Start by marking “The Uncertain Art: Thoughts on a Life in Medicine” as Want to Read:
The Uncertain Art: Thoughts on a Life in Medicine

The Uncertain Art: Thoughts on a Life in Medicine

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
“Life is short, and the Art so long; the occasion fleeting; experience fallacious; and judgment difficult. The physician must not only be prepared to do what is right himself, but also to make the patient, the attendants, and the externals, cooperate.”
–attributed to Hippocrates, c. 400 B.C.E.

The award-winning author of How We Die and The Art of Aging, venerated physician S
Published May 20th 2008 by Random House (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Uncertain Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Uncertain Art

Judy
Jan 28, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
This is a series of essays by Dr. Nuland who wrote How We Die. The most interesting chapters are about acupuncture, grave robbing for bodies in the last century, cocaine as an anesthetic in the past, and his vision of medicine by the end of this century...WOW!. You won't believe the chapter on treating women in the 1800's for "hysteria" (sexual) and double wow.
My favorite book of his is Lost in America, a memoir.
Nov 03, 2014 Sarah rated it did not like it
Soooo dry.... I will die a death of boredom! I quit only a few chapters in. This book is way too detached. I do not want academic doctor thoughts. I want to get to know the doctor as a human, to know how they think. If that is the kind of book you are looking for, look somewhere else.
Hannah
May 04, 2016 Hannah rated it liked it
While bits of this were fascinating, much more was meandering.
Lisa
Aug 17, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
There were many interesting insights into not only the life of a physician but the art of medicine and the care, body and soul, of the patient. It is written in self-contained, essay-like format, so you can pick and choose which parts you find most compelling or interesting. The section on acupuncture was especially interesting, as was the explanation for why we say "God Bless You" after someone sneezes.
Jun 03, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Some useful pints for practicing medicine
lola
Dec 17, 2008 lola rated it it was ok
Anyone who mentions the Flexner report without mentioning that it helped to close down pretty much every medical school for black or women doctors has a big heavy stupid white privilege knapsack shoved up his ass. Otherwise not such a bad dude, loved the end piece about his bromance with a heart transplant patient.
Avalon
Sep 20, 2013 Avalon rated it it was ok
A collection of essays -- I liked some a lot, others I didn't care for. Wish there was a more central theme and more about how to manage difficult decisions/emotions/etc (similar to the heart transplant patient story at the end) but overall an interesting read.
Bd Drop
May 02, 2013 Bd Drop rated it liked it
A collection of disjointed essays. Some good, some not great. Overall, had to skim most of it - there was no central theme.
Eric_W
Nov 12, 2008 Eric_W rated it it was ok
An uneven collection of essays resurrected from The American Scholar.
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Art Lambert
Art Lambert rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Marta
Marta marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Ines
Ines marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Jen Genest
Jen Genest marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Edna
Edna marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Bruce
Bruce rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Jun
Jun marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Juliet P
Juliet P marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
Apr 07, 2016
Jill
Jill is currently reading it
May 14, 2016
Helen Murray
Helen Murray rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Mira
Mira marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Warren Serra
Warren Serra marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sherwin Nuland was an American surgeon and author who taught bioethics and medicine at the Yale University School of Medicine. He was the author of The New York Times bestseller and National Book Award winning How We Die, and has also written for The New Yorker, The New York Times, The New Republic, Time, and the New York Review of Books.

His NYTimes obit: http://nyti.ms/1kxNtQC
More about Sherwin B. Nuland...

“knowledge without wisdom is a clear and present danger” 0 likes
“The kind of child our society resembles just now is one whose intelligence far exceeds his maturity. Every teacher and every parent knows what a formula for disaster that can be.” 0 likes