Start by marking “The January Corpse” as Want to Read:
The January Corpse

Neil Albert

The January Corpse

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Set in Pennsylvania Amish country, this new mystery series introduces disbarred lawyer, now P.I., Dave Garrett. Searching for a man who disappeared seven years ago and is presumed dead, Garrett encounters some people who don't want the dead man found--and will kill to keep it that way. "An exceptional first mystery".--Publishers Weekly.
Published October 1st 1991 by Walker & Company

To ask other readers questions about The January Corpse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The January Corpse

Michael
In "The January Corpse," a young, disbarred attorney in Philadelphia is hired to find Daniel Wilson. Wilson has to go to the tight knit Pennsylvania Dutch community to try to get answers.

Wilson has been missing for six years and now time that the insurance company can certify that he is dead and the family can collect the insurance money.

The question is, who might have killed Wilson and why would they want to kill him if he would make more money if he was alive?

Wilson's sister is the person who
Judi R.
Another book that has sat on my library shelf for years. The plot questions whether or not Daniel Wilson is dead or if he plotted his disappearance to look like a murder.

It is terrific and I am glad that I finally read it. Neil Albert has a wonderful sense of balance in his writing. He portrays the characters in an insightful manner, introducing each personality in bits and pieces as the novel evolves. He includes just enough drama to make the story plausible and has unimaginable surprises that
Maddy
RATING: 4.0
PROTAGONIST: Dave Garrett (disbarred lawyer)
GENRE: PI
SETTING: Pennsylvania
SERIES: #1 of 6
SUMMARY: Disbarred attorney-turned-PI Dave Garrett has only the weekend to prove that a man who disappeared seven years ago is dead so that the manhis mother and sister Lisa can collect on his insurance policy. Was the vanished Danny Wilson murdered, and if so, by whom? His former law partner, Leo Strasnick, says their practice consisted mostly of civil cases, but then why is Garrett being tailed
LJ
JANUARY CORPSE - Good
Albert, Neil - 1st of series

Once Dave Garrett was a Philadelphia lawyer. Then he was disbarred. Now he is a private investigator, taking odd jobs to keep afloat.

This job is odder than most. He must prove a lawyer who vanished seven years ago is dead. But the evil he finds is very much alive. He is in over his head in a shadow world of vicious mob muscle, drug blood money, old debts and fresh fear. He is falling for a woman who gives too much and tells too little. And he has
Cathy
Disbarred attorney/now Private Eye Dave Garrett has only the weekend to prove that a man who disappeared seven years ago is dead so that the man's mother and sister can collect on his insurance policy. The book started out slow and was choppy off and on throughout, but got much more interesting towards the end. The final resolution was both a surprise (at least to me) and supported by minute details along the way. So, to me, the end was great, but getting there was a bit more of a struggle than ...more
Donna
First book by a local author, with reference to some local landmarks. It was a bit slow to start, but was a very good mystery with a twist ending. Would read another of his books, to see if they are also good, since this was his first book.
Elaine
I am at a loss as to why this series doesn't get great ratings from readers. I think they are all terrific, on-the-edge-of your seat mysteries. The setting is the Philadelphia area, and the hero is a disbarred lawyer turned PI.
Jeanette
This book started real slow and was boring, but as I read I started liking the plot and the main character. I will read more of this author and see if his other books are as good.
Ray
Interesting if you want to read a story set in Philly in the early 90s. Points for a weird twist at the end, but otherwise...
Sandi
A very solid first entry in a PI series set in Pennsylvania.
Turtlecollector
I liked most of the book except for the ending.
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Lorna
Lorna added it
Feb 24, 2014
Amy :)
Amy :) marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The February Trouble Burning March Tangled June Cruel April Appointment in May: A Dave Garrett Mystery