Start by marking “No Time for Goodbye” as Want to Read:
No Time for Goodbye

No Time for Goodbye (No Time For Goodbye #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  18,800 Ratings  ·  1,749 Reviews
The house was deathly quiet. That was the first sign that something was terribly wrong. Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge woke that morning to find herself alone. Her family—mother, father, and brother—had vanished without a word, without a note, without a trace. Twenty-five years later, Cynthia is still looking for answers. Now she is about to learn the devastating truth

Cyn
Audio CD
Published September 25th 2007 by Brilliance Audio

Carmen
Mar 28, 2016 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller Fans
"Well, I'll tell you something," he said, "but not if you're going to tell the cops because if you do, I'll tell them I never said any of this, because they might find a way to use it against me, the fuckers."

This book was just okay. It's a thriller. Cynthia's 14 when her mom, dad, and older brother disappear one night. Their cars are missing. Their beds aren't slept in. There's no trace of them.

Were they murdered? Kidnapped? Did they leave and abandon their daughter? It's three decades later an
Suzanne
My first Lynwood Barclay novel, which I picked up on a whim at the library, as I had been hearing things about this author from my Aussie Reader friends. I was constantly checking and unchecking boxes, second guessing my ideas as to ‘who dunnit’. My assumptions were partly correct, and I enjoyed trying to work it out.

Cynthia finds herself abandoned by her family one day, she’s woken up one day and they’ve simply vanished. The story continues on the 25th anniversary of Cynthia’s disappearance, w
Janice
Aug 04, 2008 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book five stars simply for entertainment value. It was almost like watching a film, the characters came to life and the whole book was great fun to read - who cares if the plot was a little implausable.
It's not the sort of book you'll want to keep and read again but enjoy it as a fast food treat. If you read it over a weekend as I did, beware, you might not get much else done.

Rebecca
if you can stand the "F" word every other page, sometimes many times in one page...then read this book. Its a lot of fun and really interesting. If I cared enough tho, I'd write the author and tell him how a)unnecessary and b)annoying it was to have to see that word over and over again. I know to some people its not an issue at all but to me..blech. The book was so good on its own, it didn't need it AT ALL.
Vivian
Mar 19, 2009 Vivian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up because the description reminded me of Harlan Coben's books, but was disappointed. The first half of the book, in which Barclay set up his story, is more description than action. I found it pretty boring. No great writing here either. So many readers have commented on the mounting suspense in this book. I found none of that. I felt none of the shock or sense of dread that I usually get when I read a mystery/thriller. Two thirds into the book, I didn't care what actually happ ...more
Bree
Oct 09, 2007 Bree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, thriller
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - it was written from the point of view of the woman's husband, and he takes you through the past, what little they know...starting with the 25th anniversary of her family's disappearance. About 1/3rd of the way through, you start to get pieces of the puzzle, but they throw in a lot of speculation about who could have done it. Parts of it kept me guessing right until the very end. LOVED this book!
Jessi
So fourteen year old Cynthia has a huge fight with her dad and goes to bed, the next morning she wakes up to find her father, mother and brother have vanished, no note, no nothing. The cars are gone and so are they.

Move forward years and Cynthia is married with an 8 year old and still has no idea what happened to her family. All of a sudden things start happening and
Photobucket

Told from the perspective of Cynthia's husband so you never know if Cynthia is involved, if she's nuts. It was a really great mys
Carol
Sep 04, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grabbed this book on a whim as I was dashing out the door to the airport. It ended up being an entertaining read for the plane ride to Panama. After a night of teen drinking, Cynthia Archer wakes to find her family missing. This plot has been explored in many ways by different authors. Barclay's take on what happened to the family is not extraoridnary but neither is it boring. I was able to figure out who did what before the end of the book but that was not a bad thing. What made the read for me ...more
Michele Shimp
Feb 22, 2011 Michele Shimp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Looking for a thriller that you don't want to put down? Then you need to read No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay. [return][return]This book is definitely a page turner! Cynthia's paranoia - is it in her head? Something she's doing - maybe a split personality? What happened to her family? Are they really dead? I cannot imagine for even a second that my family would just disappear. It's not even in my ability to imagine. Knowing that, I can imagine how if that were to happen, how messed up I w ...more
Beth
Jan 05, 2009 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because this book had rave reviews, I feel justified in launching into a few criticisms.
1.The first person narrator is a high school English teacher yet he insists on colloquialisms (or just plain bad grammar) such as, "Me and Grace went to the store." (Not an actual quote but close.)
2. The tone slips. When Vince comes on stage, we move from Stephen King creepiness to slapstick comedy.
3. Clearly the book was written for the movie version which means there's a lot of fast action with little att
Vicky (A Backpack Full of Adventures)
No Time For Goodbye is one of those books that grab your attention from the very first page. Not having read any of the author’s books I had no idea what to expect from the story but it was definitely a pleasant surprise and I’m really glad I picked this up. I had a few minor issues with it – which I’m going to get to in a minute – and it wasn’t as fast paced as I anticipated but all in all, it was a gripping novel full of twists and turns and with a touching ending.

Before I go even further, I h
Teresa
Feb 07, 2013 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-usa
Tinha grandes expectativas em relação a este livro e…
As Personagens
A adolescente rebelde que uma manhã acorda e descobre que pai, mãe e irmão tinham desaparecido. A adulta irritante que, anos depois, os procura;
O marido - a personagem simpática da história - que tudo arrisca na tentativa de encontrar a verdade;
Mais uns familiares, amigos e conhecidos para enfeitar e justificar o desenvolvimento do assunto.
O Enredo
Um crime, um rapto? O costume;
O culpado? Isso é que não me convenceu lá muito
Maggie
Mar 01, 2009 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very unexpected, at times very humorous, this book offered something essential: the need to keep reading until I knew what had happened. The characters, especially the daughter, were very well-defined and I cared about what happened to them
Michael
Oct 02, 2008 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
After having a fight with her parents, fourteen year old Cynthia Bigge wakes up to find her entire family has mysterious vanished without a trace. Twenty-five years later, the mystery of just what happened to them remains unsolved, leading Cynthia to agree to a segment on a popular reality show in the hopes of finding a few answers about the past that haunts her.

Following the show's airing, a series of mysterious events begins to occur including a mysterious car following her daughter, a fedora
Sarah Edwina Rose
Sep 07, 2009 Sarah Edwina Rose rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was recommended this book by friend who told me she couldn't put it down.

I agree that this book does have some page turning quality, but any hint of excitement at the mystery unfolding was completely overshadowed by the terribly poorly executed and unbelievable narrative.

The story is told by the husband, and he is quite possibly the most uninteresting character I have come across for quite some time. Dry, drab and monotone in his dialogue where any hint of feeling is executed in a cliche and c
Terri Lynn
I only recently discovered this author's books when I read THE ACCIDENT. since I loved that, I then read TOO CLOSE TO HOME and loved it too. I then started reading this clunker and was surprised to find that Barclay had written such a dud.

The book begins with look back 25 years into the past when then 14 year old wild child Cynthia wakes up the morning after she had been found making out and drinking in a car with an older boy by her dad Clayton. Once home, she runs upstairs yelling back to dad
Bill
Sep 16, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Well, this was very entertaining.

For some reason I had never heard of Linwood Barclay, until some of my Goodreads friends started raving about his latest.
So I grabbed this one, his earliest, and he certainly lived up to the hype. This is a classic page-turner. There is no time to smell the roses along the way: the plot plows through, but not with as much expense to character development as you would find with many thrillers. Even though the development comes mainly through dialogue, it is suffic
Franco  Santos
Te levantas.
La casa está vacía.
Tu familia ha desaparecido.

Le tenía muchas expectativas a este libro, lamentablemente tengo que decir que me terminó decepcionando.

Empieza muy bien. Es todo como lo pintan en la sinopsis: mucho misterio, nada cuadra, sin embargo, a medida que avanzaba me iba llevando decepción tras decepción.

El final es bastante malo, para mi gusto. Después de tantas incógnitas que Barclay te dé esa resolución...

No obstante, es un buen thriller, sumamente entretenido y ameno.
Stephen
Aug 18, 2009 Stephen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In 1993 Thomas H. Cook published a book called Mortal Memory, in which a young man comes home from school to find his mother and sister murdered, and his father gone. He assumed his father had waited for him to come home to kill him, too. Mortal Memory was a very good book.

No Time for Goodbye was published in 2007, and the premise is a fourteen year old girl goes to bed drunk, wakes up to find her entire family missing. Nothing is out of place, they are simply gone.

In spite of lack of blood or
Samantha
Mar 30, 2008 Samantha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of cheesy suspense novels
Claire
No Time For Goodbye is a mystery thriller about a girl whose family just vanishes whilst she's sleeping off a drunken evening spent with one of the town's bad boys.

Cynthia had to live with not knowing what happened to her mum, dad and brother for 25 years. When a local TV station decides to produce an anniversary program, strange things start to happen and Cynthia's life is thrown into disarray. It's down to Terry her husband and narrator of this story to keep a level head and help Cynthia find
Gerard Oconnell
Apr 18, 2015 Gerard Oconnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Linwood Barclay. Hard to put down, enjoyed very much.
herznah
Jul 08, 2016 herznah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eigentlich stand gar nicht dieses Buch von Linwood Barclay auf meiner to-read Liste, sondern das, welches nachfolgend noch kommen wird. Als ich dann in der Bibliothek aber dieses Buch direkt neben dem auf meiner Liste fand, las ich den Klappentext und entschied kurzerhand es mitzunehmen. Auch war mir mehr nach dieser Geschichte, sodass ich es vor dem anderen Buch von Linwood Barclay las.

Darum gehts: "Ich wollte, ihr wärt tot" - das sagt die 14-Jährige Cynthia zu ihren Eltern in einem Streit. Dan
Jean Coldwell
Aug 20, 2014 Jean Coldwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Six stars! If you read No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay before you go to bed, your mind will keep you awake trying to solve this intriguing mystery. Even though I was able to piece together some of the bits of this puzzle about why the family of a 14-year-old girl, Cynthia Bigge, vanished in the middle of the night without a trace, the whole picture did not come together for me until the very end.

Most of the book focuses on that girl 25 years later, married to Terry Archer. They have an 8-
Tony
Oct 06, 2013 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
NO TIME FOR GOODBYE. (2007). Linwood Barclay. ***.
I discovered Barclay through his most recent book, and a friend of mine from Goodreads recommended that I go back and read this earlier one. Although a capable thriller/suspense novel, I found it less qualified than the later book. The author was still learning his craft, particularly his ability to formulate a believable plot peopled by believable characters. His current novel, “Trust Your Eyes,” is head and shoulders above this one. The plot is
Denise Cowling
May 09, 2015 Denise Cowling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Can't get enough of his books.
Betsy
Nov 18, 2011 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
No Time for Goodbye is the first book I have read that was written by Linwood Barclay, but it certainly will not be the last. I thoroughly enjoyed the author's style and plot. So glad to find me another great author to read....
Juliana
Fantastic book first book with this author and it won't be the last. More twists and turns then a rollercoaster.

Five stars given and would of gave more
Shona
Sep 09, 2009 Shona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Barclay and so I was not sure what to expect from it and thankfully I was given a real treat of a read.

Could you imagine being 14 and waking up one morning to find that your family had disappeared? Well try and imagine that and the fact that 25 years on you are still no closer to working out what happened and where they are?

Well this is exactly what happened to Cynthia who woke up to find her mum, dad and brother to have vanished. 25 years on and she is sti
Veronica ⭐️
Aug 31, 2014 Veronica ⭐️ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, crime
One night 14 year old Cynthia has a fight with her parents, slams her door and goes to bed. The next morning when she awakes all is unusually quiet. Her parents and brother have disappeared without a trace. Were they punishing her? The ensuing police investigation brings up nothing and Cynthia goes to live with her Aunt Tess.
25 Years on, Cynthia and her husband, Terry Archer, are approached by the television show “Deadline”. A show that revisits unsolved crimes hoping new evidence will surface.
Goodreads Librari...: add cover 2 111 Nov 13, 2015 12:06PM
Did it explain .... 13 232 Aug 15, 2014 05:26AM
  • Severed
  • Just One Look
  • They're Watching
  • Forty Words for Sorrow (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #1)
  • Scaredy Cat (Tom Thorne, #2)
  • Looking Good Dead (Roy Grace, #2)
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • Amokspiel
  • Six Metres of Pavement
  • Lost Girls
  • Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)
  • WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For
  • A Quiet Belief in Angels
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of thirteen novels, including Trust Your Eyes, A Tap on the Window, No Time for Goodbye and that novel's followup, No Safe House.
This summer, his thriller Broken Promise, the first of three linked novels about his fictional upstate New York town Promise Falls, will be released. Book two will come nine months later, and another nine month
More about Linwood Barclay...

No Time For Goodbye (2 books)
  • No Safe House (No Time For Goodbye, #2)

“Dear Anyone: This is a letter from one anyone to another anyone, no names required, because nobody really knows anyway. Names don't make a hell of a lot of difference. The world is made up entirely of strangers. Millions and millions of them. Everyone is a stranger to everyone else. Sometimes we think we know other people, especially those we supposedly are close to, but if we really knew them, why are we so often surprised by the shit they do? Like, parents are always surprised by what their kids will do. They raise them from the time they are babies, spend each and every day with them, think they're these goddamn fucking angels, and then one day the cops come to the door and say hey, guess what parents? Your kid just bashed some other kid's head in with a baseball bat. Or you're the kid, and you think things are pretty fucking OK, and then one day this guy who's supposed to be your dad says so long, have a nice life. And you think, what the fuck is this? So years later, your mom ends up living with another guy, and he seems OK, but you think, when's it coming? That's what life is. Life is always asking yourself, when's it coming? Because if it hasn't come for a long time, you know you're fucking due. All the best, Anyone.” 55 likes
“read” 1 likes