and stale, and fails.
Robert
Jul 21, 2010 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x2009-10-season
A dystopian tale of a devoted daughter who watches the empire her father is pledged to protect crumble and burn to dust and ashes.
Patrick Elsey
Jun 17, 2013 Patrick Elsey rated it it was ok
The creation of an interesting world but it didn't spend enough time with it to really deal with the issues. Could have been more indepth
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 I.F. Adams rated it it was ok
A futuristic quasi-roman empire in the throes of a slow collapse. Tedious and disappointing after the amazing "Fitzpatricks War"
Rob
Apr 14, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it
While I would not rate this one as high as his previous work, Fitzpatrick's War, it was a fairly decent read provided your tastes run to political science fiction.

S.M. Stirling writes that it is a "A witty, learned, amusing, and sometimes moving retelling of ancient truths ...". The only part of this I question is amusing. I found this to be a thinking persons read and not very amusing at all, though there were a few humorous scenes. This was a sad tale, as the back cover blurb will tell you, of
Greg
May 23, 2008 Greg rated it liked it
Again, Judson’s story takes place in futuristic Victorian age and focuses on the Pan-Polarian Empire. Not as good as Fitzpatrick’s War but it follows the same story of empire and how it corrupts those involved in it. More work could have been put into some of the other characters (Justa and General Peter Black are well done though), especially Luke Anthony, the Caligula-like emperor, who you only ever see the sadistic side of. Not as well developed as Isaac Fitzpatrick, the crazed emperor from J ...more
Katrinia17
Dec 15, 2016 Katrinia17 rated it it was ok
I had issues with awkward sentences. There were many run-on sentences and long sentences that made you lose your train of thought. Some information came so late in the book and at times there was information overkill. I hated the jumping around of the places as I felt things/setting wasn't fully established to the reader. Lucky, the condition of the world and the reason behind it is, just not all the locations. Maybe it is the jumping from past to present that is so confusing. I also wished that ...more
Ramberto
Feb 15, 2009 Ramberto rated it really liked it
JW
Jun 11, 2008 JW rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm not sure what's up with Theodore Judson. I read Fitzgerald's War (or was it Fitzpatrick's?)and while I like the writing, the protagonist was a pathetic, naive dolt. And a whoop ass war hero. I wrote in a prior review that Judson adapt Machiavelli's advice. A protagonist can be loved or hated, but he can not be despised.

He doesn't make that mistake here, although the protagonist(s) are no one's definition of a hero. The Martian General (who's not really from Mars) is approaching senility, the
Stephen
Jun 03, 2009 Stephen rated it really liked it
Although the title gives you the impression that most of this book is about the daughter, it's more about her fascination for and personal envelopment by her father. A man who is entirely alone as he both a man of war, faith, and honor. The adjective "martian" has less to do with the general's eventual position before seeking the title of emporer, and more to do with the alienation and sense of "other" that embodies the man.

As a Christian, the author portrayed an interesting speculation on the
Cam
Nov 29, 2011 Cam rated it liked it
Shelves: read-sci-fi
Not as fun or original feeling as his "Fitzpatrick's War", but a similar feel of historical accounts looking backwards and forwards at events of imagined future history. Similar to the declining eras of Rome, a Marcus Aurelius-like Emperor of a transcontinental empire fails to appoint a proper successor and the last honorable General tries to be obedient and salvage what he can of the Empire at the same time. All sorts of thoughts on language, philosophy, warfare, technology & culture inform ...more
Chelsea
Oct 10, 2015 Chelsea rated it liked it
I would have given this book four stars but for the ending. The ending seemed a bit glossed over and incongruent with the rest of the story. (view spoiler) ...more
Jake
Mar 19, 2008 Jake rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Judson has followed up 'Fizpatrick's War' with another alternate future story about empire. The book actually feels a bit like a prequel to his previous effort. The Martian Generals daughter is a story about the end of an empire, in the case the 'Pan-Polarian' rather than Fitzpatricks Yukons. While Fitz was a take on Alexander the great this is the story of Romes dissolution.

I enjoyed it, although not nearly as much. It really suffers a bit from 'more of the same' syndrome in some ways. I would
Brian
Aug 14, 2010 Brian rated it liked it
Told from the point of view of the titular daughter, this book regales the final death throws of an empire bloated with decadence and corruption. The main character, the general, is perhaps the last honest man, a true believer of the empire and all its ideals. Although set in the future, technology doesn't play a roll in the telling. Or rather, this book could have taken place while Nero fiddled and Rome burned.
Brendon
Mar 04, 2010 Brendon rated it liked it
For a second time, Judson has written a very engaging sci/fi book that is a thinly veiled allegory for the fall of the Roman empire. Fitzpatrick's War is vastly superior, but this book is not without its charms.
Jon
Dec 05, 2010 Jon rated it really liked it
Like Judson's previous effort Fitzpatrick's War, this is a "future history" of a technologically-regressed Earth. It's well-written and has an interesting setting, but the story lacks a certain "oomph" that would make it a page turner and a 5-star effort.
Donna Jo Atwood
More the story of the General than his daughter. This is a 23rd century, history revisited look at what might happen. I kept seeing bits of I, Claudius in this.
Pretty good
Alicia
May 25, 2009 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was an enjoyable read. I felt sympathy for the characters, even as they harmed themselves or each other. The ending was also satisfying, a must for me to receive it favorably.
Andrew
May 19, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as Judson's debut "Fitzpatrick's War", but still a very entertaining and well written 'future history'.
Bill
Nov 04, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it
An entertainig book of the future.
Barb in Maryland
Jul 09, 2008 Barb in Maryland rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
It just did not hold my interest. Seemed well written. Maybe another day it will grab me, but not right now.
Susan
Jun 28, 2008 Susan added it
Couldn't get into it so I stopped reading after 20 pages. Maybe some other time.
Joe
Sep 18, 2012 Joe rated it it was ok
A small disappointment after Fitzpatrick War [which was really good].
I can't recommend this one.
Betsey
Oct 12, 2008 Betsey rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, fiction
the writing was fine, but the story was extremely mediocre.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Adventures of Langdon St. Ives
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Thomas Riley
  • Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith #1)
  • The Patron Saint of Plagues
  • MultiReal (Jump 225, #2)
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
  • The Memory Cathedral: A Secret History of Leonardo Da Vinci
  • The Two-Space War
  • Flaming Zeppelins: The Adventures of Ned the Seal
  • Best Sex Writing 2012: The State of Today's Sexual Culture
  • The Age of the Pussyfoot
  • The Complete Fuzzy (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1-3)
  • Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel
  • The Probability Broach (North American Confederacy #1)
  • The Time Roads
  • Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)