Start by marking “Writings, 1878-1899” as Want to Read:
Writings, 1878-1899

Writings, 1878-1899

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The library of America is dedicated to publishing America's best and most significant writing in handsome, enduring volumes, featuring authoritative texts. Hailed as the "finest-looking, longest-lasting editions ever made" (The New Republic), Library of America volumes make a fine gift for any occasion. Now, with exactly one hundred volumes to choose from, there is a perfe ...more
Published June 1st 1992 by Library of America

To ask other readers questions about Writings, 1878-1899, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writings, 1878-1899

Ben
A brilliant mind struggling to reconcile everday life with modern science (psychology, philosophy, neurology, evolution, etc.), James is a philosopher in the classic sense of the word. He is concerned with the basic questions of life: How should one live? What does it mean to know something?

What I appreciate most about James and what sustains my interest over 1100 pages of writing is his open-mindedness and warm-heartedness. This is better than most poetry:

Every Jack sees in his own particular J
Steven Wright
This book , although composed in 1892, accurately predicts the neuroplasticity of the brain
Andy
Mr. James has, for me, the same ability as Nabakov (but of course with a different style) in that he finds just the right words to capture the everyday-mystery of what we are. He writes about normal things all of us do and experience though we tend to give them little thought, and shows how they are important in the context of how our minds work. And he's funny.

There is a part in this treatise about the dread of putting your hand on something squishy and wet and not expecting it that had me in s
Blakely
That it's very hard to explain how we get out of bed.
Albért
Albért marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Sara Masland
Sara Masland marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jonathan Kieran
Jonathan Kieran marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Sean Strnad
Sean Strnad marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Ed Grimmer
Ed Grimmer marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Ingela
Ingela marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Austin Riley
Austin Riley marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
E
E marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Dylan Butler
Dylan Butler marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Jody
Jody marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Jeffrey Howard
Jeffrey Howard marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Ted Parkhurst
Ted Parkhurst marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
William James (January 11, 1842 – August 26, 1910) was an American philosopher and psychologist who was also trained as a physician. The first educator to offer a psychology course in the United States, James was one of the leading thinkers of the late nineteenth century and is believed by many to be one of the most influential philosophers the United States has ever produced, while others have la ...more
More about William James...
The Varieties of Religious Experience Pragmatism: A New Name for Some Old Ways of Thinking Pragmatism and Other Writings The Principles of Psychology, Volume 1 William James: Writings, 1902-1910