A Time to Fight: Reclaiming a Fair and Just America

A Time to Fight: Reclaiming a Fair and Just America

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  28 reviews
“I’m the only person in the history of Virginia elected to statewide office with a Union card, two Purple Hearts, and three tattoos."

Jim Webb—the bestselling author and now the celebrated, outspoken U.S. Senator from Virginia—presents a clear-eyed, hard-hitting plan of attack for putting government to work for the people, rather than special interests, and for restoring th...more
Published May 19th 2008 by Broadway (first published January 1st 2008)

David
Heard him on NPR and was interested. It’s really well done. I didn’t realize that he was a novelist (the movie Rules of Engagment was based on one of his books) as well as the Secretary of Navy during the Reagan administration. Makes for some interesting perspectives. It is inspiring in the same way that Obama can energize, but he also gives voice to a few more pragmatic hard-core progressive concerns. Some of those rust-belt issues that seem to be dogging Obama. I particularly like his comparis...more
Ron Grunberg
It is rare and satisfying to read a book by a member of the U.S. Senate that bespeaks an enormous intelligence, diplomacy and directness, befitting a gentleman with no ax to grind, and which teaches so profoundly subject matter based on long experience and no long windedness.

I speak of this book by Senator Jim Webb, who took a quite unusual path into politics: he was a writer for 30 years. This is his ninth book. He was Secretary of the Navy under Reagan, has worked all over the world in the Mar...more
Neil
As a Virginian waking up happily to a newly blue state on November 5th, I had mixed feelings about Senator Webb's book.

In the chapter where he directly addresses his subtitle "reclaiming a fair and just America," Webb is very good. He makes an excellent case for why the rich/poor gap in America has become untenable and how the Republicans have used power not just to defend business interests but actively to make the wealthiest Americans even wealthier. Everyone ought to read this chapter.

That sa...more
James
A carefully thought-through manifesto from a wise, brave, and unselfish patriot. Senator Webb has long been one of my heroes, and my regard for him has deepened as I've read this book.

Like this author, when I was training as a young Marine officer, one of the many things I learned by heart is that whenever possible, if you're pointing out a problem you should offer at least one possible solution. In this book Senator Webb points out deep-rooted problems in several areas in our country today, and...more
Kent Lundgren
If you love this country for its promise, for what it should be, for what it CAN be, Senator James Webb's book will make you cry at the loss of direction and focus, and fear for our future. This book is not the typical liberal jeremiad about America's sins and shortcomings, but the deeply-considered thoughts of a highly intelligent man with a strong sense of duty and love of country, about how the United States is betraying its promises to itself. He is a patriot of the best sort and he writes w...more
ProgressiveBookClub
A smart, tough-minded election-year manifesto for change.

“I’m the only person in the history of Virginia elected to statewide office with a Union card, two Purple Hearts and three tattoos."

Jim Webb—the best-selling author and now the celebrated, outspoken U.S. Senator from Virginia—presents a clear-eyed, hard-hitting plan of attack for putting government to work for the people, rather than for special interests, and for restoring the country's standing around the world.

Infused with the intellige...more
Kateparis12
Some of the most sense I have read from a politician in a long time. Webb does a great job of laying his strategy for Iraq, improving the prison system and working towards economic equality. However, his ideas don't come off as preachy because he has the experience to back up most everything he says. Makes you proud to be a Virginian and hopeful that Congress might get something done if there were more Jim Webbs in Washington.
Ray
Webb describes his background as a decorated Marine officer serving in Vietman, a novelist, and a former member of the Reagan Administration and U.S. Senate. He's an interesting guy with good political insights. While not a current candidate for higher office, his ideas and the solutions he offers for many of the difficult areas facing our Country might make him a viable candidate for a position in an Obama administration.
Robert
I have much respect for Senator Webb. He went to the same college as me, and was also a Marine. There were pockets of useful information from this rebellious democrat. However I never quite got the whole point of the book. I did enjoy his explanation of the entire military industrial complex. His explanation of why the predominance of the military is republican was exemplary.
Brad
Its refreshing to know that the senator of your state is probably the smartest man when he walks in a room. This book is not your typical policy book by a politician, but a smart and thoughtful call to action to approach subjects from a new perspective and an idea of how to accomplish change as opposed to just speaking about it.
Scott Smith
This book is a little dated like most "here's the way forward" political texts tend to be. But Webb's personality and skill as a writer ground the events of the last several years in a historical context that's missing from similar books.

Webb in 2016!
Jeff
This is a great mixture of personal stories and thoughtful analysis of America and its role in the world. Webb has lived an incredible life and both is wisdom and political views are worth exploring.
Jessica
This is a very good synopsis of Capital Hill operations and pieces of American history. It makes clear a need for reclaiming the American system.
Karl
Jim Webb is a man's man. He's a thinker and a fighter. While I may not agree with all his views, I have to respect his values. Worth reading.
Karl
Not the best book in the world, but an interesting look at the life and views of an interesting political figure.
Sharron
Great read. This book had made me really hope he'd run or at least try to position himself for vp back then.
Mark Casey
This book is a 'must read' for anyone interested in the future political direction of the U.S.
June
A great insite on America today. Especially after the market crash. He gets it.
Tom
interesting read, wonder why he has disappeared from the political spotlight
Mick
Here is a politician that isn't afraid to voice his opinion.
H2
Had to read it, he is my senator. Liked it, like him.
Sean Menon
Great book so far!!!!!!!!!!!
~$ean Menon
Linda Karosic
Very interesting, smart guy. Very smart.
Jennie
An idealist, and I applaud him for it.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 14, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
heavy going at times, but very good
Doug
A pretty good political book.
Terry
An interesting, unorthodox politician. He'd win alot of votes in Ohio ...
Bob
Hummmmmmmm. .. he may be a good VP choice
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Shannon Coleman
Shannon Coleman marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
James Henry "Jim" Webb, Jr. (born February 9, 1946) is the junior Senator from Virginia. He is also an author and a former Secretary of the Navy under President Ronald Reagan. He is a member of the Democratic Party.

A 1968 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Webb served as a Marine Corps infantry officer until 1972, and is a highly decorated Vietnam War combat veteran. During his four years with th...more
More about James Webb...
Fields of Fire Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America A Sense of Honor Lost Soldiers The Emperor's General