Start by marking “Max's Dragon Shirt” as Want to Read:
Max's Dragon Shirt

Max's Dragon Shirt (Max and Ruby)

Max loves his old blue pants. His big sister Ruby thinks they're a disgrace, so she takes Max to the store to buy a new pair. But Max doesn't want new pants. He wants a dragon shirt, and there's not enough money for both. So while Ruby is trying on dresses, Max wanders away. After all, it couldn't hurt just to try on a dragon shirt, could it?
Published January 1st 2000 by Viking Juvenile (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Max's Dragon Shirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max's Dragon Shirt

Reepacheep
Nice and short, and the kids enjoyed it. Not much to this one, but that's ok when Daddy's attention span is shorter than the kids' and he's ready to send them off to bed.
Hannah
Jun 18, 2016 Hannah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read it to my little brother
Kim
Apr 25, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sweet, adorable, messy Max
Marissa Morrison
Someday I will buy this book to tear out and frame the picture of the teenager, because it makes me smile and I can't stop.

Vivian
Feb 03, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Ruby takes Max to a department store. She has $5 to buy him some new pants. Max doesn't want new pants. He likes his old "disgusting" pants. Max wants a dragon shirt.

If you're reading this with your own young children you can chat about what to do when you go shopping to avoid getting lost.

Here's what I did with my children (after frantically looking all over a department store for a lost child -- only to find her hiding in a clothing display rack). We rehearsed the "Yes Mom" game after that whi
Melanie
Max loves his blue pants but they are in horrible condition. So his sister Ruby gets money from their mother to take Max to the store to buy new pants. Max, however, is determined to have a dragon shirt. But Max's mother only gave Ruby $5 to buy pants. There won't be enough for a dragon shirt.

Once in the store and on their way to the boy's department, Ruby is distracted by some pretty dresses that she just has to try on. While Ruby is trying on several dresses, Max gets tired of waiting around a
Amy
Jun 11, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
My nephew liked Max's Dragon Shirt, and he really seemed to identify with Max's desire to have such an awesome thing in his wardrobe. My nephew is a clothes horse, and the more eye-popping and cool the shirt, the better. He was feeling Max on this one. :-)

There is all kinds of stuff in here that adults could object to; leaving kids without adult supervision, an ending that said very little about the dangers of wandering off alone, the implantation of the idea that in order to get what you want,
Kayla Fjellbo
Max has a typical older sister, she takes you shopping for something you need, and she ends up trying on the whole store. Max's sister Ruby took so long trying things on, Max fell asleep!Once Max awoke he went searching for his sister, but instead found something else....

Max's dragon shirt is a very cute innocent book. The illustrations make Max and sister out to be two chubby bunnies. It looks to me like the illustrations are pastel paint. The pictures aren't very interesting to look at but the
Nolan Johnson
A. This book is about a bunny named Max whose pants are dirty. Max's sister takes Max to go get some new pants at the mall. Max wants a dragon shirt though. Max's sister only has $5 and cannot buy the shirt and the pants. Max and his sister get split up and Max goes and puts on the shirt. Max's sister eventually finds Max eating ice cream and has made a mess on the dragon shirt. Max's sister had to pay $5 for the dragon shirt.

B. The major theme of this book is about getting lost.

C. I would use
Holly Letson
Max's blue pants are old and worn-out, so Ruby takes him to get new pants. She gets caught up in dresses, and cannot find him. He finds the dragon shirt he wants, and runs off with a cool-looking teenage girl to eat ice-cream with some cops.
When Ruby finds Max, he has gotten ice-cream all over the dragon shirt, so it has to be bought.
------------------------
Read online @ http://www.wegivebooks.org/books/maxs...
Remember that reading books online @ We Give Books earns books for local schools.
Erin
Max needs new pants. His old ones look (and probably smell) terrible! When his mother sends him to the store with his older sister, he only wants to get a dragon shirt. Ruby gets distracted and gets separated from Max! While they're trying to find each other, Max finds a dragon shirt. He loves it.

You'll have to read it to see if he ends up with new pants (that he really, really needs) or a dragon shirt (that he really, really wants).

Good for preschool storytime.
Carly Brown
For Caitlyn's Award

Level: Early

Genre: Picture Book

Topic: Brother and sister relationships

Curricular Use: Guided Reading

Social: Brother and sister relationships, having a bossy sister, having a brother who won't listen, getting lost in a mall, being responsible for a younger sibling

Literary Elements: Dialogue, Foreshadowing

Strong connection between the pictures and the text
Miss Sarah
While I think this one is a little to long for storytime I think it's a really cute book for one on one reading. Max needs new pants but he doesn't want them. He wants a new dragon t shirt. When they get to the store, his sister leaves him unattended and when he can't find her he finds the dragon shirt instead. I really liked the realistic reaction of the store personal and what clothes max ends up with but didn't like the last page. it left me hanging.
Rosa Cline
Oct 08, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Max and Ruby go shopping to get Max a new pair of pants. But Ruby gets distracted trying on and looking at dresses for herself. Max wonders off and puts on a Dragon Shirt he wants to buy but Ruby has told him all along that they only have money for the pants. In the end someone finds him and takes him to the mall police who in turns buy him ice cream ruining the shirt. So Max gets his shirt after all.
Jillian Menendez
Such a cute book! I think that I would read this to kids to show them that they when getting lost in a big store it can be scary. I think that this book has a nice lesson for kids in telling them how when wondering off you can scare the people you are with. Its a good story that children can relate to and learn from.
Tiffany Young
This is such a cute book! Max gets separated from his sister in the mall. I would read this to kids to show them that when getting lost in a big store it can be scary. I think that this book has a nice lesson for kids in telling them how when wandering off you can scare the people you are with. Its a good story that children can relate to and learn from.
Becky
Jun 22, 2010 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max and Ruby go shopping to buy Max some new pants, but Ruby decides to look at some dresses. While she is changing, Max sneaks off to find what he REALLY wants - a dragon shirt. He manages to get one, have some ice cream and avoid having his big sister take over. Cute story. I love how little Max says - but they are often the most important lines in the book.
Wooden Horse
May 04, 2011 Wooden Horse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love Rosemary Wells. The expressions on her characters are so funny. I've read this book a few times over the years and always enjoy it. I have yet to see the TV show based on Max and Ruby so I'm not sure if they in any way compare to the story.
Pynteya Bate
Mar 01, 2011 Pynteya Bate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-read
Max really wants to have a dragon shirt, but his bossy sister has her own plans. They went to the store where she starts trying dresses for herself, but at that time they get separated and Max starts to look for his sister all over the store. She finds him later wearing the dragon shirt which he got already dirty with ice cream. Now she needs to pay for the shirt, which was not in her plans.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Melanie
Genre: Fantasy
Author: Rosemary Wells
Interest Level: K-2
Grade Level Equivalent: 2.2
DRA: N/A
Lexile: 470 L

Ruby has to take Max to buy new pants, but gets sidetracked trying on dresses. Max really wants a dragon shirt and goes to look for Ruby when he thinks she forgot about him. He finds a dragon shirt and ends up spilling ice cream on it.
Laura Hawking
Max needs new trousers; he wants a dragon t-shirt instead. But his sister doesn’t have enough money to buy both. When Max gets lost at the mall anything can happen.
It’s a funny and sweet story. The end is surprising and hilarious, and the illustrations are very cute.
June
Dec 19, 2012 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Max and Ruby fans
I covered a story time at another branch and there were mostly boys so I thought Max would be a better choice than Ella Sarah Gets Dressed.
Angela
Mar 24, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever been exasperated in a store
Recommended to Angela by: my granddaughter
Shelves: children-s-books
Rosemary Wells has a knack for helping the retail executive's inner child understand a mundane shopping experience gone awry.Great read-aloud, captivating expressions, good resolution. A crowd favorite, whether 5 year-olds or the aged.
Rebecca
Max needs new pants, and Ruby only has $5 to spend. Max has other ideas. He wants a dragon shirt. Max and Ruby books are cute in their own right, but for me, there's not much substance. I would probably read this to 0-4 years old.
Aysheh M
Feb 05, 2015 Aysheh M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit surprised when I read this book to be honest. I have read many of books from the same author and many have been entertaining. This one seemed a bit, bratty. He had a stain on the shirt which caused his sister to buy it for him, when in fact they originally went to buy a pair of jeans.
K
Dec 30, 2008 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know, I'm not sure why I like this book. The illustrations are okay. The plot isn't particularly memorable. It has pictures suggesting bottle-feeding, something I generally avoid. Still, the writing style makes it particularly fun to read and my daughter likes it.
Michelle Couey
Jan 17, 2011 Michelle Couey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
not great, facial expressions of the mice were all the same and very drab. Max as the main character was slow witted and never spoke for himself except to say dinosaur shirt over and over...the end felt abrupt.:)

Susan
Aug 21, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book to teach children about colors. I also saw a teacher to put this book into a drama show in a Pre-K classroom. It was fun.
metimoteo
Cute book but I can't help but feel the story is dated now. Fans of Max & Ruby will likely not be disappointed, but I found this title lacked the vibrancy of other Rosemary Wells books.
Waits
Sep 09, 2007 Waits rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the Inmans. Waits giggles when Max screams at the teenager. This is one of Waits's most-often-requested books.
  • Bear in a Square
  • Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers
  • Birthday Monsters!
  • I Spy Christmas: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Curious George Goes to an Ice Cream Shop
  • You Wouldn't Want to Sail on the Mayflower!: A Trip That Took Entirely Too Long

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...

Max and Ruby (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Bunny Cakes