Start by marking “Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach [with CD-ROM and InfoTrac]” as Want to Read:
Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach [with CD-ROM and InfoTrac]

Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach [with CD-ROM and InfoTrac]

Balancing biological, psychological, social and cultural approaches, ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGY successfully blends sophisticated research (including new prevention coverage) with the most widely recognized method of discussing psychopathology. Going beyond simply describing different schools of thought on psychological disorders, the authors explore the interactions of the vario ...more
Published July 20th 2004 by Thomson (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Abnormal Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abnormal Psychology

Shacoria
This was my assigned textbook for my Abnormal Psychology class. I can't believe I actually read this entire textbook during the semester.It was pretty interesting as far as textbooks go. I really liked all of the case studies in the book. They were my favorite parts of the book. I also enjoyed the little quizzes at the end of each chapter.
Raychel
I read this textbook (the entire thing!) for my Abnormal Psychology class. It was very informative and I learned very much from it. I definitely couldn't have gotten through the class without it. DSM criteria is stated in boxes throughout each section, which is very helpful. Great textbook.
Aloha
May 07, 2010 Aloha rated it it was amazing
I read this book a while back for school. It is an informative and absorbing book. I was always interested in anything out of the norm, so this was perfect for me. It's interesting traveling down memory lane at Goodreads.
Timotheos
4 star rating kasi ang habaaaaaaa mo basahin. Pero the book is detailed enough. It's like the student-version of DSM.
stephanie
Mar 24, 2008 stephanie rated it really liked it
Recommended to stephanie by: michael friedman
an excellent textbook for abnormal, it resists a lot of the impulse to simply follow DSM criteria and the medical model. i appreciated the integrated approach taken to the disorders, the mentions about research being done, and the depth with which the disorders were discussed. i was also pleased to see things like DBT mentioned with BPD, and certain meds with bi-polar - it takes it a step further from simply describing the disorders to discussing how people are treating them today.

all in all qu
Victoria Schlie
Nov 23, 2016 Victoria Schlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This is a really good textbook for looking up specific disorders, as it includes DSM-5 exerts for each disorder that it covers. This is helpful in analyzing the possible presence of a disorder as well as explaining more about the origin and course of the disorder in question. I like that it gives the most common disorders in each category, which allows for category placement of disorders without further specific labeling (use DSM-5 for that if necessary).
Travis
Jun 08, 2012 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a solid overview of the field of Abnormal Psychology. The main takeaway from the book was certainly that disorders generally have genetic and environmental components. I feel i am more knowledgeable than I was beginning the class (wish I had the CD...seems like the had interesting interviews with folks).
Samantha Penrose
As far as textbooks go, this one was alright. Definitely a huge improvement from my PSY 101 book (Bernstein 6th edition). I enjoyed that many of the examples given were taken from the cases seen in the author's own clinics. I wondered a bit, however, about what other bad information I might be receiving, after an description of how marijuana users smoke dried leaves to get high...
Jan 15, 2011 Laura marked it as to-read
So far, so good. I'm hoping this book will give me some insight on some of the commonly diagnosed mental disorders of people I know.....Perhaps I'll be less judgmental if I find out why so many folks are nuts these days.
Jan 24, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book has one of the best textbook covers (almost as amazing as Harlequin novels, really) I've ever see!
really, it's like therapy for stressed female students everywhere (or maybe, it's just me).
anyway, I love this book, so much.
Izarra Varela
Feb 06, 2015 Izarra Varela rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychopathology
I'm told this is the classic beginners' tome for psychopathology and psychopharmacology; indeed, it's easy to see why Barlow dominates this specialty. A bit abstruse at times, particularly in the drug treatments section (perhaps the next edition will include a chemistry section as well?).
Amanda Patterson
Apr 24, 2011 Amanda Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-remember
The best layman's guide to 'abnormal' psychology.
Find out about the major life stressors. Find out how fine the line is between a narcissist and a sociopath.
Easy to read and worth having as a research guide if you are writing almost anything.
Emily
Apr 06, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book for a class and I actually enjoyed it. It provides a great overview of major disorders and contains excerpts from the DSM regarding criterion.
Meagan Brantley
Nov 04, 2012 Meagan Brantley rated it it was amazing
Excellent Abnormal Psych reference book!
erika
Jul 13, 2016 erika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
Pretty good as far as textbooks go but I would have never made it through if I didn't have to.
Lindsey
Feb 02, 2010 Lindsey is currently reading it
Im currently studying this book for my abnormal psychology class in my sophomore year of college.
Abu Hanifah
good references
Katie
Aug 22, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
Reading it for school but it is interesting and chalk full of information.
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2016
Jeremy Kourvelas
Jeremy Kourvelas rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Mitchell
Mitchell rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Amanda Allen Barlow
Amanda Allen Barlow rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Ally
Ally rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2008
Jodi
Jodi rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2007
Alexander Pico
Alexander Pico rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2010
Gabsile
Gabsile rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Paula Weinkauf
Paula Weinkauf rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Faizal
Faizal rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Sensation and Perception
  • Biological Psychology
  • Psychology: The Science of Mind and Behavior
  • Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology
  • Personality Psychology: Domains of Knowledge about Human Nature
  • Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
  • Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics
  • The Verbal Behavior Approach: How to Teach Children with Autism and Related Disorders
  • Mindfulness and Psychotherapy