Start by marking “Sacred Compass: The Way of Spiritual Discernment” as Want to Read:
Sacred Compass: The Way of Spiritual Discernment

Sacred Compass: The Way of Spiritual Discernment

Offering a fresh and deeper way to live a God-directed life that eschews simple spiritual solutions, this volume explains that discernment is unique to each person. The text leads the reader into a life of continuous experiences of God and of transformation.
Published April 1st 2008 by Paraclete Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Compass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Compass

Gloria Maria  Vazquez
Feb 08, 2015 Gloria Maria Vazquez rated it really liked it
J. Brent Hill is a Quaker pastor who has a gift for writing. Sacred Compass is chalked full of spiritual wisdom and insights.
Garland Vance
Brent Bill, a Quaker minister, writes to help individuals discover the spiritual practice of discernment. He begins by telling about the Quaker saying, "when way opens," which means the ability to discern when God opens a way for a person to move in a particular direction.
Too often, Christians base their decisions on what "feels" right or by using decision making practices that they have learned in their trade. These decision making tools are not wrong, but we have been given the Holy Spirit who
Kathryn White
May 10, 2014 Kathryn White rated it really liked it
J. Brent Bill in Sacred Compass: The Way of Spiritual Discernment uses Quakerism as a foundation to find, follow, and ultimately live a more God-directed life.

He acknowledges that much of life can feel unclear and unstable. And he affirms there are practices that can be used like a compass to help us in our uncertain moments to walk with and towards Divine wisdom.

One of these practices is Lectio divina which “is Latin for ‘divine reading.’ It’s a structured way of combining prayer and scriptura
Jeff
Jun 20, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dial in your sacred compass

This is not another mere "how to" book of guidance or spirituality. In this book the author lets us in on some of the ways of God's leading among us primarily looking to his own experience of paying attention to the "sacred compass" found in each one.
Jan
Dec 28, 2009 Jan added it
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Jan by: Found at IHS Book Fair
I loved this book. It is a wonderful book to help you on the road to finding out God's will for your life. I picked this up at the Indiana Historical Society's Annual Indiana Author Holiday Book signing. Unfortunately Brent Bill was ill and not able to attend, but the book looked intriguing to my daughter and me, so we picked it up! I am going to share it with everyone I know!
Paula
Dec 08, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it
Read this book for a small group study. Since I come from the same faith background as Brent (Quaker), much of the contents felt familiar. Still, it was good to be reminded that listening well trumps giving advice, and discernment isn't always about making decisions. Appreciated the "compass" motif. This will be a helpful book for many.
Megan
Nov 02, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
Really enjoyed this short and well written guide to spiritual discernment. The author is genuine, level headed, and funny. I loved the suggestions on the practical application of discernment! I also loved the quotes from other books - he definitely have me a few suggestions of things to read!
Darce
Dec 28, 2008 Darce rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Brent Bill's elegant and grounded writing about the life-long journey into spiritual discernment. His understanding of the process is informed by his experiences as a Quaker, however this book would be appreciated by people from a variety of spiritual traditions.
Karin
Jul 27, 2013 Karin rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Sweet and useful. I had to add all the books the author recommended to my Amazon wishlist. I have never been to a Quaker meeting but "the way" has always appealed to me.
Judy
Mar 07, 2013 Judy rated it liked it
I like his down to earth style and his honesty.
I've read the whole, short book at least three times. It was worth it.
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 20, 2013
Carrie Newcomer
Carrie Newcomer rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2013
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Milton
Milton rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2012
Penney
Penney rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2015
J. Brent Bill
Mar 07, 2008 J. Brent Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rohan Kallicharan
Rohan Kallicharan rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
Christine Sears
Christine Sears rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Ian Eastman
Ian Eastman rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Marianne Phillips
Marianne Phillips rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
J. Brent Bill
Nov 28, 2011 J. Brent Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Andrea Urena
Andrea Urena rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2013
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Mark J
Mark J rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2010
Rhahlene
Rhahlene rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Mark Lacy
Mark Lacy rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Carlos Santos
Carlos Santos rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Patrick O'Hearn
Patrick O'Hearn rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Brent Bill is a Quaker minister, photographer, and author. He is the author of many books and magazine articles. He lives in rural Indiana on Ploughshares Farm -- a wildlife retreat with woods and native prairie.

More about J. Brent Bill...