50 Sad Chairs

50 Sad Chairs

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This is an awesome work by Acrobat / Photographer Bill Keaggy, who witnesses tired and tossed chairs in downtown St. Louis. Each image is a mixed bag of forlorn and funny, a veritable commentary on our culture of consumption (at least as it relates to chairs). Have a look. And you ll soon notice: sad chairs are everywhere.
Published March 3rd 2008 by Blue Q Books

To ask other readers questions about 50 Sad Chairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Sad Chairs

karen
oh what a sad book! i feel so badly for these chairs, but the captions make me want to laugh. it is so conflicting! connor never told me how many homeless chairs there are in missouri! i would love to see more volumes of these, for all the states. my home state would have the tiniest chairs, like dollhouses.
Charlie George
Apr 20, 2009 Charlie George rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like to personify objects
Recommended to Charlie by: karen
Shelves: humor
The cover photos are outstanding. It's so serious, the loathsome state of these chairs. It makes me want to don a Hazmat suit and sit in them for a while, just to ease their psychic pain.
Michael
We can finally bid “Goodnight” to Goodnight Moon and advise those damn Ducklings to waddle on out of here. 50 SAD CHAIRS is the children’s book hit of the year! Jam packed with such perennial kid-faves as “#08 Prolapse” and “#23 Soixante Neuf,” there’s little need for a slinky, Wii, nor Froebel Block set to occupy the little one’s time.

My wife and I gifted this to some close friends of ours who once dwelled within the well-represented Tower Grove neighborhood. Eliciting a mere shrug, none of us...more
Austin Kleon
The chairs are sad, yes, but they're also funny. I'm tempted to call this a cartoon book -- the captions matched with the photographs make perfect punchlines. A great gift book -- and it fits in your pocket!
Jes H
May 05, 2008 Jes H marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Marty
1) Can't wait to get at this one. I hope it is as good at the book about long lost grocery lists. Currently fighting the urger to add Bill as my "Friend".
Suzanne Fox
Four stars mostly because it skewed my grading curve to give a tiny book of photos like this five, but it's thoroughly delightful and deliciously well done...and these poor chairs have far more personality than many a novel protagonist. (Just sayin'.)
sergio magaña andaluz
muy bueno... las imágenes reflejan al 100% la expresión que busca cada toma... pero es mas que nada un libro poco común e interesante
Jessica
Apr 19, 2009 Jessica marked it as to-read
Recommended to Jessica by: David Kowalski
Shelves: art, nonfiction
David recommended it (sight unseen) and it definitely looks like my kind of read!
Looking forward to seeing a copy.
Aaron Belz
Unbelievable. This is the St. Louis I know and love.
angela
angela added it
Aug 13, 2014
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Sandra Newsome
Sandra Newsome marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
April Williams
April Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Bobby
Bobby marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Nicole Myers
Nicole Myers marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2012
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2012
Allie Potts
Allie Potts marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2012
Andrea Labowski
Andrea Labowski marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2011
Rosanne
Rosanne marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2011
Saara
Saara added it
Jul 23, 2011
Focused, yet easily distracted.
More about Bill Keaggy...
Milk Eggs Vodka: Grocery Lists Lost and Found Thumbs Up!