Start by marking “Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)” as Want to Read:
Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane, #7)

Hounded to Death ("Sister" Jane #7)

From New York Times bestselling author Rita Mae Brown comes the latest novel in her enthralling series of foxhunting mysteries. Richly imagined and utterly engaging, Hounded to Death reveals the cutthroat world of competitive hound shows as both humans and animals alike try to solve a series of bizarre deaths.

âœSisterâ Jane Arnold, esteemed master of the Jefferson Hunt Cl
Published September 30th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hounded to Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hounded to Death

Cry Wolf by Patricia BriggsHunting Ground by Patricia BriggsKiss of Snow by Nalini SinghCaressed by Ice by Nalini SinghPlay of Passion by Nalini Singh
Wolf/Dog
77th out of 149 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara
Aug 31, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Rumor has it that this book, published in 2008, may be the last volume in Rita Mae Brown's Sister Jane fox-hunting series. If that's so, I'll be sorry. Like the Nancy Drew books of my childhood, I've gotten used to the characters, the setting and even the rituals of fox-hunting, and I would hate to lose this fictional world which is far more interesting than Nancy's was! Hounded to Death is a bit less tight than the others in the series, but the solution to the mystery is clever and somewhat unp ...more
Megan
Jul 08, 2010 Megan rated it did not like it
When the author takes up 20 pages introducing each character (info that is not crucial to the story) including each dog, horse, and domestic pet, you know you are in trouble. When the author makes each hound, horse and domestic pet actually carry on conversations in the book you should probably put it down. There was some language. The story was ok with a decent twist. Definitely for insane animal lovers.
Amanda Marshall
Oct 22, 2010 Amanda Marshall rated it did not like it
I got this from the library as a playaway (book on 'tape' sort of deal), which, if it had been an actual book I most likely would have stopped reading it. Let me just say that a 'murder mystery' genre does not go well with whimsical talking animals. So ridiculous. She also went waaaaaay overboard with the hound hunting info. Super boring. So to sum things up, it was a ridiculous, boring book; how she's managed to garner a following baffles me.
Katharine Reynolds
I love all the Sister Jane books. This one seemed a little rushed. I was hoping for more talk between the animals. She hbas been introducing new foxes and I was hoping for more background on them. The human element was good. Love the ending. I do wish Ms. Brown would consider doing more Jane books. She's still young!
Mascanlon
Dec 20, 2008 Mascanlon rated it really liked it
I always enjoy my time with Sister and her horses and hounds. Once again this was a clever mystery set in the hunting community of Virginia. Cast of characters included not only many of the regulars in the Hunt and surrounding neighbors but the hounds, horses, owls, cats and of course the foxes of the area.
Crystal
Apr 27, 2009 Crystal rated it did not like it
Shelves: rejects
I almost put this book down after seeing the 12 pages of introductory material, consisting of an introduction to all characters--human and animal--as well as a glossary of fox hunting and hound management terminology. But I didn't; I kept reading. Sigh.

All in all, there was probably 1 page of actual detecting. Some things would happen, the main characters would then make some assumptions, and the ending, the solution, came as a complete surprise. As a mystery, it was not satisfying nor intrigui
Tara Choate
Sep 10, 2016 Tara Choate rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, this was another "Jane" book that just didn't deliver. While there were two hunts at the end of the books (finally...) the rest of it had almost no animals. The plot itself was disjointed and thin; literally unbelievable. While I will continue "reading" the series, at least for one more, I'm starting to doubt that reading will really be involved... I essentially skimmed this one. I believe this may be what I did for the last two books in this series, which is why I did not ...more
Tori
Nov 10, 2008 Tori rated it did not like it
Shelves: new-fiction
Though I love this author's Sneaky Pie Brown mystries about Mrs. Murphy, I honestly don't know why I kept reading this. The characters were okay, but not as engaging, and while the setting was interesting, the plot did not gel at all. And while the talking animals are a source of delight in those other books, they were simply a contrived annoyance in this one that broke up the flow of the narrative. Additionally, the POV drifted so much it was difficult to keep the characters straight, and a lot ...more
Rebecca Mulligan
Jan 05, 2015 Rebecca Mulligan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hounds Have It.

This is another in the Sister Jane hunt series. Rita Mae Brown does a wonderful job of describing various hound shows which take place in and around Virginia, during one of which the first of several murders occurs. The emphasis in this series is on hunting and country life; solutions to the mystery are fairly obvious, despite a well crafted misdirection by Ms. Brown. If you like a nice, fun to read cozy mystery, this book (and the series) is for you. Rita Mae Brown is a wonde
Apr 13, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio-books
This book didn't excite me. This is not a story of an active investigation. The characters passively let clues come to them; and they don't even get involved until half of the book is over. Other comments I could make would spoil the end - let's just say the passivity continues all the way through. A disappointing story all the way through, but perhaps interesting for people following the characters from earlier books.

George
Feb 19, 2009 George rated it really liked it
#7 in the "Sister" Jane mystery series set in central Virginia fox hunting society. Story involves apparently unrelated multiple murders which Sister eventually untangles. The series revolves around several established characters and the inter-relations between them as well a lot about fox hunting and hound raising.

This is the first in the series that I have read and found it quite enjoyable, especially the slowly unfolding mystery.
Priscilla Melchior
Jun 17, 2015 Priscilla Melchior rated it liked it
Working my way through the Sister Jane series. Much of my enjoyment is focused on its proximity to where I live (though I'm not THAT close), and I like the characters — human and animal — a lot. I could do without some of the political asides, though I'm in agreement with her 99 percent of the time. They just seem out of place much of the time.

Like all Sister Jane books, this is a cozy mystery and lots of fun without being incredibly demanding. On to the next!
Mary
Feb 03, 2013 Mary rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013-reads
I thought I would like a new series by the author, having read many of the Sneaky Pie Brown series, but this one is too full of charming characters, except for the egregious villain, and chock full of foxhunting terminology. I detected the story would be fraught with animal abuse and murder in extremis, so I've decided to skip the whole thing.
Vickie
Nov 06, 2008 Vickie rated it it was amazing
I love her horse and hound series. This was a interesting addition because she talked about showing dogs and a little about the production of fine bourbon. I always respect the power of great old people in fiction - oldsters rule! This one has a gentleman friend and she even cheats on him. Go figure.
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
Nov 08, 2008 Rexanna Ipock-Brown rated it really liked it
Sister Jane is at it again! I love this series of Rita Mae Brown. The characters are people I would love to know. This book has violence, murder, social commentary and yet it is handled with such finesse I can read it before going to bed and not have nightmares. I can't wait until Rita Mae Brown has a new book published.
Madeline
Feb 06, 2014 Madeline rated it liked it
Shelves: southern-novels
Much improved over the last book in the series! Brown decided to change the scenery of this book, which made it less formulaic than the previous books. I loved the new information about showing hunting dogs. So far, my favorite in the series. While this series won't win any awards, I always enjoy these for a quick read!
Mary Frances
Nov 23, 2008 Mary Frances rated it it was ok
Beginning to get tired of her "educating" readers about fox hunting. This time she also slipped in an anti-Federal reserve comment. Don't need her odd political comments that are not really pertinent to the surrounding dialogue. I finished this one but deleted the other library loan of the next book in the series from my Kindle, feeling it would not be worth my time.
Meghan
Jan 16, 2009 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, traded
A much better showing than the previous novel in the series with very little "animal chat" and far less extraneous detail on foxhunting etiquette. This time Brown is back to well-crafted mystery and interesting characters. I figured out most (though not all) of the "why" but it wasn't until close to the end that I guessed the "who." (4 stars)
Becky Galambos
Oct 23, 2016 Becky Galambos rated it really liked it
April 2012 -A good book, wraps up a bunch of storylines from previous novels, really hope there is another book!

2016 - Rereading the series, and really hoping there is another book soon as it has been two years since the last one. I love this series.
Misha
Feb 29, 2012 Misha rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I adore the way Rita Mae Brown gives the animals personalities and voices, but I'm really disappointed that she didn't have a single gay character in the book. In real life, there would be gay people. I like to see myself represented.
Jean Tremaine
Apr 18, 2015 Jean Tremaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fun read from Rita Mae Brown

Fast paced and clever throughout. The characters were familiar, the countryside was enviable, the murders were gruesome and the animals were a treat!
Heidi
Jun 10, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it
Another very good book by Brown. The Sister Jane series is really great. The characters are developed well and the mysteries do keep you guessing at least a little bit. This series is much better than her Mrs. Murphy series.
Laura Owens
Jan 25, 2014 Laura Owens rated it did not like it
I never finished this. I am a "horse person" but I think you need to be a diehard fox hunting enthusiast to really enjoy this book. It was way too in depth of stuff that just wasn't interesting to me and not much story development to hold me into it. So I didn't force it.
Janet
May 09, 2009 Janet rated it it was ok
Not as good as previous books in the series. Brown really needs to stop using her characters as megaphones for her own personal views on society. There’s a difference between a few subtle, similarly held, opinions and pages and pages of soapbox-ism. It gets very old very quickly.
Laura Brown
Jan 27, 2015 Laura Brown rated it really liked it
I love the world of fox hunting as depicted in this series of books. I'm not sure if it is due to my being more familiar with the characters but this tale seemed more enjoyable than some have been. I was really shocked at who the "bad guy" ended up. being.
E.
Dec 09, 2008 E. rated it liked it
Another lovely depiction of the foxhunting sport in Virginia and a wonderful reminder that age does not preclude "one night stands" but not quite the same concise mystery that Rita Mae Brown normally concocts.
Robin
Nov 02, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this new addtion to the Sister Jane murder mystery series. A very quick read and if you enjoy horses, for that matter animals and the outdoors, this would be a good introduction to this series by Rita Mae Brown.
Michel
Nov 22, 2010 Michel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, va
The mystery part is a little weakish, but what fun to read about my own backyard, with the venerable Keswick Hunt Club, hilltoppings, beagling, riding, foxhunting... Will double my pleasure to attend the Blessing of the Hounds at Grace Church next Thanksgiving.
Carolyn
Feb 17, 2009 Carolyn rated it liked it
I mainly read the Sister Jane mysteries for the Virginia hunt club setting, and this is an entertaining mystery, but the author's tendency to pontificate and elaborate on name brands makes her books sound more like editorials or paid product placement.
Lyra
Feb 09, 2012 Lyra rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
I had a hard time getting into the setting of this book (the world of fox hunting). Sister is an interesting character - distinctive and memorable.
  • Cat Striking Back (Joe Grey, #15)
  • Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #2)
  • Cat in a Leopard Spot (Midnight Louie, #13)
  • The Archbishop in Andalusia (Blackie Ryan, #17)
  • Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #4)
  • A Shadow Falls
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Death By Design (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1-3)
  • The Tale of Briar Bank (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #5)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • The Cemetery Yew (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #3)
  • A Dog About Town
  • Death at Windsor Castle (Her Majesty Investigates #3)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...

"Sister" Jane (9 books)
  • Outfoxed ("Sister" Jane, #1)
  • Hotspur ("Sister" Jane, #2)
  • Full Cry ("Sister" Jane, #3)
  • The Hunt Ball  ("Sister" Jane, #4)
  • The Hounds and the Fury ("Sister" Jane, #5)
  • The Tell-tale Horse ("Sister" Jane, #6)
  • Fox Tracks
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Sister" Jane, #9)