Start by marking “From Eve to Dawn: A History of Women in the World, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
From Eve to Dawn: A History of Women in the World, Vol. 1

From Eve to Dawn: A History of Women in the World, Vol. 1 (From Eve to Dawn #1)

Origins is the first of four volumes of a momental, readable, and unprecedented history of women throughout the world. The internationally celebrated author of The Women's Room, Marilyn French, spent over fifteen years with a team of researchers and prominent historians examining women's lives and activities in civilizations and societies spanning the ages.

Beginning in pre
Published April 1st 2008 by The Feminist Press at CUNY (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about From Eve to Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Eve to Dawn

Chris
Jul 11, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it

This first volume in the four volume work covers pre-recorded history as well as ancient civilizations - Greece, Rome, South America, and Sumer. Because of this some of what French writes is guesswork or conjunction – we cannot know how unhappy or miserable a marriage in ancient Greece was for instance; and how much is a some number versus a few number. But these are quibbles, and when French uses guess work it is obvious. What is important is that the history book does balance the more male fo
Elevate Difference
Jan 10, 2009 Elevate Difference rated it it was amazing
I was first introduced to Marilyn French as an enthusiastic college student entering the world of radical feminism. I came across references to The Women's Room repeatedly in my personal studies of feminist history and theory, and finally had to sit down and read it. I read the book in less than a week, and it had an enormous impact on my feminism and overall politics. When I heard Marilyn French had written a multi-volume anthology on the history of women, I was intrigued.

While I can’t say tha
Rochelle
Nov 04, 2012 Rochelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!
This book is amazing to read. It took me back to the beginning of the human race in Africa.
The book made me realize that females have played a major part of life.
We always hear about the 'men' and how they fought wars, discovered new forms of things and how strong and brave they were and are today.
We don't usually hear to much about the 'females' It is funny cause we all came from one female in Africa.
This book has opened my eyes to the world and our history in it, in a different and unique
Ryan
May 09, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book, a cross-cultural look at the place of women in societies from the Neolithic period to the end of the first millennium AD, was quite possibly the most depressing book I've ever read.

Which is kind of surprising, because I was already familiar with a lot of the individual subject areas being discussed, but hadn't really considered them in the aggregate. The view you get when you do that is that regardless of how a society is organized, regardless of whether or not it's religious, regardl
Cat
Jan 14, 2011 Cat rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, library
While the writing style is often awkward and the text isn't as organized as I'd like, the information is fascinating. I found the sections discussing Greece, Rome, and western religion the most intriguing, possibly because I already had a good foundation in these histories and cultures to form a baseline for putting her writing into context.
Drina
Sep 07, 2013 Drina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
The sociological themes that French is able to link together are fascinating. Volume 1 focuses primarily on the development of society, moving later onto more recognizable historical events, but you can see so much of modern attitudes towards women and their place in society in how she describes the past. I consider myself a pretty average consumer, in terms of literature. I have no special training in history, sociology, literature, etc. Outside of being a self aware female, I have no strong ed ...more
Hannah Fullmer
Partial read of a huge nonfiction book...may come back to read other bits later. Read the first several chapters describing the possible clues to women's lives prior to the first big civilizations such those in Egypt and Greece.
I found the information really interesting and thought-provoking, as it presented ideas of women being differently (and more centrally and powerfully) in the world prior to the advent of an organized church/military/city-state.
French clearly has an agenda, so I wasn't a
Corinne
Dec 15, 2009 Corinne rated it really liked it
Marilyn French's history of women (and patriarchy) is exhaustive. I greatly enjoyed reading through the first book, and to say I learned a lot is an understatement. However, French's book would benefit from a slightly more scholarly and documented writing style. Often, the parts of the book I most wanted to research more about lacked footnotes or direct citations. That having been said, the writing style is definitely accessible and quite easy to read. It is the sheer amount of information that ...more
Kati
Jan 24, 2013 Kati rated it liked it
This is the first book in a four book series chronicling the history of women from pre-history to the present. This book addresses pre-history to around the beginning of the Common Era. I found it very readable and interesting.

Like any history book, so much of this book is speculation or best guesses about how people lived and why. I would have liked to be able to discuss the book with French so I could hear other points of view, what the dominate theories are and the methodology used to reach h
Ms. Online
HERSTORY REVISITED
Karen Offen

Review of From Eve to Dawn: A History of Women in the World
By Marilyn French
The Feminist Press at the City University of New York

Marilyn French’s fervently feminist novel The Woman’s Room has sold 20 million copies since it was published in 1977, and its author, now nearing 80, remains as ardent as ever in her defense of women’s rights. In four ambitious volumes under the title From Eve to Dawn, she surveys world history from a staunchly feminist perspective. Written
Cheri
Jun 03, 2009 Cheri rated it it was amazing
Incredible overview of hundreds of thousands of years of women in history, condensed into a slim volume (the first of four). From Eve to Dawn A History of Women in the World is an electrifying and provoking feminist read. Fair warning: it's not light reading, and is sure to get your blood boiling as you read about one indignity and injustice after another perpetuated against women.
M
Jul 28, 2009 M rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this. I thought some of the information was interesting but wished that this had been better, as I think that this information needs to be out there. The author said she had to really revise her work a great deal so that it could be published. Maybe I'll pick it up again later and give it another try.
Carly
May 24, 2008 Carly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone.
fascinating/depressing/anger-inducing. can be highly reductionist, but how could it not be when you're trying to fit a history of half the world's population through all of human history? i have never been more grateful for my right to own property.
Tamara
Jan 24, 2009 Tamara rated it really liked it
This book was fantabulous, if a little repetitive. Now I have to do inter-library loan to read the three other books in this series to get to present-day.
Nutkin
Aug 18, 2009 Nutkin rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This book gives an easy-to-read account of the early history of women. It's the first time I've read a history book just for pleasure and I found a lot of the information to be quite interesting.
Alexandra Carey
Jun 05, 2016 Alexandra Carey rated it it was amazing
A must Read for everywoman!! You will gain a new found desire to search out truths behind the social structure of the world , and what and who made it what it is today......
Alisha
Sep 12, 2010 Alisha is currently reading it
HOLY SHIT this is blowing my MIND. Readit. !
Blackbook
Jan 17, 2013 Blackbook rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, 2013
Volumes 1-4. Great. Thorough. The last part, a little dated.
Kolumbina
Jul 10, 2016 Kolumbina rated it really liked it
What an interesting book. So women don't have maternal instincts. Everything and anything maternal, girls learn from their mothers through their childhood and upbringing. Makes sense.
Learned many things from Marilyn French's book, a lot about men and about women and how it all started. Living now and working in multinational country with all sorts of religions I found this book very useful, almost necessity. And as always in M. F.'s books absolutely adore her interpretations and explanations.
4 s
Karen
Dec 27, 2016 Karen marked it as to-read
* Understanding Oppression: Women's Rights (Then and Now)

From Eve to Dawn, A History of Women in the World, Volume I: Origins: From Prehistory to the First Millennium by Marilyn French | Origins is the first of four volumes of a momental, readable, and unprecedented history of women throughout the world. #suffragette #womensrights
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2009
Wildlx
Wildlx rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Jessie
Jessie rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2009
Cassandra Hemesath
Cassandra Hemesath rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Margo
Margo rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Jen Ponce
Jen Ponce rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Kendall Collins
Kendall Collins rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Women Behind the Lines 1 2 Nov 04, 2012 11:10AM
  • The Creation of Patriarchy
  • Evil Sisters: The Threat of Female Sexuality in Twentieth-Century Culture
  • The Boundaries of Her Body: A Shocking History of Women's Rights in America
  • Women of Ideas: And What Men Have Done to Them
  • A Jury of Her Peers: American Women Writers from Anne Bradstreet to Annie Proulx
  • A History of Women in America
  • A History of Their Own: Women in Europe from Prehistory to the Present Volume 1
  • Sexism in America: Alive, Well, and Ruining Our Future
  • Feminism: The Essential Historical Writings
  • How to Suppress Women's Writing
  • Ink-Stained Amazons and Cinematic Warriors: Superwomen in Modern Mythology
  • The Dread of Difference: Gender and the Horror Film
  • The Story of the Jews: Finding the Words, 1000 BCE – 1492 CE
  • The Terror Dream: Fear and Fantasy in Post-9/11 America
  • Intimate Wars: The Life and Times of the Woman Who Brought Abortion from the Back Alley to the Board Room
  • A Brief History of Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice
  • The Spinster and Her Enemies: Feminism and Sexuality 1880-1930
  • Girl Zines: Making Media, Doing Feminism
She attended Hofstra University (then Hofstra College) where she also received a master's degree in English in 1964. She married Robert M. French Jr. in 1950; the couple divorced in 1967. She later attended Harvard University, earning a Ph.D in 1972. Years later she became an instructor at Hofstra University.

In her work, French asserted that women's oppression is an intrinsic part of the male-domi
More about Marilyn French...

From Eve to Dawn (4 books)
  • From Eve to Dawn: A History of Women in the World, Vol. 2