Start by marking “The Passion of Command: The Moral Imperative of Leadership” as Want to Read:
The Passion of Command:  The Moral Imperative of Leadership

The Passion of Command: The Moral Imperative of Leadership

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Author royalties go to Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund. Active-duty Marine Colonel B. P. McCoy expertly relays his innermost thoughts and feelings, drawing on his mastery of personal leadership. He understands the intangibles that make up our modern-day warriors, those young Americans on whom we place so much responsibility when we send them into harm's way. Col McCoy descri ...more
Published June 30th 2006 by The Marine Corps Association

To ask other readers questions about The Passion of Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Passion of Command

Brandon Baggett
When I picked up this book, I thought that it would be another drawn out story about a list of things that one needs to do to take charge and be in command. I was so wrong. This book does more than just guide you through the mentality of leadership. It gives great examples and explains why you need to do certain things. It draws up a simple template that McCoy used for his Marines that can easily be adapted to any combat oriented force. McCoy hits hard on the need for mastering the basics, but h ...more
Jason

I would break this book into three takeaway sections.

1) Dedication to strong performance enhancer training such as: becoming a 'master of the basics' through repetition, 'training like you play' (in full gear and high stress environments), and cohesive team-building.

2) Building real relationships with the people you are leading, so that those people want to follow you , even without being asked. As McCoy puts it:

"A commander must genuinely love his men and win their affections in return, and w
Brian
Are you a hunter or prey? The author has a number of profound statements; I wish I had a highlighter when I read this even though I have no plans to be in combat anytime soon. "The passion of a commander is equal parts love, zeal, and a quiet wrath"
Bright
The passion of the command is in the love and affection for the people and the fighters.
Vern Wolfley
This was a great primer on leadership. Mostly geared for the military, but has many cross over applications for those in business and in your personal life as well. I really liked the quote: "Do the right thing, at the right time, for the right reason, and you cannot go far wrong."
Greg
Good, short read on detailing the internal and external challenges of combat leadership. McCoy starts off with a description of a battle in Iraq and then proceeds to discuss what makes a good leader and the type of sacrifices a military leader must make.
Eric
Jun 15, 2009 Eric added it
Shelves: military
Passion of Command is a great narrative on leadership, drawing heavily on Colonel McCoy's experience as Battalion Commander of the 3/4 in Iraq. Quality discussion on the human factors in combat.
Wachlin007 Hotmail
This book talks about what it takes to lead Marines into combat. The author draws on his personal experiences. I thought it was very well written.
David Bullard
David Bullard marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Hope Bennett
Hope Bennett marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Deketama
Deketama marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Philip E.
Philip E. marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Khush Vachhrajani
Khush Vachhrajani marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Steve Clement
Steve Clement marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Heather Buja
Heather Buja marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Ademoroti Joshua
Ademoroti Joshua marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Kent Urey
Kent Urey marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Robert Scrivner
Robert Scrivner marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Mary A Corliss
Mary A Corliss marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014