Start by marking “Pallbearers Envying the One Who Rides” as Want to Read:
Pallbearers Envying the One Who Rides

Pallbearers Envying the One Who Rides

Consider the mysteries of the heart, that blood-pumping organ and, in Stephen Dobyns' latest collection of poems, the hapless romantic of our interior landscape. "The Himalayas Within Him" finds Heart worrying about the sound of his own heartbeat, wondering why it doesn't "blare like a quartet of trombones" as it reflects his "ardent complexity." In "Goodbye to the Hands T ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Pallbearers Envying the One Who Rides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pallbearers Envying the One Who Rides

Robert Beveridge
Feb 02, 2009 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Stephen Dobyns, Pallbearers Envying the One Who Rides (Penguin, 1999)

What a great name for a book. Ain't it? It's what drew me to Dobyns' tenth book of poetry. Once I cracked the cover, his long-limbed, loose-jointed style kept me going:

“Heart considers the nature of fairness—
how some folks get pearls, others pebbles.
A rock falls out of the sky, who it smacks
is anyone's guess—butcher, crook, or priest.
Heart is struck by the unfairness of fairness.
What does it mean to deserve something?”
(“Great J
David
Jul 28, 2008 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a book that's after something. Every poem (except for the long one at the center of the book) has Heart as its main character, a Heart that's always searching for something -- wisdom, a new identity, companionship, reassurance, diversion -- and the search, which is of course also somewhat the search of the author as well, is itself inspiring. Heart learns various things in these plain-speaking poems, though not generally in a lasting way, and the real point, in the end, is the search. Th ...more
Christopher Barnes
Aug 27, 2007 Christopher Barnes rated it it was amazing
I love Stephen Dobyns! This series of poems is from the perspective of a character called "Heart"---sometimes the literal organ ("He's tired of being a heart/and wants to be a lung. A lung never lacks/a sister or brother."), at others a man ("Heart lies on a board with his hands crossed/on his chest. He is neither resting, nor sick./He's working very hard.") The humor is deliciously dark and but it's balanced by Heart's almost sweet insights into the human condition.
Jenny
Aug 27, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I loved this, but some sections more than others. The poems had a depth and thoughtfulness disguised as a littery of words that I found provocative and always a little bit out of reach. It was the suggestion of a collective feeling and humanity and thought that is not often put into words.
I found several of the poems in the Heart I section compelling, but thematically, I found the Immobility section closest to my own heart.
Rich
Apr 05, 2008 Rich rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Dobyns is a contemporary master of free-verse narrative poetry. In this collection, he focuses on the characters of "Heart" and "Death." Sure, that can come off as a little pompous, but like a lot of his other works, he chooses to focus on strong imagery, precise language, and making "Heart" and "Death" as close to real people as he can.
Rachel
Feb 12, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, for-a-class
I liked this, but not as much as I like Dobyn's selected poems. As much as I can appreciate the Heart conceit, it felt long near the end, and a bit repetitive. Still, I love his highly controlled style--so much internal rhyme within each line!--and dug the book considerably.
Caroline
Oct 21, 2013 Caroline added it
Shelves: poetry
Enjoyed these bittersweet, wry reflections on aging
Alane
Oct 18, 2007 Alane rated it it was amazing
Strange and troubling sometimes, but all rings true.
Jessica
Jul 03, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
I liked the expansive scope of this book, and the consistency of voice.
Joshua Seprodi
Jun 29, 2009 Joshua Seprodi rated it it was amazing
Stephen Dobyns once again proves that he is the greatest living modern poet. Period.
Ryan Kilby
Ryan Kilby rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2017
Elissa
Elissa rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2009
Gary Logan Hobdy
Gary Logan Hobdy rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2011
Jake Adam
Jake Adam rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2007
Niza Mariñas
Niza Mariñas rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Jim McGarrah
Jim McGarrah rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2009
Drew
Drew rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2008
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2012
Natania Turk
Natania Turk rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2007
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2010
Scott Wordsman
Scott Wordsman rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2009
Vanessa Mora
Vanessa Mora rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
X-ray Iris
X-ray Iris rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2007
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Claire Wheeler
Claire Wheeler rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Laure-anne
Laure-anne rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2008
Patrick Andrews
Patrick Andrews rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2010
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dobyns was raised in New Jersey, Michigan, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. He was educated at Shimer College, graduated from Wayne State University, and received an MFA from the Iowa Writers' Workshop at the University of Iowa in 1967. He has worked as a reporter for the Detroit News.

He has taught at various academic institutions, including Sarah Lawrence College, the Warren Wilson College MFA Program
More about Stephen Dobyns...