Max's Dragon Shirt

Max's Dragon Shirt (Max and Ruby)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Max loves his old blue pants. His big sister Ruby thinks they're a disgrace, so she takes Max to the store to buy a new pair. But Max doesn't want new pants. He wants a dragon shirt, and there's not enough money for both. So while Ruby is trying on dresses, Max wanders away. After all, it couldn't hurt just to try on a dragon shirt, could it?
Published January 1st 2000 by Viking Juvenile (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Max's Dragon Shirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max's Dragon Shirt

Reepacheep
Nice and short, and the kids enjoyed it. Not much to this one, but that's ok when Daddy's attention span is shorter than the kids' and he's ready to send them off to bed.
Kim
sweet, adorable, messy Max
Melanie
Max loves his blue pants but they are in horrible condition. So his sister Ruby gets money from their mother to take Max to the store to buy new pants. Max, however, is determined to have a dragon shirt. But Max's mother only gave Ruby $5 to buy pants. There won't be enough for a dragon shirt.

Once in the store and on their way to the boy's department, Ruby is distracted by some pretty dresses that she just has to try on. While Ruby is trying on several dresses, Max gets tired of waiting around a...more
Erin
Max needs new pants. His old ones look (and probably smell) terrible! When his mother sends him to the store with his older sister, he only wants to get a dragon shirt. Ruby gets distracted and gets separated from Max! While they're trying to find each other, Max finds a dragon shirt. He loves it.

You'll have to read it to see if he ends up with new pants (that he really, really needs) or a dragon shirt (that he really, really wants).

Good for preschool storytime.
Amy
My nephew liked Max's Dragon Shirt, and he really seemed to identify with Max's desire to have such an awesome thing in his wardrobe. My nephew is a clothes horse, and the more eye-popping and cool the shirt, the better. He was feeling Max on this one. :-)

There is all kinds of stuff in here that adults could object to; leaving kids without adult supervision, an ending that said very little about the dangers of wandering off alone, the implantation of the idea that in order to get what you want,...more
Bradley Sermon
Great for learning to read and develop grammar. Good example to learn writing skills. The story is relatable for children.
Holly Letson
Max's blue pants are old and worn-out, so Ruby takes him to get new pants. She gets caught up in dresses, and cannot find him. He finds the dragon shirt he wants, and runs off with a cool-looking teenage girl to eat ice-cream with some cops.
When Ruby finds Max, he has gotten ice-cream all over the dragon shirt, so it has to be bought.
------------------------
Read online @ http://www.wegivebooks.org/books/maxs...
Remember that reading books online @ We Give Books earns books for local schools.
Carly Brown
For Caitlyn's Award

Level: Early

Genre: Picture Book

Topic: Brother and sister relationships

Curricular Use: Guided Reading

Social: Brother and sister relationships, having a bossy sister, having a brother who won't listen, getting lost in a mall, being responsible for a younger sibling

Literary Elements: Dialogue, Foreshadowing

Strong connection between the pictures and the text
Pynteya Bate
Max really wants to have a dragon shirt, but his bossy sister has her own plans. They went to the store where she starts trying dresses for herself, but at that time they get separated and Max starts to look for his sister all over the store. She finds him later wearing the dragon shirt which he got already dirty with ice cream. Now she needs to pay for the shirt, which was not in her plans.
Becky
Max and Ruby go shopping to buy Max some new pants, but Ruby decides to look at some dresses. While she is changing, Max sneaks off to find what he REALLY wants - a dragon shirt. He manages to get one, have some ice cream and avoid having his big sister take over. Cute story. I love how little Max says - but they are often the most important lines in the book.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Melanie
Genre: Fantasy
Author: Rosemary Wells
Interest Level: K-2
Grade Level Equivalent: 2.2
DRA: N/A
Lexile: 470 L

Ruby has to take Max to buy new pants, but gets sidetracked trying on dresses. Max really wants a dragon shirt and goes to look for Ruby when he thinks she forgot about him. He finds a dragon shirt and ends up spilling ice cream on it.
Tiffany Young
This is such a cute book! Max gets separated from his sister in the mall. I would read this to kids to show them that when getting lost in a big store it can be scary. I think that this book has a nice lesson for kids in telling them how when wandering off you can scare the people you are with. Its a good story that children can relate to and learn from.
Wooden Horse
I love Rosemary Wells. The expressions on her characters are so funny. I've read this book a few times over the years and always enjoy it. I have yet to see the TV show based on Max and Ruby so I'm not sure if they in any way compare to the story.
Jillian Menendez
Such a cute book! I think that I would read this to kids to show them that they when getting lost in a big store it can be scary. I think that this book has a nice lesson for kids in telling them how when wondering off you can scare the people you are with. Its a good story that children can relate to and learn from.
K
You know, I'm not sure why I like this book. The illustrations are okay. The plot isn't particularly memorable. It has pictures suggesting bottle-feeding, something I generally avoid. Still, the writing style makes it particularly fun to read and my daughter likes it.
June
Dec 19, 2012 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Max and Ruby fans
I covered a story time at another branch and there were mostly boys so I thought Max would be a better choice than Ella Sarah Gets Dressed.
Angela
Mar 24, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever been exasperated in a store
Recommended to Angela by: my granddaughter
Shelves: children-s-books
Rosemary Wells has a knack for helping the retail executive's inner child understand a mundane shopping experience gone awry.Great read-aloud, captivating expressions, good resolution. A crowd favorite, whether 5 year-olds or the aged.
Michelle Couey
not great, facial expressions of the mice were all the same and very drab. Max as the main character was slow witted and never spoke for himself except to say dinosaur shirt over and over...the end felt abrupt.:)

Laura Rogers
This may be my favorite Max and Ruby title. Children LOVE these books. As an adult, they weren't my favorite pick, but after watching children respond to them - I am sold out on them. Love it.
Alicia
I'm corny and I picked out this one because the main character's name was my son's. It's an oldie for sure and not that deep, although Max got his dragon shirt after all, which was a fun twist.
Kamyia
read this for Jumpstart but I've always been a fan of Max and Ruby...I supposed this story informs children on how stores and money works...I, personally, am a fan of this book and recommend it
metimoteo
Cute book but I can't help but feel the story is dated now. Fans of Max & Ruby will likely not be disappointed, but I found this title lacked the vibrancy of other Rosemary Wells books.
Susan
This is a good book to teach children about colors. I also saw a teacher to put this book into a drama show in a Pre-K classroom. It was fun.
Elizabeth
My pre-k liked this book. The illustrations Necessitated a second and third reading. There was a lot to cover.
Deana Pittman
We just read this one on www.wegivebooks.org...Abbi is in bed now yelling, "Dragon Shirt". She really liked it.
Inspired Kathy
Ruby takes Max shopping for new pants but he ends up with a dragon shirt instead after he spills ice cream on it.
Waits
From the Inmans. Waits giggles when Max screams at the teenager. This is one of Waits's most-often-requested books.
Tayasantos
Max is always getting in trouble! Children will love the people that he sees while he is on his adventures.
Heidi
What child does not have a favorite shirt? And what child does not get dirty during a day's adventures.
Kristen Leininger
Picture Book: This book was well-done. I really felt it captured the humor of little children.
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Nobunny's Perfect
  • Moose Tracks!
  • AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Ten Black Dots

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they...more
More about Rosemary Wells...
Bunny Cakes Noisy Nora Yoko On the Blue Comet Red Moon at Sharpsburg