Start by marking “Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach (with CD-ROM and InfoTrac®)” as Want to Read:
Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach (with CD-ROM and InfoTrac®)

Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach (with CD-ROM and InfoTrac®)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Balancing biological, psychological, social and cultural approaches, ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGY successfully blends sophisticated research (including new prevention coverage) with the most widely recognized method of discussing psychopathology. Going beyond simply describing different schools of thought on psychological disorders, the authors explore the interactions of the vario ...more
Published July 20th 2004 by Thomson (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Abnormal Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abnormal Psychology

Raychel
I read this textbook (the entire thing!) for my Abnormal Psychology class. It was very informative and I learned very much from it. I definitely couldn't have gotten through the class without it. DSM criteria is stated in boxes throughout each section, which is very helpful. Great textbook.
Aloha
I read this book a while back for school. It is an informative and absorbing book. I was always interested in anything out of the norm, so this was perfect for me. It's interesting traveling down memory lane at Goodreads.
stephanie
an excellent textbook for abnormal, it resists a lot of the impulse to simply follow DSM criteria and the medical model. i appreciated the integrated approach taken to the disorders, the mentions about research being done, and the depth with which the disorders were discussed. i was also pleased to see things like DBT mentioned with BPD, and certain meds with bi-polar - it takes it a step further from simply describing the disorders to discussing how people are treating them today.

all in all qu
Shacoria
This was my assigned textbook for my Abnormal Psychology class. I can't believe I actually read this entire textbook during the semester.It was pretty interesting as far as textbooks go. I really liked all of the case studies in the book. They were my favorite parts of the book. I also enjoyed the little quizzes at the end of each chapter.
Travis
I thought it was a solid overview of the field of Abnormal Psychology. The main takeaway from the book was certainly that disorders generally have genetic and environmental components. I feel i am more knowledgeable than I was beginning the class (wish I had the CD...seems like the had interesting interviews with folks).
Izarra Varela
I'm told this is the classic beginners' tome for psychopathology and psychopharmacology; indeed, it's easy to see why Barlow dominates this specialty. A bit abstruse at times, particularly in the drug treatments section (perhaps the next edition will include a chemistry section as well?).
Amanda Patterson
The best layman's guide to 'abnormal' psychology.
Find out about the major life stressors. Find out how fine the line is between a narcissist and a sociopath.
Easy to read and worth having as a research guide if you are writing almost anything.
this book has one of the best textbook covers (almost as amazing as Harlequin novels, really) I've ever see!
really, it's like therapy for stressed female students everywhere (or maybe, it's just me).
anyway, I love this book, so much.
Dec 30, 2011 Laura marked it as to-read
So far, so good. I'm hoping this book will give me some insight on some of the commonly diagnosed mental disorders of people I know.....Perhaps I'll be less judgmental if I find out why so many folks are nuts these days.
Emily
I had to read this book for a class and I actually enjoyed it. It provides a great overview of major disorders and contains excerpts from the DSM regarding criterion.
Lindsey
Feb 02, 2010 Lindsey is currently reading it
Im currently studying this book for my abnormal psychology class in my sophomore year of college.
Katie
Reading it for school but it is interesting and chalk full of information.
Melissa Baggett
Decent book, but glad class is finished!
Meagan Brantley
Excellent Abnormal Psych reference book!
Stanley S Richardson
Stanley S Richardson marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Colleen
Colleen is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2015
Christine
Christine is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2015
Ola Ezz
Ola Ezz marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
CM Kaser
CM Kaser marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Iqra
Iqra marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
  • Biological Psychology
  • Cognitive Psychology: Connecting Mind, Research and Everyday Experience (with Coglab 2.0 Online Booklet)
  • Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics
  • A History of Modern Psychology
  • Intimate Relationships
  • Psychology: Themes and Variations
  • The Verbal Behavior Approach: How to Teach Children With Autism and Related Disorders
  • Health Psychology
  • Psychology: The Science of Mind and Behavior
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • The Personality Puzzle
  • Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology
  • Organization Development and Change (with InfoTrac College Edition Printed Access Card)
Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders: A Step-by-Step Treatment Manual Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic: Workbook Anxiety and Its Disorders: The Nature and Treatment of Anxiety and Panic Unified Protocol for Transdiagnostic Treatment of Emotional Disorders: Workbook Single Case Experimental Designs