Start by marking “The Weathermonger (The Changes Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Weathermonger (The Changes Trilogy, #3)

The Weathermonger (The Changes Trilogy #3)

Fantasy . A nice vintage collector's item. Number # UQ1112 (104). Original price 95 cents.
Paperback
Published by Daw Books (first published March 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Weathermonger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weathermonger

Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Apocalyse! Now! With.... well, telling really would be a spoiler.

Let's just say that this book establishes that this trilogy belongs firmly in the genre of books that are about The Matter of Britain.

The book begins dramatically, as the curtain rises on two young people forced out into the water to drown as witches. The boy, Jeff, is suffering amnesia due to a recent knock on the head, but the girl, Sally, informs him that she's his sister and that he has the ability to control the weather.

He
An Odd1
Feb 13, 2014 An Odd1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lots of "tinkering" p 18 tedious for differently-abled reader, suit like-minded "crankshaft .. dipstick" p 19 "bulldog clip .. cylinder block" p 20. Likewise fiddling with weather is italicized dream stream-of-consciousness fragments, where he always passes out, me nearly. Pages skipped, questions, fine first effort may be worth checking sequel.

Suddenly awake being drowned as witches, Geoffrey Tinker 16 cannot recognize sister Sally 11 p 28 (Jeff and Sal to one another) after head knock sends hi
Karen Mardahl
Aug 07, 2016 Karen Mardahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really did like this book when I first read it as a child. Over the years, the concept stuck in my head, but I forgot the name of the book and the author. I tested the power of social media and found the answer. I asked if anyone knew about this book - gave a brief description of what I vaguely remembered: England reverted to the Middle Ages while the rest of the world was "normal" - and a friend responded almost immediately.

I wanted to re-read this book due to Brexit. Brexit had called up th
Fantasy Literature
Set in a vague idea of the future (or rather as the future may have looked to a writer in 1969) The Weathermonger opens with Geoffrey and Sally, two siblings left adrift on a rock in the sea by their community. Confused by a knock on the head, Geoffrey is informed by Sally that their uncle has been killed after being found working on a motorboat, and that the two of them have been left to be drowned when the tide comes in.

After "The Changes," England has regressed back into primitive times, in w
Teresa
Nov 08, 2012 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a weeding candidate, and it had a very intriguing first chapter, so I dove in.

I really liked the premise of this: for some reason, technology has become evil in England, and people have been killed for showing signs of technological knowledge. Cars and boats have been destroyed or left to decay. Geoffrey learned about motors from his uncle (since murdered) AND he has the ability to go into trances and control the weather. For this he and his little sister are nearly drowned in the sea b
Kirsten
Of the books in the Changes trilogy, I think this one was my favorite. It's a bit funnier than the other two, but also larger in scope in some ways. When the books were originally published, this was the first book, with Heartsease and The Devil's Children following, but the books were published in reverse chronological order, and depending on the edition this is listed as either the first book or the last in the trilogy. I haven't read them in publication order, but I think I rather like having ...more
Jaq
Aug 26, 2016 Jaq rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I found this book in an op shop and read it as a standalone book - I now find out it's the final instalment in a trilogy.....

I did enjoy this piece of vintage apocalypse fiction. It's certainly reminds me of the fantasy and science fiction that I cut my teeth on back in the 70's and early 80's.

I did find that it was excessive on the tinkering with the car, but it was an entertaining tale. I will keep my eyes out for the other books.
Diana
May 17, 2010 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning, a little hard to follow with all the 1960s British language. Sometimes the transitions were abrupt and hard to follow also, but the book grew on me. I think middle-school children today would demand more than just glossing over subjects as this did--after all, this is the age of Harry Potter and more intricately working plots for children. However, it did find this imaginative and the ideas behind the book are universal and timeless.
Nicholas Beck
Intriguing little YA book. Holds up fairly well today and is perhaps most interesting in it's re-imagining of Britain as a society that has reverted back to the middle ages. The ending was a complete left-turn that I did not see coming at all which makes for a pleasant surprise. Peter Dickinson obviously had some ideas about 1960's England that he managed to incorporate into a rollicking children's adventure story. Might wait till my son is a little older to read this one to him!
Bethnoir
Started off with an intriguing premise and a sense of danger and adventure, but somehow, for me lost something as the story went on. Perhaps it was showing its age, or maybe the characterisation just didn't engage me enough, but I was glad it wasn't any longer by the time I'd reached the rather weird ending. It is a children's book and over 40 years old, so perhaps my expectations were too high.
Tina
Feb 12, 2014 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We are a house divided.
Lydia and I, graciously, give it two stars. Noah, enthusiastically, gives it three.

There were a couple of good bits. It's an interesting idea. We toiled through much of the story. Noah would like to read it again. Of the the three in the series, this was probably our favorite.
Angela Randall
We actually have the trilogy as one book The Changes: A Trilogy.
Daisy Madder
May 04, 2016 Daisy Madder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rereading the whole trilogy for the first time since I was a teenager, and they hold up pretty well.
Aug 04, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It started relatively enjoyably but for some reason by about three quarter through I just lost the thread and skimmed the last quarter.
Stephen Palmer
Possibly my favourite children's/YA novel. One of very few I re-read - this one perhaps every year!
David
Sep 14, 2008 David marked it as to-read
One of my favourites from my childhood - I have bought it again te re-read
Sharon
Sep 11, 2009 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Oh my god, long and draggy and not the most satisfying ending to the trilogy. "Well, it just kind of happened" was the upshot. Sigh.
Robin Helweg-Larsen
Mar 03, 2015 Robin Helweg-Larsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Linking modern Britain to the Britain of Merlin, a rich tale well told.
Helen
Oct 10, 2013 Helen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Younger readers
I rather enjoyed it. It was a little old fashioned, but that was also part of the story, so it was fine. I'll have to see if I can get the other novels in the series.

Shaun Hawthorne
Shaun Hawthorne rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Imogen
Imogen rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Steve Haynes
Steve Haynes rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2012
Laura Bryn-Jones
Laura Bryn-Jones rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Malcolm Emmett
Malcolm Emmett rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2014
John Silbersack
John Silbersack rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2015
Hazel
Hazel rated it did not like it
Oct 25, 2016
Judith Johnson
Judith Johnson rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Carol Miller
Carol Miller rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
May 30, 2009
Jayme
Jayme rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Haunting
  • Go Saddle the Sea (Felix Brooke, #1)
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • Firestorm (Dinotopia, #7)
  • International Velvet
  • The Moon of Gomrath (Tales of Alderley, #2)
  • The Sword and the Circle: King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
  • Mary Lou at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #37)
  • Smith
  • Flying
  • Revolt Of The Dwarves (Endless Quest #5)
  • Ella at the Wells (Sadler's Wells #6)
  • Malafrena
Peter Malcolm de Brissac Dickinson OBE FRSL (born 16 December 1927) was a prolific English author and poet, best known for children's books and detective stories.

Peter Dickinson lived in Hampshire with his second wife, author Robin McKinley. He wrote more than fifty novels for adults and young readers. He won both the Carnegie Medal and the Whitbread Children's Award twice, and his novel The Blue
More about Peter Dickinson...

The Changes Trilogy (3 books)
  • Heartsease (The Changes Trilogy, #2)
  • The Devil's Children (The Changes Trilogy)

“The ketch belonged to an angry millionaire, who hadn't been willing to lend it until he received a personal telephone call from the President of France. (His wife had put on her tiara to listen to the call on an extension.)” 1 likes
“The General was using the telephone, forcing his fierce personality along the wires to bully disbelieving clerks at the far end.” 0 likes