Start by marking “Haunted America” as Want to Read:
Haunted America

Haunted America

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A compendium of seventy American true ghost legends includes battlefield specters at Little Big Horn, ghostly apparitions in President Garfield's home in Ohio, and hauntings in the Washington, D.C., White House. 50,000 first printing. $50,000 ad/promo. Tour.
Published October 1st 1994 by Tor Books (first published 1994)

Takipsilim
Memorable collection of ghostly tales from all states including Canada. From the historic to the amusing, the charming to the creepy, the book is one of the best in it's field.
Emily
Apr 15, 2012 Emily rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants ghost stories but still wants to go to sleep
Haunted America by Michael Norman and the late Beth Scott is a collection of ghost stories and legends from America's fifty states and Canada's provinces. The other books in this collection are Haunted Heartland and Haunted Wisconsin, all exceedingly better (not saying much) than this one. This book has a lot of dry stories, but the ones that keep me coming back are the Hell House in Louisiana and the music room in Illinois.

Hell House was about a slave owner, Madame Lalaurie, who really wasn't
Andrea Malarkey
Good read. Part of it scared me...but in a good way.
Trina
Feb 25, 2008 Trina rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one stay away
Recommended to Trina by: it was on my book shelf I felt obligated
Awful!!! And I did not even finish the book. Haunted America my butt. I read 6 stories and I was unimpressed. It was not scary nor thrilling or even slightly enjoyable. I am one of those people that will finish a book no matter what, this one I just could not stomach. I refused to be bored to death for one more day, maybe that is the scary part. This was just a snooze. Beware of book intended to bore the little ones into a early nights rest!!! HA HA, I crack me up!
Kate
Nov 02, 2008 Kate rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: impressionable youngsters, ghost story suckers
Shelves: paranormal
Bleh...it takes a lot for me to give any ghost book 2 stars. This one is organized by state - and there's only one ghost story per state. Texas gets the Marfa Lights - there are a million better ghost stories in Texas! The real problem was the writing, it felt like they wrote off for the Chamber of Commerce brochures and edited in bland, fourth-hand ghost stories. But, I'll still read every last one...I'm a sucker.
Jessica
This book is loaded with ghost stories and legends from across the US and Canada. Most of the stories offer a glimpse at the history behind the legends from these different eras and regions, which I found fascinating. The only problem I had with the book were the typos that littered the text, which occasionally made the story confusing.
Mary
In October, I choose ghost stories to read, and I like to take this and other books that contain short ghost stories with me when I go to the gym. This gets me in the mood for Halloween. I like this book and Haunted Heartland because most of the stories are not too scary...I don't like them to be "out there."
Alicia
I couldn't get into the book, so I never completed the book. Becasue I live in KY I skipped to and read the stories about KY and even though I recognize a couple of the places being written about I didn't find the stories that interesting.
Stacey
This was a pretty fun read. There was even a ghost who turned on the television ( which was without power ) every day to watch Star Trek - so of course being a longtime Trekkie, I loved that! Ill probably end up doing that after I die!
Lesley
I guess you could say I "read" this...if you count that I only read the first 35 pages. Unfortunately, I was too disappointed to continue reading it.
Lisa
A few truly spooky stories (like the Gray Man on Pawleys Island before hurricanes), but all in all too long and in some places immensely boring.
Casey
I enjoyed reading some of the stories. I think some stories/events were just to fill the book, but other than that I liked it.
Shirley
Has the story of my great-great aunt Leah Smock whom legends have it she was a witch and burned to death.
Austen
May 09, 2010 Austen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good ghost story
Very creepy stuff. Don't read the Horicon, Wisconsin chapter on a dark and stormy night. Trust me.
Vanora
An annual October read for me -- gets me into the Halloween "spirit"!
Jaime
Decent compilation. Rich with history and excellent explanations.
Jennie
Love reading about haunted houses and such very interesting
Pyxipyro
Love the different stories and what happened in them.
Stephen
made me look over my shoulder for a while!
Sherry Jowers
I truly enjoyed this book.
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Charlotte Gates
Charlotte Gates marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
william tiemann
william tiemann is currently reading it
Nov 28, 2014
Kacey Wroten
Kacey Wroten marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
  • Haunted Heartland
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Ghosts: True Encounters with the World Beyond
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Supernatural Locations
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions, and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • Passing Strange: True Tales of New England Hauntings and Horrors
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • The Big Book of the Unexplained
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • Haunting Experiences: Encounters with the Otherworldly
Michael Norman is a writer who makes his home in Western Wisconsin.

He is the author most recently of "The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends," published in 2009 by the Minnesota Historical Society Press.

He is the co-author with the late Beth Scott of the popular Haunted America series of ghost stories, and the co-author with writer Carol Roecklein of two vocabulary books written
More about Michael Norman...
Historic Haunted America Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories Haunted Wisconsin Haunted Homeland: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends