Start by marking “The Passion of Command: The Moral Imperative of Leadership” as Want to Read:
The Passion of Command:  The Moral Imperative of Leadership

The Passion of Command: The Moral Imperative of Leadership

Author royalties go to Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund. Active-duty Marine Colonel B. P. McCoy expertly relays his innermost thoughts and feelings, drawing on his mastery of personal leadership. He understands the intangibles that make up our modern-day warriors, those young Americans on whom we place so much responsibility when we send them into harm's way. Col McCoy descri ...more
Published June 30th 2006 by The Marine Corps Association

To ask other readers questions about The Passion of Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Passion of Command

November Bravo
Jan 21, 2017 November Bravo rated it really liked it
Seems boring, simple, and rehashed stuff over and over in professional development and leadership courses but puts it into a good format and is pretty short.
Elias
Jul 03, 2015 Elias rated it it was amazing
The Passion of Command: The Moral Imperative of Leadership is a concise and acute monograph on leadership. Lt. Col. Bryan P. McCoy, now Col. (Ret.), was the CO of 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines (3/4) in 2003 during Operations Iraqi Freedom, at which time they were the first Marine unit to enter Baghdad, and Vigilant Resolve in 2004 where they participated in First Fallujah.

Much of the book is devoted to his training doctrine and methodology in preparing 3/4 for deployment. He emphasizes the importa
Brandon Baggett
Apr 07, 2012 Brandon Baggett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marine-corp
When I picked up this book, I thought that it would be another drawn out story about a list of things that one needs to do to take charge and be in command. I was so wrong. This book does more than just guide you through the mentality of leadership. It gives great examples and explains why you need to do certain things. It draws up a simple template that McCoy used for his Marines that can easily be adapted to any combat oriented force. McCoy hits hard on the need for mastering the basics, but h ...more
Jason
Dec 07, 2012 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, military

I would break this book into three takeaway sections.

1) Dedication to strong performance enhancer training such as: becoming a 'master of the basics' through repetition, 'training like you play' (in full gear and high stress environments), and cohesive team-building.

2) Building real relationships with the people you are leading, so that those people want to follow you , even without being asked. As McCoy puts it:

"A commander must genuinely love his men and win their affections in return, and w
Austin Carroll Keeley
Note to self: read this at least once a year.

"Passion of Command" is the most demanding and insightful books on combat leadership that I've read to date. Colonel McCoy's battalion's success is evidence of the strength of the methods put forth in the book. It presents clear, no-nonsense training standards and challenges the young officer to live up to its high standard. Most importantly, the book recognizes that proper command is a moral imperative. Preparation is never done and learning cannot c
Brian
Jul 01, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
Are you a hunter or prey? The author has a number of profound statements; I wish I had a highlighter when I read this even though I have no plans to be in combat anytime soon. "The passion of a commander is equal parts love, zeal, and a quiet wrath"
Vern Wolfley
Jan 13, 2011 Vern Wolfley rated it really liked it
This was a great primer on leadership. Mostly geared for the military, but has many cross over applications for those in business and in your personal life as well. I really liked the quote: "Do the right thing, at the right time, for the right reason, and you cannot go far wrong."
Greg
Aug 02, 2012 Greg rated it really liked it
Good, short read on detailing the internal and external challenges of combat leadership. McCoy starts off with a description of a battle in Iraq and then proceeds to discuss what makes a good leader and the type of sacrifices a military leader must make.
Eric
Jun 15, 2009 Eric added it
Shelves: military
Passion of Command is a great narrative on leadership, drawing heavily on Colonel McCoy's experience as Battalion Commander of the 3/4 in Iraq. Quality discussion on the human factors in combat.
Wachlin007 Hotmail
This book talks about what it takes to lead Marines into combat. The author draws on his personal experiences. I thought it was very well written.
Dave Caligari
Dave Caligari rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2012
gibb0n
gibb0n rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2014
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Nick Decker
Nick Decker rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2016
Kord Basnight
Kord Basnight rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Darran
Darran rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Bill Mullen
Bill Mullen rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2011
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Chris Alderman
Chris Alderman rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Phil Heironimus
Phil Heironimus rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Nick Adams
Nick Adams rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2009
Matt Schumacher
Matt Schumacher rated it really liked it
May 29, 2012
david Proffitt
david Proffitt rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2017
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Layar
Layar rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014